• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Another weekday for me, another Brawl update ready for me. As usual, I get out of bad, slap myself in the face to wake up, walk towards my pc and turn it on. After splashing my face with some water, the PC is up and running, so I open Internet Explorer, open the favorite list and click 'Smash Bros. DOJO!' Like I'm used to do now, I minimalise my screen so I can slowly scroll downwards, to make it a little bit more exciting to find out what the new update is.
As soon as I see a familiar jpg. saying 'Warning, New Challenger Approaching' my heart is starting to beat faster. Who will it be? King DeDeDe? Lucario? Slowly I scroll down and I see a name appearing: Pokémon Trainer.

My first thought is WTF! Pokémon Trainer? So.... that ridiculous topic was right? I maximze the screen and I read through the update. Wow, controlling 3 Poké's as one character... That would be awesome!
And suddenly, I realise that all those 'Omg! This character should be in Brawl!' really are stupid, untill they appear to have been right all the time: That the proposed character really would be a good Brawl character.
I see kuddos to this topic maker for being as smart as Sakurai himself.

And just a P.S., why the hell did they name him Pokémon Trainer? Why name someone after his job? Like you would call Link 'Magic Swordfighter' or Kirby 'Sucker'. I prefer Red (and I can imagine that everybody who's going to main him will call themself Red too).
But I doubt they'd do that unless they were going to include all 4 sets of starters (I would be completely in love with this game if they did that.) And I find that highly unlikely.
Also, Charizard is partly Flying, so I think they'll have him use some Flying moves too. And do you see Infernape using Fly?:lick:

Wreked

Smash Lord
If the Pokemon were to change with the costume, I'm almost positive that the evolution choices would stay the same for the types. Meaning that it would probably be Piplup, Grotle, and Infernape. Which is better because Chimchar is totally lame, while Infernape is awesome, and Empoleon is pretty lame, and Piplup isn't.

But I doubt they'd do that unless they were going to include all 4 sets of starters (I would be completely in love with this game if they did that.) And I find that highly unlikely.
Yeah you're probaly right Bendu. I was just hoping for the best. The female PT should definitely be a costume change. An unlockable one. Like you beat classic on hard with all pokemon. PT, Pikachu, Jiggs, Mewtwo, Lucario. As for the pokemon is was just trying to liven it up for some people. Some might not like charizard as the slow heavy one, so that's chimchar. Same goes with all the other pokemon.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Also, Charizard is partly Flying, so I think they'll have him use some Flying moves too. And do you see Infernape using Fly?:lick:
They could just use a clone move that works the exact same (in SSB, not in the Pokemon games), I guess. Seismic Toss or something like that.

Again, it's a pretty unlikely idea. It means even more models and stuff for a character slot that already has 4 character models. I hate to say "It's not going to happen." Like all the people who said Red wasn't going to happen. But still...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Again, I'm positive that he was named Pokemon Trainer because you will be able to choose from a variety of different ones. At least both the boy and the girl. It would be easy to implement since the trainer doesn't really do much besides run around and wave his hands.
It also perfectly serves the purpose of the silent protagonist that it did in the game: It lets the player identify with the character.

Wreked

Smash Lord
I minimalise my screen so I can slowly scroll downwards, to make it a little bit more exciting to find out what the new update is.
I do something like that too. I hold up a piece of paper so it covers the update. I click on the menu side bar to the one to which I think it is. It's a little weird I know but I think it's fun.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
It sounds logich that the trainer can be female though. Maybe that's why they didn't call him Red: If you can use her as a female, she would be named Red too which is.... yeah you know it. And maybe the Pokémon will only change into shiny? But then again, Pokémon can only have 2 different colors and in Melee, characters could have up to 5 or even 6 different outfits, so would they also give Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard different colors than as in the real game?

Hejiru

Smash Ace
I wonder what the final smash will be. Mybe he sends out Dialga or Palkia or something.

Hey, when Kirby copies him... er, them, Does Kirby get a Ivysaur/Squirtle/Charizard power, or does he get a trainer hat and jump in the background and control Pokemon?

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Again, I'm positive that he was named Pokemon Trainer because you will be able to choose from a variety of different ones. At least both the boy and the girl. It would be easy to implement since the trainer doesn't really do much besides run around and wave his hands.
It also perfectly serves the purpose of the silent protagonist that it did in the game: It lets the player identify with the character.
Hehe, I just posted the same as you thought.
Wreked said:
I do something like that too. I hold up a piece of paper so it covers the update. I click on the menu side bar to the one to which I think it is. It's a little weird I know but I think it's fun.
Hehe, so do I. And I'm sure there are more gents who do that.
Wreked said:
What's that mean? I'm serious i'm a little n00bish.
Well, the subject of this topic is about discussing Red, but because I say that I like your signature which has nothing to do with the main subject, it's off-topic ;).

Wreked

Smash Lord
I wonder what the final smash will be. Mybe he sends out Dialga or Palkia or something.

Hey, when Kirby copies him... er, them, Does Kirby get a Ivysaur/Squirtle/Charizard power, or does he get a trainer hat and jump in the background and control Pokemon?
I bet he gets a Ivysaur/Squirtle/Charizard hat and power. I really doubt he acts like a PT.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Hahaha :laugh: That would be fun, but I think each Pokémon has his own unique B move, for example Squirtle uses Water Gun, Ivysaur uses Razor Leaf or Vine Whip and Charizard Flamethrower.

EDIT: Make that only Razor Leaf for Ivysaur, Vine Whip will probally be his grab move.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Mine went a little something like this.... 14 minutes ago.

Had FireFox (heh.. yea) On full screen. Went directly to smashbros.com thinking it'll have some sort of Game Mode update or How to Play update.

Then the first thing I see was the words "Pokemon Trainer". Note the site haven't fully loaded at this point. So my first impression was "Hmm... Assist trophy". Then the site started the to load more (yea crappy connection) and noticed the Character symbol to the right. Then I was like "......Wait...What!" I look down....

Then I came here. Everyone is wilding out.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I'm gonna put Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard in Pal Park tomorrow, then train them to lvl 100 and kill everybody online, naming myself PT. Heck yeah, I see a good future for this character :).

Wreked

Smash Lord
Mine went a little something like this.... 14 minutes ago.

Had FireFox (heh.. yea) On full screen. Went directly to smashbros.com thinking it'll have some sort of Game Mode update or How to Play update.

Then the first thing I see was the words "Pokemon Trainer". Note the site haven't fully loaded at this point. So my first impression was "Hmm... Assist trophy". Then the site started the to load more (yea crappy connection) and noticed the Character symbol to the right. Then I was like "......Wait...What!" I look down....

Then I came here. Everyone is wilding out.
Lol Chidosengan. I kinda wish my computer would load smashbros.com a little slower. Espically for the new characters. The update and the warning challenger approaching thing load at the same time so I don't really get all excited when I see it. So that's probaly why I do the paper thing.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I'm gonna put Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard in Pal Park tomorrow, then train them to lvl 100 and kill everybody online, naming myself PT. Heck yeah, I see a good future for this character :).
I just wonder how he's gonna work in stages?

My example are like in Rumble Falls or Castle Siege. Is he going to follow you or just stay in one place, since the arena is constantly moving or braking.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Lol Chidosengan. I kinda wish my computer would load smashbros.com a little slower. Espically for the new characters. The update and the warning challenger approaching thing load at the same time so I don't really get all excited when I see it. So that's probaly why I do the paper thing.
Yea the Character Approaching warning didn't load for me AFTER the character picture was loaded. I was the same with Ike.

Edit: double post! Sorry!

DGK all day

Smash Apprentice
For a FS Red throws some max Potions and rare candys so then all the pokemon go wild and kill everything

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Kirby can't swallow a character who's not on the stage (stage meaning where the characters are fighting, PT is in the background). He'll get the individual Pokemon's hat and power. Just like Sheik and Zelda.

Wreked

Smash Lord
For a FS Red throws some max Potions and rare candys so then all the pokemon go wild and kill everything
His final smash would most likely be a legendary pokemon. Maybe even three. He brings in Squirt/Bulby/Char back. Then he throws out three pokeballs and three legendarys come out.

XDead Sexy

Smash Apprentice
im thinking for the trainer movement when the poke your play as moves he runs with them or jumps of some kind this characters is really cool and unique I was very surprised to see that this morning cant wait to play this. Im so happy my b-day is right after release. =D

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Or emo-hawk!

Probably just like standing on the pokeman that he has out...Charizard can fly, Squirtle can rollout and swim, and Ivysaur can... climb walls with vine whip?

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
charizard should have dragon rage that can be charged. The flame on his tail should grow as an indicator, and his tail should do fire damage like roy.

i don't think pokemon trainer is a bad addition somewhat like ics the user must really know his stuff bout each one, low tier user will prolly go for it bc it'll pose a challenge to master. i personally LOVE IT!!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
His final smash would most likely be a legendary pokemon. Maybe even three. He brings in Squirt/Bulby/Char back. Then he throws out three pokeballs and three legendarys come out.
Three legendaries come out and do what? Plus if it was going to be three legendaries, they would no doubt choose the Three Legendary Birds (how random would it be if he just threw out freakin' Mewtwo, Celebi, and Lugia or something). Since it's first gen. Which would mean removing three more Pokeball Pokemon.

I personally would want the legendary Pokemon for the Smash to be Ho-Oh. Since Ho-Oh is actually a pretty notable Pokemon in relation to the anime at least.

Also, he's way cool.

Edit:

I wonder what the Mods think about this?

Are they just as surprised as us?
I would hazard a guess that the mods are just annoyed because they have about a million duplicate threads about the update to close.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wow you guys must be at least a little happy, he's not Red but he's similar so that must count for something.

Personally I think it's good having characters with a little variation, do you guys think each pokemon will have a different recovery or will Charizard come out for the same recovery over and over?

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
I wonder what the Mods think about this?

Are they just as surprised as us?
I'm sure Chill wet his pants when he saw the update.

As for moving levels, being on the back of a flying Pokémon sounds pretty logic, otherwise he would just run after them.

As for the Final Smash, I think the trainer will use the smash, not the Pokémon. Something like a legend sounds logic, maybe something like Dialga or Palkia. There are too many legends to say for sure.

Abasi

Smash Rookie
WOW....

i can't believe you actually call this one perfectly.....

i wonder if nintendo read your idea and then made the character this is too funny

:laugh:

Top Bottom