• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Black and White (Spoiler Warning)

M.K

Level 55
I am appalled at Conkledurr. I'm trying to think of these names as something that a table of individuals collectively agreed upon.
I myself would effectively ***** slap the person that suggested that terrible name....RIP fearsomeness, hello dimwittedness.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, 5 generations in, one would think they'll eventually run out of ideas for names... and Pokemon for that matter. I mean, they can't even use "Pidgey" for the Pokemon that looks like an actual pigeon, seeing as there's already a Pidgey. I'm just rambling here.

UberMario

Smash Master
I really hope "Timburr, Gurdurr, and Conkeldurr" are NOT the real names, there are plenty on the list at pokemondb.net that I really hope are not genuine. Lillipup [Yorkie]? Yamask? Woobat [It even sounds like the name of the one it's replacing. >_>] Vanillish? Eelektross? [It's not even related to a freaking eel -_-] Cubchoo? Pawniard? Vullaby?

How the heck are these names even considered?

On the flipside, there are a few clever ones that I thought were pretty interesting. ("Remember the Alomomola" "There's a Foongus Amoongus")

Another funny thing is, I posted that I thought that one of the pokemon was going to be named "Watchog", but it was for the other member of the line that it ended up being used in. lol

Well, 5 generations in, one would think they'll eventually run out of ideas for names... and Pokemon for that matter. I mean, they can't even use "Pidgey" for the Pokemon that looks like an actual pigeon, seeing as there's already a Pidgey. I'm just rambling here.
I don't know about that, the community has come up with some pretty creative names in the past, heck, it only took me 90 minutes to make this list of potential Black & White names a few months ago:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11333273&postcount=7

I was hoping that names wouldn't be an issue until at least generation eight . . . . . .

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I am appalled at Conkledurr. I'm trying to think of these names as something that a table of individuals collectively agreed upon.
I myself would effectively ***** slap the person that suggested that terrible name....RIP fearsomeness, hello dimwittedness.
I'm pretty sure that the 'eldurr' part of the name is supposed to be 'elder' (which would match its Japanese name), it just looks weird spelled that way. I think it'd look better if it was spelled 'Conkeldur' (and if the rest of the line's names matched).

I really hope "Timburr, Gurdurr, and Conkeldurr" are NOT the real names, there are plenty on the list at pokemondb.net that I really hope are not genuine. Lillipup [Yorkie]? Yamask? Woobat [It even sounds like the name of the one it's replacing. >_>] Vanillish? Eelektross? [It's not even related to a freaking eel -_-] Cubchoo? Pawniard? Vullaby?

How the heck are these names even considered?
I agree that Lillipup is a lame name. I'm still not sure where Yamask comes from. Woobat is a clever way to acknowledge the previous bat Pokemon and include a 'heart' reference. Vanillish is basically the same as its Japanese name. I like the name Cubchoo; even if I don't like the design of the Pokemon itself, it matches. :glare:

DLO

Smash Journeyman
Roobushin is "pushing blocks" "old" and "Warrior". Conkel is a term that people uses for concrete material/pillars, then "Elder" because if you look he looks older and it's made with RR obviously to fit with his evo line.
The Japanese names are good, but the English ones describe the Pokèmon better sometimes.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Personally, I don't really like the look of Reshiramu (Reshiram). It kind of reminds me of a giant chicken for some reason. Plus isn't Zekuromu (Zekrom) Dragon/Electric? That alone already settles my decision on which to get. ;) In terms of a starter though, I think I am going to go with... Pokabu (Tepig), he seems to have a great moveset.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I just noticed that they changed "Wargle", which is ****ing beast for a name (And did not need to be changed), into ..."Braviary". I don't even know how to pronounce that. That's so...DUMB. Game Freak ****ed up with the English names big time.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I just noticed that they changed "Wargle", which is ****ing beast for a name (And did not need to be changed), into ..."Braviary". I don't even know how to pronounce that. That's so...DUMB. Game Freak ****ed up with the English names big time.
A bit slow on the hate train but yeah, the English names are Terybad.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
"Brave" and "aviary" aren't very hard words to pronounce on their own, so just put them together and you get "Braviary". Are there any other names that you think are dumb, or is it just that one?

Flygon3x

Smash Cadet
"Brave" and "aviary" aren't very hard words to pronounce on their own, so just put them together and you get "Braviary". Are there any other names that you think are dumb, or is it just that one?
I still think Wargle just makes more sense.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I think the problem is they didn't want a name that sounded like an animal dying. It's not that hard to imagine something going "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR-gle" and then falling over dead.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Yeah, looking back, Wargle wasn't a really cool name. I sounds like someone gargling.

Not to say that Braviary is any better. :/ Although I'm confounded that so many people can't figure out how to pronounce it on their first go. Brave + aviary.

M.K

Level 55
At the people saying it's not hard to pronounce...it's not like the words flow together perfectly. "Brave" ends on an awkward "uh" which doesn't flow into aviary.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I don't think you're "supposed to" say the entire "brave". It's more like bray vee air ee.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yeah, looking back, Wargle wasn't a really cool name. I sounds like someone gargling.

Not to say that Braviary is any better. :/ Although I'm confounded that so many people can't figure out how to pronounce it on their first go. Brave + aviary.
I'm confounded at that, and how some people think that one disagreeable name makes all of them terrible. But this happens unfailingly with each generation, so whatever. :glare:

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you're "supposed to" say the entire "brave". It's more like bray vee air ee.
Thank you. Now I feel better for not being the only one who knew how to pronounce it. It's one of the more interesting name ideas, honestly. Well, at least to me. It's like Darmanitan, I may not have gotten used to the pronounciation off the bat but once I figured it out I kinda liked it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Gyarados is such a ****ty name, I remember back in the day when names were intuitive in pronunciation and didn't look like ***

Night-san

Smash Journeyman
Serebii updated.

Pansage, Victini, and Swanna keep there names.

Miruhoggu is "Watchog," Basaruo is "Basculin," and Shikijika is "Deerling."

Can we all agree this list is the real deal now? xD It's still correct...

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Serebii updated.

Pansage, Victini, and Swanna keep there names.

Can we all agree this list is the real deal now? xD It's still correct...

Basaruo is "Basculin,"
"Basculin,"
This is easily the coolest Pokemon name ever, and has tripled my respect for him.

Top Bottom