• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
The pokemon are probably invulnerable for a brief moment upon switching in.

Notice the bubble to the upper right of Kirby. that's either a clang, or (more likely) Ivysaur going back into his pokeball- either way, you're probably right- LOL at Kirby and Pika running away.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
pokemon are essential to the red trainers fighting...without using pokemon hes not a pokemon trainer
That discussion's officially over, just so you know.

EDIT: Arrgh double post! and sorry if I sounded rude Onslaught, but it's just that discussion annoyed the heck out of me when we could've been discussing actual gameplay-related material.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
I hope so. It would be way too easy to KO someone if it's not, seeing as you have to switch between the three and It's inevitable. But, is it just me, or are ther A LOT of winged characters popping up?
Sakurai has expressed an interest in flying characters.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Not to beat the dead horse anymore than it needs to be, but I disagree with the Batman/Robin-Pt/Pikachu analogy. Batman fights along side Robin, which I have no problem with. Plus, Robin learned how to fight properly by watching Batman. The pokemon already have the fighting capability, they just hone their skills by being in pokemon battles, which the trainer presents to them.

ANYWAY. I think that the lag (if there was actually a substantial amount) could also work in favor of the PT. If you see Captain Falcon getting ready to Falcon Punch you, you could switch to a different pokemon, and if the lag was great enough, Falcon would miss.

Regardless, it does look like the lag is pretty minimal.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I have seen only on moveset Idea for PT's Pokemon and they really didn't ipress me incredibly. If I could see a good one (Or make a good one myself) That would be better than beating this dead horse.
I hope you didn't mean my moveset. =o

I was going to repost and expand a lot upon it since I only posted the gist of it, pretty much. But I don't want to do that yet because, in my opinion, this thread still has too much momentum from the initial shock and people are still discussing general stuff about the character. When that has died down, we can sit down over a cup of tea and talk about the finer points of the character.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
Like I said, let's drop it. It's a Ying Yang situation. Neither can be 'The Very Best, Like No One Ever Was' with out the other, because 'Arm and Arm They'll Win the Fight' and Red will say: 'You Teach Me And I'll Teach You PO-KAY-MON!' and that 'Ooooh, You're My Best Friend In A World We Must Defend'
LOL you know that song way too well...

ACTIVATE SUBJECT-CHANGE SKILLS!
So another thing about switching is that there'll be a huge moveset...(Go Fawriel! Now, while they're distracted!)

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Not to beat the dead horse anymore than it needs to be, but I disagree with the Batman/Robin-Pt/Pikachu analogy. Batman fights along side Robin, which I have no problem with. Plus, Robin learned how to fight properly by watching Batman. The pokemon already have the fighting capability, they just hone their skills by being in pokemon battles, which the trainer presents to them.

ANYWAY. I think that the lag (if there was actually a substantial amount) could also work in favor of the PT. If you see Captain Falcon getting ready to Falcon Punch you, you could switch to a different pokemon, and if the lag was great enough, Falcon would miss.

The amount of lag is irrelevant. A skilled player would make good use of it still.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The amount of lag is irrelevant. A skilled player would make good use of it still.
Yes, that was basically my point. I saw someone mention how lag could be problematic for the trainer, and I mentioned how it could work to his advantage.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
Well we want to know whether you'll need to be a skilled player to make use of it- I'm not, I don't even know how to wavedash! (all in room gasp) What? it's true!

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Well we want to know whether you'll need to be a skilled player to make use of it- I'm not, I don't even know how to wavedash! (all in room gasp) What? it's true!
Wavedashing is easy. Wavedashing in sucession is hard. It just takes practice.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. Anyway, Fawriel, could you at least post a link to your moveset? All this talk has made me way too curious.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
In the games, my trained Pokemon always seem to beet the tar out of hordes of wild Pokemon. That has to say something, doesn't it?
Think of it like this: Is a man trained as a soldier in the army a more capable fighter than some guy who buys some military gear and does an equal amount of push-ups on his own?
If so, then wouldn't a Pokemon trained in battle also be a more capable fighter than a Pokemon who just got into occasional fights in the wild?

I want to know when it's possible to switch Pokemon. Is this something that can be done in the air?

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
In the games, my trained Pokemon always seem to beet the tar out of hordes of wild Pokemon. That has to say something, doesn't it?
Think of it like this: Is a man trained as a soldier in the army a more capable fighter than some guy who buys some military gear and does an equal amount of push-ups on his own?
If so, then wouldn't a Pokemon trained in battle also be a more capable fighter than a Pokemon who just got into occasional fights in the wild?

Well said.

I want to know when it's possible to switch Pokemon. Is this something that can be done in the air?
I'm pretty sure it is. A beam just shoots from the pokeball.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
No, I don't think so. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I wasn't talking about what works to make it a good game. I meant in reference to what a trainer would actually do for the pokemon were it "real".

This logic would work if the trainer had a way of actually teaching Pikachu how to use Thundershock or something. Yes, they buy TMs, but it's not like the Trainer is teaching the pokemon martial arts or anything. The trainer can't show Charizard how to use Flamethrower the same way a general can teach a soldier how to properly fire a gun.

I'm guessing you can, but your new pokemon will probably replace the old one in the exact same place. At least, that's what makes the most sense to me. I guess we'll find out.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I get this feeling that PT gonna be top tier. Someone's gonna discover an incredible technique with him and he will own. Do you think they'll put the different Pokemon on the tier list or just PT?
They could put all three starter pokemon on the list, but I don't think it would matter since you basically have to master all three anyway. The stamina thing is one of the subtle things that makes this different than the Zelda/Sheik set-up.

They may list the different starters on the tier, but it doesn't matter what tier any of them are since you basically have to master all three, or at the very least two. If Squirtle and Ivysaur both end up being low-tier, but Charizard is god-tier, you're going to have to put up with either Ivysaur or Squirtle if you want the advantages Charizard may offer (just an example).

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
I can just see it now... You're flying through the air as Charizard, Cap. Is just about t reach you with his Up B. You hit Down B and instead of grabbing you, he snatches midair! But that's not all! As Squirtle you use the Footstool jump and Meteor Smash him to the depths below! So many possibilities!

In other news... Will Squirtle's attacks be more powerful on Charizard (When in VS.) and the same for Venasaur on Squirtle and Charizard on Venasaur? Just thinking of more ways to make things more strategic

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I get this feeling that PT gonna be top tier. Someone's gonna discover an incredible technique with him and he will own. Do you think they'll put the different Pokemon on the tier list or just PT?
I think PT could make it three times with a different Poke to his name, like Top Tier: Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle), Mid-tier: Pokemon Trainer (Ivysaur).

Not that it matters anyway because the tier list is a load of garbage anyway.

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
Its gonna be hard to 4stock people with Pokemon Trainer because of the pokemons getting tired and they may faint, unless one does it quickly

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I can just see it now... You're flying through the air as Charizard, Cap. Is just about t reach you with his Up B. You hit Down B and instead of grabbing you, he snatches midair! But that's not all! As Squirtle you use the Footstool jump and Meteor Smash him to the depths below! So many possibilities!

In other news... Will Squirtle's attacks be more powerful on Charizard (When in VS.) and the same for Venasaur on Squirtle and Charizard on Venasaur? Just thinking of more ways to make things more strategic
It's Ivysaur, not Venasaur.

I don't see the types mattering, but that certainly would be interesting. The main problem that I see with the type advantages is that Pikachu would do a lot more damage to Squirtle, but Ivysaur and Charizard wouldn't be able to do any extra damage to Pikachu. Plus, it wouldn't make much sense if Charizard did more damage to Ivysaur, but Bowser's fire breath did the same damage it normally would (and I'd imagine it would have to).

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Pokemon Trainer will probably take one space on the tier list, since the stamina thing forces players to use all of them and not just the one that they like best. I bet you could probably get away with just using two though, so if one sucks...

I think that the original idea with Zelda/Sheik in Melee was to create a transforming character that made people have to master switching back and forth at the right times in order to win. That didn't work out though, because everyone figured out that Sheik was better and just used her. That's why they added this stamina thing for PT. I wonder if Sheik will get stamina if she returns.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
Its gonna be hard to 4stock people with Pokemon Trainer because of the pokemons getting tired and they may faint, unless one does it quickly
They may balance things out by giving them lives, & im sure they can be ko'ed normally.

XDead Sexy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the stamina will probably reset when the poke is ko'ed if not it would pretty much ruin the character or characters.....whatever......

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
So how does the Subspace Emmirsary work with this guy......... Mastering him seems very challenging, I can't believe he made it though, he seemed nothing more than an AT or trophy......but a character?? Thats playable??

Pyr0

Smash Ace
I like the idea of swich out the pokemon while the oponent is about to attack you.

some pretty interesting tactics could be deviced with the swiches.

Conner

Smash Journeyman
Ha ha! F*** you guys who don't want red in! he is! Smash bros Dojo , check it! he doesn't fight directly
though , he uses Squirtle , Ivysaur (which I think should be Bubasaur) , and Charizard! Sorry Squirtle fans.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Ha ha! F*** you guys who don't want red in! he is! Smash bros Dojo , check it! he doesn't fight directly
though , he uses Squirtle , Ivysaur (which I think should be Bubasaur) , and Charizard! Sorry Squirtle fans.
You're over a day late. XD

PT haters have all ate their words by now.

Top Bottom