• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Battle! Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

• Lucario

Votes: 1,019 32.2%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 327 10.3%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 175 5.5%
  • Meowth

Votes: 239 7.5%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 128 4.0%
  • Charizard

Votes: 155 4.9%
  • Scizor

Votes: 156 4.9%
  • Hitmonlee

Votes: 106 3.3%
  • Hitmonchan

Votes: 70 2.2%
  • Cubone / Marowak

Votes: 131 4.1%
  • Sandshrew / Sandslash

Votes: 61 1.9%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle and Minun

Votes: 120 3.8%
  • Eevee and evolutions

Votes: 147 4.6%
  • Gengar

Votes: 180 5.7%
  • Farfetch'd (How'd he get here, chi?)

Votes: 152 4.8%

• Total voters

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Even so, thats about 160 different options, which is still a huge range - far more than in any other series.
Yes. But popularity is also imporant. Jinx/Lickitung/Kadabra may be perfectly compatible as fighters, but how many people see them being the one who will be chosen as the next new Pokemon character?

So that detail actually lowers the count a bit more.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Yes. But popularity is also imporant. Jinx/Lickitung/Kadabra may be perfectly compatible as fighters, but how many people see them being the one who will be chosen as the next new Pokemon character?

So that detail actually lowers the count a bit more.
And yet all of those popular Pokèmon seem to be exactly the ones getting shoved into Pokèballs.

Zevox

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
And yet all of those popular Pokèmon seem to be exactly the ones getting shoved into Pokèballs.
But if they weren't popular, they wouldn't even BE in balls, isn't that right? It's a two-way street for popular pokemon, either you make the cut as playable or you get shafted as a ball. Non-popular pokemon get no end of the stick.

So there are the pokemon who have no chance(like say, Pinsir and Makuhita), and those that half 50% chance of being one or the other(Lucario, etc.). And If we are to assume that one more new pokemon character will make it in, then it has to be from the list of likely candidates, which keeps getting smaller as more of those candidates are balled instead of playable.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
^^^I like fire attacks so I chose Blaziken. . .

Really, he seems like the perfect fighter for such a game. Lucario looks coo and all but that seems to be his calm to fam. . . he just looks coo (not too strong from what I hear).

Plus, I don't really like the whole movie thing. It seems way too easy for a pokemon to get popular just by being in a movie. . . plus if pokemon were choosen by movie than we would only get Deoxy and Lucario (don't likey Deoxy). Blaziken is great imo because it's just a greatly popular popkemon that has nothing like a movie/ anime specail to give him the fad fan fav I see with Lucario. People have always (and still do now) wanted Blaziken in and that says something more than "new movie pokemon!!! Coo!" imo.
you know blaziken has a pretty slim chance. think of charzards popularity in the production time of ssb and he didnt get in. but two games later and hes in brawl. that also means we already got a fire guy. in my mind lucario is just more stand out.:urg:

skullkidd

Smash Ace
Torchic is confirmed to be a Pokeball, so Blaziken won't be playable.
It's looking bad for Lucario haters...

Black/Light

Smash Master
It is to 70% of my Smash friends, people who don't even frequent the Smashboards or IGN or anywhere else that much.
So IGN doesn't look at forums on their web-site even if they constantly talk about said forums? Im clearly taking into account that they have massive access to their forum's vibes. . . they are not 70% of your friends.
People like us aren't exactly in the majority, there's a large group of people who only visit one site or don't even bother checking this stuff out. There are Smash Bros. fans that don't even know Sonic or Pokemon Trainer are in it yet.
Whats your point? IGN is all about gaming and has forums to talk about it. They know about a site that many forums cite as having info on Mother things in smash.

There's only two kinds of Smash talk, after all: the talk in forums and the talk with friends outside forums.

And IGN certainly can't look at the talk you talk with your friends.
So your saying that they looked at the forum talk. . . .which was my point.
So you've proven nothing.
You have rambled on about nothing of substance. IGN = Huge site full of forums and fans to talk about things and the people there cleary look at their forums. . . .whats your point?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
You know, at this point, I don't trust any Pokèmon predictions. Almost every major prediction from any part of the world has been systematically deconfirmed via Pokèballs (first Deoxys, then Munchlax, Gardevoir, and now Meowth), and the one confirmed newcomer we have gotten, Pokèmon Trainer, was a complete curve ball no one saw coming. With that and the fact that there are nearly 500 different critters to choose between, I'm beginning to suspect that its going to be impossible to accurately predict who will actually get in.

Zevox
I completely agree with this.

People keep on thinking that Lucario's confirmed more and more with each Pokeball update... That's silly. To be honest Lucario isn't that interesting moves wise, and I could totally see Sakurai scrapping him and going for a more unique Pokemon. You guys act as if the competition between the Pokemon was Deoxys vs. Munchlax vs. Gardevoir vs. Meowth vs. Lucario. That's not true at all. Maybe Gardevoir was considered, he/she/it was on the poll... However, where was Pokemon Trainer in that competition? For all we know Lucario could have NEVER been considered by Sakurai at all.

Not saying that Lucario won't make it, but I wouldn't bet my money on it. Hell, I wouldn't bet money on any character making it in... Not even King Dedede.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Torchic is confirmed to be a Pokeball, so Blaziken won't be playable.
It's looking bad for Lucario haters...
well that's because torchic doesn't have as much potential (movewise) than Blazakin, but even myself a Blazakin supporter am beginning to wonder if Blazakin was even considered by Sakurai as a playable character, well seeing that Capt. Falcon will be in Brawl, it is looking bad for Blazakin due it's fire type attacks that Falcon possesess already, but still I really would like to see Blazakin confirmed as a playable character just for the fun off pissin' off people saying "OMG! Blazakin actually got confirmed"

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
So IGN doesn't look at forums on their web-site even if they constantly talk about said forums? Im clearly taking into account that they have massive access to their forum's vibes. . . they are not 70% of your friends.

Whats your point? IGN is all about gaming and has forums to talk about it. They know about a site that many forums cite as having info on Mother things in smash.

So your saying that they looked at the forum talk. . . .which was my point.

You have rambled on about nothing of substance. IGN = Huge site full of forums and fans to talk about things and the people there cleary look at their forums. . . .whats your point?

Well in that case you still haven't proven that IGN's picks aren't logical picks. You just wasted alot of time making a moot point.

Ending now.

I completely agree with this.

People keep on thinking that Lucario's confirmed more and more with each Pokeball update... That's silly. To be honest Lucario isn't that interesting moves wise, and I could totally see Sakurai scrapping him and going for a more unique Pokemon.
I'm afraid you're going to have to back up what you say. What would be more unique Pokemon?

You guys act as if the competition between the Pokemon was Deoxys vs. Munchlax vs. Gardevoir vs. Meowth vs. Lucario. That's not true at all.
You say it is not true, but WHY is it not true? Who else could be better picks than them?

Maybe Gardevoir was considered, he/she/it was on the poll... However, where was Pokemon Trainer in that competition? For all we know Lucario could have NEVER been considered by Sakurai at all.
That would be virtually impossible given Lucario's pressence in 4th gen. Sakurai would have HAD to consider Lucario at least for a minute of his time.

Not saying that Lucario won't make it, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.
*sigh* It sure sounds like you're saying Lucario won't likely make it.

Hell, I wouldn't bet money on any character making it in... Not even King Dedede.
Dedede is a Pokemon? o.O

Or, are you just talking about other new characters in general?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I'm afraid you're going to have to back up what you say. What would be more unique Pokemon?
Well, ask yourself what can Lucario bring to this game? He's just a fighting/steel type. I don't see anything really special about that.

You say it is not true, but WHY is it not true? Who else could be better picks than them?
There are tons of Pokemon that could bring a lot to this game. Pokemon Trainer proves that even if those characters are/were under consideration there was others that we had no idea about.

I'm not saying that Sakurai DIDN'T ever consider Lucario or the other Pokemon, I'm saying it's a possibility that he didn't.

That would be virtually impossible given Lucario's pressence in 4th gen. Sakurai would have HAD to consider Lucario at least for a minute of his time.
Go argue this with Black/Light.

Even if Lucario is so ridiculously popular as everyone says he is, it doesn't mean that Sakurai ever considered him as playable.

*sigh* It sure sounds like you're saying Lucario won't likely make it.
No, I'm saying that he's not "confirmed" like so many people believe he is because of all of the other Pokemon deconfirmations. My point is, is that Sakurai might have had another Pokemon on his mind.

Dedede is a Pokemon? o.O

Or, are you just talking about other new characters in general?
I thought that was quite obvious, as I said "characters".

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well in that case you still haven't proven that IGN's picks aren't logical picks. You just wasted alot of time making a moot point.
. . .Im sorry but do you happen to have ADD? You where the one talking about how they put oh soooo much research into Smash character predictions (Like Duck Hunt Dog!:p) and I simply said that they are basing their stuff on their forums which are full of Lucario fan-boys (as in, no better guess than ours). Than you went off into Starman crap. . .

And don't tell him to argue with me Andrew! He has shown to be the avrg Lucario fan-boy using every lil grasp he can to support something that aint very special. . . plus, he is pretty annoying :/ .

On topic, Im sticking with my role predictions

Mario - Link - Pika/Red - Fox
Bowser - Ganon - Mew2 - Wolf
Peach - Zelda - Jpuff or Buneary - K-fox
Luigi - Y.Link - Pachi - Falco
Toad - Tingla - none - none
Jr Bowser - Midna - none - none

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Well, ask yourself what can Lucario bring to this game? He's just a fighting/steel type. I don't see anything really special about that.
I've said it so many times I can't count..

Lucario is a mystic martial artist, something that Smash Bros. Brawl does not have. He has a movelist that is purely martial-arts based, which is also something Brawl doesn't have.

So he brings plenty to the game.

There are tons of Pokemon that could bring a lot to this game. Pokemon Trainer proves that even if those characters are/were under consideration there was others that we had no idea about.
Again:

Like WHO?

because Pokemon Trainer's pokemon aren't THAT unpredictable. So many people wanted Charizard, and Squirtle is quite popular.

Go argue this with Black/Light.
Nah, he's just a typical anti-Lucario troll who never knows when he's beat. He''ll support anything as long as it's not Lucario. I'm not even going to respond to him anymore.

Even if Lucario is so ridiculously popular as everyone says he is, it doesn't mean that Sakurai ever considered him as playable.
Not ridiculously popular.. just popular. Why can't something just be plain popular?

And it doesn't mean that Sakurai HASN'T considered him playable.

No, I'm saying that he's not "confirmed" like so many people believe he is because of all of the other Pokemon deconfirmations. My point is, is that Sakurai might have had another Pokemon on his mind.
Who would be a good candidate?

Honestly. I WANT to know your opinion on this. Maybe you can come up with a better choice than Pachirisu or Buneary.

I thought that was quite obvious, as I said "characters".
Just wanted to be sure, that's all. It'd be a shame if no new characters make it in anymore, however.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I've said it so many times I can't count..

Lucario is a mystic martial artist, something that Smash Bros. Brawl does not have. He has a movelist that is purely martial-arts based, which is also something Brawl doesn't have.

So he brings plenty to the game.
A mystic martial artist... how exciting...

Okay, whatever, I've never actually played Diamond, but it seems to me he's nothing but a fighting type, and for some reason people think that qualifies him for the perfect spot. I'd much rather have an poison, ice, or another type not represented much in Super Smash Bros.

Again:

Like WHO?

because Pokemon Trainer's pokemon aren't THAT unpredictable. So many people wanted Charizard, and Squirtle is quite popular.
I'm not going to try to guess which of them would be on Sakurai's mind...

Nah, he's just a typical anti-Lucario troll who never knows when he's beat. He''ll support anything as long as it's not Lucario. I'm not even going to respond to him anymore.
That may be, I have to say that Lucario would be a much better choice than the many electric rats that have been suggested on this forum.

Not ridiculously popular.. just popular. Why can't something just be plain popular?
Yeah... I was just meaning he's popular... nothing more.

And it doesn't mean that Sakurai HASN'T considered him playable.
Of course, I didn't say that.

Who would be a good candidate?

Honestly. I WANT to know your opinion on this. Maybe you can come up with a better choice than Pachirisu or Buneary.
Cubone! ^_^

Oh, that's my personal favorite. Honestly I don't know what Sakurai has up his sleeve. If it's Lucario, that's great... All I'm saying is it may not be. Can we come to that understanding?

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
A mystic martial artist... how exciting...

Okay, whatever, I've never actually played Diamond, but it seems to me he's nothing but a fighting type, and for some reason people think that qualifies him for the perfect spot. I'd much rather have an poison, ice, or another type not represented much in Super Smash Bros.
Have you seen him in action in the anime?

That may be, I have to say that Lucario would be a much better choice than the many electric rats that have been suggested on this forum.
Glad we can agree on that.

Of course, I didn't say that.
Good show.

Cubone! ^_^
Marowak is my favorite ground-type of 1st gen.

f it's Lucario, that's great... All I'm saying is it may not be. Can we come to that understanding?
Of course. The sensible pro-Lucario fans have always known that it's not 100% guaranteed. If we can agree that he is a possibility, then we're crystal cool.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
As much of a Pokemon fan as I am, I'd have to say there shouldn't be any new Pokemon characters playable besides Pokemon Trainer or any Pokemon that actually plays an important role in the games. Otherwise, they shouldn't be in because they wouldn't really have a role in SE.

Pikachu's in because he's pretty much the symbol for Pokemon in Japan now and could possibly play the role of one of PT's Pokemon in SE without having to come out of a Pokeball. I would not be able to see why he would keep 3 in a Pokeball while having more wondering outside a Pokeball. With that being said, I don't believe Jigglypuff has a 100% chance of returning though I'm not saying Jigglypuff is not returning.

PT can be travelling and training his Pokemon until he gets involved in the storyline of SE. He has the goal of making his Pokemon more powerful, and at the same time, he's trying to save the world.

There's only one Mewtwo in the actual Pokemon world, so I can see him as returning since he will have a distinct personality. He was cloned by scientists, but they failed to create a heart for him. That leads him to try to become more powerful. That's actually his back story in the games. The Ancient Minister (or w/e his name is) could try to turn him into a trophy just like everyone else to use his power.

Lucario...well, it's not really unique in the Pokemon world. There are actually multiple Lucarios, but they are just rare that only a few trainers have them in Sinnoh. That's why I can imagine him more as a Pokeball Pokemon than playable. Three's also the fact that Sakurai admitted to some of the Pokeballed Pokemon being popular, so it could happen to Lucario. With that being said, what kind of role will Lucario play? If you can come up with a good role for him, it might convince me that he has a better chance than I originally thought.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
They could have Lucario be the guardian of the Tree of Beginning, which houses Mew, the genetic origin of all Pokemon on Earth. Very similar to his movie, as Mewtwo in Melee also gained inspiration from his movie.

His role in SE would thus be someone fighting on the side of justice to protect life.

I noticed that you didn't touch Jigglypuff. Is it because you think she's deserving of her spot or do you think she's in the same boat as Lucario being "popular but insignificant"?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
The movie with Mewtwo got inspiration from the game, which in turn inspired Melee. Sakurai did say he will not include manga or anime characters, so why would he include the persona of Lucario that only appears in one movie? I don't feel like discussing Jigglypuff because 1) you guys keep talking about Lucario and 2) I'm too lazy to talk about Jigglypuff. Yes, Jigglypuff is in the same boat as Lucario in my eyes.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
The movie with Mewtwo got inspiration from the game, which in turn inspired Melee. Sakurai did say he will not include manga or anime characters, so why would he include the persona of Lucario that only appears in one movie?
C'mon, dude, you can't deny that Mewtwo's character in Melee was inspired far more by the movie than the game. From the voice, to the way he uses his attacks, Mewtwo didn't HAVE a personality and voice in the games. The same applies to Pikachu, it's even the same voice actor.

Sakurai said he will not include manga or anime characters, but Lucario is not one, and if Sakurai used the persona of Mewtwo and Pikachu from their animes, why not Lucario?

Heck, even the Lucario from Battle Revolution acts similar to its anime counterpart.

I don't feel like discussing Jigglypuff because 1) you guys keep talking about Lucario
Eh, you brought up Pikachu, Mewtwo and Pokemon Trainer..

and 2) I'm too lazy to talk about Jigglypuff. Yes, Jigglypuff is in the same boat as Lucario in my eyes.
Alright, that is fair.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
His voice is definitely from the movie. I'll admit a few of the attacks are too, but he does have attacks that aren't from the movies. For example, he didn't use his tail nor did he use "shadow claw" in the movies. Even though he did not have personality or voice in the games, he had history. His personality is based on what would have happened as a result of his history, which came from the games. Without the history from the game, he would've been a lot more different in the movie. There might have not even been a movie if he didn't have history.

Lucario didn't have a history from the games, so they had to make one up for the specific Lucario in that one movie. The movie was made to introduce a few fourth generation Pokemon. Mewtwo's movie continued a very small plot that was actually part of the show in the first season. There's a difference there.

I have seen the movie with Lucario, and I felt that Lucario's character in the movie had some influence from Naruto. Lucario from PBR acts similar to the anime, but he looked slower.

I brought up Pikachu, Mewtwo, and Pokemon Trainer because I felt they were more important than Jigglypuff.

I had to pick on Lucario because I'm getting tired of certain people saying his chances rose because his "competition" have all been Pokeballed or some other reason that doesn't really make sense. I'm also tired of seeing "movies" as a reason. If movies qualified which Pokemon got in, Deoxys could've got in. If the movies were actually that important, then I would say Darkrai has a higher chance of getting in than Lucario since he's the most recent. That would be bad reasoning in my eyes.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
His voice is definitely from the movie. I'll admit a few of the attacks are too, but he does have attacks that aren't from the movies. For example, he didn't use his tail nor did he use "shadow claw" in the movies.
Well, he did use his tail in Mirage Master, actually. that "shadow claw" was made up for the game also.

Even though he did not have personality or voice in the games, he had history. His personality is based on what would have happened as a result of his history, which came from the games. Without the history from the game, he would've been a lot more different in the movie. There might have not even been a movie if he didn't have history.
That isn't true, because he'd still have been the ultimate 1st gen pokemon. A movie would definitely fit around him.

But that still doesn't hold water, because not even in FireRed/LeafGreen does Mewtwo exhibit the personality from the movie. That Mewtwo is entirely anime Mewtwo, and only shares the same history as the game Mewtwo, nothing more. "would'ves" and "could'ves" don't cut it I'm afraid.

Lucario didn't have a history from the games, so they had to make one up for the specific Lucario in that one movie. The movie was made to introduce a few fourth generation Pokemon. Mewtwo's movie continued a very small plot that was actually part of the show in the first season. There's a difference there.
..The difference being, that Lucario's movie actually held more significance to the game than Mewtwo's did? Because that's what it sounds like you are saying.. XD

I have seen the movie with Lucario, and I felt that Lucario's character in the movie had some influence from Naruto. Lucario from PBR acts similar to the anime, but he looked slower.
Hm, you are right. It's possible that Lucario's appeal comes from his ninja-like combat qualities in a time where Naruto is very popular here. At the same time, that "shonen" feel of Lucario is probably what also makes him popular in Japan.

I had to pick on Lucario because I'm getting tired of certain people saying his chances rose because his "competition" have all been Pokeballed or some other reason that doesn't really make sense.
..But that reason DOES make sense.

Jigglypuff is proof of it.

I'm also tired of seeing "movies" as a reason. If movies qualified which Pokemon got in, Deoxys could've got in.
I personally thought that Deoxys' movie was terrible. Though that's because I was hoping for an actual villainous Deoxys.

If the movies were actually that important, then I would say Darkrai has a higher chance of getting in than Lucario since he's the most recent. That would be bad reasoning in my eyes.
The movies are not THAT important. BUT they DO factor into the whole equation.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Well, he did use his tail in Mirage Master, actually. that "shadow claw" was made up for the game also.
The Mirage Master movie came long after Melee, so if anything, Mewtwo using the tail in the anime was influenced by SSBM.

..The difference being, that Lucario's movie actually held more significance to the game than Mewtwo's did? Because that's what it sounds like you are saying.. XD
I meant that Mewtwo's movie did continue something from the show while Lucario's movie was not continuing anything from the show.

..But that reason DOES make sense.

Jigglypuff is proof of it.
Some people claim Jigglypuff was in the original because it was too difficult to make Pit, so they made Jigglypuff because they can base some attacks off of Kirby while also keeping a general shape. They can also say Jigglypuff was in Melee from lack of time. Therefore Jigglypuff isn't proof of anything.

Plus chances can't be a reason because everything has already been determined by Sakurai. If they already have the full game, the characters, ATs, Pokeballs, EVERYTHING has been determined. Therefore it's either 100% they are in the game or 0%. There's chance of people predicting it right, but there's no longer chance of who's actually in or not >_>. That's why I don't believe chance can be a reason.

I agree that Deoxys's movie wasn't good, but there were plenty of people hoping he'd get in but ended up finding out he got Pokeballed. Probably one of the many reasons I don't have too much hope for Lucario.

The movies are not THAT important. BUT they DO factor into the whole equation.
The question is, how much of the equation? If a Pokemon got in, it's personalities are based on the anime; however, that does not mean roles in the anime/movie have as much as an influence in determining who gets in. Lucario had one movie and merchandise that came out with the movie. What else does he have? You could argue that there's only one egg that your trainer can get in D/P, but others could argue back that Darkrai is an event Pokemon, which makes him more rare. I want to see other arguements besides the anime and merchandise that goes with the anime and popularity.

vinternet

Smash Cadet
Smash's roster is comprised of significant or popular video game characters. Lucario is significant in that he stands out amongst his generation as being revealed early and having his own movie. He's popular because of these reasons. Unfortunately for him, he comes from a game with 492 other characters vying for attention. There's a reason the originals seem so much more "SIGNIFICANT" - they weren't AS lost in a sea of monsters. Lucario has more plausability than most, though, and if you believe that they'll add a newer pokemon, its hard to disagree that he's a good choice.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Some people claim Jigglypuff was in the original because it was too difficult to make Pit, so they made Jigglypuff because they can base some attacks off of Kirby while also keeping a general shape. They can also say Jigglypuff was in Melee from lack of time. Therefore Jigglypuff isn't proof of anything.
..Wait a minute, because "some people claim" this, that means Jigglypuff isn't proof of anything??

Jigglypuff was the second most popular pokemon in her time. That says alot, doesn't it?

Plus chances can't be a reason because everything has already been determined by Sakurai. If they already have the full game, the characters, ATs, Pokeballs, EVERYTHING has been determined. Therefore it's either 100% they are in the game or 0%. There's chance of people predicting it right, but there's no longer chance of who's actually in or not >_>. That's why I don't believe chance can be a reason.
That's completely semantics. "predicting who was chosen" and "predicting who's going to make it" essentially mean the same thing..

The question is, how much of the equation? If a Pokemon got in, it's personalities are based on the anime; however, that does not mean roles in the anime/movie have as much as an influence in determining who gets in.
but you DID ask for a way that Lucario could have made it into SE with a background, which I presented. Is it not viable?

Lucario had one movie and merchandise that came out with the movie. What else does he have? You could argue that there's only one egg that your trainer can get in D/P, but others could argue back that Darkrai is an event Pokemon, which makes him more rare. I want to see other arguements besides the anime and merchandise that goes with the anime and popularity.
Besides that, he was also the highest rank you could get in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and one of the first 4th gen pokemon revealed. He is also one of the costumes you can unlock in Battle Revolution(of which all the costumes are of popular pokemon). The monster itself is unique despite what others say, not just from his appearance that takes from mythic and Egyptian overtones, but also the fact that it's among the few pokemon that have moves that can almost be considered 'signature moves'. Pikachu has thunder/shock/bolt, Jigglypuff has Sing, Mewtwo has Psychic/Shadow Ball, Squirtle has Withdraw/WaterGun, Ivysaur has Vinewhip, Charizard has Flamethrower, and Lucario has Aura Sphere, a move that feels very 'Lucario-y', there are many pokemon that simply don't have moves that personafy into their character as much. Moves that seemed to be made for that Pokemon. Lucario is the 'Aura Pokemon' after all, a Pokemon that can see the aura of all living things, predict an opponent's thoughts and actions through their aura, and can actually understand human speech and dialogue instead of just commands(these are all Pokedex info, not anime info).

But honestly, there is no argument that I think will satisfy you because your biggest concern is the significance of the monster to the game's story. If this is case, only Legendary pokemon would be doable in your eyes then, wouldn't they?

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Besides that, he was also the highest rank you could get in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and one of the first 4th gen pokemon revealed. He is also one of the costumes you can unlock in Battle Revolution(of which all the costumes are of popular pokemon). The monster itself is unique despite what others say, not just from his appearance that takes from mythic and Egyptian overtones, but also the fact that it's among the few pokemon that have moves that can almost be considered 'signature moves'. Pikachu has thunder/shock/bolt, Jigglypuff has Sing, Mewtwo has Psychic/Shadow Ball, Squirtle has Withdraw/WaterGun, Ivysaur has Vinewhip, Charizard has Flamethrower, and Lucario has Aura Sphere, a move that feels very 'Lucario-y', there are many pokemon that simply don't have moves that personafy into their character as much. Moves that seemed to be made for that Pokemon. Lucario is the 'Aura Pokemon' after all, a Pokemon that can see the aura of all living things, predict an opponent's thoughts and actions through their aura, and can actually understand human speech and dialogue instead of just commands(these are all Pokedex info, not anime info).

But honestly, there is no argument that I think will satisfy you because your biggest concern is the significance of the monster to the game's story. If this is case, only Legendary pokemon would be doable in your eyes then, wouldn't they?
:Stands up and gives PyrasTerran a standing ovation: Great job. If I could I'd declare you the winner just for that speech.. but I can't. I'm being serious too, I know sarcasm is hard to detect on forums.

Lucario definitly should be in the game. along with Mewtwo and Jigglypuff.

Black/Light

Smash Master

I agree that Deoxys's movie wasn't good, but there were plenty of people hoping he'd get in but ended up finding out he got Pokeballed. Probably one of the many reasons I don't have too much hope for Lucario.
The question is, how much of the equation? If a Pokemon got in, it's personalities are based on the anime; however, that does not mean roles in the anime/movie have as much as an influence in determining who gets in. Lucario had one movie and merchandise that came out with the movie. What else does he have? You could argue that there's only one egg that your trainer can get in D/P, but others could argue back that Darkrai is an event Pokemon, which makes him more rare. I want to see other arguements besides the anime and merchandise that goes with the anime and popularity.
*Starts a slow clap* This is mush of what I have been saying to the lala land Lucario fan-boys.
Like I said a looong time ago, I think people are trying to over analyze this. "Lucario is populare world wide cause he is 14th on the Pokemon trading site". . . .Pika aint on that list which is mainly made of hard to get/ rare pokemon in the games. By this logic Molitic and Eevee should get in before him seeing as they are 5th and 10th on that list.
"Theres a Lucario uni-form in Pokemon Rev!" . . . theres like 7-13 pokemon uni-forms there.
" . . . .merchandise" Did it ever cross anyone's mind that it had merchandise back than as a result of having a important role in a movie which was made purely to show some 4th gen pokemon years before the game came out? I haven't seen the thing get top billing in merch sence the 9th movie came out. Deoxys movie was the last movie directly about RS which is probly why he didn't get massive merch well the 8th movie was purely for showing off the 4th gen.
"Only one in the games" One of pokemon are not uncommon in the games. Eevee, Snorlax, Togepi and Sudowoodo (amoung many others) where all one-of pokemon at some point.

Really, I don't "hate" the thing nor am I "anti-Lucario" but I can't seem to find one Lucario-fanboy with a solid reason that isn't either "It's fighting typed" or some mad grasping at straws to find lil things that Sakurai could very well have never tooken into account. With every pokemon in Smash theres a clear cut reason for them to be in. . . not a small hill made of lil events and observations. The only reason I even debate the thing is because it's fan-boys are sooo annoying and arrogant that anything pokemon related adds up to "more chances for Lucario!" or the thing being "99% confirmed" to some of them. I truely think some of them are on drugs or live in a surreal land. . . :ohwell:

And I wont be braking the un-written rule of trying to get actual debate on a support thread for a character again to those who where there. Basicly adds up to "fan-boy yells and other fan-boys prise said fan-boy".

Loowis

Smash Rookie
I voted Charizard. Will float well, fire breathing, seismic toss !? :o

I'd love it. But before him, make sure Jigglypuff gets her slot!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Loowis... Charizard is playable. ;) If you use Pokemon Trainer..

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
*Starts a slow clap*

Really, I don't "hate" the thing nor am I "anti-Lucario" but I can't seem to find one Lucario-fanboy with a solid reason that isn't either "It's fighting typed" or some mad grasping at straws to find lil things that Sakurai could very well have never tooken into account. With every pokemon in Smash theres a clear cut reason for them to be in. . . not a small hill made of lil events and observations. The only reason I even debate the thing is because it's fan-boys are sooo annoying and arrogant that anything pokemon related adds up to "more chances for Lucario!" or the thing being "99% confirmed" to some of them. I truely think some of them are on drugs or live in a surreal land. . . :ohwell:

And I wont be braking the un-written rule of trying to get actual debate on a support thread for a character again to those who where there. Basicly adds up to "fan-boy yells and other fan-boys prise said fan-boy".

I understand your reasoning of no one really giving a solid reason why Lucario should be in brawl. My Main reasoning of wanting him in Brawl is because I like him alot. I don't have to sit here and argue with other people who are against Lucario to satisfy myself though. If he makes it in then thats awesome. If he gets Pokéball'd then thats too bad. Better luck next game. I will be annoyed however if they take out Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. They deserve to come back.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion

-Being the highest rank in Mystery Dungeon doesn't really mean anything. Like I said, look at Gardevoir, who had an important role in the story.

-Pachirisu, Roserade, Electivire, Groudon and Kyogre are also costumes. Notice the last three I listed, and what happened to them. Speaking of Roserade, there could be something special about it. It's the only Pokemon to have gotten a baby AND an evolution in one generation, ever.

-Ditto, Transform. Chansey, Softboiled. Pachirisu, Discharge. Smeargle, Sketch. Castform, Weather Ball. Miltank, Milk Drink. Kingler, Crabhammer. See where I'm going with this? There are a lot of other Pokemon with signature moves, and no one is making a case for them.

-Lucario's aura ability isn't really that special. If I recall correctly, an Espeon can predict an opponent's next move based on air currents. As for understanding human speech, I always thought that was a silly thing for the Pokedex to say, personally. When you've got Pokemon like Alakazam that go beyond the intelligence of a supercomputer....it really is quite strange. >_>

Oh, and just to let you know, I don't have anything against you or anything, if you feel like I do. o_o You're a good debater, and I just like adding things to spark a discussion. If Lucario does make it into Brawl, then congrats. I'm just not liking the rabid Lucario fans with their "LOL, another Pokemon crushed! Lucario's so going to be in!" attitude. =/

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
confirmed news:charizard,squirtle,ivysaur in via pokemon trainer.meowth,deoxys and muchlax are assist trophys. I also dont think blazikean will be in due to the fact that torchic is a assist trophy(just thought that might be a sign that hes not in).

sorry if this has been repeated by a lot of people but i just wanted to point it out

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
confirmed news:charizard,squirtle,ivysaur in via pokemon trainer.meowth,deoxys and muchlax are assist trophys.
sorry if this has been repeated by a lot of people but i just wanted to point it out
WOW, NO ONE knew that...you must be a firggin genious

Black/Light

Smash Master
I understand your reasoning of no one really giving a solid reason why Lucario should be in brawl. My Main reasoning of wanting him in Brawl is because I like him alot. I don't have to sit here and argue with other people who are against Lucario to satisfy myself though. If he makes it in then thats awesome. If he gets Pokéball'd then thats too bad. Better luck next game. I will be annoyed however if they take out Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. They deserve to come back.
Well thank you for your understanding. Im all for people just wanting him in because they like him (Like yourself) because thats how I support any character I want. My lil rants are the by-produce of, such as Yukiwarashi said, the "rabid Lucario fans with their "LOL, another Pokemon crushed! Lucario's so going to be in!" attitude".

It's all coo to support a character but when people start claiming this pokemon is the "only logical choice/ 90% confirmed" because their fan list have fallen to balls and consantly bash any other pokemon choice because their not on said list than I start wanting to see proof/ reason.

My point, Lucario aint a shoe-in and his fan-boys (The rabid ones that scrape the sea bottoms for reasons for him) should not count their chickens before they hatch. Stop acting like the thing is soo important that it "has" to be in when all it's "reasons to be in" are a hand full of small things that alot of pokemon have/ share. It Lucario gets in than fine. . . if he doesn't than Sakurai must not have felt he was important enuff to be a PC like Red-RB starters and Pika.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
I've been crying over Meowth's deconfirmation for quite a while. But now I feel better.
Anyway, I don't hold much credence for the opinions of people who want Buneary or Sora in Brawl. But that's an ad hominem attack, so I'll stick to the facts...
Wait! There aren't any real facts, just opinions

My point, Lucario aint a shoe-in and his fan-boys (The rabid ones that scrape the sea bottoms for reasons for him) should not count their chickens before they hatch. Stop acting like the thing is soo important that it "has" to be in when all it's "reasons to be in" are a hand full of small things that alot of pokemon have/ share. It Lucario gets in than fine. . . if he doesn't than Sakurai must not have felt he was important enuff to be a PC like Red-RB starters and Pika.
Lucario is the most likely 4thgeneration Pokemon to be playable in Brawl. After that is Pachirisu, and then nothing. Not having a 4th generation rep would be weird, but the scenario is plausible. At this point I can't see any RSE Pokemon being playable, with Gardevoir deconfirmed, and Blaziken on its death bed.
-Being the highest rank in Mystery Dungeon doesn't really mean anything. Like I said, look at Gardevoir, who had an important role in the story.

-Pachirisu, Roserade, Electivire, Groudon and Kyogre are also costumes. Notice the last three I listed, and what happened to them. Speaking of Roserade, there could be something special about it. It's the only Pokemon to have gotten a baby AND an evolution in one generation, ever.

-Ditto, Transform. Chansey, Softboiled. Pachirisu, Discharge. Smeargle, Sketch. Castform, Weather Ball. Miltank, Milk Drink. Kingler, Crabhammer. See where I'm going with this? There are a lot of other Pokemon with signature moves, and no one is making a case for them.

-Lucario's aura ability isn't really that special. If I recall correctly, an Espeon can predict an opponent's next move based on air currents. As for understanding human speech, I always thought that was a silly thing for the Pokedex to say, personally. When you've got Pokemon like Alakazam that go beyond the intelligence of a supercomputer....it really is quite strange. >_>

Oh, and just to let you know, I don't have anything against you or anything, if you feel like I do. o_o You're a good debater, and I just like adding things to spark a discussion. If Lucario does make it into Brawl, then congrats. I'm just not liking the rabid Lucario fans with their "LOL, another Pokemon crushed! Lucario's so going to be in!" attitude. =/
The flaw in your arguments is that you pick them apart individually. See, together, they mean nothing.
Combined, they're fairly persuasive to those whose minds are not made up.
" . . . .merchandise" Did it ever cross anyone's mind that it had merchandise back than as a result of having a important role in a movie which was made purely to show some 4th gen pokemon years before the game came out? I haven't seen the thing get top billing in merch sence the 9th movie came out. Deoxys movie was the last movie directly about RS which is probly why he didn't get massive merch well the 8th movie was purely for showing off the 4th gen.
"Only one in the games" One of pokemon are not uncommon in the games. Eevee, Snorlax, Togepi and Sudowoodo (amoung many others) where all one-of pokemon at some point.
I'd appreciate it if you could get your facts straight. While I am pleased that you FINALLY have an answer to this point, it's not a very good one. Sure, they were hyping the movie, but it wasn't just the movie. Note how Bonsly, Weavile, Mime Jr., and Munchlax were all promoted heavily, too. Granted, they were all in the movie, but only Munchlax and Weavile had any relevance whatsoever.
The contention is that Lucario has been and continues to be an integral marketing symbol for D/P.
Do you deny it was used for promoting the 4th generation, B/L?

Amen. Let's stop with the Sandman Question, peoples.

MDupont

Smash Cadet
Serebii over at the Serebii.net in one of the chatrooms has confirmed that there is at least 1 more new Pokemon rep and 1 more old 1 to be revealed on the site. I don't know if they are just regulars, or secrets, so yeah. You can trust him though, he has contacts. He was one of the first people to reveal a lot DP details when the game was coming out.

Top Bottom