• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 Thread

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Update, got me a Starmie for a Surf slave.
Wait, didn't I used to hate these things?
Oh well, all the other surf slaves suck. Plus I needed another special oriented member.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I haven't had a surf slave in some time because I usually have a pokemon that surf is a good move for them to have

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Update, got me a Starmie for a Surf slave.
Wait, didn't I used to hate these things?
Oh well, all the other surf slaves suck. Plus I needed another special oriented member.
Haha, the Starmie/:mad: war. Good times.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah but he has to be lv64 XD. I was wondering if you guys poke gen post elite4? Me, my friend, and my girlfriend are doing post elite four theme teams with that and some breeding. I also might use this darkrai I SRed 3 times for fun. Naive with 30/1/14/31/19/31 XD

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've recently got hold of White Version 2 myself, but so far I've only taken care of one gym.

I've also taken the luxury of getting Genesect, though I don't officially have it in my party yet; because I'm not very far into the game, the last thing I want is to have a Genesect with a lousy nature and bad IVs for its vital stats.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kept reseting until I got a Genesect I thought was good. Although I didn't really care about getting the best Genesect I could get.

I don't use him, though. because while Bug pokemon are one of my favorite types, I don't like using pokemon that don't evolve.

Unless I can physically see the pokemon getting stronger, it doesn't feel to me like the pokemon is getting stronger

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My main concern is if the shortcut for resetting the game is still usable; it beats having to constantly turn off your DS or 3DS system. Getting a Modest or Timid Genesect is my main consideration, but because the breeding center isn't usable until after the main game is cleared, you won't be able to properly keep track of Genesect's IVs without any Rare Candys.

Basically, while I can get Genesect at any time now, because it can't breed, I'd rather wait until I can properly raise one before receiving the gift.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My main concern is if the shortcut for resetting the game is still usable; it beats having to constantly turn off your DS or 3DS system.
Why would you need to constantly turn the system on and off? Isn't there a soft reset by pressing L + R + Start + Select? That seems to be a tradition for all main series Pokémon games, unless I'm missing something here and GameFreak decided to change the formula for no reason.

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why would you need to constantly turn the system on and off? Isn't there a soft reset by pressing L + R + Start + Select? That seems to be a tradition for all main series Pokémon games, unless I'm missing something here and GameFreak decided to change the formula for no reason.

You'd think that that would be mentioned on the instruction booklet, but I didn't see that information anywhere.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion

It is L+R+Start+Select in B2/W2.

Though it used to be A+B+Start+Select in RBY (I think Gen II as well), didn't it?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
the LRStartSelect method was introduced for the DS games if I remember right, even though the GBA had shoulder buttons.

Anyway I'm only at Mistralton right now. I was able to get a Tirtouga off of the GTS so that's cool.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
the LRStartSelect method was introduced for the DS games if I remember right, even though the GBA had shoulder buttons.
It definitely existed before the DS, and I'm pretty sure it exists for both GB and GBA. It's just a different button combination...A+B+Select+Start on both of them, maybe? If I weren't so lazy I'd go and check right now.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
That's what I meant, it was ABStartSelect before the DS but then it switched to the new one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm stuck in 1 town trying to get a pokemon with the right personality.

Than I got it, and he had a sucky ability.

Wish I had an everstone...

Edit: I decided to settle for a different personality, but better ability. The personality this one has is recommended anyway. I just like the other one better

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know what you mean there. The Drilbur that I caught had Sand Force, instead of Sand Rush. Sand Rush is obviously better for Excadrill, since with that ability, it's a major beast in a large number of Sandstorm teams.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You know what I really like in this game? Three words: Pokémon World Tournament. Fast way to get BP and who doesn't get that nostalgia vibe by fighting against previous Gym Leaders, with mostly Pokémon from their region in their teams?

Of course, I'm very happy with the Move Tutors too, especially for moves like Drain Punch, Giga Drain, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse and elemental punches. Skill Swap and Stealth Rock are also useful.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know what I really like in this game? Three words: Pokémon World Tournament. Fast way to get BP and who doesn't get that nostalgia vibe by fighting against previous Gym Leaders, with mostly Pokémon from their region in their teams?

Of course, I'm very happy with the Move Tutors too, especially for moves like Drain Punch, Giga Drain, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse and elemental punches. Skill Swap and Stealth Rock are also useful.
With the Move Tutors, players can now legally own a Hydreigon that has Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, AND Earth Power, which is not possible to get in the Black and White versions.

And since Outrage is a tutored move as well, Pokemon like Haxorus can learn the move much sooner than normal.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
With the Move Tutors, players can now legally own a Hydreigon that has Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, AND Earth Power, which is not possible to get in the Black and White versions.

And since Outrage is a tutored move as well, Pokemon like Haxorus can learn the move much sooner than normal.
since Hydreigon is more special oriented, these tutors really benefit him. Earth Power also benefits Ground types with more Special Attack than physical Attack, like Claydol and Stunfisk.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion

Isn't in the slowest way? So far as I've seen, you fight 3 trainers and get 1 BP. That vs 7 trainers and 3 BP. Is there perhaps another way to fight in the PWT?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I think using Earth Power on Hydreigon is kind of pointless most of the time due to Fire Blast hitting more Steel types harder. Only use Earth Power if you really hate Heatran (to a lesser extent Probopass too).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have bad experiences with Fire Blast constantly missing, at least in previous generations.

With Charizard in red/blue especially.

...I've had more luck with Hydreigon so far in this gen, but having it miss so much back in the day made me very wary of the move since

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Isn't in the slowest way? So far as I've seen, you fight 3 trainers and get 1 BP. That vs 7 trainers and 3 BP. Is there perhaps another way to fight in the PWT?
I have once fought the PWT and got 5 BP! it depends on how many of your Pokémon not faint in the battle.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
my Chandelure using Fire Blast is completely destructive. I use Wide Lens and it works quite nicely.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
85 Acc isn't that bad.
It doesn't sound bad, I just have bad experiences with it. Missing when I needed to hit

Why I use Thunderbolt/ Flamethrower/ Ice Beam most of the time instead of Blizzard/ Fire Blast/ Thunder

For some reason I was under the impression those moves had the same accuracy as well. Strange, they never did

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just finished off the Team Plasma stuff for the game. Beat Black Kyurem in one turn using a stab, Fighting Gem boosted, Aura Sphere. lol

With the main story for both BW/BW2 done for me now, in hindsight I'm really impressed at how far the series has come in terms of story (I'll save gameplay opinions for later). Just like last Gen when they finally gave us a God Pokemon, I'm going to be wondering yet again just how Game Freak plans to top themselves yet again (hopefully after they make a sequel to Pulseman). :bee:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
since Hydreigon is more special oriented, these tutors really benefit him. Earth Power also benefits Ground types with more Special Attack than physical Attack, like Claydol and Stunfisk.
In terms of Claydol, it can also Power Trick itself so that it'll have a 105 base Attack, which can make Earthquake more powerful. Of course, combining Cosmic Power with Power Trick can help even more.

On the flipside though, Claydol would end up with a base 70 Defense after using Power Trick, which is a flaw that a Calm Mind moveset can easily avoid.

Personally I think using Earth Power on Hydreigon is kind of pointless most of the time due to Fire Blast hitting more Steel types harder. Only use Earth Power if you really hate Heatran (to a lesser extent Probopass too).
You could always have both Fire Blast and Earth Power if needed, though if you're so concerned about accuracy, Flamethrower is a good alternative.

85 Acc isn't that bad.
Maybe not, but losing a match, due to a missed attack, is always a major letdown; even a 95% accurate attack may miss, but much less often. The 100% accurate attacks tend to only miss if any evasion and/or accuracy modifiers are in place. Fortunately, Hone Claws can help make moves like Rock Slide hit their mark much more often.

Anyway, the accuracy situation is one of the reasons why I often go with Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam, over their stronger, but less accurate counterparts; I can always utilize Choice Specs or Life Orb to make them pack a bigger punch. Of course, I will use Thunder and Blizzard with the proper weather support; Rain Dance for Thunder; Hail for Blizzard.

For some Pokemon though, I may have to take the accuracy reduction, such as with Heracross, where it pretty much has to stick with Megahorn, as it can't learn X-Scissor.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This may sound stupid, but...

I had an idea for a competitive pokemon battle type

One of the balancing factors in the game is EXP, so what if there was a game type where each pokemon has a number of EXP instead of being a specific level?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just beat the main game. Kinda disappointed at how easy the Elite 4 and Champion were, I swept 2 of them alone with Nasty Plot Zoroark, and an unboosted Volcanora. :p

Still over, great game I definitely recommend it if you don't already own it. Can't wait to see how Game Freak will top this Gen.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still on Elesa

I have a very strict thing I do in every pokemon game. I don't beat any gym until all my pokemon are at a specific level before it.

I also never go past the first town until I'm higher than level 10. That is for ALL RPG's though, not just pokemon

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
This may sound stupid, but...

I had an idea for a competitive pokemon battle type

One of the balancing factors in the game is EXP, so what if there was a game type where each pokemon has a number of EXP instead of being a specific level?
I don't get it. Exp (assuming you mean experience) already directly affects level, how does this change things?

Top Bottom