• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound 4 Beast Coast Melee Crew Battle Discussion

Cia

das kwl
Plairnkk - It's not that we doubt your skills as a player. It's about having a diverse character pool. While I don't think having two Sheiks is bad, It's probably not going to be the best possible combination for us. I think Tope should have the first Sheik slot because he's the best against spacies. (the most common match up) Pound crews is 8v8 right? So here's what it looks like.

Mew2King - Marth
ChuDat - Ice Climbers
Jman - Fox
Darc - Jigglypuff
Hax - Captain Falcon
Tope - Sheik
Eggm - Fox
HBK - Marth

We don't have a Peach or a Falco, but considering this line up's match up control, I'd say we're fine. I have a few crew battle strategies I'd like to talk about, but I'd rather do that on AIM.

and I do agree with Plairnkk about waiting for the last minute to make a "final decision" about our starters. I've seen players get sooo much better in the shortest amounts of time. I've also seen players fall off. let's see what happens.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
you were on more than a few people's initial lists of people to consider. at least when I was making my considerations for the last list I posted, these were the main things that kept you off:

1. you're the TO, and as such will be exhausted and stressed out of your mind. it sucks, but it's the TO's lot in life to do poorly at his own tournies, especially since you're a responsible one and this tourney is huge.

2. you don't travel OoS much any more and the only one I can think of in the past like 6 months is Saffron which didn't go so hot for you. I can overlook sick johns and such, it's just that for those of us outside of MD/VA, we don't have a lot to go on for you.

3. for as much as you can say you're a better version of Tope, he sure looks better vs. Fox. He might not be, I'm just saying, dude's a monster vs. Fox and I haven't seen your vs. Fox game in awhile.

I agree that making final calls on Monday is a better idea than making them now. There's a whole month for everyone worth considering to get better/worse, no need to make final cuts yet.

Final Note: I do agree that smart Sheiks are at a premium right now, and especially as I'm considering South's crew, it'd be nice to have 2-3 sheiks to just rob Rock Crock and Linguini of their stocks when they get sent out.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah but this paired with the fact head to head I think I would beat at least half of those on the actual list. Tope is considered the best cuz he travelled to a few of the bigger regional tournaments. Tope is not that good against Fox, and I've never had the chance to fight Jman or Cactaur either. But I dont even wanna argue against Tope since he's my boy, i'm not even trying to take his spot, just one as a whole.

Also these MD/VA tournies are still tournies that OOS goes to. I just think that there should be a fair way to decide, rather than just assuming inactivity=bad. I still play tons, just not tournies cuz I'm a waiter and Saturdays are too good of money!

It's kinda gay how missing a few tournies skews people's perceptions so much of skill, but I guess it's only fair. I will prove my place at Pound XD

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
@mogwai, not to mention to **** europe's armada/amsah? Europe will SUCK SO HORRIBLY vs NTSC sheik.
at pound 3 i played NO friendlies, was stressed, and got 17th in singles and like 9th in teams, both were really good considering the competition. At this tournament I have a huge team helping me, and I'm not even running/entering brawl which is on Monday....

@vanz, you guys are putting too much weight on having a diverse team. Skill and coming through under pressure=10x more important than character Diversity. Melee is beautiful in that matchups don't matter that much. Being a clutch crew battle player is so important, which I definitely am.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer

Mew2King - Marth
ChuDat - Ice Climbers
Jman - Fox
Darc - Jigglypuff
Hax - Captain Falcon
Tope - Sheik
Eggm - Fox
HBK - Marth
That player roster is so gross omggggg >____<

...which is why I listed Tec0 even though it's 50/50ish in my mind...
If its between me and Vanz put in Vanz IMO.

Plank - Are you going to allow CPing/CP stages in crews?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
No, stadium won't be a neutral.

Each crew has 10 people, you can pick any 8 from the 10 for each crew battle. You could use the same 8 everytime, or switch it up. You pick the 8 before each individual crew battle.

Cia

das kwl
That player roster is so gross omggggg >____<

If its between me and Vanz put in Vanz IMO.

Plank - Are you going to allow CPing/CP stages in crews?

gross bad? or gross good?

and I neither of us make cut i think. ^_^'

and if so i'd much rather it be you. unless they need me as falcon bait.

plairnkk - i'll respond to ur post, tmr. too tired

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
No, stadium won't be a neutral.

Each crew has 10 people, you can pick any 8 from the 10 for each crew battle. You could use the same 8 everytime, or switch it up. You pick the 8 before each individual crew battle.
Ahhh ok awesome, sorry for being outta the loop LMAO

So.... then...

1)Darc
2)Hax
3)Eggm
4)m2k
5)Tope
6)Chu
7)Jman
8)PC Chris
9)Vanz
10)Plank/maybe me?

I think adding vanz is a good idea since we can use him as a peach (For Jiggs/Falco) and he could be a second ICz since a lot of players are uncommon with the ICz match up or sheik or etc.

Though I love everyone for nominating me I feel as if everyone is using pound 3 crews as their reasoning to put me into crews. While I love the idea I feel like it should be based on current skill level/tournament placements.

I'd gladly nominate the 10 spot to plank instead of me if Plank feels so confident in his own play. I unfortunately don't really pride myself on any particular match up unlike plank. The only reason to put me over plank is that I'm quite comfortable playing like 4 different characters.

Vanz - As in ****en amazing :)

pockyD

Smash Legend
diversity is severely overrated

i'm pretty sure a team of all foxes (like what WC tried to approach at FC3) would do some serious damage

Cia

das kwl
diversity isn't my main agenda. If our top 10 best were all Foxes, that's who we'd be using. but we have the luxury of diversity and it's soo good for luring certain players and getting an early stock advantage. I'm not going to say too much more about it here, but i'm going to flag people down on aim, and do a mass chat or something so we can talk about discuss strategies and.. stuff.

:o

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
I think we all have a good idea of which ten players are the top ten players. Therefore, we have a general idea of who should be on the crew, but I strongly agree with VanZ's point about waiting to see the results of Pound and see how everyone is playing that weekend to make a final decision on who should represent us in crews.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I thought you guys were putting pc and me on the list as alts. In case there in an emergency cuz y'all *****s are gay.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
if cactuar plays in crews i think EC has definitely got this (assuming everyone else on the list is confirmed).

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
No actually. I really don't want to play. I am solely motivated to play at this event by my teammate and to contribute to the nesnoob fund with mms.

Ill play in crews if my teammate wants me to.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
let cactus do what he wants. we can have him as an alternate if thats what he desires, and call him in on maybe just the hardest crew battle or something

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
wow srs business in this thread

umm thoughts.....

- If PC chris wants a spot on the main taem he should be granted it regardless of anything. He brought it back for us last year and is PC chris of all people. He should have the highest amount of priority due to the combination of his skill and seniority. If theres anyone who gets "im 1337 and have priority over you." status its PC. I'd even argue that Cort should get this too but thats a hell of a stretch.*insert epic pound3 cort vs azen story*

one last thing. If HBK is NOT on this team there is something wrong srsly. there are like 2 marths in the nation and he is arguably one of the best.(best on EC) but besides that he has a good track record(not the best but up there) and will MOS DEF catch lots of players off guard and is shutdown vs spacies hes is great for char diversity and CP.

/vouch

thx sheik ur awesome

Hax

Smash Champion
stacked team:

M2K
PC
Jman
Cactuar
Hax
Darc
Tope
Chu

holy **** we are winning this crew battle.

xyt

Smash Lord
stacked team:

M2K
PC
Jman
Cactuar
Hax
Darc
Tope
Chu

holy **** we are winning this crew battle.
If this were to be our Top 8, our alternates should be HBK and Eggm imo

- If PC chris wants a spot on the main taem he should be granted it regardless of anything. He brought it back for us last year and is PC chris of all people. He should have the highest amount of priority due to the combination of his skill and seniority. If theres anyone who gets "im 1337 and have priority over you." status its PC. I'd even argue that Cort should get this too but thats a hell of a stretch.*insert epic pound3 cort vs azen story*
have you heard of the more relevant epic Cort vs. Joe Bushman story? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

-self promotion.
I am good vs jiggs/IC/peach. I have wins to help support this. I dun expect to be on crews come pound4 unless I start putting up SNES and SPOCVIII numbers in the upcoming tourneys but just providing some insight cuz we may NOT have the opportunity to stack our team with like M2K and cactuar may not play etc etc. there are lots of good players on EC so im just glad to be mentioned by some.
If it ain't Chu it's done son! but... the reality is that.. if it ain't Chu there is only like.. Wobbles... there aren't many ICs that would be on a regional crew lol

Same goes to Jiggs. you're **** vs. jiggs i'll give you that.. but there are only two jiggs that you are not **** against.. and those two are mango and hbox... and sadly.. those two are the only jiggs out there that would be on a regional crew.. (except maybe sliq)

one last thing. If HBK is NOT on this team there is something wrong srsly. there are like 2 marths in the nation and he is arguably one of the best.(best on EC) but besides that he has a good track record(not the best but up there) and will MOS DEF catch lots of players off guard and is shutdown vs spacies hes is great for char diversity and CP.

/vouch
Seconded Seconded Seconded.
-People just don't comprehend the extent to which HBK is amazing and at the same time underrated.
-I would confidently say, out of active players, he'ssecond only to M2K in the US when it comes to Marth.
-In addition, out of active players, I would also argue that he's #1 in tristate.

-Too bad HBK wants to play for WC = / .....

Hax

Smash Champion
as stated before diversity isn't a priority. i.e. we have 4 top foxes; that is better than 3 top foxes and a top marth. our top 8 just so happens to be the list i posted, so imo those people should play. alternates include hbk/scar (are they playing for WC?), eggm (probably #9 :() and vanz/teczero

xyt

Smash Lord
as stated before diversity isn't a priority. i.e. we have 4 top foxes; that is better than 3 top foxes and a top marth. our top 8 just so happens to be the list i posted, so imo those people should play. alternates include hbk/scar (are they playing for WC?), eggm (probably #9 :() and vanz/teczero
HBK isn't an alternate because of diversity.
He's up there because he's good enough to be top 10 on EC given current active players.
Diversity is merely an additional advantange.

Scar is playing for WC i think.. and I doubt Plank would let HBK play for WC.

Also, as much as I love Tec0 and Vanz and both of them being good at this game. I doubt they'd get a spot if we're talking about you're current top 10 and a toss up between HBK/Scar/Eggm for alternates. <3 Tunes

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Hax, stop spreading the HBK wants to play for WC lies. HBK is East Coast, end of story. If I hear about him playing for West Coast any more... well, if I were a mod, I'd ban you, but I'm not so let's just not talk about him playing for West Coast cause he has no ties to the West Coast and therefore couldn't even play for them if he wanted to.

R3N0

Smash Lord
hell yes @ azen if he's going. hbk is another good choice; we need at least 1 marth. i'm thinking vanz would be another good choice; he's really proven himself recently and plays a bunch of characters we're deprived of.

idk what the situation with scar/m2k/pc is but either of them should def. play for us if they come.
why would you recommend azen though..? he hasn't been in melee in soooo soooo long, i know its nice to think of your heroes as amazing still, but look at the facts people. geez

Where is cactus in that list aziz?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i say we stop debating and wait til after singles is over at p4. we have an entire night to decide and i think seeing how big this tourney is it will be a big decider...

Hax

Smash Champion
crews are being done after singles? kinda wack..

reno at first cactus wasn't playing so he wasn't on the original list; he is now though

also wtf @ me spreading hbk playing for WC rumors? clearly i'm considering having him play for EC, mogwai what are you talking about haha. i just wasn't sure who he's playing for

idk azen's status right now in melee so my fault for considering him

Top Bottom