• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon X and Y (SPOILERS THREAD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
On the contrary, I think Delphox is one of the best Fire starters there has been. Greninja is good, but Chesnaught sticks out like a sore thumb. It suffers from having little-to-no grass relevance. Had it not the couple of lime stripes on its arms and shell, there'd be no distinguishing it as a Grass Pokémon. As a trio, they hold up, and I'm glad GF managed to stick to the Final Fantasy-inspired class concept: knight, mage, and ninja. I still think they should have been Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting.

See, ultimately Pokémon designs are opinion-based. There are no poorly designed Pokémon; every species has a fan somewhere—though, I think the Golurk family is one of the least appealing. This is something I've reconciled lately. For years I have been critical of Pokémon design; hell, it's one of the main reasons I remain interested in the series. I enjoy the creature designs and love to see how they evolve over time.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

"And thus, the mighty Goomy summons is lesser minions to its sky temple. Seeking a way to return dragons to their rightful place. Once they were above the humans and now they seek to regain what was lost. All hail the mighty Goomy"

Abraham Lincoln, 2099

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Well, a lot of BP 120 moves are getting nerfed to 110. Fire Blast, Hurricane, and Thunder have all been nerfed. Jeez, Hidden Power is stuck at 60 BP now. Guess we could've seen that coming with Fairy Types coming into the mix, but 60 makes Hidden Power almost useless now.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Unless you have technician. Although I can't think of a Technician that uses SpA. Maybe they'll introduce one.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
So now that we pretty much know every new Pokemon in the game (excluding Megas), who's everyone's most favorite and least favorite addition?

Favorite: GODra
Least favorite: Tie between Aromatisse and Barbaracle (as well as its pre-evo). All 3 are just extremely weird looking Pokemon to me... especially Barbaracle.
I absolutely adore Goodra. Easily my favorite Pokemon this gen and one of the best-designed Pokemon. I also really like Clawitzer and if I didn't pick the Water Starter like it were a religion every Pokemon Game, I would be getting it. I also really appreciate Klefki.

I'm neutral on a lot of things, but the ones I don't like are things that mostly don't are the ones that don't feel complete. Avalugg feels like it needs an evo (that should be steel), Aromatiss and Slurpuff don't feel fully evolved, Gourgeist doesn't feel fully evolved, Carbink needs a gogdamn evolution. It's like they ran out of time making so many mega evos that they didn't put in the extra work for this gen and it kinda showed.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

Megados brings new meaning to the term "jumbo shrimp"

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
the best one with the highest special attack with technician would probably be Mr mime but no-one uses him. as for favorites talonflame and the two grass/ghost lines. don't really have least favorite...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
IIRC, Roserade, Persian, and Nasty Plot Ambipom are decent Technician special attackers.

Problem being most of them, especially the former, have much better things to do.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
actually, roserade's main problem is whether to go with natural cure or technician, all of her sets include HP fire so it's completely usable but the utility of natural cure might be too much to overtake

magical leaf is a base 135 move that never misses, hidden power is a base 90 coverage move of any type she wants, i think mega drain is stronger than giga drain with technician, and she also has weather ball

she has options but i think using technician has more to do with the awesomeness of natural cure

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Just like the Psychic type, Dragon in and of itself wasn't offensively ridiculous, in fact the only SE damage it did was to other Dragons. Yes, only Steel resisted it, but overall the fact that it was basically all round neutral was what made it unique and rather balanced.

That's so wrong.
If you made a type that hit everything neutral, it would be the best type in the game.
Neutral coverage is what every pokemon strives for, its what makes or breaks an offensive move pool.
Dragon pokemon achieved this with without issue every time.
Its the reason Haxorus is OU and Darmantian is UU.
You don't want things to change, and that's cool, but there's no way in HELL you can say that Dragon type pokemon were balanced as a type.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There are more hints throughout X and Y about Ruby and Sapphire

I, personally, am happy for remakes because I lost all my copies of every game from gen 3

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I really hope they go the HG/SS route and make them remakes of Emerald, rather than Ruby or Sapphire. I guess with the exception of which Legendary you catch first.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I really hope they go the HG/SS route and make them remakes of Emerald, rather than Ruby or Sapphire. I guess with the exception of which Legendary you catch first.
HG/SS didn't feel like a full remake of Crystal at times, though. It didn't have Crystal's Battle Tower and the rooftop square in Goldenrod's department store.
It had everything else, if I recall.

----

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Here's to hoping Tyranitar gets Sandstream.

Turn 1: Tyranitar activates Sandstream by coming into play
Turn 2: Tyranitar megaevolves and attacks while forcing the switch.
Turn 3: sweep the team.

Even with weather changes, that be a beast to handle.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Are you guys going to a midnight release tomorrow night or are you just getting the game Saturday?

The Gamestop I pre-ordered from is a bit of a drive away so I'm getting my copy first thing Saturday morning.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Are you guys going to a midnight release tomorrow night or are you just getting the game Saturday?
Nope. I never really understood the benefit of standing outside in the middle of the night just to get a game or console. I'd rather be nice and rested to play it for hours the next day, tyvm.

Definitely picking it up on Saturday, though.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That's so wrong.
If you made a type that hit everything neutral, it would be the best type in the game.
Neutral coverage is what every pokemon strives for, its what makes or breaks an offensive move pool.
Dragon pokemon achieved this with without issue every time.
Its the reason Haxorus is OU and Darmantian is UU.
You don't want things to change, and that's cool, but there's no way in HELL you can say that Dragon type pokemon were balanced as a type.
No, Haxorus was OU because its weaknesses were 2x rather than 4x, and it had access to Dragon Dance. That and it had access to all the moves it needs. Sure, Dragons can hit hard, but again, that's because their stats are ********. 147 Attack and Dragon Dance, that's pretty much a poor man's Rayquaza, but of course it's the Dragon typing, and not all the other things. Neutral coverage being so powerful is only even partly an issue because Gf decided to do away with stat exp and introduce EVs, I guess because GSC were stall fests or something, but now it's the other way around where you're either OHKO'd or wall, so basically it's another extreme, because GF doesn't know what the word balance is, all they do is throw 50 tons on the other side of the scale.

And no, it's not that I don't want things to change, it's that I don't want things to change for the worse.

NB. Darmanitan is UU because he's ****.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Tyrannitar is exclusive to Y and Aggron is exclusive to X

Which explains why the dex was never filled.

So, when thinking about exclusives, would you rather have a mega Tyrannitar or a Mega Aggron?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792

The Gamestop I pre-ordered from is a bit of a drive away so I'm getting my copy first thing Saturday morning.
I work 3rd shift at a retailer where basically every game that gets released receives the midnight release treatment, and my break just so happens to be at midnight. :3

If I didn't work, I would have gone to the midnight release with Rockem and a couple of friends of ours.

Mega Aggron interests me more, admittedly. Either is awesome, though.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It seems to me the pokemon this gen are too powerful

Barbaracle (Whoever you spell it) had an estimated 580 bst

Meowstick had an estimate 520

Vivillion has 120 base special and 100 base speed (Don't know the total)

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
X obv on the acount of, Aggron is the most adrobs pokemon on the planet.

Sources: Aggron is the most adorbs pokemon on the planet

/end bias

:006:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
No, Haxorus was OU because its weaknesses were 2x rather than 4x, and it had access to Dragon Dance. That and it had access to all the moves it needs. Sure, Dragons can hit hard, but again, that's because their stats are ********. 147 Attack and Dragon Dance, that's pretty much a poor man's Rayquaza, but of course it's the Dragon typing, and not all the other things
No, it really is just the dragon typing.

When no dragon, even one as poor as Druggigon, finds itself below RU and the only thing keeping other dragons out of higher tiers is being outclassed by other dragons as we saw with the Salemence ban in DPP, there's a problem.

Neutral coverage being so powerful is only even partly an issue because Gf decided to do away with stat exp and introduce EVs, I guess because GSC were stall fests or something, but now it's the other way around where you're either OHKO'd or wall, so basically it's another extreme, because GF doesn't know what the word balance is, all they do is throw 50 tons on the other side of the scale.
Absolutely nothing you said had any god damn thing to do with one another or the topic at hand.

EVs were the best thing to ever happen to this game. The game we have now is far less extreme than what you see in Yellow or Pearl. There is no better example of Hyper-offense than Gen 1 or Hyper-Stall than Gen 2. Gen 3, the generation where EVs were introduced, was the most balanced in reguards to playstyle and tempo, being so healthy as to allow Baton Pass teams, an arctype only found in this gen (with any hope to be able to do so with consistent success). Baton Pass teams require a game to support both stall and offense as it requires the team to effectively do both and pivot between them as the game progresses. From bulky offense to stall, there is no generation that provided as much freedom as Gen III did, in large part thanks to EVs.

You don't understand the issue here at all. The issue is they aren't designing for the game you are playing. Doubles is the standard in Japan and the game is balanced around this game. You can continue to play the wrong game and whine and moan that they aren't catering to you but if you had knowledge of what was behind their decision making you'd hardly make such claims.

NB. Darmanitan is UU because he's ****.

Fantastic argument. You really show off that Debate Hall rhetoric. Is there a place I can report you?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It seems to me the pokemon this gen are too powerful

Barbaracle (Whoever you spell it) had an estimated 580 bst

Meowstick had an estimate 520

Vivillion has 120 base special and 100 base speed (Don't know the total)

It's actually quite the opposite... As a whole they're fairly mediocre unlike Gen 5 which introduced tons of new threatening OU mons such as Conkeldurr, Volcarona, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Keldeo, Excadrill, Reuniclus, the genies, Terrakion, and tons more.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
It's actually quite the opposite... As a whole they're fairly mediocre unlike Gen 5 which introduced tons of new threatening OU mons such as Conkeldurr, Volcarona, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Keldeo, Excadrill, Reuniclus, the genies, Terrakion, and tons more.
Excadril is banned :p

Also Tornadus is UU, and Thundurus and Landorus are Ubers~

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mega Tyrannitar has Sand stream

Mega Aggron has Filter

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Most of which people called crap and the start of the generation. It's going to be similar here, underrated threats climbing quick.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have to ask, is Mega Aggron with filter really going to matter?

Is he going to survive and Earthquake or Superpower x3 instead of 4?

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Depends on what they do with his stats. If mega Aggron is sitting at base 230 Defense and base 110 HP, he should be able to tank those nasty EQ's all day any day~

Breaking news: Mega Aggron floats into the Metagame on an Air Balloon

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is the first time I've seen them because everyone linked from 4chan which is blocked from the computer I'm using (At school)

Mega Tyranitar definitely looks like a Kaiju

Are these the ONLY Megas in the magazine though? We already knew about them...

I was hoping we'd get something we didn't know about

mood4food77

Smash Hero
not feeling ttar's mega evo...it just looks weird

love aggron's though, that thing is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom