• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Dude I need to voice my excitement. This game has me more hyped than R/S/E back in '02. It will actually make me feel like I'm in a Pokemon World, especially with the Battle Changes. I think I'm gonna be wearing alot more Pokemon Apparel in Junior Year.

BTW, doesn't Zoruark's sprite look a little awkward?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Hardly impressed. Animated sprites? Pfft, If Pokemon Stadium 2, a 64MB game, could use 3D models there is no excuse to STILL stick to sprites when the DS cartridge has a lot more space. Heck, Dragon Quest MJ did it. And they're still using 2D sprites on a '3D' plane in the open world. It looks lazy and honestly is below standards of your average DS game. All in all, it's pretty shoddy so far.

BBQTV

Smash Master
Hardly impressed. Animated sprites? Pfft, If Pokemon Stadium 2, a 64MB game, could use 3D models there is no excuse to STILL stick to sprites when the DS cartridge has a lot more space. Heck, Dragon Quest MJ did it. And they're still using 2D sprites on a '3D' plane in the open world. It looks lazy and honestly is below standards of your average DS game. All in all, it's pretty shoddy so far.
lol, this guy

M.K

Level 55
Urgh.

I'm absolutely loving the animations, but the sprites themselves are sort of...bleh. Pokabu looks like a dot on a tissue you used to clean a nosebleed. This is solely from screenshot, and I know that screenshotting from a n animation WILL be inherently blurry because of the motion, but I hope they add some like....outline.
The sprites look TINY.
However:
City is sexy.
Bridge is sexy.
Overcrowding Industrial Urbanization is sexy.
Zoroark is sexy.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Pokemon Stadium was just battling though (for the most part). The actual games have to cram in a huge amount of things unlike PS2. Pokemon HG/SS is 40 MB and with full 3D models the game would likely go far beyond that amount. Pokemon B/W will likely go even higher then 40 MB considering each pokemon game has increased the file size from the past game. Plus, on top of that, the amount of pokemon will likely exceed 600 pokemon. That's a huge amount of space for just 3D models. Plus, making 3D models for all these pokemon would take a huge amount of time and I would rather that they spend this time on making the game better.

The DS also makes very bad 3D models. Their are a few exceptions but for most games that involve a lot of different animals (DQ: Joker and Spectrobes) the models usually end up looking terrible because of too much detail (Spectrobes) or are just dull and don't require much detail (DQ: Joker). I would rather have a bunch of really good looking sprites then a whole bunch of terrible 3D models with a couple good ones (the good ones would likely be the 1st-2nd gen pokemon since a lot of them don't have much details).

UberMario

Smash Master
I'd think due to amount of polygons in use with the cities and bridges and stuff that it would be pushing the game a little hard to have 8-20+ people on the screen in 3D also without making them really blocky. (Blocky as in Mario's fist is a skinned pyramid in MKDS blocky). It's also quicker to make the sprites than the models, and honestly I'd rather have animated sprites than N64/PS1 quality models.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I don't believe that Chis is aware of how much work goes into animated sprites. Its fairly easy to make a 3D model, at least at the quality they would need for the game, and its even easier to make a 3D animation. More time went into the animations of Blazblue than what went into that of SSF4, I can assure you. You can't really claim that 2D is lazy.

Mewter

Smash Master
Haha, Chis is a good troll.

Hopefully they got rid of Pokemon contests and kept the Pokeathlon this time around.
Did anyone even play the Pokemon contests?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'd honestly prefer animated sprites over 3D models right now. It feels like the right move for Pokemon with 5th Gen. Come 6th Gen, maybe it'll move completely 3D with the 3DS, but animated sprites is the proper transition.

I think 5th Gen may be the best generation of Pokemon to date, honestly. 4th Gen will be forgotten.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Just had a breif thought.
We're all confused by the small sprites, at least a bit, BUT, honestly, aren't these sprites finally the proper size? Consider that this set of sprites sets out to create the pokemon in their actual size proportions in relation to other pokemon, at least better than previous generations, where Wigglytuff is as tall as Rayquaza. If we can get a bigger visual grap between large and small this gen, small being smaller, big being bigger, then I'd be incredibly pleased with that aesthetic decision.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Did anyone even play the Pokemon contests?
I did, before they ruined them.

Once they added the pointless and tedious dress-up and dance sections I got bored of them.

If I wanted to play dress-up, I'd play with Barbie dolls, and if I wanted to play a rhythm game, I'd play Elite Beat Agents.

I'm also with Spire. I've always loved sprites, and animated sprites were definitely the right move for this generation at least -- the 3D that the DS can render is going to look no better than N64 quality, while the animated sprites are going to look great, especially compared to the dry battles we've had thus far.

The DS may be able to handle 3D, but just because it CAN handle it doesn't mean it has to, or they aren't trying.

I'm having trouble thinking of anything bad about fifth gen at the moment. So far, it looks like Game Freak really got the message of disappointment from last gen.

Just had a breif thought.
We're all confused by the small sprites, at least a bit, BUT, honestly, aren't these sprites finally the proper size? Consider that this set of sprites sets out to create the pokemon in their actual size proportions in relation to other pokemon, at least better than previous generations, where Wigglytuff is as tall as Rayquaza. If we can get a bigger visual grap between large and small this gen, small being smaller, big being bigger, then I'd be incredibly pleased with that aesthetic decision.
You have a great point. Small sprites aren't necessarily BAD, and in fact, they could be good -- proportional sprites would be pretty nice to have.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Pokemon Contests were crappy

I never liked them at all.

I hated that you never got any rewards for them except ribbons, which no one really cares about except if its from an event.

At least in the Pokeathlon, you got a reward: points. You could use those points to get stones and other useful items in game. You know how useful they were to me. At last I could get more than a certain amount of stones per game. For example, in D/P you got about 2 shiny stones and that's it, but in HGSS you could get as many stones as you want, as long as its in a certain day of course

UberMario

Smash Master
I never really liked the Pokemon Contests in-game either. It felt too random (lvl3 Zigzagoon with Sand Attack beats lvl30 Linoone with Cut and Headbutt in coolness. WTH?) and the feeding and block/poffin making was tedious. The anime contests >>>>>>>> the game contests. I just have no idea how they'd do it anime-style in-game though. >_>;

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I'd love to do it anime style, at least it has cool combinations that you could invent, but game ones? Nuh uh.

It would be impossible to make it like that in the game though, so for the moment, I hate them.

I'd be satisfied if they added a points system like HGSS though.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I liked the contests in 3rd gen, it was nice to have something besides battling that involved moves and such. Also mixing pokeblocks with the berry master was awesome.

If only the Pokeatholon and the 3rd gen contests existed in one game, then i'd be happy

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
It was cool that you were guaranteed (kinda) a lot of stars by the judge if you were in a certain position with the right attacks.

Now it's hard to predict what moves the pokemon will perform for which judge, which makes it even harder to get those bonus stars

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You know even though I hated Wotter at first, he's grown on me you know?

I think I actually like him along with Pokabu and Tsutaaja now

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
On the contrary he's the only Pokemon released so far that's even mildly interesting

Then again I find that Sea Otters are the **** and pigs and snakes have been done before
I'll give you that pigs have been done before (granted, only once), but if Smugleaf weren't the "Grass Snake" Pokémon he would seem like an indeterminate creature at the moment. Far from "done before".

I also just remembered my original start at my own Pokémon game with new Pokémon, moves, etc., where the grass starter was a snake (eventually evolving to become a grass/dragon). Interesting. Though, I made that right before/after third gen (can't remember which), so it would've been 4th gen, not 5th, but I still find it intriguing.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Actually if it didn't say that Smugleaf wasn't the Snake Pokemon, it would look more like a lizard to me due to the fact that it has feet, which I still can't comprehend because it's supposed to be a Snake Pokemon

rockem7

Smash Ace
So I'm guessing from the screenshots there's no more partner pokemon? I really wish that would stick, instead of only bringing it around once in a while. It almost makes running worth it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
..."Wotter", the only interesting one? Uhhm... I'll go ahead and say no.

Zorua and Zoroark are foxes. That was done one time, but completely differently.

Snakes have been done twice, pretty differently.

Pigs have been done twice. But both in TOTALLY 100% different ways.

I have no idea how someone can blow off five awesome things for an albino otter with an orange clown nose and freckles.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I have no idea how someone can blow off five awesome things for an albino otter with an orange clown nose and freckles.
Because they're lame and not awesome

Smugleaf is just barely, and I mean BARELY a step up from being as lame as Treecko
Baycon is probably going to end up being Mamoswine with just fire
Zoroark and Zoura are going to be the next Lucario and Riolu (and they're kitsune, exactly the same design for Ninetails is just with more zazz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom