• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Ancestral Tree

Spire

III
BRoomer
I tried doing this ages ago, but successfully failed at finishing it (oxy-moron much?). Let's compile a diagram of Pokémon species in a family tree manner. The first tier would consist of the obvious God/origin Pokémon:

Arceus // Mew
Dialga, Palkia, Giratina // Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie // Ho-oh // Lugia // Celebi // Jirachi // Manaphy // Darkrai // Cresselia // Shaymin
Raikou, Suicune, Entei // Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres // Latias, Latios (?)
---
[Omastar // Kabutops // Aerodactyl // Cradily // Armaldo // Relicanth // Rampardos // Bastiodon]
Tentacruel, Cloyster, Clamperl // Kingler, Crawdaunt // Charizard, Dragonite, Salamence // Tangrowth // Yanmega // Gyarados, Milotic, Kingdra // Tyranitar // Rhydon, Aggron

Mewtwo // Porygon // Unown // Regis // Grimer // Koffing // Magnemite // Voltorb // Rotom // Clefairy // Solrock, Lunatone // Deoxys​
Note 1: The fossil tier is where the true genetic tree should branch from - where most Pokémon species are going to stem from. The Legendary tiers before them are there simply because those Pokémon are, well, legends with origins tied directly to other legendary Pokémon. The genetic chain of Pokémon stem with Mew>fossils>all else.

Note 2: The bottom tier consists of Pokémon created by man, those that stem from man-made creations, of truly unknown origin, or from outer space. In other words: Pokémon who do not derive genetically from other species.

Note 3: I believe that all Ghost Pokémon derive from Giratina since it is the closest species to the origins of all Pokémon that is Ghost type. This is a touchy subject seeing as how ghosts are generally seen as post-dead beings. In the Pokémon world, "ghost" seems to be a state of being where one is not completely ethereal and is in some way tied to darkness (being what Giratina governs), which may also relate Ghost Pokémon to Darkrai, who I've yet to give a position in this chain.

CANINE

FELINE

PRIMATE

HUMANOID

RODENT

BEAR

UNGULATE

SEA MAMMAL

MARSUPIAL

WEASELS, ETC

CATDOG/OTHER

BIRDS

GROUNDED/AQUATIC BIRDS

LIZARDS

SHELLED REPTILES

SNAKES

DRAGONS

FISH

BIG FISH

AMPHIBIANS

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oooh, this could be fun. Organizing it in vB will be a pain though. Perhaps use Google Docs spreadsheets instead, giving editing access to certain people?

Mewtwo should probably be connected to Mew, though not in the same sense that Ho-oh and Entei are connected.

Ghost types are indeed an awkward subject, I think it'd be best to concentrate on more obvious links first.

Aerodactyl should probably lead to Charizard, Dragonite, and Salamence (flying Pokemon). Garchomp should be somewhere between Relicanth, Omanyte, and Kabutops (land shark). Sceptile goes under Cradily?

Fully evolved Pokemon only? For less clutter.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, I've connected Mewtwo to Mew simply by the name coloring. Eventually, I'll make a graphic diagram in Photoshop with sprites and such.

But yes, Garchomp is a shark, so it should definitely derive from the likes of Relicanth. All Grass Pokemon will most likely derive from Cradily; all bugs from Armaldo/Kabutops, and all crustaceans from Omastar/Kabutops. Rhydon and Aggron most likely stem from Rampardos and Bastiodon.

And yes, I will use only the final stages in the family to keep the clutter down. Thanks for the input!

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Hmmm... Well, I think it's a possibility that Scyther is descendant to the Kabuto family, given the scythe-like claws and fast speed (as well as the pointy heads, lol) that both Scyther and Kabutops have in common.

( Yeah, this is the only connection I can think of for now... :( )

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
All Grass Pokemon will most likely derive from Cradily.
What about Celebi?

Bulbapedia said:
Celebi has the power to travel through time. Celebi can restore plants to perfect health (an ability that is also accredited to Meganium).
So, Celebi controls / can control time and nature.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, it seems like most of the legendaries (Mewtwo and Regis excluded) stem from Arceus while the rest of the Pokemon come from Mew.

I need to add Jirachi and Shaymin.

Heatran is a weird one because its more so a really rare Pokemon than a legendary. It could easily be related to such Pokemon as Torkoal.

Mewter

Smash Master
Heatran was created from the volcano, right?
Maybe that, a really weird descendant of Torkoal, or an even weirder descendant of Groudon.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh man, I completely forgot about Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. What was I thinking?

Upon studying the parallels in Pokemon species (particularly between 1st and 3rd gen), I realized that Torkoal is Lapras' successor. They are both shelled reptiles; one water, the other fire. Other parallels are:
Krabby, Kingler = Corphish, Crawdaunt
Drozee, Hypno = Spoink, Grumpig
Ekans, Arbok = Seviper
Sandshrew, Sandslash = Zangoose

And there are many, many more.

I think we definitely need to focus on what Pokemon would first descend from the fossil Pokemon. Lapras is definitely one. Keep in mind that they would all be either reptiles, fish, or early insects.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
By that logic, then Tangroth should be one of the first from Cradily and Mamoswine from Bastiodon(?).

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I tried doing this ages ago, but successfully failed at finishing it (oxy-moron much?). Let's compile a diagram of Pokémon species in a family tree manner. The first tier would consist of the obvious God/origin Pokémon:

Note 1: The fossil tier is where the true genetic tree should branch from - where most Pokémon species are going to stem from. The Legendary tiers before them are there simply because those Pokémon are, well, legends with origins tied directly to other legendary Pokémon. The genetic chain of Pokémon stem with Mew>fossils>all else.

Note 2: The bottom tier consists of Pokémon created by man, those that stem from man-made creations, of truly unknown origin, or from outer space. In other words: Pokémon who do not derive genetically from other species.

Note 3: I believe that all Ghost Pokémon derive from Giratina since it is the closest species to the origins of all Pokémon that is Ghost type. This is a touchy subject seeing as how ghosts are generally seen as post-dead beings. In the Pokémon world, "ghost" seems to be a state of being where one is not completely ethereal and is in some way tied to darkness (being what Giratina governs), which may also relate Ghost Pokémon to Darkrai, who I've yet to give a position in this chain.

Ho-oh needs to be in it's own tier, or even with arecus and mew as its able to create Pokemon (suicune entei and raikou)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Tangrowth is a fairly simplistic Pokemon, a pile of vines.

I dunno about Torkoal being under Lapras. Being someone's successor usually means that you are derived from that someone, and Lapras and Torkoal might both have come from Omastar or Kabutops. Or Shuckle.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I can see Sharpedo being a descendant of Relicanth, considering such a malevolent Pokemon such as Gyarados being descended from it.

Possibly Wailord, but I wouldn't do that right now.
Wailord is mammal. It would be related to Walrein and Dewgong.

Mewter

Smash Master
True, very true.
Walrein and Dewgong might be far descendants of Lapras, considering there are no Ancient mammal-like Pokemon, excluding some of the Legendaries.
Well Lapras can't be their originator, or else it wouldn't make sense for it to still be around.
They might have shared a common ancestor though *Relicanth*.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well Lapras can't be their originator, or else it wouldn't make sense for it to still be around.
They might have shared a common ancestor though *Relicanth*.
Uh... wolves and dogs are still around. Countless amounts of fish and reptiles are still around that haven't changed much (if at all) since the dinosaur ages, so keep that in mind when deciding what Pokemon should come first. They're going to be dinosaur-like Pokemon - those that are reptilian, aquatic, and insectoid. No mammals. Birds will obviously branch off from the reptiles.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I just thought of something: Electric types seems to only have one logical source - Raikou. None seem to have much, if anything, in common with the fossils. Zapdos could be considered a source, but none of the others seem to have much connection to him.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
Well why is Relicanth still around if you suggest that Walrein, Dewgong, and Lapras are descended from it?

I caught one in Sapphire, hm?

Have you ever heard of the coelcanth? It is an animal that I believe was the descendant of a few fish species that are around today. Scientists thought it was extinct, but a few years ago, they found a coelcanth in the ocean. I don't remember much about them, but I do know that it is the animal that Relicanth was based off of. For more info, click here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Another thing: alligators / crocodiles / sharks.

These species have been around since prehistoric timres, so it's necessary that they are named and have a place on the list. AKA Feraligatr, Sharpedo.

What about Pokemon which were created naturally such as Heatran, Regirock, Regice, and Registeel?

Bronzong should be somewhere in that older tier, as it is non-animal and was "found," accordng to the PokeDex.

Another thing of note is Pokemon that weren't really "Pokemon". Pokemon that come to mind when said include Claydol, Banette, Shedinja.

The easiest way in the current stage is to take all the Pokemon and list them in the categories: plant, fossil, amphibian, mineral, fish, insect, mammal (which will be further divided), and other. XD

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
@Omnicron and Spire: I'm just saying that Lapras doesn't seem very ancient and Relicanth would probably seem a more likely stem.

@Omnicron: Relicanth is based off a a coelacanth, an ancient fish that hasn't evolved very much in millions of years (which is why it is nicknamed the living fossil) (and NE beat me to it). Relicanth could have branched into Lapras and what's their faces through geographic-isolation. Or Lapras could have evolved that way from Relicanth and the others could have come from Lapras later along the road the same way:
(Relicanth is at the very bottom too)
Just ideas. :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
The Sea Mammal & Eevee Theories

Alright, so the oldest sea mammal must be Kyogre I now realize.

Firstly, we must recognize this chain:
Wolf/dog - seal - walrus - whale

That being said, it would make the most sense to write off the Pokemon chain as such:
Vaporeon - Dewgong - Walrein - Wailord - possible Kyogre (legendaries actually don't have to come first, though Kyogre does not have to be included either).

But also..

With that being said, it has come to my attention that Eevee may play a very important in this chain. For instance:

OR

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

In no particular order near the end.

HGSS sprites suck. And some Platinum sprites aren't so good either.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Mammals Galore!

Know what's interesting about Eevee? It seems to be a perfect representation of both Arceus and Mew. Firstly, it resembles a little cat/dog thing; it's designed to be it's own species apart from both. Secondly, it, along with Arceus, are able to change forms to reflect different types. But now I'm going to take the time to split all of the mammalian Pokemon into sub-categories:

CANINE

FELINE

PRIMATE

HUMANOID

RODENT

BEAR

PACHYDERM

SWINE

HORSE/EVEN-TOED UNGULATE (CATTLE, ETC)

SEA MAMMAL

MARSUPIAL

WEASELS, ETC

CATDOG/OTHER

More evolution chains:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Alakazam's a dog?

I thought that mustache made him a primate/human.
The Alakazam family is based on foxes. Cats and dogs have whiskers, which are equivalents to mustaches.

More evolution chains:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Holy crap, Spire.

I think we need a separate category for humanshape Pokemon. In particular, Hitmonchan, Tyrogue, Medicham.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Holy crap, Spire.

I think we need a separate category for humanshape Pokemon. In particular, Hitmonchan, Tyrogue, Medicham.
More like in particular: Mr. Mime, Jynx, Tyrogue.

Meditite and Medicham look enough like apes. Plus, they certainly seem to be the 3rd gen equivalents to Mankey/Primeape, just as so many other 3rd gen Pokemon are equivalents to 1st gen species.

EDIT: I edited it. Any other suggestions would be great.

BIRDS

GROUNDED/AQUATIC BIRDS

LIZARDS

SHELLED REPTILES

SNAKES

DRAGONS

FISH

BIG FISH

AMPHIBIANS

@Omnicron and Spire: I'm just saying that Lapras doesn't seem very ancient and Relicanth would probably seem a more likely stem.

@Omnicron: Relicanth is based off a a coelacanth, an ancient fish that hasn't evolved very much in millions of years (which is why it is nicknamed the living fossil) (and NE beat me to it). Relicanth could have branched into Lapras and what's their faces through geographic-isolation. Or Lapras could have evolved that way from Relicanth and the others could have come from
:)
I know what a coelacanth is; I'm not an idiot.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
OMGWHYCAN'TISTOPEDITINGTHIS:

Looking over some of the OP, I have a few questions/qualms:

I think Machamp should occupy the humanoid section; could you explain his placement in Primates?

Why is it that the entire section for weasels can't simply be placed under Rodents? (I figured that weasels are part of the rodent family, but I might be incorrect @_@)

Shouldn't the Legendary Birds and Chatot be placed under Birds? (in Chatot's case it was probably just something that was overlooked, but I'm guessing you had a reason to exclude the legendary birds)

Why is it that Venusaur is placed under Amphibians? I realize that it slightly resembles a frog/toad, but it seems like more evidence suggests it would be under Lizards, or some type of reptilian placement (correct me if I'm wrong).

Notlays_Nvhzl

Smash Rookie
why blastiose then laprse? laprse has flipers and blastiose has feet and hands for the land
Their order is based on their Pokemon entry number. Blastoise is 009, Lapras is between 80-140, Torkoal is third gen, and Torterra is fourth gen.

Anyways, some chains that are possible:

Ekans-->Abrok-->Egg-->Seviper

(easy to understand, can be opposite)

Torkoal-->Egg-->Turtwig and evos.

(Geographical isolation (?) can cause changes in species, so Torkoals could have changed eventually through the lack of heat sources in the forest, eventually causing it to become Turtwigs. However, since there are more predators in the wild, Turtwig would need to evolve in order to protect themselves. Crazy theory? Maybe...)

Magikarp-->Egg-->Feebas

(Same Idea as Torkoal to Turtwig theory: Since Feebas are only seen in certain areas, we can assume that they are "Magikarp" that have been temporary isolation from other Magikarp and eventually became a new species)

Sound reasonable? BTW, MY FIRST POST!

Spire

III
BRoomer
@ Clownbot - I actually overlooked both the legendary birds and Chatot. Hehe. I'll add 'em

And Machamp should/could be in humanoid. At first I included all humanoids under primate (because humans are apes), but Machamp may be moved.

And about the weasels... I wanted a category for those animals that look like mongeese (is that right?). Typlosion does. Zangoose obviously does. And the Sneasel and Buizel familes are weasels and those are somewhat similar. I'll merge them all into the rodents though if need be.

@ Notlays - great thinking! Feebas definitely should come from Magikarp, since the former are so rare and the latter so widespread.

As for the shelled families, I think historically they would evolve as such:

Lapras - Blastoise { Torkoal, Torterra

Lapras is the oldest looking species of them all (closest to dinosaur), and Blastoise is a fair halfway species between the latter two, seeing as Fire and Grass are land-based types, and Blastoise can inhabit both water and land, whereas Lapras only lives in water (and isn't even a turtle). I'll rewrite all of that:

1. Lapras = shelled, but not a turtle; lives in water
2. Blastoise = turtle; lives in water and on land
3. Torkoal = turtle; lives on land
3. Torterra = turtle; lives on land

Seeing as how Torkoal has no other evolutionary levels, being a single-stage Pokemon, I would imagine that it evolved from either Wartortle or Grotle.

Mewter

Smash Master
I know what a coelacanth is; I'm not an idiot.
Okay then. Sorry. :)
No hard feelings, but don't ignore the rest of my post (if you didn't ignore it, then ignore this).

Edit:
Oh, and a certain someone has been doing some bandwidth stealing! *Hint* Spire *Hint*

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I noticed you put onix with the "Snakes", wouldn't steelix go in there as well?

Spire

III
BRoomer
@ Mewter - good point, I didn't think about that. I'll end up uploading them all to my photobucket or something eventually.

@ zrky - well we discussed this on aim, but I'll make it public. I believe Onix is just a big snake with thick, rock-like skin and Steelix to be a very different species. Rock and Steel constitute connections to very different Pokemon, so I may include both. However, this ultimately lies in the words of you guys.

So more evolution chains:

1. Kabutops > Kingler/Crawdaunt > Parasect?
1.5. Shuckle > Breloom > fungus that infects Paras^
2. Relicanth > Gyarados > Sharpedo > Garchomp?
3. Rampardos > Tyranitar > Feraligatr > Sceptile > Treecko + feather mutation = birds?
4. Aerodactyl > Charizard > Egg > Charmander + feather mutation = birds?

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
Ho-oh needs to be in it's own tier, or even with arceus and mew as its able to create Pokemon (suicune entei and raikou)
Ho-oh didn't create the dog trio, it revived them after they died in a fire. Assuming my memory is correct.

Also, ...why is venusaur an amphibian? Venusaur, it's a dino, aka lizard.

Top Bottom