• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Battle! Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

• Lucario

Votes: 1,019 32.2%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 327 10.3%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 175 5.5%
  • Meowth

Votes: 239 7.5%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 128 4.0%
  • Charizard

Votes: 155 4.9%
  • Scizor

Votes: 156 4.9%
  • Hitmonlee

Votes: 106 3.3%
  • Hitmonchan

Votes: 70 2.2%
  • Cubone / Marowak

Votes: 131 4.1%
  • Sandshrew / Sandslash

Votes: 61 1.9%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle and Minun

Votes: 120 3.8%
  • Eevee and evolutions

Votes: 147 4.6%
  • Gengar

Votes: 180 5.7%
  • Farfetch'd (How'd he get here, chi?)

Votes: 152 4.8%

• Total voters

Arashi

Smash Cadet
I was surprised to see Sandslash in the poll. I LOVE Sandslash (I'm sort of a maniac, I suppose) and voted for it. Of course, Sandslash/Sandshrew have the least votes so far and I know that there's no plausible way that either of them would appear in Brawl, but I shall dream of it...

fishman3114

Smash Cadet
none of the above

They already have pikachu and pokemon trainer, I doubt they will put any more pokemon characters.

Black/Light

Smash Master
They already have pikachu and pokemon trainer, I doubt they will put any more pokemon characters.
I would agree. After Mewtwo and Jpuff theres no more seemingly important roles that did to be filled for the series.

Main char: Pika
Side kick: PT ( 3 new playable pokemon)
Important female figure: Jpuff
Villian: Mewtwo

These are roles most (if not, all) series aim to fill and Pokemon was never any different in that respect.

We already got 3 new playable pokemon, I personaly wouldn't expect any more at this point. They got all the important roles down with the best reps that could be choosen for each role. . .

Black/Light

Smash Master
Might I point out that, Smash 64 to Melee, we got FOUR new playable Zelda characters?
. . .Yea, and they where ALL in these roles in what you know as the role theory. . .and important to the series. . . and actually rep the main roles of a series. How many will they get before they get as many as they need? LoZ surely doesn't NEED 9-10 Brawl characters. . :ohwell:

courte

Smash Lord
sorry if im spamming anyone know where i can get those small character support images

courte

Smash Lord
yes im sure they'll ignore there second largest franchise with no new additions... i also bet theyre not gonna add more new pokeballs or anything like the sort...

rayecho

Smash Ace
i wonder where people are getting these random pokemon to be in Brawl? its like they pick them randomly out of the like 500 pokemon there are. who is next, onix?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
yes im sure they'll ignore there second largest franchise with no new additions... i also bet theyre not gonna add more new pokeballs or anything like the sort...
Yeah, kinda like how they definitely had a G/S Pokemon planned to be playable in Melee, and didn't have to resort to a clone, MIRITE?

Boofer

Smash Ace
I doubt that you doubt it. I think you just don't want another one. And, are you saying that no pokemon from the other two smash games will return? I think you're pulling your own leg if that's the case.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I would agree. After Mewtwo and Jpuff theres no more seemingly important roles that did to be filled for the series.

Main char: Pika
Side kick: PT ( 3 new playable pokemon)
Important female figure: Jpuff
Villian: Mewtwo

These are roles most (if not, all) series aim to fill and Pokemon was never any different in that respect.

We already got 3 new playable pokemon, I personaly wouldn't expect any more at this point. They got all the important roles down with the best reps that could be choosen for each role. . .

PT = sidekick? What?

I'm not sure I believe that role theory. I don't think the "important female figure" plays a role. Plus, you can't confirm that Jiggs is a girl :p.

But anyway, don't be surprised if there is another role added to that list; important Newcomer to the franchise. But of course, this only applies to the big 3.

Black/Light

Smash Master
PT = sidekick? What?

I'm not sure I believe that role theory. I don't think the "important female figure" plays a role. Plus, you can't confirm that Jiggs is a girl :p.

But anyway, don't be surprised if there is another role added to that list; important Newcomer to the franchise. But of course, this only applies to the big 3.
Actually, the role formula goes like this (and yes, ANY series TO DATE that has had 2 + characters has had them in them appear in these roles)

Main character/ Mascott of the series
Side-kick/ Rival like character/ Look alike or different version of the main character.
Important female figure of the series
Villian of the series

Brake down of the above. . .
(Main character or mascott refers to does being either the main character or Mascott (like pika/ Marth) of a series)
(Side-kick/ Rival like character/ Look alike or different version of the main is alil bit different. Logically not all series have a "side-kick" such as the case with pokemon, LoZ, Kriby or samus. So things like "rival/ different version or the main character" where best for them)
(Important female figure and villian are just that.)

And Jpuffs, in their own respective game, are always 3/4s female. . . not to mintion that she has ribbons for her colors all smash games. Half of all Pika's are male, Mewtwo has not gender and the starters are male 87% of the time. Jpuff is clearly the female of them.

Now, Im going to re-list the formula in it's fullness just because I can't re-find the old one.

SSB64
Mario series_________
Mario-Main character
Luigi-Side kick

Pokemon series_______
Pikachu- Main character/Mascott of the series
Jpuff- Important female figure of the series

SSBM
Mario series________
Mario-Main character
Luigi-Side kick
Peach-Important female figure of the series
Bowser-Villian of the series
Doc- Different version or look-a-like of the main character

Pokemon series_______
Pichu- Different version or look-a-like of the main character
Mewtwo- Villian of the series

LoZ series_______
Link- Main character
Y.Link- Different version or look-a-like of the main character
Zelda/ Sheik- Important female figure of the series
Ganon- Villian of the series.

SF series______
Fox- Main character of the series
Falco- Side kick

FE______
Marth- Main character or Mascot of the series
Roy- Different version or look-a-like to the main character

SSBB confirmed characters

Mario series________
Mario-Main character
Luigi-Side kick

Pokemon series_______
PT- Main/side kick (he is actually the main character but pika has been in smash as the main/ mascott sense 64. Pika IS the mascott of the series so that seperates them. Notice that PT is main of the 3 RB starters. . . 3 of the most iconic pokemon and are the first you get in the series)

LoZ______
Link- Main character of the series
Zelda- important female figure of the series

Kriby______
Kriby- main character of the series
MK- Rival
DDD- Villian of the series

Metriod_____
Samus- Main character of the series
Zero- Different version of the main character

Dk_____
DK- Main character of the series
Diddy- Side kick

NOW, time to look at who people think are the most likely new comers. . .
Bowser Jr- Villian
Toad- Side kick
Geno- Side kick
Midna- Side kick OR important female figure
Ridly(sp)- Villian
Krystal- Important female figure of the series
Wolf- Rival/ Villian
Cluas (sp)- Rival/ villain
WW Link- Different version of the main character
Micaiah- important female figure

Hell, often times people naturely support characters that naturely fall under these roles because they are the most important roles of a game. I can tell you right now that I don't think some of them will be in but I can fully see/ why any of them could make it.

Edit, this color makes me think of kool-aid. . .

Boofer

Smash Ace
True, most of the characters fit one of those roles, but then again you've named almost every possible role especially in the "sidekick/rival/different version of the main character" slot.

Also, are you implying that there is an order to this? That it always follows that same order? Honestly, I just think he picks characters based on these three things: importance to the series, possibility of having a unique moveset, and popularity. I don't think role is even a factor; main characters of any kind of franchise/movie/book will naturally fall into the roles you've mentioned.

And, I think the pokemon series has a few special cases. Of course, you know that one is PT, but the other is Mewtwo. Mewtwo is not even really the main Villain of the franchise. I can see why he would be considered one, but I don't think he's the main one. His inclusion has alot to do with those three things that I said earlier.

E-Z-MONEY

Smash Journeyman
True, most of the characters fit one of those roles, but then again you've named almost every possible role especially in the "sidekick/rival/different version of the main character" slot.

Also, are you implying that there is an order to this? That it always follows that same order? Honestly, I just think he picks characters based on these three things: importance to the series, possibility of having a unique moveset, and popularity. I don't think role is even a factor; main characters of any kind of franchise/movie/book will naturally fall into the roles you've mentioned.

And, I think the pokemon series has a few special cases. Of course, you know that one is PT, but the other is Mewtwo. Mewtwo is not even really the main Villain of the franchise. I can see why he would be considered one, but I don't think he's the main one. His inclusion has alot to do with those three things that I said earlier.
Agreed. Actually if I remeber correctly Mewtwo isn't a villain at all in the game. He is just a legendary pokemon that lives in a cave. He is only a villain in the movies. Like Lucario is a sidekick in the movies. OMIGOSH! Does that mean . . . Lucario for brawl.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
Actually, the role formula goes like this (and yes, ANY series TO DATE that has had 2 + characters has had them in them appear in these roles)

Main character/ Mascott of the series
Side-kick/ Rival like character/ Look alike or different version of the main character.
Important female figure of the series
Villian of the series

Brake down of the above. . .
(Main character or mascott refers to does being either the main character or Mascott (like pika/ Marth) of a series)
(Side-kick/ Rival like character/ Look alike or different version of the main is alil bit different. Logically not all series have a "side-kick" such as the case with pokemon, LoZ, Kriby or samus. So things like "rival/ different version or the main character" where best for them)
(Important female figure and villian are just that.)

And Jpuffs, in their own respective game, are always 3/4s female. . . not to mintion that she has ribbons for her colors all smash games. Half of all Pika's are male, Mewtwo has not gender and the starters are male 87% of the time. Jpuff is clearly the female of them.

Now, Im going to re-list the formula in it's fullness just because I can't re-find the old one.

SSB64
Mario series_________
Mario-Main character
Luigi-Side kick

Pokemon series_______

SSBM
Mario series________
Mario-Main character
Luigi-Side kick
Doc- Different version or look-a-like of the main character

Pokemon series_______
Pichu- Different version or look-a-like of the main character
Mewtwo- Villian of the series

LoZ series_______
Link- Main character
Y.Link- Different version or look-a-like of the main character
Zelda/ Sheik- Important female figure of the series
Ganon- Villian of the series.

SF series______
Fox- Main character of the series
Falco- Side kick

FE______
Marth- Main character or Mascot of the series
Roy- Different version or look-a-like to the main character

SSBB confirmed characters

Mario series________
Mario-Main character
Luigi-Side kick

Pokemon series_______
PT- Main/side kick (he is actually the main character but pika has been in smash as the main/ mascott sense 64. Pika IS the mascott of the series so that seperates them. Notice that PT is main of the 3 RB starters. . . 3 of the most iconic pokemon and are the first you get in the series)

LoZ______
Link- Main character of the series
Zelda- important female figure of the series

Kriby______
Kriby- main character of the series
MK- Rival
DDD- Villian of the series

Metriod_____
Samus- Main character of the series
Zero- Different version of the main character

Dk_____
DK- Main character of the series
Diddy- Side kick

NOW, time to look at who people think are the most likely new comers. . .
Bowser Jr- Villian
Toad- Side kick
Geno- Side kick
Midna- Side kick OR important female figure
Ridly(sp)- Villian
Krystal- Important female figure of the series
Wolf- Rival/ Villian
Cluas (sp)- Rival/ villain
WW Link- Different version of the main character
Micaiah- important female figure

Hell, often times people naturely support characters that naturely fall under these roles because they are the most important roles of a game. I can tell you right now that I don't think some of them will be in but I can fully see/ why any of them could make it.

Edit, this color makes me think of kool-aid. . .
Spelling Ridley and Claus wrong = auto-fail

jk
good post

so b/l you gouin to use a new color now or wut?

Kenji! oh god stop wit the spoiler deals! i feel as if i missed out on sumthing!

also i b/l i believe your formula to be the best so for at what might happen in brawl!
congratulations!

Black/Light

Smash Master
I named all the important roles to look at when looking for characters that are important in a game. The "sidekick/rival/different version of the main character" is clearly more of a case by case role. Samus has no sidekick/ rival. . . .so she got a different version of herself as a 2nd character. Same thing with Link and Pika in melee. It's a general list of titles that are "next in line" to the main character so they got grouped.

My reason for showing this on this thread is to show that pokemon was never excluded from these list of important roles.

Never said there was a order to them. . . .but it does seem that the sidekick/ rival/different version of the main character and important female figure are interchangeable for the 2nd slot and villians seem to come last.

And these roles ARE importance to the series which ALSO effect popularity. I don't see Slappy being as wanted as Falco or Krystal.

Pt really isn't one. When it comes to pokemon as a series who do you think of first? Pika. . . Pika is the mascott of the series and has been the only pokemon to be treated as such with things like "Hey you Pikachu" and the Pika giga-pet (both eout before SSB64). We can clearly see PT takes ALOT of time to do and Sakurai claims that Mewtwo was suppose to be in SSB64 so Im seeing him as a late main character duo to him being more than we could have expected in either of the other games.

And Mewtwo was a villian in the games. Not only did he blow up a mansion and kill all the scientist in it (btw, he is the only pokemon know to outright kill people) but his Pokedex bios describe him as such.
"A vicious psychic pokemon created by genetic engineering. It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemy"
"Mewtwo is a pokemon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this pokemon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart."
"a pokemon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this pokemon's body, they failed to give him a warm heart"
"A pokemon whose genetic code was repeated recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result"
"A pokemon created by recombining Mew's genes. It's said to have the most savage heart amoung pokemon"

He is also the final battle of the game. The thing you work hard to get to. The one pokemon that wiped out and entire mansion full of researchers and is said to have the most savage heart amoung ALL pokemon. He is'nt just some legendary, he is THE pokemon villian in the pokemon games.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I named all the important roles to look at when looking for characters that are important in a game. The "sidekick/rival/different version of the main character" is clearly more of a case by case role. Samus has no sidekick/ rival. . . .so she got a different version of herself as a 2nd character. Same thing with Link and Pika in melee. It's a general list of titles that are "next in line" to the main character so they got grouped.

My reason for showing this on this thread is to show that pokemon was never excluded from these list of important roles.
Ok, fair enough. I still think Pokemon has some weird special cases that are based a bit on the anime. You're not one of those people who thinks the anime has nothing to do with who's in brawl are you?

And these roles ARE importance to the series which ALSO effect popularity. I don't see Slappy being as wanted as Falco or Krystal.
Ok, now I think I understand what you're saying. You're right; these roles do determine who's important to the series. No complaint there.

Pt really isn't one. When it comes to pokemon as a series who do you think of first? Pika. . . Pika is the mascott of the series and has been the only pokemon to be treated as such with things like "Hey you Pikachu" and the Pika giga-pet (both eout before SSB64). We can clearly see PT takes ALOT of time to do and Sakurai claims that Mewtwo was suppose to be in SSB64 so Im seeing him as a late main character duo to him being more than we could have expected in either of the other games.

I said pokemon trainer was a special case because he would be considered the (generic) main character of the game, but pika already took up that spot. Now I realize that you've already mentioned it. But then you'd also have to count PT as the protagonist/main character. He fits that more than he fits the second role on your list imo.

I do see your overall point though.

And Mewtwo was a villian in the games. Not only did he blow up a mansion and kill all the scientist in it (btw, he is the only pokemon know to outright kill people) but his Pokedex bios describe him as such.
"A vicious psychic pokemon created by genetic engineering. It's cold, glowing eyes strike fear into it's enemy"
"Mewtwo is a pokemon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this pokemon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart."
"a pokemon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this pokemon's body, they failed to give him a warm heart"
"A pokemon whose genetic code was repeated recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result"
"A pokemon created by recombining Mew's genes. It's said to have the most savage heart amoung pokemon"

He is also the final battle of the game. The thing you work hard to get to. The one pokemon that wiped out and entire mansion full of researchers and is said to have the most savage heart amoung ALL pokemon. He is'nt just some legendary, he is THE pokemon villian in the pokemon games.
Ok, fair enough. I must say that I don't remember much from red and blue, so ehh...You're probably right. But is mewtwo also THE main villain in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations? This is a serious question btw. This is kind of why I see Pokemon (the game) as a special case; imo the main characters are generic, and the main pokemon are different for every player. This is why I think who gets in obviously has something to do with the anime.

Black/Light, I'll admit that I see your point. I agree that Pokemon doesn't really need a new playable...but I still want one and I still think it's a possibility.

Cosine

Smash Apprentice
I realy Think that each Pokemon Gen desirves at least one rep, even though the first is the most popular.

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
it would be nice though

they need a super pokemon brawl

then everyone would be happy :D

493 characters too chose from! who can argue with that ;) might take 10 years to make but whtvr.
-------------------------
"Black/Light, I'll admit that I see your point. I agree that Pokemon doesn't really need a new playable...but I still want one and I still think it's a possibility."

ps. i live 40min. awy frm houstin onii-chan :D...houston is dumb though.

i know i want at least 3 more pkmn in brwl it couldn't hurt, look at all the mario characters...they don't have 493 to choose from but still have half of the mario world, or mabye even more. and no the PT only counts as 1 pkmn character, considering you have to switch out.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Ok, fair enough. I still think Pokemon has some weird special cases that are based a bit on the anime. You're not one of those people who thinks the anime has nothing to do with who's in brawl are you?
I believe that the anime is a by-product of the games popularity and show case their popular pokemon. Like Pika for example. . . the creator of pokemon said he never intened for Pika to be the mascott (from the looks of it the starters seem to be the focused pokemon to the maker. You start you advanture with one and they where on the boxes before the legendaries bummed them). When pokemon came out Pika was simply one of the more popular ones that could appeal to both genders and the big guys thought that there should be a singla pokemon of focus to repersent the series when the anime was being made.

The most iconic pokemon of the anime are often times populare in the games as well or have been used to promote the next big game so I would say that the anime is connected to the games.

I said pokemon trainer was a special case because he would be considered the (generic) main character of the game, but pika already took up that spot. Now I realize that you've already mentioned it. But then you'd also have to count PT as the protagonist/main character. He fits that more than he fits the second role on your list imo.
I agree. PT is the actual main character where as Pika is the mascott who could also be seen as a main character to smash:p

Ok, fair enough. I must say that I don't remember much from red and blue, so ehh...You're probably right. But is mewtwo also THE main villain in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations? This is a serious question btw. This is kind of why I see Pokemon (the game) as a special case; imo the main characters are generic, and the main pokemon are different for every player. This is why I think who gets in obviously has something to do with the anime.
Mewtwo doesn't appear as the villian in every game. . . but he is the only pokemon to EVER be a villian which is why he retains the title of the pokemon villian. It's even reflected in the movies. . . there is not one other pokemon that acted as Mewtwo did in his movie (probly because they wanted to make it more fam friendly. . . .too bad their sells suffered because of it) and theres not one other legendary pokemon in the games that did the the things he did. Mewtwo is basically the first and last pokemon to really be a villian.

Black/Light, I'll admit that I see your point. I agree that Pokemon doesn't really need a new playable...but I still want one and I still think it's a possibility.
Thank you, and I also hope we get more and I surely think it could happen. I just personally don't think it will (or atleast that the chances of it happen are slim to nill). If you go to the pages 16-19 of the PT thread and read the comments (quotes) from the maker of pokemon about his thoughts on the series than you would see just how much more PT reps the true nature of pokemon than just {insert populare pokemon}. Its just, when I think about the importance of PT, the way he is made of 3 pokemon teamed together and every other pokemon in smash I just can't really see a need for anymore. . . . but Im still hoping Buneary/ Lopunny gets in;)

And if it means anything to you I would like to let you know that you seem to be one of the most sensable Lucario fans I have incountered in a long time. It's good to see someone NOT go into a blind fury whenever I state my opinion on such a thing. kaid. . . seems to be more of a ego-tistic fanboy(more than he use to be atleast) now-a-days.

Boofer

Smash Ace
LOL. I'm not blinded by fanboyism because I just became a fan of him. Truthfully I'm only a fan because I like his aura sphere and how he looks. I haven't even seen the full movie that he was in. He's just one of the characters that imo could fit well in the game.

There are quite a few characters that I want in simply because I think they look cool/unique, could have a decent moveset, and would fit in well with the existing cast (Geno's another example, but I also share some vague memories of him).

Black/Light

Smash Master
I run a shrine. I'd think you'd expect a religius nut.
AAhhhhhhh:)
And Im sure you are ;)
(gives Kaid a juicy pop and tells him to go play with his lil friends)

And you a can finally see my whole character roles formula for yourself now. . . . Im pretty much sure you only brush it off cause it leaves Lucario with the "random pokemon" title compared to all the others:p

Are you going to call it false or untrue now? IDK but it's clear how characters are picked in roles of importance from where I stand.

rayecho

Smash Ace
AAhhhhhhh:)
And Im sure you are ;)
(gives Kaid a juicy pop and tells him to go play with his lil friends)

And you a can finally see my whole character roles formula for yourself now. . . . Im pretty much sure you only brush it off cause it leaves Lucario with the "random pokemon" title compared to all the others:p

Are you going to call it false or untrue now? IDK but it's clear how characters are picked in roles of importance from where I stand.
yea importance, just like lucario and iron man lol

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
I believe that the anime is a by-product of the games popularity and show case their popular pokemon. Like Pika for example. . . the creator of pokemon said he never intened for Pika to be the mascott (from the looks of it the starters seem to be the focused pokemon to the maker. You start you advanture with one and they where on the boxes before the legendaries bummed them). When pokemon came out Pika was simply one of the more popular ones that could appeal to both genders and the big guys thought that there should be a singla pokemon of focus to repersent the series when the anime was being made.
Actually Satoshi Tajiri originally intended for Clefairy to be the mascot. Which is why the trainer in the first Manga has one. But for whatever reason they decided on Pikachu instead. Perhaps it was better for their image or something.

I do hope that Jigglypuff and Mewtwo come back as Veterans. After that if there is room for another newcomer, I'd like Lucario to be that newcomer.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Actually Satoshi Tajiri originally intended for Clefairy to be the mascot. Which is why the trainer in the first Manga has one. But for whatever reason they decided on Pikachu instead. Perhaps it was better for their image or something.

I do hope that Jigglypuff and Mewtwo come back as Veterans. After that if there is room for another newcomer, I'd like Lucario to be that newcomer.
What?
I've never heard this before.
Source plz?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I don't think Satoshi Tajiri wanted Clefairy specifically, but there is truth in what he says. For the anime, Ash was originally going to get a Clefairy, but eventually they decided to go with Pikachu instead.

Fawriel

Smash Master
What?
I've never heard this before.
Source plz?
I've heard of it before.... and never before has a better marketing decision been made than to make the mascot Pikachu instead. If Clefairy was the mascot, Pokemon would now be some sort of underground subculture in the west because I can't imagine any non-Japanese person liking that thing...
Kind of like if Tingle was the hero of LoZ.

Top Bottom