• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon X and Y (SPOILERS THREAD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It looks like he degressed partially to pupitar

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No, it really is just the dragon typing.

When no dragon, even one as poor as Druggigon, finds itself below RU and the only thing keeping other dragons out of higher tiers is being outclassed by other dragons as we saw with the Salemence ban in DPP, there's a problem.
They never find themselves below RU because of good movepools and stats. Pokémon like Druddigon and Altaria may not be powerful, but their stats aren't exactly terrible either. Dragon is a fantastic typing, but it has its drawbacks that mitigate that. You're taking it all out of context again but citing just Pokémon and tier placement, without taking into account how much GF restricts movepools and base stats. A large part of why Dragons are so powerful is GF decides to make Dragon a rare and lucrative type within the game, they come later, and their stats and movepools are buffed to reflect this. A large part of why Dragons seem out of balance is because they are given so many blessings that others aren't in terms of moves and stats. Moves and stats play a larger role in usability than typing, I mean look at Volcarona, with such a typing nobody in their right mind would consider it being OU viable until you get the beakdown of its stats and moves.

But yeah of course, it's definitely the type.

Absolutely nothing you said had any god damn thing to do with one another or the topic at hand.
Yes it does.

EVs were the best thing to ever happen to this game
Physical/Special split was the best thing to ever happen to this game, EVs force you to walk a tightrop, and up until the upcoming gen, they were so poorly implemented it's unreal. They were hidden specific values that needed absolute precision control on the part of the trainer, thus causing an incredibly bizarre type of grind that did absolutely nothing to improve the overall experience over just letting you assign the EVs. Looks like they're fixing that at least. Still, EVs are far too limited to really allow players to take advantage of say, more evenly distributed stats, thus driving the metagame to extremes, Hyper speed, hyper offence, hyper this hyper that, there's always going to be a lean towards a certain tactic, but the fact that you're so pigeonholed is frustrating.

The game we have now is far less extreme than what you see in Yellow or Pearl. There is no better example of Hyper-offense than Gen 1
Pretty sure a gen where Rest is a viable move is not hyper offensive.

or Hyper-Stall than Gen 2
True story

. Gen 3, the generation where EVs were introduced, was the most balanced in reguards to playstyle and tempo, being so healthy as to allow Baton Pass teams, an arctype only found in this gen (with any hope to be able to do so with consistent success). Baton Pass teams require a game to support both stall and offense as it requires the team to effectively do both and pivot between them as the game progresses. From bulky offense to stall, there is no generation that provided as much freedom as Gen III did, in large part thanks to EVs.
Baton Pass teams were more of a thing in RSE because there were more pokémon with the move and more stat boosts to pass.

You don't understand the issue here at all. The issue is they aren't designing for the game you are playing. Doubles is the standard in Japan and the game is balanced around this game. You can continue to play the wrong game and whine and moan that they aren't catering to you but if you had knowledge of what was behind their decision making you'd hardly make such claims.
Oh I'm sorry I don't keep up to date with the metagame of glorious Nippon (banzai), and that I also expect them to only cater to one facet of their own ****ing game. Yes it's called whining and moaning when I expect them to make sure ALL aspects of the design are sound. What a ******** argument that is, were you born in Snap City? "Oh they're not trying to design the game properly so you shouldn't complain!"

That's piss poor.

Fantastic argument. You really show off that Debate Hall rhetoric. Is there a place I can report you?
"Debate Hall rhetoric"

You can report me to whomever you want, and they aren't gonna do ****.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Are these the ONLY Megas in the magazine though? We already knew about them...

I was hoping we'd get something we didn't know about
Check the link in the post, it also shows artwork for Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar. We knew about those for a while now too, though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Check the link in the post, it also shows artwork for Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar. We knew about those for a while now too, though.
The artwork for Mega Gengar looks like they didn't put any effort into it

Edit: Mega Aggron is apparently pure steel

He looses his rock typing so he'd only take 1.5 from all his weaknesses

Spire

III
BRoomer
You guys see the official Chesnaught, Delphox, and Greninja pics?

Damn that Greninja artwork makes him look so badass. I'll have to get a Froakie down the road, because Delphox is just too good to pass up as a starter. Chesnaught is aight, but the other two are my people. I mean, my only attempt at designing starter final evos had a Fire/Psychic canine Pokémon: http://spire-iii.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-Rust-Starter-Final-Evolutions-319828724

It's like Delphox was made for me—or rather, I unknowingly predicted it and/or tapped into the collective unconscious and sensed its existence and/or it's just a coincidence. I dig Delphox more than Jakylpyre, bu that just may be my nickname for Fennekin—for obviousity's sake.

Greninja reminds me of Jumping Flash! which is all sorts of awesome.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I don't know if it's true, but a friend who follows the leakers pretty closely mentioned that you get the Gen VI starter that is weak to your starter some time post-E4.

Just figured I'd mention it for people who might like a certain two starters and not the other, since I know it's the case for me.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Looks like Greninja will be my guy, will work well alongside Charizard.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't know if it's true, but a friend who follows the leakers pretty closely mentioned that you get the Gen VI starter that is weak to your starter some time post-E4.

Just figured I'd mention it for people who might like a certain two starters and not the other, since I know it's the case for me.
If this is true, then I'm definitely starting with Froakie so I can get my Fennekin on post-game. We gotta find this **** out NOW.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
i heard that it was the one that is stronger against your starter. if you choose fenniken you'd get froakie from the rival who trades it to you...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Chesnaught still looking bad ass nothing new there. The more I'm exposed to Delphox the more I'm starting to like it... Almost as much as Chesnaught. Greninja's official artwork looks much better than his in game screenshots we've seen.

I hope we get the starter that's strong against your type so I can get my Chesnaught/Delphox combo.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Does anyone know if the Stoutland line is in X and Y before post game? I'd really like to use it as my Normal type again. It was a pretty good jack of all trades in Black and White.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792

mood4food77

Smash Hero
usually after you beat the elite 4, it takes you to the credits, then runs through the opening sequence again like you just turned your game on

so this is what i think he means

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
It's located at the end of his giant list of notes from when he played through the main game, so I'm betting he means after the game restarts from beating the Elite Four.

I was confused by the wording at first too. <.<

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I have to ask, is Mega Aggron with filter really going to matter?

Is he going to survive and Earthquake or Superpower x3 instead of 4?
More like x1.75 instead of x2 and if they actually buff his defensive stats instead of his offensive ones, **** yes.

not gonna matter though because he doesn't have lefties or a recovery move

gamefreak why

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he makes a good counterpart to blissey, tanking most physical hits, and her wish passes are definitely beneficial

when there's a will, there's a way

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Welp guess that means I'm getting Froakie...

Who's gonna trade me a Fennekin? We should all exchange 3DS friend codes.
1891-2120-4792

If my Fennekin somehow manages to make it all the way through this Nuzlocke with me, I would be more than happy to trade one of its babies with you.

...and even if it doesn't, I have a group of friends who I'll be trading with a lot and I know one of them will have a Fennekin.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
he makes a good counterpart to blissey, tanking most physical hits, and her wish passes are definitely beneficial

when there's a will, there's a way
yeh but wish wasn't useful last gen and i doubt it will be this gen, even with the wish changes. just too hard to pull off

i'll post my 3ds code when i get a 3ds

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
...I think it's also worth mentioning the Friend Safari, now that TRG brought up Friend Codes and stuff. It might be worth it for all of us to exchange codes just for that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Welp guess that means I'm getting Froakie...

Who's gonna trade me a Fennekin? We should all exchange 3DS friend codes.

I guess I could. Depends if I get get a Ditto on my hands early enough.

Edit: my code is 0232-7749-6030. So you can add me if you want.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Oh right, I forgot about that. That thing's gonna be hyper-necessary to find important things so we may as well try to take advantage of that as much as we can.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
1891-2120-4792

If my Fennekin somehow manages to make it all the way through this Nuzlocke with me, I would be more than happy to trade one of its babies with you.

...and even if it doesn't, I have a group of friends who I'll be trading with a lot and I know one of them will have a Fennekin.

Mine's 3437-3797-6559

I'd actually advise anyone who's getting X/Y soon to drop their 3DS code here cause apparently friends can give each other power ups or something like that.

EDIT: yeah what Riddle said. kewlusername I'm adding you right now so add mine as well.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Do we just need a 3ds code and not the game code?? I don't know how to find either.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Not sure about the game code but your 3DS code can be found by clicking on the smiley face at the top of the screen on the home page. Just click on your avatar afterwards and the code is right there.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
yeh but wish wasn't useful last gen and i doubt it will be this gen, even with the wish changes. just too hard to pull off

i'll post my 3ds code when i get a 3ds

apparently all the staple moves (ice beam/blizzard and the like) all got weakened (ice beam and it's cousins are 90 bp while blizzard and its cousins are 110) and with everything pointing to being more defensive, wish seems more viable this gen

blissey might rise to the top once again....although i hate that blob

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
eh, i still don't think it's quite to the point like gen 2 was but i see what you're saying

i'm certainly feeling more excited for this gen. i ****in' love stall and last gen was a nightmare for stall players. if i get a few good physically defensive fairies, i'mma have a blast this metagame.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i like that they're trying to get away from the super offense that we had last gen

i feel as though they nerfed the weather starters a bit too much, i think 7 turns would have been good, 5 doesn't seem like enough to even take advantage of

this really sucks for hail as there are items that make weather 10 turns but the only hail starter is abomasnow so he either has to decide whether to go for extended hail or his awesome mega form (i don't think anyone would use mega ttar unless he has ridiculous stats, the others so far have only 1 choice)

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Honestly, if they wanted to nerf offense from last gen, they had to either remove the offensive (and probably defensive) bonuses from weathers or hit the duration. I was hoping they'd do the former, as permaweathers brought new faces into OU we otherwise wouldn't have (anything on sun, toxicroak, hell you could count gastrodon) and I liked playing with abilities like Rain Dish, but they did the latter which isn't bad. It certainly makes weather a hell of a lot harder to sustain and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I find it really odd that Game Freak would go for defense over offense when the "official" play format is doubles, which is known for extremely quick battles between sweepers.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
whatever, singles next gen looks to be a blast and i'm excited for it.

'sides, doubles with mega mons is gonna be ridiculous anyway. mega medicham got released. pure power with a 100 base attack to follow it. 100 base speed's a drawback for something so fragile but damn.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
megamedicham has 60/85/85 bulk....while zoroark has 60/60/60 bulk

you were saying

regular gengar has 60/60/75 bulk

starmie has 60/85/85 bulk, so him and starmie number wise have the same bulk

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
in normal form.
60/85/85 helps but his hp wasn't buffed and he's still knocking half that off when he inevitably predicts wrong and hjks a ghost.

this thing's actually reason for me to run gliscor this gen. gogdamn.

edit: also every time i think i can count fighting-types out for real relevancy, something comes along to prove me wrong.

as long as the ice punch distribution drops like a rock, i'm p. cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom