• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Ancestral Tree

Ninjabait

Smash Rookie
The problem with the differences in evos, as you have stated, is that it would be too many that have differences to add on.

There may be a Ghost Tier, beings which originated from Giratina.

-Terywj
Well, that's true. But some of them, such as Milotic/Feebas, Tyranitar/Pupitar, and Gyarados/Magikarp, are vastly different. So they should probably go into different categories. While the ones with minor differences, or those who have traits of the category that the final stage evo is in (i.e. Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite) could stay in one genre.

Sounds good, although Sableye and Shedinja might belong in other categories.

Ninjabait

Smash Rookie
According to Bulbapedia, it's based on an imp, so it could probably go into Fairy, Ghost, or Humanoid.

Ninjabait

Smash Rookie
Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam are more based on foxes than raccoons, so they're in the right place.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
As Spire had noted before, aside from the visual similarity, the Abra-line and foxes also share their whiskers, furthering them into the relation that they were based of foxes.

Alakazam stays. xD

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
Since Mew looks like a cat, (and just for that), I think it belongs in the feline class.

Ditto may be an amoeba. Wait a minute. Since Mew and Ditto both learn transform, and they're also both pink...
Does this mean that Ditto is a heat-blasted, cotton-candy version of Mew!?

Ninjabait

Smash Rookie
Since Mew looks like a cat, (and just for that), I think it belongs in the feline class.

Ditto may be an amoeba. Wait a minute. Since Mew and Ditto both learn transform, and they're also both pink...
Does this mean that Ditto is a heat-blasted, cotton-candy version of Mew!?
Well, when you think about it, that may not even be it's true form. Rather trippy.

It probably is some sort of amoeba, yes.

No, I don't think so. Ditto is probably just the after effects of Mew's little creation act.

Mewter

Smash Master
But it doesn't need to use transform in order to look like that (a cat).

And I still think that Ditto is a heat-blasted Mew. :p

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I noticed that both Groudon and Torterra are both considered 'continent' pokemon, so would that mean Groudon is an ancient relative of Torterra? It makes sense, since they're both ground-type.

UberMario

Smash Master
Not really, Groudon is both a ground and fire type while Torterra is a ground and grass type.

Besides, I think Torterra is supposed to be a nod to both ankylosaurs and the mythical "Giant Ocean Turtles" (which were considered to have continents on their backs)

While Groudon is supposed to basically form land out of magma IMO (like a subduction zone in the earth's crust).

EDIT: Why the heck are Furret and Zangoose in the rodent category in the op? They're both weasels which are NOT rodents, weasels are carnivores and they're most closely related to seals, canines, and felines. Besides, we have a weasel category, why aren't they there?

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
lol

10lols
10lols twice, because once isn't enough.
I know, let me add 10 more lol's!! :psycho:

Just because it knows Fire Blast doesn't mean that it's a Fire-type!! C'mon, now!!

Groudon>Torterra, and it may look like a cat, but Mew's all on his own towards the top.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Also 10lols

EDIT: Why the heck are Furret and Zangoose in the rodent category in the op? They're both weasels which are NOT rodents, weasels are carnivores and they're most closely related to seals, canines, and felines. Besides, we have a weasel category, why aren't they there?
Actually, Zangoose is more of a mongoose, which hunt snakes (hence the rivalry with Seviper)

UberMario

Smash Master
Also 10lols
I really don't get what's funny, Groudon could easily become a Ground/Fire type next-gen rather than just a Ground type, besides Fire Blast is still a fire type move which looks relatively natural with Groudon, plus it's conveyed as a "near-magma" kind of pokemon, AND it uses overheat in Brawl.

Actually, Zangoose is more of a mongoose, which hunt snakes (hence the rivalry with Seviper)
Mongooses are weasels, just like meerkats (which are also mongooses), stoats, ermines, and ferrets. (They don't share the same family, but weasels and mongooses are two very closely related families)

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
I really don't get what's funny, Groudon could easily become a Ground/Fire type next-gen rather than just a Ground type, besides Fire Blast is still a fire type move which looks relatively natural with Groudon, plus it's conveyed as a "near-magma" kind of pokemon, AND it uses overheat in Brawl.
First, if the game creators wanted Groudon to be Fire/Ground, they would've changed it already for 4th Gen, but they didn't.

Second, think of Kyogre; it knows Ice Beam and Sheer Cold, and yet, it's not a Water/Ice type, it's pure Water-type...

We just lol'd because you said Groudon is a Fire/Ground type when it's only pure Ground-type...

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'd like to resurrect this thread. I have a peaked interest in exploring these relations again.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Okay so no lie Spire, I was JUST looking at this thread earlier today and wanted to bump it but wasn't sure if you'd let me.

We need a way to fit all the "phyla" of Pokemon in the OP without exceeding the bandwidth.

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I've got a question.

Seeing as Entei, Suicune, and Raikou were formed when the burned tower burned down, wouldn't they be man made instead?

And shouldn't whales be somewhere near the fossil pokemon in teh tier? I mean there WAS a period in Earth's history where mostly sea animals ruled and I believe Whales or the ancestors of Whales were included (Hehe sorry, gotta brush up on my Science a bit :p)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Perhaps yes but the presented phyla are more of classification tools than anything else.

Whales are sea mammals, nowhere near the age of the dinosaurs. Sharkes yes, but no whales.

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hmmm I could've sworn my Science book said that the earliest ansestor of the Whale lived in these times...

Well then why isn't Sharpedo classified there then?

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
I thought ho-oh/lugia were made AFTER most pokemon.
They were made to stop dispute between people and pokemon, ho-oh protecting pokemon while lugia defends the humans

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Because just placing a Pokemon in a phylum due to time appearance is too constricting, and we're just listing things out in order to categorize them.

If we really wanted to specifiy on things, we've have to reorder to Plant Tier into the correct order of evolution (vascular plants, gymnosperms, angiosperms, etc.). Do you really wanna do that? I don't think so..

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I do!

But ok then

Why is Raikou, Suicune and Entei at the top when they were made when the tower was burned down in recent times?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I thought ancient times was lets say right at the beginning of the pokemon world.

Now I would say that the story implies that this happened recently. Actually let me check something:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world

Look at this. It says that this happened around 150 years before the series began. I don't think that ancient times was just about 150 years before the series began

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm working on a completely new system to categorize Pokemon and it's surprisingly working really well. Once I finish the diagram, I'll post it, because right now it's chaos.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
one thing

luxray looks more like a canine than a feline
just thought i'd put that out there

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
As am I, but patience is a virtue, as most would say.

I realize that I never did get around to making the Insect / Crustacean Tiers. Good thing too.

-Terywj

Spire

III
BRoomer
How is Magmar/Magmotar a Grounded/Aquatic Bird?
Hmm...

Magmar/Magby are based on a booby and a salamander, so naturally, Magmortar is too (despite it looking like a cross between a clown and a couple of cannons). Half bird/half amphibian (if you equate that, the halfway point between the two would be reptile). I guess you can either classify it as a bird, a reptile, or an amphibian.

This new system I'm working on pretty much discounts most of the info in the OP though and it's based on actual statistics from the games (for the most part).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I dunno, I think it'd deserve it's own classing, like the platypus. Though I can see where you'd want to try and compare it with others.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I'd just like to point out that Delibird is neither grounded nor aquatic. In the anime it was shown to fly quite often as was Farfetch'd.

Also, Tyranitar shows more signs of being insectoid rather than reptilian. It goes from larval, to pupal to adult form just like an insect would.

Also I thought it was commonly agreed that Entei/Raikou/Suicune were giant gerbils cus **** trying anyone to come to a consensus on them

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
The legendary dog trio were just some random, normal Pokemon (Like some random Rattata or something) until Ho-oh decided to mutate them in order to save their lives. They are not part of any descendant groups.

Regirock, Ice, and Steel are from way back when as well. The guard that tree from the Lucario movie with Mew, and have done so since forever. In fact, most of the legendaries must be from ancient times because they can't breed. The exception is only Lugia, as far as we know.

Speaking of which, what's with Ditto? How come you can't breed two Starmie but you can breed Starmie with Ditto? Ditto can only copy, right? So... what does it become?

Top Bottom