• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
What about Ghost/Fighting? Unresisted combination.

...What if Flygon got Tinted Lens? It certainly has the eyes for it. Imagine an unresisted Outrage flying everywhere.

God, how broken would that get?

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Psychic's still super effective.
No, he meant that no type combo resists both types together (except for the theoretical Ghost/Normal, but no Pokemon exists with such a type right now).

PowerBomb, giving any Dragon type with a powerful STAB move Tinted Lens would be just insane.

JOE!

Smash Hero
not talking about defenses here.

the difference between dragon/fight and ghost/fight's offensive power is their "counters"

Ghost/Fight essentially is walled by a normal/ghost, as it cannot really hit the thing.

Dragon/Fight is only resited by steel/ghost. Now that should by itself make it better than g/f as it can beat it's "counter", but being part dragon also means it could have access to famethrower...making it able to roast it's competition, and have essentially no counters.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I know you were talking about offence, JOE!. Just correcting Mic's mistake.

What gets me there is that you assume that Ghost/Fighting type will have no access to moves than can hit it, as well as Dragon/Fighting's ability to learn Flamethrower. Mind you, just having a decent move to hit your biggest rival with doesn't make it that that counter doesn't work any more. The fact that Fire and Ground is walled by loads of common Pokemon like Heatran and Bronzong makes it worse.

You don't take into account stats either. If that Ghost/Fighting Pokemon learns (say) Shadow Ball and has plenty of Sp. Atk. to spare and the Normal/Ghost type doesn't have great defences, it's still going to do loads of damage and can allow it to beat its counter anyway.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
not talking about defenses here.

the difference between dragon/fight and ghost/fight's offensive power is their "counters"

Ghost/Fight essentially is walled by a normal/ghost, as it cannot really hit the thing.

Dragon/Fight is only resited by steel/ghost. Now that should by itself make it better than g/f as it can beat it's "counter", but being part dragon also means it could have access to famethrower...making it able to roast it's competition, and have essentially no counters.
Can't hit it with STAB attacks. But it can still set up, and can also hit with nonSTAB attacks.

JOE!

Smash Hero
exactly, but being dragon means it will probably have a versatile movepool, and great stats.

that and the fact that it would probably have an easier time vs it's 1 counter than g/f over it's counter make sit the better offensive combo IMO

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
exactly, but being dragon means it will probably have a versatile movepool, and great stats.

that and the fact that it would probably have an easier time vs it's 1 counter than g/f over it's counter make sit the better offensive combo IMO
Ohhhh, I see what you're saying now. haha.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
exactly, but being dragon means it will probably have... great stats.
Hardly fair. Let's assume they have the same stats totals and distributions for now, becausewe're only talking about typing.

A counter doesn't necessarily have to resist both STABs. We consider Tyranitar a counter to the former OU Latias, don't we? Yet Tyranitar is neutral to Dragon and could be hit by a Surf or Grass Knot, both supereffectively. Blissry is a counter to just about every special attacker in OU and Ubers bar Choice Specs Kyogre, entirely due to her stats.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
The other thing to remember (which JOE! mentioned) is that whereas both STABs of Ghost/Fight are COMPLETELY walled by its counter (i.e. assuming the Pokemon has STAB/STAB/non-offensive move/non-offensive move), Dragon/Fight can at the very least hit it's counter for some damage (even if resisted).

So in a situation where it's Ghost/Fight and Dragon/Fight versus their respective type counters as the last Pokemon on both players teams, assuming STAB/STAB/useless move/useless move on both, Dragon/Fight will at least be able to put up a fight, and if their last Pokemon is weakened, maybe even win.

Dragon/Fight is simply a strictly better offensive typing than Ghost/Fight, even ignoring movepool, stats, and relative metagame (in which case Dragon/Fight would LIKELY be even better).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Good dragon Move/Close Combat/Fire Blast/X

Dragon/Fight is scary lol

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Or an all special [Meteor/Pulse]/Aura Sphere/Fire Blast/Tbolt set.

JOE!

Smash Hero
the great thing is that Dragon/Fight is likley to happen based on the multitude of concepts alone relating to stuff like crouching tiger hidden dragon, etc :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
I swear, when we have more than 25 ghost types(seven more. I'll compromise with six.), it'll be my new favorite type. Duskull is just win.

But if there is a ghost fighting type, that would make my pokemon experience. Partially.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Fighting/ghost, ghost/steel, and fighting/dragon all sound beastly and awesome. But they'd probably be given low stats to compensate...

Not that I care. :bee:

JOE!

Smash Hero
maybe, maybe not....

a fight/dragon WILL be epic on the dragon/ part alone the way nearly all dragons have had their stats...

T-block

B2B TST
New type combos seem almost guaranteed to me... It's an easy way to be creative without too much effort, and I'm looking forward to seeing what we get.

Pete278

Smash Lord
Its really subjective whether or not a pokemon gets 'ruined' with a new evolution. Most of the time, I'd have to say its just nostalgia telling people it got ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom