• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Conceptart is so intimidating. @________@ The people on there seem really willing to help though.

I got noticed on deviantart back in the day by drawing colorful wolves :awesome: I think people forgot about me now.

Geist

Smash Master
It's all about efficiency and professionalism.
Not lugging around a ruler everywhere you go is much more accessible and comfortable, plus being able to draw straight is just widely regarded as being more professional. On the more practical side, besides being just an overall valuable skill to have, manual drawing is faster, plus you can vary lineweight and give your line much better nuances, and it just looks better, for the same reason mechanical pencil drawings usually turn out uglier than wood pencils.

Imagine using a ruler and stencil on 30 second life drawing gestures for hours on end.

Or imagine a potential client wants a quick idea drawn out on the spot. It's the artist's job to be able to communicate to his/her audience, and there's no way you can effectively do that with a ruler.

Anjila

Smash Cadet
Also...Joke entry won that playmat contest I entered. Awww yeeeeeeah.
Congrats! I'd totes use the store credit on Pokémon cards, just to stare at the pretty card art. Or buy a million Magic: The Gathering cards for my brother-in-law (and also stare at the art).

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
So, I decided not to do a deviant art.

I don't like their terms of service.

I actually sat there and read it all, because I take my content seriously and do believe my art would net alot of attention.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
What exactly did you not like about the terms of service?

Guess there's always blogspot or making your own site or something. I've heard the latter is the best option anyway for creating a professional portfolio.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Saying that I agree that they are not held liable for any sort of legal issues should any arise and something about them able to use my content free of any royalties to me, I.E I don't get paid for my content should they make money off of it, unless otherwise stated/written. All I would have is rights to my own content as the artist.

I don't know.

I suppose I'll just set up my own website via Godaddy.com plus I know someone who is a web designer.

I'll try to go the route of AwkwardZombie and Gunnerkrigg Court.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Lol yeah, come to think of it I have seen people complain about that. Oh weeelll, you could create an account anyway and just upload things you don't care about getting stolen. Like fanart n junk.

I feel terrible for neglecting that project now. ;_; *starts drawing*
Mission accomplished.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Websites don't cost all that much nowadays, so I don't see why I shouldn't :)

Geist

Smash Master
When I begin to do professional peices, I won't be putting them up on DA, but artwork that I do in my spare time I don't really care about. I just want people to see it for networking reasons.
Of course, networking art-wise isn't important for those not getting into it professionally anyways.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I saw the name change in my subscriptions list and Id like to sign up for this club.
Are there badges?

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alienware's are soooooooooooooooo overpriced...

You probably could've saved some money getting something else.

Anyway...

[collapse=There's a pony in here btw.]
[/collapse]

Sketchy request from Slush the Sinister

Yeah I do those sometimes.

Geist

Smash Master
I've had my eyes set on an alienware for a while now. Considering that ordering from their website effectively cuts out the middleman, it's still a better option than getting like a toshiba or whatever with the same specs.

I would definitely build my own PC, but for a laptop I'd rather just pay the extra money and go with an alienware.
Plus they look like they're from the future

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
I have an Asus Gaming laptop, I love it, but I am thinking of buying a super powered desktop, if I can ever scrape the money to get it, haha.

Whoever has watched that video of the artist on Lokii's art blog thing, I have a question;
Do you guys draw like that? I have to do thumbnails, and mockups, etc. to get down and know what I want to do, but it just looked like that guy ( or gal ) just was like "whatever, **** it" and painted big shapes, then refined it. This blows my mind. Is it a lot easier to do stuff like this when you work digitally? Maybe I am ruined, having been much more influenced by western comic pencilers, instead of mangakas. Also I am a *****, and am starved for deviant attention so : http://marccasper.deviantart.com/

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Didnt get the free xbox...I mean, 4GB didnt seem worth it IMO :/ and besides, im just going to live in my friend's dorm room and hijack his xbox o wo He doesnt know it yet though....

That artist is just insane...I love this style now, though. I'm thinking of using it more often. i'ts really unique, but it helps with 1 layer paintings in defining shapes, lines, and shading.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm sure most of you remember this.

I figured I'd update you on what I've done. Been a very slow process, and with photoshop becoming screwy after a period of time, it makes it difficult to work with. I'd like to work with paint tool SAI, but my trial is up and to continue with it requires I pay for it, which is a tad difficult atm.

As you can see digital painting is not my forte. :)

EDIT - the arms are mostly done, but the rope is something I'm currently working on. It'll get better in time.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You won't believe how hard it was to construct those and it look right. Being that I haven't taken a life study class, I think I'm doing fine for myself.

Thanks for that compliment. :)

Geist

Smash Master
I'm doing hardcore muscle anatomy studies in life drawing now. It's so hard, but it helps sooo much.
You're doing a pretty good job so far Zio :D

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
What goes on during life drawing classes? Is that the cliche thing where you sketch nude people and stuff? Also, I need to hit up those live streams to observe all your techs and approaches to stuff. I don't even know how to layer images and stuff.

Top Bottom