• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Battle! Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

Which Pokemon deserves a Brawl spot the most?

• Lucario

Votes: 1,019 32.2%
  • Blaziken

Votes: 327 10.3%
  • Deoxys

Votes: 175 5.5%
  • Meowth

Votes: 239 7.5%
  • Dragonite

Votes: 128 4.0%
  • Charizard

Votes: 155 4.9%
  • Scizor

Votes: 156 4.9%
  • Hitmonlee

Votes: 106 3.3%
  • Hitmonchan

Votes: 70 2.2%
  • Cubone / Marowak

Votes: 131 4.1%
  • Sandshrew / Sandslash

Votes: 61 1.9%
  • Pichu Bros. / Plusle and Minun

Votes: 120 3.8%
  • Eevee and evolutions

Votes: 147 4.6%
  • Gengar

Votes: 180 5.7%
  • Farfetch'd (How'd he get here, chi?)

Votes: 152 4.8%

• Total voters

Risu-Zeon

Smash Rookie
I think the Pichu Bros. or Plusle and Minun Should be in there, like the Ice Climbers. It just add variety :]

kaid

Smash Master
People who claim PT is 3 characters for the purpose of "proving" there's enough pokemon already fail to consider something.

If we assume 40 characters in Brawl, like most of us seem to, then if they did hold to the same character ratios as Smash 64 and Melee, Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario would get 7-8 characters EACH. Even counting PT as 3 characters, AND saying Jiggs returns, there would still be room for one or two more pokemon, without being "too many."

The deciding factor for those three is whether the franchise has enough important characters. Pokemon could stretch it's important characters far enough to get a game of it's own, so it's not the limiting factor.
Zelda could easilly get 6/7 characters- TP link, WW young link, Zelda/Shiek, Dorf, arguably Midna, and Tingle. (don't laugh, he's got his own spinoff series now)
Mario is a bit trickier, but Bowser Jr has been in almost every mario game since his creation, supplanting the Koopalings as Bowser's trusted mid-game bosses. For th 6th slot, there's a lot of mediocre characters to choose from- Toad is probably the best possibility, but Peach is still using him for a weapon, so that's unlikely.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . I have no idea where that rant came from but lets talk about that.:ohwell:

If Mew2 and Jpuff (jpuff was confirmed By Snake's VA so this is mainly for Mew2) return than there will be 6 playable pokemon in this game no matter how you see characters/ reps/ slots or any other terms. Thats 2 more than melee and all are important to the series. That IS a good chuck of playable pokemon nomatter how you toss it.

There is no rule saying Mario/ LoZ/ Pokemon will all auto get 7-8 characters, thats simply a assumption by fans who try to form a pattern out of the last 2 games (which is wrong seeing as you need more than 2 variables to form a pattern). They all simply got the most important roles fulled. . . really, I don't see there being like 10-12 Mario characters in SSB4 (around half of which have no reason to be in smash in the first place) simply to keep up with a made up pattern.

I have a formula depicting how characters from a series fall into roles that are commonly important to games, you know of this formula for the most part. I like to go by said formula because it shows who is most impartant to the series as protentail smash characters. By all means it's logical for mario to have just 6 characters along with Pokemon having 6 playable pokemon and LoZ having 5-6 characters. . . no one would complain with that if it where the case.

kaid

Smash Master
You are mixing standards.

You call them "playable pokemon" and count them separately, but your own system equates Pokemon Trainer with Luigi, Geno, and Bowser Jr, put together, which is not a fair CHARACTER balance.

Black/Light

Smash Master
You are mixing standards.

You call them "playable pokemon" and count them separately, but your own system equates Pokemon Trainer with Luigi, Geno, and Bowser Jr, put together, which is not a fair CHARACTER balance.
What system? My forumal counts titles and roles of characters. . . Im counting them as "playable pokemon" because they are pokemon who are playable. . .which they are. Never said my forumal had 6 roles to be fulled.

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
What if you could unlock Pokémon for the Pokémon Trainer's set-up? There are many Pokémon that people want, so to have some of the minor/popular ones be Trainer choices would be a great idea. That way, you can save your Trainer's line-up with a Name/Wiimote, and you can always have your favorite teams.

There are three max: small (Squirtle), medium (Ivysaur), and Charizard. To name some of the Trainer's side (bold ones can glide):

Small - Totodile, Chimchar, Psyduck, Machop, Crogunk, Treecko
Medium - Scizor, Heracross, Gengar, Floatzel, Raichu, Kadabra
Large - Typhlosion, Garchomp, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Flygon, Metagross

Still, Lucario and Blaziken should be their own, especially Lucario.

Black/Light

Smash Master
But you reduce Pokemon to only 4 "roles," absolutely no growth over even the less popular LoZ from Melee.
Roles Im refering to for all series.
Main character
Sidekick/ rival- look alike or different version of main character
important female figure
Villian

These "roles/ titles" don't have to grow in numbers for the number of playables to grow. Bowser Jr gets in. . ."Villian". Toad get's in. . . Peach's "sidekick". That god ugly doll get's in. . ."Sidekick". Midna gets in. . . Link's "sidekick (or Important female figure)". Zant gets in. . . "Villian".

They don't have to look at something like "generic enemy" as a role to full to push out more characters.

The titles/ roles don't have to increase for the number of Playables to get bummed up. As you can see in one role there are 3 playable pokemon. . . thats under Red as the "sidekick/ main character" title.

kaid

Smash Master
So, Blacklight, you reject out of hand a system that incororates past examples, because there's "no proof", but cling to one which is broken by the appearence of Jigglypuff? When, outside the anime, has Jiggs ever been one of your 4 "roles?"

Black/Light

Smash Master
So, Blacklight, you reject out of hand a system that incororates past examples, because there's "no proof", but cling to one which is broken by the appearence of Jigglypuff? When, outside the anime, has Jiggs ever been one of your 4 "roles?"
Main character
Side kick/ Rival/ Look alike or different version of the main character
Important female figure
Villian

Are you telling me that the pink ball of puff, with bows and ribbons for colors in melee, with all it's cuteness and female looks, being the 2nd most populare pokemon only to Pika doesn't give her the role of "Important female figure"?:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

In no way is my "roles" formula broken homs. If anything it's more relyable than that "the top 3 series auto get so-and-so amount of characters added" seeing as it not only uses the first 2 games but the newcomers in brawl as well (3 variables are what Im looking at. 64-melee-brawl) along with comments about 64 from Sakurai (he wanted to have Peach/ Bowser/ Mewtwo/ Wario and D3 in 64. . . name all their roles and find them on the formula please)

And I will hunt down my list of this formula so sit tighr.

Edit, can't find it. . . but if you give me a long reply post than I will have reason to re-write it (this is the longest Im doing for a tiny statment like that. . . short and sweet after this till I see something with affort in your post)

Main character
Side kick/ Rival/ Look alike or different version of the main character
Important female figure
Villian

Are you telling me that the pink ball of puff, with bows and ribbons for colors in melee, with all it's cuteness and female looks, being the 2nd most populare pokemon only to Pika doesn't give her the role of "Important female figure"?:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

In no way is my "roles" formula broken homs. If anything it's more relyable than that "the top 3 series auto get so-and-so amount of characters added" seeing as it not only uses the first 2 games but the newcomers in brawl as well (3 variables are what Im looking at. 64-melee-brawl) along with comments about 64 from Sakurai (he wanted to have Peach/ Bowser/ Mewtwo/ Wario and D3 in 64. . . name all their roles and find them on the formula please)

And I will hunt down my list of this formula so sit tighr.

Edit, can't find it. . . but if you give me a long post than I will have reason to re-write it
You know who's an awesome sidekick even though he's on the villain's team? Mime Jr. that's who!

Seriously though... Who is pikachu's sidekick? only one i can think of is pichu... Who's his rival? If we're going by the anime then Elekid... well electebuzz now...

And who is pikachu's look alike? pichu that's who! Therefore is pichu is awesome and is returning

Black/Light

Smash Master
You know who's an awesome sidekick even though he's on the villain's team? Mime Jr. that's who!

Seriously though... Who is pikachu's sidekick? only one i can think of is pichu... Who's his rival? If we're going by the anime then Elekid... well electebuzz now...

And who is pikachu's look alike? pichu that's who! Therefore is pichu is awesome and is returning
I mean't it in a "this or that" manner.

For some series theres no sidekick or rival for that matter so they choose the look-a-like or different version of the main character.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
How's Jigglypuff an important female figure? THE Jigglypuff with the microphone has not appeared since Johto; plus if you are going by anime, then the important female figure at the moment would be Dawn/Hikari >_>. If Jigglypuff were to return, the reason wouldn't be she's an "important female figure". That's also not a reason why she was in the first two since she was more of a comic relief character in the anime. I don't care whether she returns or not; I only made this post to say you need a better reason for why she's returning.

How's Jigglypuff an important female figure? THE Jigglypuff with the microphone has not appeared since Johto; plus if you are going by anime, then the important female figure at the moment would be Dawn/Hikari >_>. If Jigglypuff were to return, the reason wouldn't be she's an "important female figure". That's also not a reason why she was in the first two since she was more of a comic relief character in the anime. I don't care whether she returns or not; I only made this post to say you need a better reason for why she's returning.
Mimiroru is an important female figure! MIMIRORU FOR BRAWL!!!!!!

It is, he's just trying to be a japanophile.
>_>; You don't have to insult me. I watch the japanese episodes not the dubbed ones so their names get stuck with me, you don't have to be so rude.

anyway buneary is an important female pokemon seeing as she has a crush on pikachu.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Im not going by anime. Im going by the fact that she was (and still is) the 2nd most popular pokemon of the series along with the fact that she, very much, looks to be a "female figure" in smash with the bows and ribbons for colors. (Look at the think and tell me it DOESN'T look like a female)

And one reson I think she is coming back is because Snake's VA leaked that she is in the game.

kaid

Smash Master
You took the words from my mouth.

Blacklight, your reply?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Look back a page. . .
Im not going by anime. Im going by the fact that she was (and still is) the 2nd most popular pokemon of the series along with the fact that she, very much, looks to be a "female figure" in smash with the bows and ribbons for colors. (Look at the thing and tell me it DOESN'T look like a female pokemon)

And one reson I think she is coming back is because Snake's VA leaked that she is in the game.
And if you want to know what Im refering to when I say "important" than look at it like this. . .

Pika - The most populare and well liked pokemon to date.
Makes him imortant right?

Jpuff - The 2nd most popular and well known pokemon to date.
Sounds important doesn't it?

Put that with the fact that she very much appears to be feminine in both looks and in repsentation in smash (has bows and ribbons as re-colors which are both feminine) and you get the term "Important female figure".

If thats your "driving force" as to why the formula that simply shows that every series with more than one character gets characters in these roles is wrong than thats a weak drive.

Edit - 3/4s of all Jpuffs are female. . .

rayecho

Smash Ace
that and also jigglypuff was in every smash so far even though im one to bash jiggly in the face y wouldnt they put her in again as a starting secret character. there is no reason y
jiggs could be an unlockable character like she was in the last two games. and everyone cant be to sure now that jiggs is going to be given a spot in brawl. Ness was in the first game and the second, but he may have been replaced by lucas.

Black/Light

Smash Master
jiggs could be an unlockable character like she was in the last two games. and everyone cant be to sure now that jiggs is going to be given a spot in brawl. Ness was in the first game and the second, but he may have been replaced by lucas.
Snake's VA leaked Jpuff.

Top Bottom