• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Polygons and whatnot (mostly polygons)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
lol, cliche
It's easily the most useful class I have for improving drawing skills. I've improved at ungodly rates because of life drawing.
Granted, I've only ever been to one life drawing class, but it didn't really do anything for me. But I'm more of a graphic design type of guy, and I'd rather focus on what makes up a human figure, rather than it actually looking exactly like one.
That said, I'm not much cop at drawing human figures anyway, and in my opinion if I see something that looks human, no matter how simple it looks, I can tell its human.

I'm alright at drawing people standing upright/with slight foreshortening, such as thrusting their palm out and what have you, but any dynamic pose is beyond me.

Lool

I GOT MY CLASSES <3
Only 2 this quarter + no gen ed <3
Fund. of Design and Color Theory awww yeah.
I love colour theory XD.
Spent around 6-7 months studying it during my college course.

Geist

Smash Master
Granted, I've only ever been to one life drawing class, but it didn't really do anything for me. But I'm more of a graphic design type of guy, and I'd rather focus on what makes up a human figure, rather than it actually looking exactly like one.
That said, I'm not much cop at drawing human figures anyway, and in my opinion if I see something that looks human, no matter how simple it looks, I can tell its human.
Nah making something that looks exactly like a person isn't what life drawing is about. Life drawing is about applying force to a figure, be it for a human or an animated inanimate object (like the magic carpet from aladdin or whatever) using reference from life. The focus should be on strong silhouettes, conveying a message through movement, and creating a basis for drawings - not the structure itself. The model is only there for inspiration.

Also, I imagine a single class wouldn't show much improvement, especially if you're taking it from the wrong direction. But 4 hours straight a week with industry pros critiquing your work does wonders.

of course it's also less relevant for graphic design, but for animators and modellers it's a must

neous

Smash Journeyman
my estranged cousin that lived in my house before i moved in left a sketchbook filled with life drawings and nekkid women, and from what i remember the drawings were quite good. my mom found it a few years back in the attic and decided to throw it out >.>

now im forced to take cruddy pictures of myself with my phone or laptop webcam for anatomical reference (i has no camera + tripod). i am now left with questionable pictures of myself on my HD.

either that or scour the internet for naked women,
which leaves me with questionable pictures on my HD...

or i could just forget about anatomical accuracy all together.
which would then make the pictures on my HD REALLY questionable.

Geist

Smash Master
lol niiice zio

my estranged cousin that lived in my house before i moved in left a sketchbook filled with life drawings and nekkid women, and from what i remember the drawings were quite good. my mom found it a few years back in the attic and decided to throw it out >.>

now im forced to take cruddy pictures of myself with my phone or laptop webcam for anatomical reference (i has no camera + tripod). i am now left with questionable pictures of myself on my HD.

either that or scour the internet for naked women,
which leaves me with questionable pictures on my HD...

or i could just forget about anatomical accuracy all together.
which would then make the pictures on my HD REALLY questionable.
lol
there's a few websites floating around the internet that just have a massive archive of models of all shapes and sizes in pretty much any pose. There was one that cycled through every 30 seconds to 5 minutes that was really really good. But the only reference site I can remember at the moment off the top of my head is http://www.posemaniacs.com/
They have thousands of rotatable 3d renders that show muscles and anatomy pretty well.

neous

Smash Journeyman
wooooow thanks geist. better than the crappy watermarked stuff i was looking at before when i tried finding legit references. now i can save space on my hard drive. tyty.

edit: lame way to start a new page.... quick, someone post art for once.
edit2: quoting zio's comic so ppl dont miss it

Sometimes I do things that are funny . . .

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
For some reason Lokii's drawing made me lol. Sketching at 3:20 = the best

Speaking of drawings I got a Wacom Bamboo for my birthday. I really like it so far.

2 hours of messin' around + Ghost Pokemanz.

I need to enroll in the School of global-wolf. :awesome:

neous

Smash Journeyman
cool / cute Lokii!

sorry to infringe, but i made small edit

someone give her the white hat with bunny ears, green backpack, a cat, a lumpy space prince, and shes good to go. i would, but i dont have the tools!!!

also, that vid... lol
and neon, i got one too for my birthday. and thus my mspaint efficiency has increased ten fold.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
: o Awesomeness, Neon!!!

ALSO NEOUS THAT IS GLORIOUS.
GLORIOUSSSSSS
-now has the adventure time theme stuck in her head-

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Hey I gots a coolio proposition for one of yas. I wanted to practice freestyle piano so what I was going to do is get a video of something drawn by hand, time lapse it so that it fits a set amount of time, then freestyle a song dealing with the subject piece and what part was being drawn at the time. Im not sure if that makes sense!

neous

Smash Journeyman
tiger, i thought u were gonna to say you were going to stream yourself playing piano with one hand while drawing with the other... :/ ... rly wanted to see that.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
:) Making custom ipod themes are fun. Sucks that when taking clips from anime, you get a lot background residual noise :/ I'm not proficient enough to filter out different sounds from a video clip, if that's even possible.

neous

Smash Journeyman
since this is semi smash related, and because you're all too busy to post things (and too busy to help out tiger?) i thought id post this

i was going thru pics and found http://kanoe-v2.deviantart.com/art/Christmas-Shoryuken-151417646 on my hd.

made me think of ganon's f-air [first few frames of f-air] and i thought it was funny that there were "street clothes" in a streetfighter themed pic.

so i proceeded to draw a rippoff. it was fun though.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer

BLACK★ROCK SHOOTER Fanart FINALLY done. The lineart took forever TT__TT ESPECIALLY THE FREAKING ROCK CANNON. ROCK CANNON WHY YOU SO COMPLICATED?!

(and yes, the anatomy is a tad off...i was stylizin' this one aww yeah)

neous

Smash Journeyman
i have the brs artbooks, theyre aight

lokii, compared to your other stuff ive seen, i think you're capable of a much higher level of polish [on this piece] :o

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hey guys, love most of everyone's work here. Fantastic job, though I wish more pastel work got some love. :(

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
its up to you, star

edit: this thread has been kinda slow recently, i wouldnt mind seeing any of your stuff star, pastel or not.
I haven't done my little computer artwork in years. Only time I really got involved with that was with Starmen.net back in the day. It was very, VERY simplistic

[COLLAPSE="Old artwork"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Yeah... Looking back it wasn't fantastic...

Now I mainly do signatures and other banner work such as that.

Geist

Smash Master
Nice work guys :D

I would be posting more stuff but I've unfortunately been bestowed with 18 hours of homework a week, so it's taking all effort just to be able to do anything in my free time.
I'd be posting work if it wasn't always one giant semester long project for class. We're starting to get into some serious stuff. Modelling characters is super exciting lol

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hallo my AE buddies. The art's looking really nice :D

Starphoenix, what color do you post in? O_o I swear it looks just like mine.
Nevermind, I got what you are saying.

#CCFF66

Kind of a cream yellow.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And here I thought I wasn't going to run into anyone using that color anytime soon...

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Yeah, I thought my color was unique. D:

[collapse=Pidgeot W.I.P.]
[/collapse]
I really like it so far and I wanna make it nice and pretty and stuff. It looks kinda bland though... does anyone have any tips?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yeah, I thought my color was unique. D:

[collapse=Pidgeot W.I.P.]
[/collapse]
I really like it so far and I wanna make it nice and pretty and stuff. It looks kinda bland though... does anyone have any tips?
Why not decorate the tree branch more? Maybe a couple of lingering leaves? Or you could take some feathers and have some drifting in the air?

Overall nice work.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Thanks. :D Yeah, I'm planning to add some leaves and render it more and stuff. What I'm more concerned about is the colors and composition though... My color-selecting skills are pretty garbage, and these look kinda bleh. Especially since the background is just green lol.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Thanks. :D Yeah, I'm planning to add some leaves and render it more and stuff. What I'm more concerned about is the colors and composition though... My color-selecting skills are pretty garbage, and these look kinda bleh. Especially since the background is just green lol.
Look's fine to me, they are all within the same kind of "dusky green~brown" theme. Maybe your "ray" could benefit from an area with a slightly brighter highlight.

Really the only place that looks a little "off" is where the branch begins. Maybe it is just me but it doesn't seem dark enough or light enough? It's like stuck in this weird inbetween? O_o?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was mad confused, because I didn't see any colors, but then I realized, I have colors turned off.

So the only colors I see are the ones that people actually manually put in there, such as Global and I.

Top Bottom