• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll: Best doubles partner for Link

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Whenever I watch team tourneys, I always watch for moments when the fighters chain moves together into an effective offense. But when watching some other tourneys, certain teams will look more or less cohesive. That got me wondering. Who is the best partner for each character? Well, since I’m a casual Brawler, and I don’t have the expertise to judge, so why not ask the experts? I originally tried this on GameFAQs, but the users in general were immature, or not qualified to give the information. Then I remembered the specific boards on Smashboards, so I brought the poll here. So who do you think the best partner is for Link?

Rules:

- The poll will last for a week. If it becomes popular, it may last longer.
- You may only vote for one character.
- Assume friendly fire is on.
- Assume there are no items.
- After posting your answer, give a detailed reason why you choose that character. If you don’t give viable information, your vote will not be added.
- You may ask to change your vote if you have a viable reason.
- Discussion on your choices is allowed. NO FLAMES!!!
- If you vote Pokemon Trainer, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you vote on the Pokemon Trainer poll, you must discuss details for all his pokemon.
- If you want to use videos to explain your reasoning, feel free to post them, but remember. I play this game casually, so you have to explain what parts of the video are important and why they are important.
- You may vote on multiple polls.
- If issues occur, I may add or remove rules, so be sure to review the list.

Bowser – 0
Captain Falcon – 0
Diddy Kong – 0
Donkey Kong – 0
Falco – 0
Fox – 0
Game & Watch – 0
Ganondorf – 0
Ice Climbers – 0
Ike – 0
Jigglypuff – 0
King Dedede – 0
Kirby – 0
Link – 0
Lucario – 0
Lucas – 0
Luigi – 0
Mario – 0
Marth – 2
Meta Knight – 0
Ness – 0
Olimar – 0
Peach – 0
Pikachu – 0
Pit – 0
Pokemon Trainer – 0
R.O.B. – 0
Samus – 0
Sheik – 0
Snake – 0
Sonic – 1
Toon Link – 1
Wario – 0
Wolf – 0
Yoshi – 0
Zelda – 0
Zero Suit Samus – 0

Replies: 19

If your vote isn’t tallied, you may have done one of the following:

- You voted for multiple people or didn’t make your answer clear
- You voted for multiple characters
- You didn’t give a good reason.

Izaw

Smash Ace
Really depends on what the other Team chooses.

But I'd go with *Lucas* since i won a Double tourney with a Lucas and Link löl

Bouse

Smash Ace
Toon Link. If your partner is smart you can create a wall of projectiles. Me and Kilrain play it and we call it the "Mad Hatter" setup. The setup due to Link's Gale, Toon Link's mobility, and Link's DAC allows you to "change places" very readily. Not to mention his Dair spike is fantastic to lock people in combos like Fsmash Dair Fsmash (2nd hit) Dair TL Bair's them. You end up with 60%+ free damage in a split second. Not to mention if you pick your stages properly, you can just use that wall mechanic to build up damage. The characters are similar enough that they work together, but different enough that they provide different mechanics that complement each other.

Crow!

Smash Lord
The same poll has been copied across many character forums. I'm not sure that I support that. Are you really going to keep track of and update all of the polls you created? Good luck with that.

Link has a lot of tricks when things are going his way, but he has enough trouble dealing with the pressure applied by one good player, let alone two. I therefore want a partner who can deal with nuts and bolts fighting to return the game to the status quo when things start getting out of hand.

Thus I vote Marth, who excells at spacing in order to keep the game organized, and has the speed necessary to be wherever his assistance or pressure is most necessary at the moment.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Maybe Sonic because of Sonic's lack of projectiles and his speed. Sonic makes up for Link's lack of speed as well. Although, I can team with my brother and my friend who plays Marth. I agree with Crow! that Marth is a good partner as well. Although, you can't get too close or Marth'll end up sweet spotting you. D:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
"Looks around. doesn't see aurashade YET"
Says to myself: "Sigh aurashade.....sry if I beat you to this"

Have you even ever used a search button?

Most boards including Links already have this kind of thread. Next time I would suggest using it. Don't spam your stupid poll around all the characters. Take it to tactical or general discussion instead. Even better. Use that search button to search for your answers as they have been discussed a lot already and stop trying to fulfill your pre-teen curiosity.

I originally tried this on GameFAQs, but the users in general were immature, or not qualified to give the information
There is a reason GameFAQs rejected you, it was probably because you spammed across their site and annoyed the crap out of them just like you are doing to smash boards. Save the thread for 1 thread in tactical instead of making 37 crappy ones across the boards which will not only be 37 times more useless but also 37 times harder to manage.

Man I usually am not an aurashade but when you do stuff like this to all the boards, boards I actually visit and all i see is your crap, it really gets to me.

There will be people to criticize you for making the exact same thread on all of the boards, the mods don't like this. I may be the first but probably not the last.

Edited For Accuracy

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Marth is definately a good partner (not the best I guess), you can set up a wall of up b's: Marth does up b -> Link shoots a quick arrow at Marth -> Marth instantly up b's again

D

Deleted member

"Looks around. doesn't see aurashade YET"
Says to myself: "Sigh aurashade.....sry if I beat you to this"

Have you even ever used a search button?

Most boards including Links already have this kind of thread. Next time I would suggest using it. Don't spam your stupid poll around all the characters. Take it to tactical or general discussion instead. Even better. Use that search button to search for your answers as they have been discussed a lot already and stop trying to fulfill your pre-teen curiosity.

There is a reason GameFAQs rejected you, it was probably because you spammed across their site and annoyed the crap out of them just like you are doing to smash boards. Save the thread for 1 thread in tactical instead of making 37 crappy ones across the boards which will not only be 37 times more useless but also 37 times harder to manage.

I seriously doubt any of this will get through your head though because you don't even understand what redundancy is yet.

There will be people to criticize you for making the exact same thread on all of the boards, the mods don't like this. I may be the first but probably not the last.
swordplay's first nubslay

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
There's a reason actually. I posted only one topic on GameFAQs for Mario's partner as a litmus test. The responses were few and not good. I made 37 topics since I figured experts on each board could answer. If I put them on Tactical discussion on one topic, it would be chaotic to sort what each character was paired with. so I did it like this. still irritating, but easier nevertheless

Swordplay

Smash Lord
"Looks around. Still Doesn't see Aurashade"
Says to self "I wonder where he is?"

So I suppose my statement on GameFAQs was incorrect. Still you posted 1 topic for mario for a litmus test on GameFAQs and you say that the responses were few and not good.....Then you come here. Your test failed in GameFAQs and you decided to bring it here????

I suppose I should thank you for bringing your failure of an experiment to smashboards. Now we can have all or most of the 37 threads you created become useless failed topics filled with very little information just like they were at GameFAQs.

If it failed at first there is no reason for you to create 37 more of them. That is just ********.

"Looks around. Notices Aurashade is posting below me. I smile"

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
I saw this thread, and originally thought nothing was wrong with it, because I'd have hoped that no one post in it and let it die, but I guess things don't work like that yet.

Also wtf why would you ever make a thread you saw on gamefaqs here? Gamefaqs boards are usually filled with fail, are you some kind of foreign ******? Get out and please don't ever come back we don't need your dirt filth here.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
NEW RULE!

Leave all stupid threads with ZERO comments. Don't even mention how bad it is!

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Wow. I never knew the Link board was so friendly >___>
BTW, the thread seems to be doing well on other boards, but this was the only one who decided to cause a problem.

As for KayJay, blu link, Crow!, and bouse, thanks for being mature and responding with actual answers. Since you guys actually responded with maturity, I'll check back later to tally anymore results.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
Wow. I never knew the Link board was so friendly >___>
BTW, the thread seems to be doing well on other boards, but this was the only one who decided to cause a problem.

As for KayJay, blu link, Crow!, and bouse, thanks for being mature and responding with actual answers. Since you guys actually responded with maturity, I'll check back later to tally anymore results.
that's because:

-bad idea

-we don't want answers also crow is an idiot

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
bad idea? it's working so far on the other boards. this is the only board freaking out about it. it's only a bad idea because your making it a bad idea.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
bad idea? it's working so far on the other boards. this is the only board freaking out about it. it's only a bad idea because your making it a bad idea.
I'm not making it a bad idea as much as you are to keep this thread alive. Link doesn't want any partners, also seriously the characters and whatnot don't really have "combinations" with other characters, it heavily and 99% depends on how each person reacts with their partner. end of thread please leave.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
No. I don't think I will. The topic was fine until you started freaking out about it. If you don't like it, maybe you just ignore it.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
No. I don't think I will. The topic was fine until you started freaking out about it. If you don't like it, maybe you just ignore it.
If you dont like the thread just ignore it, thats what most fake trolls fail in.

I think Link and Snake would be good. But I tried Link and Lucas they **** pretty good.

reason: Snake is known to **** most of the cast in Brawl and you know lots of people use MK and Snake. So why not have a Snake on your team to **** everyone else. Link and Lucas/Marth is the best possible I could think of. In Brawl spacing is the ****ing key to win(reason why i hate brawl so much). Marth is amazing when it come to spacing its just he doesnt have long range weapons, and thats when Link steps in.

i'll add in once i have more time.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Funny you should say that. I have been considering it.
But no. Not right now.
I'm collecting data and information.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
If you dont like the thread just ignore it, thats what most fake trolls fail in.
I would love to ignore it but if people keep posting the thread won't die....that's what aurashade was saying.

If this thread had not been spammed across all the boards I might actually contribute something but instead I need to take out the trash....

Besides you logic is incorrect because Aurashade is not a fake troll. He is a REAL troll.
I won't replying for a week....at most....after this post..... I am curious to see how fast this thread dies...
I'll probably just edit this post if I want to say something.

Edit: Stos I find your logic flawed. If trolls just ignored threads they would be good trolls? Well then, they really wouldn't be trolling or be known as trolls if they didn't flame once and awhile and just ignored things. This thread pisses me off on a personal level because it is spammed across multiple boards. I am not really known as a troll, because I tend to ignore most things and aurashade is usually good enough for the link boards. This is just one of those few times that I need to troll because it pisses me off. I need to make a statement that spamming across boards is inappropriate and ********. I usually do ignore things but sometimes a troll needs his voice to be heard to make a statement and an important point. This is one of those times for me and I am sure aurashade has had many of those.

In order to make sure this thread dies asap, I would recommend using my strategy and just editing your last post instead of posting in ******** threads like these and continuing it. Not only are you able to make your point, you personally won't bring up old ******** threads.

Also Aurashade is right...Teamwork>>>>>Teamate.
Team battles are like 65% skill 33% team work and maybe 2% partner combinations
Conclusion: this thread fails because it's not worth talking about 2%....
It would be much more useful to talk about good teamwork strategies with Link than good partner combinations.
This not only goes for Link but all characters.

P.S. Lootic is smart....see post below.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Link needs no partner he is a one man **** machine, but if you must have a partner I suggest TL because I won a small tourney with my lil bro. We set up a wall of projectiles that no one could get through.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I would love to ignore it but if people keep posting the thread won't die....that's what aurashade was saying.

If this thread had not been spammed across all the boards I might actually contribute something but instead I need to take out the trash....

Besides you logic is incorrect because Aurashade is not a fake troll. He is a REAL troll.
I won't replying for a week....at most....after this post..... I am curious to see how fast this thread dies...
I'll probably just edit this post if I want to say something.
you have a point but when did Aurshade get in this? I never said aurashade at all. I know what he can do and im aware of his powers from Link boards in melee. Oh yeah and the thing your saying about people keep posting the thread and it wont die, i think thiers something called unsubcribe. but if a noob brings back a year old thread thats when a troll goes in. Or maybe its much better not to say anything cause if that troll says something hes actually helping that noob to bring back to thread. so basically just ignore it. Im not trying to send shots at trolls saying that thier bad I'm just saying we can ignore.

on topic.

Link with Sonic is actually a good team. I tried this teams with my doubles partner against my other friends who are experience and both did good. I guess spacing is key in doubles.
But we didnt go to final though it we actually went to platform stages. It could of been a different outcome is it was final.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
you have a point but when did Aurshade get in this? I never said aurashade at all. I know what he can do and im aware of his powers from Link boards in melee. Oh yeah and the thing your saying about people keep posting the thread and it wont die, i think thiers something called unsubcribe. but if a noob brings back a year old thread thats when a troll goes in. Or maybe its much better not to say anything cause if that troll says something hes actually helping that noob to bring back to thread. so basically just ignore it. Im not trying to send shots at trolls saying that thier bad I'm just saying we can ignore.

on topic.

Link with Sonic is actually a good team. I tried this teams with my doubles partner against my other friends who are experience and both did good. I guess spacing is key in doubles.
But we didnt go to final though it we actually went to platform stages. It could of been a different outcome is it was final.
this actually makes sense in what he's saying from my perspective. I'm not saying that swordplay is wrong, but from the start I just didn't want anyone to post in it.

Funny you should say that. I have been considering it.
But no. Not right now.
I'm collecting data and information.
then you can stop collecting data on link cause I cant think of one match-up where link has greater advantage than other characters. Plus you has much to learn to be able to main link, so stop have all these threads at smashboards and start practicing.

im going to do as swordplay and just edit this post if I want to say any more.

P.S. Lootic is smart....see post below.
I KNOW

- Lootic

Deva

Smash Lord
Link+TL=Best Brawl team.

Reasoning, Chip and I win regional tournaments with that setup. Need I say more?

Deva

Smash Lord
hey, at least it's not twin synergy. Try T!mmy and T0mmy on a team. Really freakin gey, lol. We only have bro synergy. Reason we can beat twin synergy is the character combination ^_^. That and spam wall is broken, where TL shda and Link double jump arrows behind him. But yeah, TW > character matchups.

And yeah, Link and Marth work good together. In fact, Link goes good with anyone. For some reason people just wanna team with me cuz I never die in teams o_0 ....meh.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Well Link and TL can do 75-80% dmg in 2-3 seconds on one target. It's also great because of how deceptive the setup is.
"Oh look... a theme setup. This is going to be easy!"
*wall of projectiles*
"It feels like burning!"
Not to mention while TL handles the air with ease Link can just dominate on the ground.
I would be going to Critical Hit 4 with Kilrain and running this setup, but he's worried about "his senior year at college" and "doing well" when he's an "English major"(<--- lol).
TBH Deva you should try to get your TL to practice Gale-Riding. Makes the setup so silly.

FNSHR

Smash Cadet
Maybe Marth with be a Good Partner for Link considering his speed an the combos you can chain together =]

p.s no one try an critisize me for a not justified Enough answer some people go on as if this whole posting things a friggin religion ¬_¬

Bouse

Smash Ace
Maybe Marth with be a Good Partner for Link considering his speed an the combos you can chain together =]

p.s no one try an critisize me for a not justified Enough answer some people go on as if this whole posting things a friggin religion ¬_¬
No but that "English" thing is a friggin' language! Please learn it!

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I lol at your sig Gygados.

Anyway, I've only teamed with Marths. :< I seem to be missing out on other teams. But I would like to team with a Ganon. Why? Ganon is full power with no projectiles while Link is very heavy on projectiles. The combo would do massive damage. :D

ContageMK

Smash Rookie
I'm voting Toon Link. He doesn't have as much trouble getting back on the stage (opposed to Link) and he is quite a bit faster, so he could play the decoy if the player's evasive tactics are good. While TL is acting as bait, Link can spam projectiles if he is not too close, considering his projectiles are stronger than TL's. There would be a larger arsenal of oppurtunites between their close range combat and projectiles, plus they both have extended grabs.

Top Bottom