• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokéswapping (Wi-Fi Trading Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
What are the major differences between platinum and diamond/pearl?
im considering buying a DS just to play platinum!! (cause i have a wireless router this time around)
im aware of the battle frontier, giratina origin forme, shaymin sky forme, and your trainer becoming the strongest Npc trainer in the survival zone. What am i missing?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, I just hacked a Slaking with Huge Power and Choice Band for laughs...

He's got an attack of over 1,000...

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Question, what does everyone here think about hacking pokemon? If you keep everything within their normal limits and make all the data how it should be in-game, is it all that bad? All it does really is save you many many hours of work, so is it all that bad?

Platypus

Smash Ace
Astride a magic potato alongside Mario. ________ S
That depends what you consider "bad." If you think that people who can afford hacking devices and such are equal to people who must capture and train, you are thinking only of the end result, the difference being months of work. Shoddy Battle would be very different if a normal game process were required for everything.

tl;dr, I won't hate you, but I'll be at a huge disadvantage.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Question, what does everyone here think about hacking pokemon? If you keep everything within their normal limits and make all the data how it should be in-game, is it all that bad? All it does really is save you many many hours of work, so is it all that bad?
AR hacks: people hate it.

Pokesav: people dislike it.

RNG abuse: people accept it.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Hello everyone...um
Would anyone mind trading me a Cyndaquil or Charmander or Zangoose? (really any second or first gen starters are loved)
I <3 these pokemon to death...I'm not a competive player and dont have much to offer, I'm sorry.
I do have Phione Piplup Chimchar Turtwig Treecko Torchic Mudkip that I can breed up quickly if wanted and the ability to breed over and over again to try to get certain natures without becoming frustrated. :)

Edit: I can also trade pokes with Pokerus!

Melfice z

Smash Ace
Well i finally traded my xbox 360 for a ds and platinum yesterday... and ive already played 10 hours (lol?)

can anyone hook me up with a duskull? i can give an untouched shieldon or togepi in return!

Ok.. i know this trade is a waste of time but itd be really appreciated! :(

Zero X Unit

Smash Cadet
Hello :3 I need a Jirachi for just a few sec's, I need to see it on my Platinum's Pokedex, i'll trade it right back, I promise ^^

Thanks~

M.K

Level 55
Also, I was advised here ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241215 ) that I need to see all the sinnoh pokemon in order to trade from sapphire to platinum but now I'm looking online and I'm seeing that Manaphy can only be "Received from Pokémon Ranger from Fiore or Almia (egg)". So, I have to have this Pokemon Ranger game just to get him??
Go to the Pokemon Mansion (the one with Mr. Backlot), and in the room with Mr. Backlot and his Butler, there should be a book on a table that has Manaphy's picture and information. ^.^

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Go to the Pokemon Mansion (the one with Mr. Backlot), and in the room with Mr. Backlot and his Butler, there should be a book on a table that has Manaphy's picture and information. ^.^
Thanks a lot, I'll check that out tomorrow. The only one left after that is Hippopotas which is apparently annoyingly rare and I can't see how to get in Maniac Tunnel...I admittedly have only spent about 5-10min. trying for that one though.

Anyone know the fastest way to get a lot of coins?

Solid Neku

Smash Rookie
EDIT: someone beat me to the Manaphy thing : /

As for coins, the fastest way for me is just to buy them. Around the same area as that mansion on route 212, there are some people where if you challenge them again (forgot what the tool is called that you need) you'll receive a lot of money for winning. Walk 80-100 steps (again, not sure) and then challenge someone else in that area.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i wanted to post this somewhere in the poke area, but theres no social thread, and this is the closest thing to it:

for the sake of the thread though, i'll ask a question:

What's better in teams? Porygon-Z based on Choice Specs or Nasty Plot?

Solid Neku

Smash Rookie
Erm, might depend on who else you have on your team, but I would think Choice Specs would be better since you might not have time to set up in a doubles match.

M.K

Level 55
Thanks a lot, I'll check that out tomorrow. The only one left after that is Hippopotas which is apparently annoyingly rare and I can't see how to get in Maniac Tunnel...I admittedly have only spent about 5-10min. trying for that one though.

Anyone know the fastest way to get a lot of coins?
If you go to the Unown caves (to the right of Solaceon) and catch more different types of Unown, the Ruin Maniac's Cave will grow in length and Hippopotas will become more common. Good luck ^.^.

4,000 posts =DD

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: someone beat me to the Manaphy thing : /

As for coins, the fastest way for me is just to buy them. Around the same area as that mansion on route 212, there are some people where if you challenge them again (forgot what the tool is called that you need) you'll receive a lot of money for winning. Walk 80-100 steps (again, not sure) and then challenge someone else in that area.
Thanks it's still a long process but oh well. Your thinking of "Vs. Seeker" by the way

Mewter

Smash Master
For those of you who don't know, Darkrai's WiFi event is going on right now for Platinum.
By Serebii
The Member Card event for Pokémon Platinum is now live in America and also in Europe. This event is going to be running until September 13th in America and presumably around the same in Europe. This item, once collected, will allow you entry to Canalave City's Inn where you'll end up going to New Moon Island where a Level 50 Darkrai dwells.
That's pretty awesome. Nintendo finally found a real use for the WiFi connection. It's probably been said already, though.

And Koarin, that's most certainly a spinoff of a shiny Umbreon fused with Houndoom. It looks awesome, anyways.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I'm just thinking of getting into competitive Pokemon and I have a number of questions. I've been doing a lot of lurking and reading to try to find my answers but some things can be either confusing or contradictory, so I'll just ask to make it easier on my brain :).

1. I've been told that the standard practice is to use the Wi-Fi level 100 mode in battles (is this correct?). From what I've gathered this does take EV's into account, but does it also account for IV's?

2. Relating to question 1, when the Pokemon are adjusted to lv100 on Wi-Fi are stats determined by a specific equation or is there some randomness (ie: is it possible to be RNG screwed)?

3a. Once a pokemon has reached it's maximum EV's (508?), is it possible to change it's EV's or do I need to breed a new one?

3b. If it is possible, how would I go about changing EV's once they are already maxed?

4a. Is it possible to change IV's without breeding a new pokemon?

4b. How?

edit: I found the answers to my questions about IV's.

5. Is there a less stupidly tedious way of breeding? XD

6. Canada has been screwed out of every single event Pokemon ><. This is not a question >_>

7. Of the 'clauses' in the standard rules (No-item clause, Sleep clause, Freeze clause, etc.) which ones are commonly used or rather, 'standard'? Is this something that just varies by region (like ICG's in Smash) that I should just be checking specific tournament rulesets for?

I think that's all the questions I had, but probably not. There's a ton of information for a new player to take in for this game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm just thinking of getting into competitive Pokemon and I have a number of questions. I've been doing a lot of lurking and reading to try to find my answers but some things can be either confusing or contradictory, so I'll just ask to make it easier on my brain :).

1. I've been told that the standard practice is to use the Wi-Fi level 100 mode in battles (is this correct?). From what I've gathered this does take EV's into account, but does it also account for IV's?

2. Relating to question 1, when the Pokemon are adjusted to lv100 on Wi-Fi are stats determined by a specific equation or is there some randomness (ie: is it possible to be RNG screwed)?

3a. Once a pokemon has reached it's maximum EV's (508?), is it possible to change it's EV's or do I need to breed a new one?

3b. If it is possible, how would I go about changing EV's once they are already maxed?

4a. Is it possible to change IV's without breeding a new pokemon?

4b. How?

6. Canada has been screwed out of every single event Pokemon ><. This is not a question >_>

7. Of the 'clauses' in the standard rules (No-item clause, Sleep clause, Freeze clause, etc.) which ones are commonly used or rather, 'standard'? Is this something that just varies by region (like ICG's in Smash) that I should just be checking specific tournament rulesets for?

I think that's all the questions I had, but probably not. There's a ton of information for a new player to take in for this game.
There is no difference in changing their EV's if they are maxed or not, as long as the pokemon is not level 100...

WouW

Smash Lord
Yes to both questions.

The stats depend on your pokémon's IVs (which are mostly random) and EVs (which you do yourself). Unless you call having bad IVs 'RNG screwed' there's no RNG involved in that.

3a. Once a pokemon has reached it's maximum EV's (508?) 510 to be exact but it makes no difference, is it possible to change it's EV's or do I need to breed a new one?
The Pomeg, Kelpsy and a bunch of other berries can drop EVs (first to 100, then 10 each berry) and then you can re-EV train, unless your poké hits level 100 -at that level, no EVs can be gained.

You could always get an Action Replay and PokéSAV (and no, not to hack Wondertomb or all-999 stats ****)

Lol, even the Netherlands aren't.

Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, Timed Battle, Strict Damage, Species Clause, Soul Dew Clause, OHKO Clause and Evasion Clause are standard Shoddy clauses; dunno for DS, but it probably wouldn't be much different.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, Timed Battle, Strict Damage, Species Clause, Soul Dew Clause, OHKO Clause and Evasion Clause are standard Shoddy clauses; dunno for DS, but it probably wouldn't be much different.
Thanks, you're awesome :D

Though since you mentioned it, I don't actually know what "Strict Damage" clause is.

Another new question:
Is it really necessary to go through extensive IV breeding to get perfect IV's to be able to compete? Do most people who play in competitive have 31 IV's across the board or do they usually just have 31's in the stats that matter the most or do they even bother that much with them?

EV's - while tedious - I kinda like; they add an extra facet of customization to each of your pokemon. IV's on the other hand I'm convinced are the stupidest aspect of pokemon that has ever existed ><.... IV's are the one thing that could potentially hold me back from seriously getting into pokemon.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Thanks, you're awesome :D

Though since you mentioned it, I don't actually know what "Strict Damage" clause is.

I'm pretty sure it stops that "X move did 3242462% damage" and keeps it so the maximum it will show is "X move did 100% damage".

The use I think was to stop it from giving away what item your pokemon was holding (in case it was holding something like a choiced item).

Another new question:
Is it really necessary to go through extensive IV breeding to get perfect IV's to be able to compete? Do most people who play in competitive have 31 IV's across the board or do they usually just have 31's in the stats that matter the most or do they even bother that much with them?

EV's - while tedious - I kinda like; they add an extra facet of customization to each of your pokemon. IV's on the other hand I'm convinced are the stupidest aspect of pokemon that has ever existed ><.... IV's are the one thing that could potentially hold me back from seriously getting into pokemon.
Depends who you play. If your up against fellow players chances are the might not have IV breeded there pokemon or only did it to certain amount. However, if your playing a large scale tourney, I'm sure you'll se quite a few IV'ed pokemon.

Don't worry about it to much though. Just check your pokemon's IV's and then breed it a bit more until you get a higher, more suitable amount. You don't need 31 IV's on everything (which I think is next to impossible from what I've heard but I could be wrong).

-:bowser:Bowser King

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The use I think was to stop it from giving away what item your pokemon was holding (in case it was holding something like a choiced item).

Just check your pokemon's IV's and then breed it a bit more until you get a higher, more suitable amount. You don't need 31 IV's on everything (which I think is next to impossible from what I've heard but I could be wrong).]
Well, it stops you from giving away whether your have a Choice Band / Specs or Choice Scarf. Leftovers's healing is shown. Life Orb damage is shown. Expert Belt is rarely seen.

Platinum's RNG has been cracked, so if you trigger a battle at a certain time, the wild Pokemon is guaranteed to have the right IVs, ability, and nature.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I just really don't have the patience for IV breeding... especially when breeding alone doesn't even show me the IV's and I have to jump through hoops to find the exact IV's. Likewise, I don't have an endless supply of Rare Candies (or the patience to get them from battle island) to use to check the IV's.

I want to play competitively. I want to enjoy it. IV breeding is not something I will ever find enjoyable and will almost never find the time for anyway. :(

Please tell me I'm not the only one who absolutely despises the entire concept of IV's. XD

And just so there's a question here in this rant to make it a valid post for the Q&A thread :)...

Are Rain Dance teams still considered viable? Are they commonly used (I like using things that are uncommon :) )? I saw a post from Umbreon somewhere on here that mentioned RD teams' over-reliance on RD and lack of options if the opponent has a work-around. I think I came up with a team I really like though, and it just seems silly not to make use of RD when it benefits the team so well.

WouW

Smash Lord
I just really don't have the patience for IV breeding... especially when breeding alone doesn't even show me the IV's and I have to jump through hoops to find the exact IV's. Likewise, I don't have an endless supply of Rare Candies (or the patience to get them from battle island) to use to check the IV's.

I want to play competitively. I want to enjoy it. IV breeding is not something I will ever find enjoyable and will almost never find the time for anyway. :(

Please tell me I'm not the only one who absolutely despises the entire concept of IV's. XD

And just so there's a question here in this rant to make it a valid post for the Q&A thread :)...
Solution: Action Replay and PokéSAV? Or play your competitive Pokémon on Shoddy?

Are Rain Dance teams still considered viable? Are they commonly used (I like using things that are uncommon :) )? I saw a post from Umbreon somewhere on here that mentioned RD teams' over-reliance on RD and lack of options if the opponent has a work-around. I think I came up with a team I really like though, and it just seems silly not to make use of RD when it benefits the team so well.
Rain Dance teams are still used, but not commonly since Tyranitar and Hippowdon (and Abomasnow) can break your rain by switching in.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Does anyone have a Legendary that they'd trade for a Giratina. I'm looking for any of the Weather trio, any event one like Celebi, Jirachi or Mew, Regigigas, Lati@s, Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, or Manaphy. They're the only Legendaries, except Arceus lol, that I'm missing. Also, I don't need Kyogre due to Heart Gold. I'll even throw in a free Iron Ball XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom