• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokedex Entry 6: Snake

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
there you go susa

wanna dthrow?

go ahead

but you'll have a ton of typh **** in yo face

...actually that doesn't sound too bad

i mean

what

SuSa

Banned via Administration
My zard works vs snakes too. Too good at not getting grabbed.

Still in snakes favor we have to be sooo much better than our opponent just for an even matchup.

Yaaayy pt!
Explain to me how you are avoiding getting grabbed. :p (just because Matabird wasn't really clear on it)

And we still have better tools then Charizard with or without the grab.

Miles.

Smash Champion
Explain to me how you are avoiding getting grabbed. :p (just because Matabird wasn't really clear on it)

And we still have better tools then Charizard with or without the grab.
I have a better questions Susa,

How do YOU grab ME, when I dont get pivot grabbed? (Not that its not stuppid good, with dumb good range) but because I know about it and avoid it.

EDIT

as in your dashing grab is not gunna wreck me, and I sure as **** am not gunna attack your shield.

Toby.

Smash Master
This slapping sounds good.

In terms of landing the grab, I think you'll find that if somebody gets zard into the air it becomes far easier to land a grab or pivot grab. All they have to do is stand under us and respond to what we do. Nair, dair = shield grab, whilst b reversed/wavebounced flamethrower = pivot grab. Rock smash is dealt with in the same way as the flamethrower.

Assuming snake can't get us into the air, then its a case of us outspacing the grab and other ground moves, which are often superior in range, power etc. The precise spacing this requires can often be defeated by snake simply playing his standard camping game. The only thing he really needs to look out for is SH flamethrower, which will deal about 15% at most, assuming they know how to DI. If we space it to avoid a pre-emptive punish such a bair (goes through flamethrower lololol) or simply a roll to grab, then snake will only be only take a couple percent damage anyway.

Also, simply by doing a short grenade toss snake can completely stop our ability to space with flamethrower, providing he does the toss and moves back slightly. This is because the grenade will now be at the perfect position to punish a properly spaced flamethrower.

So what tools do we have to actually zone snake? I can't really think of anything very reliable apart from upthrow. I'll have to have a little think about it I guess. If he didn't have those grenades it would be a different story, but meh. We just have to hope for a lucky dtilt to gimp.

yay snake ^_^

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
guys i think i found a new technique to minimize/negate snake's dthrow

as soon as you are grabbed, slap the snake player in the face and tell them to **** off with that bull****
nah I found a better one, its called the mata, you simply turn to the opponent and say "I understand whats going on here, but im still not going to agree with it"

I'm fine with everything, you guys are the ones all about it. i dont care for dthrow. I'm not the only one arguing so address them too. Its my opinion to say its not that bad and thats where i stand.
its my opinion to say that you are bad and thats where I stand ;)

ok, I'm done being a ****wit,
PT boards <3

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
nah I'm pretty **** to be honest but,
I'd rather be a cocky snake player then a cocky charizard who thinks he cant be downthrow techchased.
but dont worry, thats just me stirring up trouble.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
ha alright go find where i said i can't be downthrown techchased. Well at least i know my charizard is better then your snake and i never said anything about being cocky

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ha alright go find where i said i can't be downthrown techchased. Well at least i know my charizard is better then your snake and i never said anything about being cocky
lols sorry for flaming you dude but you are wrong, and I can tell -saying this in the nicest way possible- that you are not good at argueing points because first some of your info was wrong and then we showed you otherwise and you keep telling us its not.

then, you go right out and say that you didnt call me cocky -which I dont mind being called- when you did

ha wow, okay...cause im sure your all beast. just a cocky snake player. I dont even know who the hell you are.
then you said above quote about techchasing so...

I've been dthrown before, im not stubborn i'll take the hit and continue on if anything. Its like you're just blowing it way out of perspective.
i dont care for dthrow. I'm not the only one arguing so address them too. Its my opinion to say its not that bad and thats where i stand.
Its not a huge advantage and dthrow isn't that bad on charizard
replying to susa, you just gave all the stuff for the down throw. it is harder to predict then your saying unless your god, which i doubt. You can't predict everything and all your throwing out there is stuff you do out of d throw.
I'll argue with you... just like IRL said there are other ways around it. not just one thing you have to do.
your right magik except for the down throw part (-referring to being ***** by downthrow-)
I really dont think snake can 0-death charizard with one grab. The amount he has to guess right to keep re-grabbing is pretty bad... I'm not scared about snakes grab nor worry about it.
you can just say "Mata"

its actually a little different then the normal stand up. To actually re-grab charizard out of it you need to run pass him and pivot grab. -wrong- Most snake players wouldn't do that thinking its a normal stand up and wouldn't get the grab. You don't have to roll behind them to get away.

It's as devastating as playing any other character except some have faster stand up/roll animations. If a snake shields any attack from someone attacking and getting up its a free hit. doesn't matter if your charizard or not.

I dont see how its a big problem because when your d/thrown by snake its the same as other characters....

Your making this a bigger deal then it is. Its a grab.
d throw is only one attack... they aren't going to possible read every move you do unless you tell them. and believe me "rolling" backwards with charizard helps a lot. He isn't that slow otherwise he'd be stuck on the ground forever.

now I'm not saying I'm better than you or that I can beat you, but I sure as hell could downthrow techchase the **** outta you.

anyways this same arguement has been going round in circles constantly so...

edit- whilst I said I'm **** I'm actually alright, I came 17th at EVO (as if thats some big achievement) so I know what I'm talking about

PS - toby dont hate me ;)

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
I never said i couldn't be tech chased i said i didn't care for it. What do you care that i say my charizard can beat your snake. You guys are getting overly aggressive about this where your taking everything so seriously. Really need to grow up. So say whatever you want i know i'd win. Simple as that :)

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
IVE NEVER PLAYED YOU BUT I KNOW ILL WIN RRRRGH INTERNET FIGHT

edit to avert the caps thing

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
What do you care that i say my charizard can beat your snake./QUOTE]

I dont really... I live in Australia anyways so its like I'll ever get to play you, but susa's got my back, he'll pwn you for me ;)

and yes shaya you are correct, my mistake, I had a memory failure due to me wishing I was better then I really am.

we should all aspire to be more like the great sage toby

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I never said i couldn't be tech chased i said i didn't care for it. What do you care that i say my charizard can beat your snake. You guys are getting overly aggressive about this where your taking everything so seriously. Really need to grow up. So say whatever you want i know i'd win. Simple as that :)
"I don't care for something that potentionally makes the match from "skill level matters" to "lol dthrow"

Bestiarius

Smash Ace
Yeah, the sad thing Snake's d-throw @$$***** Charizard.
P.S. lol at MaTA saying Snake's d-throw is just a grab. That's almost as bad as saying that the IC's have "just" a grab, considering how bad Snake's d-throw is for Charizard. ALMOST. Then again, very little is as gay as the IC's grab game. In fact, maybe nothing is.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Here's what to do when Charizard takes a dthrow from Snake:
And it's 100% effective.

Crouch, lube up Zard's sphincter and prepare yourself for a prison rate butt ****. Either stay down, or get beat down. Snake will be merciless.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Cant you SDI out of a snake D-air......Im not trying to be a jerk at all just wondering if its a better idea of stay on the ground and attempt to SDI a D-air and risk 29% instead of the 80 from dealing with getting harassed while trying to stand up. Im starting to think staying laying on the ground and giving snake a free hit is a better option due to taking less damage than being D-throw tech chased.

Vermy

Smash Champion
You can sdi snakes dair, but it'll be harder considering you're on the ground and sdi-ing down won't get you anywhere.
Take the ftilt. Its slightly less ****. Just....don't play as charizard unless you can space like a fothermucker. Its like trying to play squirtle vs marth. It will make you cry.

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
If a Snake Dthrows you you should almost always roll to the edge or grenade. If they drop an grenade and then Dthrow you, you get grabbed again guaranteed of you roll away from the nade. Juts roll to it and often you can still escape before it explodes. =P

Uhm juts trying to add something to this discussion that has been going on for a while now.

kozimoto

Smash Journeyman
Niagara Falls NY. US , Strasbourg, France
Here's what to do when Charizard takes a dthrow from Snake:
And it's 100% effective.

Crouch, lube up Zard's sphincter and prepare yourself for a prison rate butt ****. Either stay down, or get beat down. Snake will be merciless.
This is probs the biggest concern when playing against snake. by the edge its instant dead and any slight hesitation and u have a mouthful of invisible boot :(

which pokemon is the best in the start against him? usually i rack snake up to about 80-100 with Squirtle and then d throw him and swith to Ivy go for the kill. if everything goes according to plan i switch to Charizard when he dies and chuck up boulders until i get utilted lol

Vermy

Smash Champion
Squirtle for all of stock 1.
Ivysaur does what she can till she's at about 60-70%, switch to Zard, try not to get *****.
Squirtle back out for 3rd stock.
Things to remember:
-Keep a watergun charged so you can spray nades back at him.
-if you forsee a mortar slide, hold A. Jab > mortar slide.
-explosions count as fire knockback, ivy is weak against them and will die from a fresh c4 early as 66% without DI
-grab releas at the edge of the stage puts Snake in a very bad position. He can either upB straight back up, or DI away and take damage from C4-ing himself. Either way, you're free to go for the gimp. If this opportunity arises, do NOT pass it up.
-Dthrow tech chases are gay.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i really don't know if it's plausible to di out of snake dair when zard is lying on the ground because your only real di option is behind snake since he's moving forward...down there's a stage there and up will just get you deeper into snake's knees...plus zard is so **** big.

kozimoto

Smash Journeyman
Niagara Falls NY. US , Strasbourg, France
i really don't know if it's plausible to di out of snake dair when zard is lying on the ground because your only real di option is behind snake since he's moving forward...down there's a stage there and up will just get you deeper into snake's knees...plus zard is so **** big.
what im doing right now to get outa the downthrow is doing a neutral getup or get up attack and hoping for the shieldstab:dizzy:

Tien2500

Smash Lord
what im doing right now to get outa the downthrow is doing a neutral getup or get up attack and hoping for the shieldstab:dizzy:
Yeah. It works but Snake's shield has to be pretty low and he has to be aiming it wrong.

Rolling backwards is the best option. They'll be so shocked that you did it they won't react on time. :laugh:

Miles.

Smash Champion
dayuuumm gurl you looking good in that hot red dress.

i played dsf today and he was ****** me with the dthrown business.

"how many millions of the timothys and williams?"

Kith

Smash Ace
PT's biggest advantage is that most Snake players don't know the matchup >.<. BTW, HRNut and 8-bit really don't know about how amazing down throw is against us. I played 8-Bit all the time at FIU, and I don't plan on ever telling him lol. (I hope he doesn't read this o.o)

Top Bottom