• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black and White (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
...****

I thought the mini map was on the link above, not in the homepage....

yeah sorry bout that

Now that I look at that map, it seems a bit too iffy to me. It seems a bit too realistic for my tastes. I DO hope those arrows on the bottom mean something though.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I like how there are some many places to go, this is defiantly going to be a very fulfilling game with good replay value.

M.K

Level 55
Just look at the "realistic" Sinnoh Map here:

You guys notice how you can barely see Canalave, or even Snowpoint, or nearly any of the landmarks, cities, or routes to the east of Mt. Coronet?
There's something to be said for clouds; they cover **** up. I wouldn't look at the map and think anything of it's size, availability, or content based on what you can see.
The Sinnoh pre-release map looked like the above^^ and people definitely complained about it, so I think it's a good possibility that the map isn't the greatest definition of the region.
:)

M.K

Level 55
So, you don't see the clouds covering the entirety of the right side beyond Mt. Coronet, the fact that you can't see a town in the Snowpoint area, the fact that Canalave is almost completely covered up, you don't see Iron Island, no Bike Route, the Cresselia/Darkrai islands, the islands in the center of the lakes, Sunyshore City, the Pokemon League, or the Battle Island? But you can see all that stuff in the other map, surely?

There's a difference.

EDIT:

Also refer to this map:

See the black circle? The player is the black smiley face (the figure is one of the players using the "Pass By" feature of the C-Gear) and it is not on a route. Even if you're surfing, how do you get there unless the routes aren't as strictly point A --> Point B as they have been in previous games? Or maybe the yellow lines aren't route markers - although I don't see what else they could be, I can't deny it's a possibility.

We shouldn't dismiss this region until we know the true extent of it's possibilities.

UberMario

Smash Master
I was referring to the fact that I see no significant difference between pre-release Sinnoh and the "official" Sinnoh.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice

See the black circle? The player is the black smiley face (the figure is one of the players using the "Pass By" feature of the C-Gear) and it is not on a route. Even if you're surfing, how do you get there unless the routes aren't as strictly point A --> Point B as they have been in previous games? Or maybe the yellow lines aren't route markers - although I don't see what else they could be, I can't deny it's a possibility.
Those green dots aren't on routes. Perhaps we can walk EVERYWHERE on the map, kinda like in the zelda games, namely ALttP for this matter. It'd be nice not to have gaint trees giving you some dumb straight line you must walk in. The routes could be more of guidelines. Gee, at least i hope.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Just look at the "realistic" Sinnoh Map here:

You guys notice how you can barely see Canalave, or even Snowpoint, or nearly any of the landmarks, cities, or routes to the east of Mt. Coronet?
There's something to be said for clouds; they cover **** up. I wouldn't look at the map and think anything of it's size, availability, or content based on what you can see.
The Sinnoh pre-release map looked like the above^^ and people definitely complained about it, so I think it's a good possibility that the map isn't the greatest definition of the region.
:)
What I'm saying is that Sinnoh's in game map looked a lot more.... I dunno. Something you'd find in a pokemon game

I wasn't talking about the artistic map that I'm ok with, but I'm talking about the **** in game map

M.K

Level 55

Those green dots aren't on routes. Perhaps we can walk EVERYWHERE on the map, kinda like in the zelda games, namely ALttP for this matter. It'd be nice not to have gaint trees giving you some dumb straight line you must walk in. The routes could be more of guidelines. Gee, at least i hope.
Agreed, it'd be really awesome to have more freedom.
Since it seems like the whole desert is explorable....opens a world of possibilities.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Where that region is in correlation to the real world is all I want to know. I couldn't care less how artistic it is or what its pre-release picture is going to look like.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Where that region is in correlation to the real world is all I want to know. I couldn't care less how artistic it is or what its pre-release picture is going to look like.
You mean in relation to Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh? Does that matter? Or am I missing something about inter-region travel?

Or Serebii's Pokearth is just cool.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
Wow, ok. Stupid^2.

I've heard tens of millions of points about Shanghai and none about Hong Kong, so i just figured they were using a different name than wave was. Oops.

OK, let's go out on a branch and ask for all location theories by our lovely PokeCenter users to please apear in this thread. This could turn into a very intellectual topic or some intense flame wars (bulbagarden banned it's disscussion as of now), so please keep civil.

From what i've read, Manhattan sounds more accurate to me. Then again, part of me just wants a Pokemon region close to home. Closer than Orre-zona was. I have nothing new to present to the table besides what has been stated on other sites, but i may as well post this:

*from bulbagarden. I can't name the user because google didn't say xD

EDIT: And the firelord realizes the map he has found seems to credit part of Isshu to NJ. He quickly crawls back into the lurk hole for another 100 years (er, 10 minutes max).

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
This game looks so good. It's a shame we're going to have to wait so long to get it or play a Japanese ROM. :/

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Speaking of which how many of you guys plan on playing the Japanese rom? I've heard some people say they preordered it so they probably wouldn't want to play a rom early?

Personally I'm going to buy it with its official release and hope it's as good as it looks so far.

M.K

Level 55
The sheer frustration that I'll experience trying to decipher that language will pretty much ruin the hype, so I never play the ROMs....=/

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The sheer frustration that I'll experience trying to decipher that language will pretty much ruin the hype, so I never play the ROMs....=/
See, though all I know of Japanese right now is (are?) hiragana and katakana; however, that's a fair bit of what's in the game. Plus I have several resources for Japanese and I want to learn the language, so... I'll be importing it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
:/

I tried to do that with HGSS when it came out in Japan after installing the patch to get the black screen off (that was back when we still didn't have an english patch though) and I gave up on it.

I knew **** about what they were talking about. Same with Black. And I preordered it anyways so... yeah...

Sucks how the Japanese always seem to get the good games first though :/

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
IT'S COMING OUT IN APRIL?

How the **** does translating a game into English take 8 months to do? It's not like there's THAT MUCH text in the game or anything.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I don't know if it will be April, but D/P and HG/SS both came out in April, so I would assume the trend would continue, but I can be mistaken, spring can mean anywhere from March to June.

UberMario

Smash Master
I just do not get why the localization of a pokemon game takes from September to April
They DO have to translate every single line in the game to English, then have to get people to proofread it. Ironically, the extremely popular term "It's Super Effective" is actually an oversight by said proofreaders. RPGs always take the longest to translate because they involve the most text, whereas things like racing games and platforms tend to take the least.

D

Deleted member

Didn't HG/SS come out in March? I remember still hyping over FFXIII at the time.

I'd say it was out around the 20th.

Wrath`

Smash Master
They DO have to translate every single line in the game to English, then have to get people to proofread it. Ironically, the extremely popular term "It's Super Effective" is actually an oversight by said proofreaders. RPGs always take the longest to translate because they involve the most text, whereas things like racing games and platforms tend to take the least.
All items will translate the same, all moves will translate the same(aside from new items/moves). I still do not see how it takes 8 months to translate one game, I used to be able to translate one Latin paragraph of 6-8 lines in 5 minutes. So I do not see how probably a crew of 10-15 working for money on translating(even with proofing) would need 8 months.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Sucks how the Japanese always seem to get the good games first though :/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid:_Other_M

The Japanese get it two days after the NA release. =P

...But yeah, most of the time they get the good games first, and it does suck to have to wait.

Didn't HG/SS come out in March? I remember still hyping over FFXIII at the time.

I'd say it was out around the 20th.
I believe they came out on March 14th. But Diamond and Pearl came out on April 22nd, so it's a toss-up as to where it could wind up.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Cut these guys some slack, Wrath`. Every single line need to be translated, every heading or signs and whatever, menus, inventories, shops, everything. Bragging about be able to translate quickly isn't going to really help. Especially since English is so backwards to languages like Japanese and Chinese.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
To be fair they could do a worldwide release with these games. People seem to think that they wait until it's out in Japan before they start translating it when they could actually start translating it in the beta stages.

I'm not shocked about the release date though, I've known about since they released it a month or 2 back, and it's about the normal time between Japanese Pokemon games and English ones.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Cut these guys some slack, Wrath`. Every single line need to be translated, every heading or signs and whatever, menus, inventories, shops, everything. Bragging about be able to translate quickly isn't going to really help. Especially since English is so backwards to languages like Japanese and Chinese.
Latin is grammatically irregular also, probably not as hard as Japanese, but if you are getting paid and there are 10 of you, I do not see how you would need 8 months. If you are strictly a translator, you should be able to look at a sentence and know what it means in English and write it down to be programed in. I could see if they were not getting paid, but they are.

I think there has to be more than just localization within those 8 months.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
They do still have to change any jokes or cultural references so as not to confuse someone with a reference to something in Japanese culture, but yeah, I'd have to agree, there's definitely something more to it than that. I mean, why does it take Australia so long to get all of these games?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542

You just called English "backwards" to Chinese and Japanese when those two languages are, arguably, the equivalent of orthographic hell? Every language has considerably quirks and nuances; no language is more "backward" than another (though some certainly have more problems in certain areas than others).

At any rate, it does seem a bit odd for it to take over 6 months to get a game localized and released, especially when 1. they're working on it before it comes out in Japan and 2. there are multiple people working on it.

Cultural differences are probably the biggest problem.

UberMario

Smash Master
Chinese and Japanese are not the only languages that read to the left. If I remember correctly langauges as far west as Israel "still" use scripts that read right-to-left. Also I think Chinese use a writing format that is pretty good (unless for a computer keyboard/typewriter) the sun, sunrise, sunset, unbrella, and tree "letters" resemble the objects they describe, though it must be a nightmare for them to use a computer to chat with . . . . . Japanese is pretty straightforward aswell, though I feel a lot of the letters look too similar to each other.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
That's not what I was referring to, lol. More specifically, the writing system and their characters. Seems a bit of a hassle to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom