• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
I think that the Pokemon will "throw" the smash ball to Red.
Then his eyes will glow and he'll find a forgotten Master Ball in his bag.
(insert name of legendary pokemon here) will come out and proceed to OWN everyone in some way or another.
I think having the Final Smash be a legendary really makes Red more the main character of the team. I mean, the update will probably say: Pokemon Trainer-Final Smash, not Squirtle-Final Smash, etc.

Chepe

Smash Lord
But just what would he use? Arceus? Mewtwo is more than likely staying playable... I support the Hydro Cannon/Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn theory depending on whoever is out at the time (not a combined attack either). But we will just have to wait and see...

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
But just what would he use? Arceus? Mewtwo is more than likely staying playable... I support the Hydro Cannon/Frenzy Plant/Blast Burn theory depending on whoever is out at the time (not a combined attack either). But we will just have to wait and see...
I like this idea myself. I could certainly see Red using some kind of legendary as well, but I don't think it's as likely. I also doubt Mewtwo will stray too far from Brawl's roster, and Mew still seems like a pokeball pokemon to me. Plus, if you want to be technical about it, you can't catch Mew in the game without using a cheat or getting some big wigs at Nintendo to put him in your party (or whatever it is they do). In that respect, Mew doesn't really seem like a pokemon that Red could have, to me. Just my view on it. So I don't know what legendary pokemon he would use.

Torvus64

Smash Rookie
I like the fact that Pokemon trainer is playable but there a few things about him that don't sit well with me. Mostly about his use of ivysur

1)Say for example your using ivysaur and you get knocked off the stage I can't really see ivysaur performing a mid-air jump.

2)this has mentioned a couple times what will happen to the trainer on stages like rumble falls and castle siege will he be able to move?

3)I also can't see ivysaur using items like the cracker launcher can't see him picking it up or using his mouth to operate it.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
1)Say for example your using ivysaur and you get knocked off the stage I can't really see ivysaur performing a mid-air jump.
he would mid-air jump like pikachu :p

2)this has mentioned a couple times what will happen to the trainer on stages like rumble falls and castle siege will he be able to move?
many people say he'll stand on a platform or a random bird pokemon. others say he'll jump/move along with the stage. who knows:p

3)I also can't see ivysaur using items like the cracker launcher can't see him picking it up or using his mouth to operate it.
vine whip :p

oh and charizard + cracker launcher= insta-win.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Believe it or not, this was one of the first things I thought of when I saw Ivysaur, but I quickly banished the thought. I wouldn't really be able to see anyone doing a mid-air jump, considering it's not actually possible in real life, but they do it in Smash. Ivysaur's got nothing to worry about here.

We've seen the PT on Rumble Falls, just standing in the background like all the other stages. My guess is he'll probably hope up on the other platforms with the movement of the stage.

That's what he has vine whip for, methinks. He tends to use those like hands sometimes in the show (I remember Bulbasaur grabbing lots of **** with those).

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
yea i was gonna mention how pikachu ***** the super scope but somebody beat me to it.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
If Ivysaur hold things with his vines, I wonder if he'll have further reach then all the other characters with things like homerun bat and beam sword.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If Ivysaur hold things with his vines, I wonder if he'll have further reach then all the other characters with things like homerun bat and beam sword.
I'd say he'd at least have a similar reach to the others, he can't be overpowered.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Yeah, but the only thing that the trainer does that you have any control over is throw out and call back Pokemon.
Actually, it seems as if he "tells" them to do this that and the other well you control them. In other words, think of it as the game. Im Dawn's character in the game. . .she tells them to do w/e attack I choose. Thats his role, to stand back and "act" as the trainer but you are the one in control.

(With out him it wouldn make no sense to have a Squ/Cha/Ivy character now would it?)

again ur kidding right...
use common fawkin sense...
your tryin to imply that red fights...
Goodness, use some god **** common sense please.

Red does what he does IN THE GAME and thats what I am talking about.
He stands back and tells them what to do. . .YOU control the pokemon thats DIRECTLY fighting. (From the looks of it he even has lil gustures he does when YOU make the pokemon do some attack.)

When did I say Red fights?

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I'd say he'd at least have a similar reach to the others, he can't be overpowered.
when it comes to items balance is kindof irrelevent any way and who says that would imbalance him anyway, faster chars alreay have a huge advantange when it comes to items(they get to all of them first) and ivysaur doesn't exactally seem fast.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Just a few things I'd like to throw out there. A lot of people are talking about how ivysaur might be awkward because he walks on 4 legs but I would like to point out that in red/blue the sprite for ivysaur is on it's hind legs. Also the pokedex data implies that ivysaur can stand on it's hind legs unless it absorbs a lot of sunlight (this is an assumption taken from the red/blue data and the yellow data). So maybe it will move around like pikachu, on it's hind legs while standing or walking then on all fours while dashing. So it's possible that it's A attacks would consist of maybe claw swipes (ftilit and dtilit?) and headbutts like pikachus jab (possibley ivysaurs jab amd Utilt). Just thought I'd throw that out there for some people to chew on.

Also it's possible that the PT could have costume changes that change his appearance to that of the pokemon trainers from the other games too. Which might be why he is just refered to as PT and not a specific name like Red. And the final smash could possibley him using all 3 of his pokemon for some crazy combo attack or barrage of attacks.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
the final smash will probably be a blast, all the same but different color and different name depending on the pokemon.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Just a few things I'd like to throw out there. A lot of people are talking about how ivysaur might be awkward because he walks on 4 legs but I would like to point out that in red/blue the sprite for ivysaur is on it's hind legs. Also the pokedex data implies that ivysaur can stand on it's hind legs unless it absorbs a lot of sunlight (this is an assumption taken from the red/blue data and the yellow data). So maybe it will move around like pikachu, on it's hind legs while standing or walking then on all fours while dashing. So it's possible that it's A attacks would consist of maybe claw swipes (ftilit and dtilit?) and headbutts like pikachus jab (possibley ivysaurs jab amd Utilt). Just thought I'd throw that out there for some people to chew on.
Do not want!
The one reason I'm looking forward to Ivysaur is that he's quadruped!
Conventions are there to be broken!
4 legs > 2 legs!
Insert catchphrase here!

So, yeah. Ivysaur will be original as hell. I want it to remain on four legs. Period. :p

As for your other point, I think I was actually the first one to bring that up. I'm glad people agree. \o/

And Sakurai should really update with the Final Smash. Everybody's wondering what will happen there.
Too bad that it's unlikely to happen because he already got two updates at the same time... hmmm.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
My personal bet goes for the Final Smash being a legendary, probably Ho-oh or Mewtwo.(If he doesn't return, he should at least get that, besides he was uber-powerful in the games but in Melee he was -I think- Bottom-tier.)

EDIT: I'm hoping Ivysaur will be fully quadraped, as that increases the chances for Wolf Link.

That image shows him on four legs and standing still, so I'm thinking that's how he'll be.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Do not want!
The one reason I'm looking forward to Ivysaur is that he's quadruped!
Conventions are there to be broken!
4 legs > 2 legs!
Insert catchphrase here!
4 legs > 2 legs! ROFL!

my friend says this...except about eyes.....he wears glasses see.... whatever.

but yea, quadrupeds FTW!

i think we all know squirtle will be the one EVERYONE uses as much as they can though....

Black/Light

Smash Master
Noway thats happening. . .thats from the very first game and in every game other than that it's on all 4s. Plus, look at Pika standing still and look at Ivy standing still in brawl. Pika=stands on 2 legs and Ivy=stands on 4.

Plus, it would just look gocky if it stands on 2 legs with that huge bulb on it's back.

Moving one. . .
I think that Ivy= the fast, long ranged one. I don't think it "looks" fast but it is on all 4s and has to be different to the others in some way. Char is too powerful and huge to be the fastest of the 3 and Squirtle "could" be the fast one but I see it being more of the Mario (balanced one) of the 3.Plus, this is smash. . . .game stats most likely aint going to affect the logical speed of a character. 4 legs= more than 2 so thats more speed.

Squirtle= Balanced one. Not too fast, not too strong. . . like Kirby meets Mario. Has atleast on ranged water attack.

Char= Power house but good in air one. Should have atleast one ranged attack.

For the F-Smash I think that they all have a different one. Really, the pokemon are the ones fighting, the pokemon are the ones getting items, the pokemon are the ones using the items. . .not the trainer.

If Char got a Smash Ball than it wouldn't make sense to me for them all to come out and do a F-Smash together (the other 2 never touched it) nor would I think that the trainer would call him back to release a new legendary pokemon.

Pichu_815

Smash Apprentice
As to the concept of costume changes...

I am thoroughly convinced that the other generations' trainers will not be appearing. Why? Well, here's why:

As we all know, the purpose of a costume change is, first and foremost, so that players can tell themselves apart when one or more player is using the same character, and secondly to accomodate for the different team colors, which are red, blue, and green (not putting down the fact that one or two MAY be added). But those of you who have played the Pokemon games or seen the trainers know that every single male trainer, except for Brandon (third gen, dressed in black), is dressed in a red jacket/shirt, jeans, has dark hair, and a red hat. So, if we wanted to add in all of the trainers, we'd need...
13 models total. But here's an even bigger reason why multiple trainers will not appear:

Naturally, it wouldn't make sense for all of the trainers to use Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. No, they would have to use the correct starters for their region.
So, that means we'd have:
Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard
Totodile, Bayleef, Typhlosion
Mudkip, Grovyle, Blaziken
Piplup, Grotle, Infernape.
Each in three different colors.

Not only would we need so many models in so many different colors, we would also need seperate movesets for certain Pokemon. For example, each of the water starters could use water gun or hydro pump, but have very few attacks in common otherwise. For Ivysaur, Bayleef, and Grotle, an easy moveset would include tackle, razor leaf, and solarbeam, for example. But Grovyle shares none of those attacks. The same holds true for the fire starters, unless Sakurai wanted to have some horribly generic moveset, like Focus Punch, Flamethrower, and Earthquake. But I think many of us are expecting Charizard to Fly somehow, either as his up B attack, or naturally, and the other starters obviously can't do that.

So, no, the other trainers and starters will not be appearing in Smash Bros. as playable characters. As you can see, it's entirely too much work for the Sora Team, which has a lot more to worry about than Pokemon Trainers.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
OK, this may sound stupid but:

Red has all three pokemon out, but he's still holding out a pokeball. It's probably just there for dramatic purposes, but it could be that it holds a legendary... and the only legendary found in a poke ball(seriously, it would usually be an ultra or Master Ball) is Ho-oh in Pokemon Colosseum. Just something to think about.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
It will be interesting to see what will happen for color change when teams are on (green charizard? blue ivysaur? red squirtle?).

also, in terms of final smash, i think it would be nifty if another pokemon came out. something that a typical pokemon trainer would have up his sleeve but would want to save as a wildcard...like a snorlax. you could use him until you switched out.

probably not the best idea, but whatever :p

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping Red Team= Red Trainer Hats on Pokemon
Blue Team= Blue Party hats/Goggles
Green Team= Green Bandanas on Pokemon

That's the way it is for all pokemon characters. it's an accessory of a certain color (M2 being the exception with his color change) that denotes their team, then their original color(another small exception is Jigglypuff's Princess costume)

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
About Red's/PT's final smash... if it is the idea that each Poke' gets their own, and you can only use a final smash once... does that mean, oh say for example, I'm playing as Ivysaur and I grab a Smash Orb and use Solarbeam. Then I switch out for Charizard and later on see another Orb but I can't grab it even tough Charizard hasn't used his Final yet?..

tirkaro

Smash Champion
About Red's/PT's final smash... if it is the idea that each Poke' gets their own, and you can only use a final smash once... does that mean, oh say for example, I'm playing as Ivysaur and I grab a Smash Orb and use Solarbeam. Then I switch out for Charizard and later on see another Orb but I can't grab it even tough Charizard hasn't used his Final yet?..
I'm tired of this misunderstanding. by "The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball" he means you can only perform it once you grab a smash ball. meaning you cant perform 2 final smashes for 1 ball. not "you can only use it once per match."

its not like you can only use a hammer once and only once during a match, right?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Humm.
I think that the color change will be different for each one.

Like Black makes squirtle become a darker tone and he pulls out some sun glasses/ Char becomes it's shiny self a ivy's plant changes to a darker color.

For green squirtle could be it's shiny self/ Char could have some goggles that are green and Ivy becomes bright green.

For red the whole team could wear red bannanas like in Pokemon MD.

Something like that. . .

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
im still wondering about the final smash

This is going to sound stupid:
Red is holding out a pokeball while all three of his pokemon are out. It's probably just there for dramatic purposes, but it could be holding a legendary (though how he managed to catch a legendary with a simple Poke Ball I'll never know)

Yay! This post makes me a SMASH CHILD!!!!!

EDIT:
Humm.
I think that the color change will be different for each one.

Like Black makes squirtle become a darker tone and he pulls out some sun glasses/ Char becomes it's shiny self a ivy's plant changes to a darker color.

For green squirtle could be it's shiny self/ Char could have some goggles that are green and Ivy becomes bright green.

For red the whole team could wear red bannanas like in Pokemon MD.

Something like that. . .
What about Blue? probably some Party Hats or something.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm tired of this misunderstanding. by "The Final Smash is a secret skill that can be performed but once…and only after obtaining an item called the Smash Ball" he means you can only perform it once you grab a smash ball. meaning you cant perform 2 final smashes for 1 ball. not "you can only use it once per match."
You might be the one misunderstanding. *shrugs*
I interpret it as meaning that it's one time per character.

But that's unimportant.

Someone said again that trainers from other generations would HAVE to use their respective starters, which is bull.
They are the first starters. Thus, they are automatically the most recognizable, the most notorious, the most iconic. Just like Marth, the first FE Lord ever.
These guys were picked because they are the starters of starters. They can rep the whole series, while any other team of starters would automatically only rep its respective generation.

Oh, and Ho-oh sounds rather plausible. Maybe as a friendly nudge towards the first episode of the anime or so.
And it's definitely a pretty important one.

Vali

Smash Ace
I interpret it as one time per Brawl purchase per character. Nintendo would make billions.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
So... I got an interesting idea, this "Pokemon Trainer" IS in fact Red from the R/B/FR/LG versions and the Manga.

Seeing as the strongest Pokemon you could get in the original versions was Mewtwo, and Mewtwo is a close friend of Red in the Manga; I think its reasonable to say that Red's Final Smash could possibly be calling Mewtwo for help (he has done it before in the Manga, when Red faced Deoxys) and have him be as a 4rth Team Member.

Mewtwo of course would be extremely powerfull, fast and deadly (I mean, c'mon hes would be in the same leage as Giga Bowser, a roman Goddess and her army, etc)

So... do you think Red's FS could be Mewtwo?

Top Bottom