• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer (Red!) Discussion

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Maybe each pokemon can have a final smash:

Charizard's final smash=blast burn
Ivysaur's final smash=frenzy plant
Squirtle's final smash=hydro cannon

account

Smash Rookie
pokemon trainer really suprised me... out of my expectation
i cant wait to see him... or his pokemons in action and i have so much questions about him
such as does the pokemons get damaged if hit while changing pokemons... can you change pokemons in mid air and such....

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
pokemon trainer really suprised me... out of my expectation
i cant wait to see him... or his pokemons in action and i have so much questions about him
such as does the pokemons get damaged if hit while changing pokemons... can you change pokemons in mid air and such....
The plural for Pokemon is:

Pokemon

Fawriel

Smash Master
Give me a O
Give me a W
Give me a N
Give me a E
Give me a D

What does that spell!?
Yes, we know. It was very amusing. You guys may drop the subject now.

In the end, those who thought that Red would be a playable character were right.
And those who thought he wouldn't be a playable character, were right.
So get over it.

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
Maybe each pokemon can have a final smash:

Charizard's final smash=blast burn
Ivysaur's final smash=frenzy plant
Squirtle's final smash=hydro cannon
i tink that Squirtle and Ivysaur cant learn those attacks only they last evolution can

the grim lizard

Smash Master

In the end, those who thought that Red would be a playable character were right.
So get over it.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Congrats to this topic.

I never rule out any characters from being possible, anything can happen, just think outside the box.

Adi

Smash Lord
What I'm curious about is if the pokemon will have other B-moves, particularly recoveries (b-up)

EDIT: I wonder how many of these speculation topics will be confirmed character discussions in time, mmm I can't wait for Brawl.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
@ Grim. He ALSO said Red WAS playable...here's how its is

Red IS a playable character, the update pretty much confirms that

but, at the same time, he is also not a "playable" character, considering it isn't even him that you control, but rather the pokemon. He's just there in the backround to switch pokemon

both sides are right...he is both a playable, and a non playable charcter

Chidosengan

Smash Lord

So get over it.
We can't. It's just so f'ing hilarious!

For 18 pages all comes were "no chance", "AT", "dumb logic", and "worse character suggestion ever."

And the suddenly POW Red in Brawl! This is just classic!

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
What I'm curious about is if the pokemon will have other B-moves, particularly recoveries (b-up)

EDIT: I wonder how many of these speculation topics will be confirmed character discussions in time, mmm I can't wait for Brawl.
char-Fly,squ-Rapid spin and Ivy- i dunno

Snacks will return

Smash Rookie
Just FYI: You are being just as negative. kbai
I am not dismissing other peoples views on the game as long as they don't dismiss that there are other ways to play other than their own. That is what some people fail to realise. Being positive or negative has nothing to do with the points that I try and make, I am trying to remind those that feel that the game should only be played their way are forgetting that their opinion isn't the only one that exists.

Fawriel

Smash Master
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/btlizard/redisplayable.jpg
Nobody in this thread actually suggested that Red won't actually fight himself. Because he doesn't. He's the one you select, but that's it.
Both sides are correct.
Stop trying to act so smart about it. All of you. It's obnoxious.

Meira

Smash Rookie
NNID
Meiraz
3DS FC
1762-3961-1329
So...

What if there's like all four PKMN trainers on the field? o_o

Black/Light

Smash Master
We can't. It's just so f'ing hilarious!

For 18 pages all comes were "no chance", "AT", "dumb logic", and "worse character suggestion ever."

And the suddenly POW Red in Brawl! This is just classic!
Don't forget the . . .
"No starters"

"No fully 4 legged characters"

Nay sayers:p

fluffy

Smash Champion
CHARIZARD
UPB: seismic toss
FORWARDB: slash
B: flamethrower
FINALSMASH: blast burn

SQUIRTLE

UPB: rapid spin
FORWARDB: skull bash
B: water gun...lol
FINAL SMASH: hydro pump

IVYSAUR
UPB: jumps in air with vine whip
FORWARDB: razor leaf
B: sleep poweder/poison powder/stun spore
FINAL SMASH: solar beam (cant learn frenzy plant as ivysaur)

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
For all those people who dissed Pokemon Trainer, prepare to eat your words.

He's going to haunt you for the rest of your life. Everytime you play SSBB he'll be there. Always watching. Always waiting.

Hejiru

Smash Ace
Why does his name have to be "Pokemon Trainer"? Why can't they call him a real name, like Red or Brenden?

Why are you guys all calling him Red? I thought it was Brenden....?

Black/Light

Smash Master
What do you all think will be the stat difference between them? We saw the difference between Zelda and Sheik in melee and we KNOW that these 3 have to all be pretty different.

My guess.
Squirtle= The fastest but not soo strong character of the 3. He could be like Kirby or Mario in a sense (as in, easy to pick up and play right off the bat).
Mid air and land could be it's strong suites for attackes.

Ivy=. . . IDK. Could be wrong about Squirtle being the fastest. Ivy is on all 4s so logically it should be fast. . . but it doesn't seem like a speed character. Ranged projectiles and wide attacks could be it's strong suite.

Char= Powerhouse slow heavy of the 3. Laggy but has massive power and attacks in the air could be his strong suite (part flying type+ wings).

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Wasnt expecting this.....

Oh well, im rather neutral on this, i wouldnt have cared if he hadnt made it, but now that he has- im glad.

...to the non-believers...IN YO' FACE HATAS!!!!

btw- im refuse to refer to him as PT, im gunna call him Red.

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
He isn't called Red for a reason. He's Pokémon Trainer which is a lot more general and allows for different models (read: alternate costumes) for each of the players. Or maybe they just didn't name him because they thought his role was secondary next to the Pokémon.

This update really got me surprised, wasn't expecting that. It's also nice to see Sakurai is keeping an eye on balance with the stamina thingy going on. :) As long as every Pokémon is worth it's salt there should be no problem and make way to interesting matches with a varied playstyle (this coming from a Marth player is quite ironic).

I wonder how the Pokémon changes will take place though, if they have so much lag as Zelda's/Shiek's it'll be troublesome. Hmm, something to ponder about.

As for all you nay-sayers who don't like this update, I don't understand you. It's not a character you'll play with. Ok, fine, but why bash it? It's a 3in1 character, a new concept to the game (the stamina bar) and a, dare I say, new playstyle.

I'm not a big fan of Pokémon but I enjoyed this update. Looking forward to the other characters down the line. Sakurai is doing a great job.

I guess today's update means we'll be getting Pokémon Stadium tomorrow or later this week. :)

Why the long wait for Peach, Sakurai?

Meira

Smash Rookie
NNID
Meiraz
3DS FC
1762-3961-1329
Why does his name have to be "Pokemon Trainer"? Why can't they call him a real name, like Red or Brenden?

Red is who he was when they made the manga. So I guess that kinda stuck, but I think the main reason for his name is that it's a selection when you named him (yourself) in the Red version. In blue Version there's the option for blue.

Brenden was the Ruby and Sapphire dude.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord

Where did you get Brenden?

It's either Red or Ash. But then again Sakurai calls him PT. We we call him Red....or Ash.

Arc2012

Smash Cadet
So if your pokemon runs out or low on stamina, what the heck happens? Does it die like in stamina mode in melee? Or will it just move slower, jump lower, and have weaker attacks? Speculation anyone?

And also, will the PT have a voice, or remain silent, like in red and blue?

By the way, this update was amazing. I really think they can do anything now.

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
Oh sure, now you start discussing moves. *sigh*

I'll copy my movesets from the locked thread.

The different fighters:

Now this is where it gets interesting.
You have three starters from all three evolutionary phases.
If you went by the game, this would mean that Squirtle ain't got NOTHING on Charizard, who is completely evolved.
That is, unless their levels are radically different.
My guess is that it will be more like in the anime, where being evolved or not just kinda doesn't seem to be as important.
Chances are that all three Pokemon are, disregarding what will happen on the tournament level, balanced.

So what will their different strengths be? Squirtle's strength would usually be defense, but he's obviously lighter than Charizard, right?
Sakurai will have to be creative.
Here's my theories.

·Squirtle will be the balanced one. A combo artist.
He's shown next to Mario, which seems like a good comparison.

Look at the little guy's build.
He's compact and has short limbs. He also has a shell, which he's been known to withdraw into like a certain other turtley guy we know.
I believe that Squirtle's short limbs will allow him to strike with very quick attacks with medium strength, although it probably means he has a rather short reach.

Since Pokemon have rather little to work with in the games, the anime will probably be consulted as well. But it doesn't take an anime, I think, to realize that Squirtle seems rather bouncy. I think he will have decent aerial mobility and a very quick and overall good aerial game for edgeguarding and the like.

So all in all, I see Squirtle as the solid good-for-all Mario-type character who can combo well but usually relies on edgeguarding. He's also bound to have at least one projectile.

Here's some potential B moves for him:

^B: Rapid Spin
Self-explanatory. More vertical than Bowser's, light sideways knockback and a single hit only.

B: Bubble
A weak multi-hit thing somewhat like the Icies Blizzard or maybe Bowser's firebreath, but with somewhat different qualities overall.

>B: Water Gun
A projectile. Being water, this attack should deal little damage, but good knockback.

POTENTIAL FINAL SMASH: Hydro Pump
We don't know whether each of these guys has an own FS, but it's a possibility.
Judging by the anime, Squirtle's Hydro Pump consists of him withdrawing into his shell and spinning while spewing water REALLY hard.

·Ivysaur will be a unique one. A trickster with great range, some random strong attacks and projectiles. Like Samus or Link!

He's seen running in the screenshot. Note how this is a quadruped being. In terms of mobility, I expect him to have a relatively fast dash on the ground, but to be a lousy jumper. No aerial combat for this one.

However, everyone who plays the games or knows the anime knows what sorts of tricks grass-type Pokemon have.
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur's pre-evolution, is known for Vine Whip, a whip attack with very long range, Razor Leaf, a leaf projectile with great critical hit rate and Solar Beam, a powerful move that requires charging up.
All these are bound to appear in the moveset, and I expect Vine Whip to be quite integral to the moveset as a whole. Thus my prediction that Ivysaur will be known for Marth-like range, albeit with far less power.
And can you say "extended grab"?

So all in all, Ivysaur is apt to be a fighter with a lot of tricks up his sleeve. With grass-type Pokemon, the possibilities are endless. Vine Whips for tilts. Status-affecting specials. Projectiles. And so on.

Possible B-moves:

^B: Sleep Powder
Like Jiggly, Ivysaur will attempt to put his foes to sleep by spewing sleep powder out of his bud. This is slower than Jiggly's Sing, but has greater range.
Instead of using this to recovery, Ivysaur will use his extended Vine Whip grab to grab the edge by using Z in the air, like Link and Samus.

>B: Razor Leaf
A relatively powerful projectile with a somewhat irregular movement pattern. Also gives him a tiny bit more distance if used in the air, to aid recovery.

B: Leech Seed
Ivysaur will shoot out small seeds at random angles. If an enemy is hit by these, the seeds will pop open and grow into vines that quickly grow across the victim until they disappear soon afterwards. The victim will have 1% of damage dealt at the most three times over a period of about 5 seconds, each time with light stun time that allows Ivysaur to move in for an attack and to interrupt their combos.
Seeds that fall on the ground will still spread and make the ground harder to walk on for a moment.

POTENTIAL FINAL SMASH: Solar Beam
Ivysaur collects sunlight in his bud for moment.
When he's done, the energy shoots out again skywards, then, after a short moment of silence, several beams shoot randomly all over the stage.

·What's left to say, Charizard will be the powerhouse in this trio.

Despite being very fast in the games, chances are this will not be the case here.
As seen in the screenshot, Charizard moves on his hind legs on the ground. Since he's not likely to suddenly start sliding, this will make him very immobile on the ground and consequently even slower than Bowser.
However, being a flying dragon, his aerial movement speed might make up for this.
Still, his movements will probably be clumsy and slow, which he'll have to make up for with some brute strength, range and his fiery breath.
And smooth looks. Oooh yeah.

^B: Fly
True to the HM, Charizard will fly upwards into the sky a great distancy... however, this doesn't help his recovery as much as it may seem, as he can't grab the edge while going up.
He slants backwards, then does a looping at the apex of his flight, to strike back down at a great speed. As he comes close to the point where he left off, he starts flying horizontally for a relatively long distance. The energy used in this change of direction after the momentum of the downward dash deals some heavy damage and knockback to anyone stupid enough to not make way for the dragon.
It's a mediocre move for recovery, but being so heavy and fast in the air with several jumps already, that's all he needs.

>B: Flamethrower
Good old flamethrower. Nice for edgeguarding. Unlike Bowsers, Charizard's can be used in the air a little longer if you use his momentum right, which lets you play fighter jet. \o_

B: Heat Wave
Charizard stands in place, stomps on the floor and growls, then makes a wave of heat surround him. Takes a bit to perform, but deals some really nice damage ( not a lot of knockback, though ).

FINAL SMASH AND STUFF: Blast Burn
Charizard is the only one of the three who can actually use his superduper attack.
I don't actually know what it does.
My guess would be that he creates a massive pillar of fire around himself that deals quite awesome damage AND knockback, for the trade-off of being harder to hit with than the other two.
i know this is a long post to be quoting...and i apologize, but it needs reiterated--god bless lawriel for coming up with such great predictions for moves---they also seem pretty balanced

i see a lot of posts about a bunch of nonsense

but what matters is what kind of moveset each of these pokemon has...and how each play up certain strengths

cause pokemon trainer seems like kind of a wacky idea unless the combat is really well executed

i think the stamina bar is going to make things really well balanced, and keep those who play as PT on their toes

at first i was like WTF....but if each charecter has a really good moveset then i'm all for PT and i'm really excited

i don't know much about pokemon since i'm not really a fan of them outside of Smash, so i;m not even gonna pretend to make up a moveset without an educated background--but i urge all of you posters who know more than me to post your best ideas and really make this thread interesting

Venom_7

Smash Cadet
Well, what is he gonna do on moving stages, or stages like Eldin bridge where everything falls apart? Just run around in the back? And its gonna be so wierd to see Squirtle throw a pokeball and call out Blastoise.

Meira

Smash Rookie
NNID
Meiraz
3DS FC
1762-3961-1329
Honestly I hope he doesn't speak a word. Like another recognizably green character.

It was pretty awesome running into him in Silver Mount in GSC.

Red: "..."

You: "oh crap it's red!"

*CUE BATTLE SEQUENCE*

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
For all nay-sayers, It's kind of a given that he'll move with the stage, & they may even give you temporary control to move him around. I like it.

MDupont

Smash Cadet

Emerald Brendan

RuSa Brendan

Now that we know who he is, let's not call PT Brendan K?

The Pokemon Trainer in this case is the trainer from Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green aka the Red/Blue remakes. The appearance in R/B is totally different however since that trainer looks more like Ash instead of the FRLG Trainer.

Red (Red and Blue Days)

Red (FRLG Days)

There are remote differences, but the first one is more ash related than the other one ever will be. However, he is still called Red, and the their is a playable girl character in FRLG as well, to which I think she might be an alt. costume.

Girl

Skywalker

Space Jump
I'd like to have some control over Red. He could throw punches and kicks and single jump, and then call out his Pokemon at any time.

Gotta love Nintendo for including him though, *****es. =)

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Excellent Fawriel! There's only one thing I'd pick out, and that's Squirtle and Ivysaur's final smashes.

In Pokemon XD, you could get a Chikorita, Cyndaquil and a Totodile that knew Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn and Hydro Cannon. While Bulbasaur and Squirtle can't learn it, it isn't completely out of the question for young Pokemon to use such powerful techniques. Solarbeam and Hydro Pump are perfectly fitting for them, though. Great job!

Top Bottom