• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pocket Monsters Inc. (The General Spriting Thread)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh you guys are too much. I'm still going to be around, but I won't work in the shop any more.

Maybe I'll get around to requesting some stuff, just for the hell of it. Thanks for all the sentiments though :)

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Venusaur/Torterra fusion.

EDIT: Request list is updated.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Custom Battles have returned!

Hello, all!

As promised, The Custom Battle system is making a comeback!

Drapvire's Summary | Flyceon's Summary
Electric/Poison | Ice/Dragon

Made by Bowser King | Made by Meta-Kirby

HP: 73 | HP: 73
Attack: 107 | Attack: 80
Defense: 89 | Defense: 95
Sp. Attack: 78 | Sp. Attack: 105
Sp. Defense: 80 | Sp. Defense: 88
Speed: 95 | Speed: 83​
Check the OP for more info.

Blackroserade66

Smash Cadet
Request:

Dark/Grass type Roserade evolution chain, with most of the body black, along with the petals.

(Gen 3 Roselia)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yay! I was wondering what the Custom Battles were before...

At first I thought Drapivire would win, but then I remembered that because Flyceon is part Flygon, it would know EQ...that basically destroys Drapivire.

So imo, Flyceon wins.

M.K

Level 55
We dont know what moves it knows though...
It doesn't matter, it's like an Anime Battle.
Think about it like a big dog-dragon thing fighting IN REAL LIFE against an....um....electric furry scorpion thing (!?!??!?).
IMO, Flyceon wins just due to it's ability to deal major damage to Drapivire with Special Attacks in comparison to Drapivire's Sp. Defense.

Flyceon S. Attack 105 ----> Drapivire S. Defense 80 = 25 base points different

Drapivire Attack 107 ----> Flyceon Defense 90. - 17 base points different

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Flyceon has overall better stats and type advantage. So I vote Flyceon.

Firus, should there be a rule about only posting for the custom battells if you haven't requested before? To lower the many posts that will just have "I vote ___" or " I think ___is better than ___"? Also are you just making up the stats, or should it be up to the creator what the stats are? Another also, should the creator give it a moveset, item and such to make it more of a pokemon battle?

M.K

Level 55
Flyceon has overall better stats and type advantage. So I vote Flyceon.

Firus, should there be a rule about only posting for the custom battells if you haven't requested before? To lower the many posts that will just have "I vote ___" or " I think ___is better than ___"? Also are you just making up the stats, or should it be up to the creator what the stats are? Another also, should the creator give it a moveset, item and such to make it more of a pokemon battle?
He isn't making up random stats, that would be unfair.
He is averaging the stats of each of the Pokemon used in the fusion.
For example, the Attack of a Jirachi (base 100) fused with a Flareon (base 130) would be Base 115.

XACE-K

Smash Master
OMFG!!!! Custom Battles !!!!11!!! F*** YEAH!!!

...ahem

Anyways, yay they're back. And Flyceon will win.

Edit: Yeah... changed my mind.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
It doesn't matter, it's like an Anime Battle.
Think about it like a big dog-dragon thing fighting IN REAL LIFE against an....um....electric furry scorpion thing (!?!??!?).
IMO, Flyceon wins just due to it's ability to deal major damage to Drapivire with Special Attacks in comparison to Drapivire's Sp. Defense.

Flyceon S. Attack 105 ----> Drapivire S. Defense 80 = 25 base points different

Drapivire Attack 107 ----> Flyceon Defense 90. - 17 base points different
This isn't supposed to be about an anime type thing, or at least, I'm pretty sure it isn't. If it were, we would be seeing electric moves hitting ground types and other garbage like that.

Fighting type moves would hit Flyceon hard. Flyceon would also get outspeeded leading into a possible magnet rise (if you don't know, electivire learns magnet rise through move tutor). Thus eliminating its only real weakness.

None of its stabs do anything beyond 1x damage but Drapvires weak sp. defense makes up for that.

So taking into account that the battle will likely run like this....

Drapvire used magnet rise/substitute!
Flyceon used Earthquake (seriously, it would seem best to take the chance to get a possible earthquake, however any other move like ice beam would do quite a bit)
Drapvire used fighting move (2x it's already good base att would do enough damage to flyceons weak defense to get the higher damage).

The end result though I'm not sure what it would be.

That's all threoy-crafting but it still holds some water in that drapvire would likely not have to worry about ground moves and could hit hard back. On the other side Flyceon has a higher difference in sp Att vs Sp Def then Drapvire so it hits pretty hard.

In the end though, I'm not really sure :p

-:bowser:Bowser King

M.K

Level 55
This isn't supposed to be about an anime type thing, or at least, I'm pretty sure it isn't. If it were, we would be seeing electric moves hitting ground types and other garbage like that.

Fighting type moves would hit Flyceon hard. Flyceon would also get outspeeded leading into a possible magnet rise (if you don't know, electivire learns magnet rise through move tutor). Thus eliminating its only real weakness.

None of its stabs do anything beyond 1x damage but Drapvires weak sp. defense makes up for that.

So taking into account that the battle will likely run like this....

Drapvire used magnet rise/substitute!
Flyceon used Earthquake (seriously, it would seem best to take the chance to get a possible earthquake, however any other move like ice beam would do quite a bit)
Drapvire used fighting move (2x it's already good base att would do enough damage to flyceons weak defense to get the higher damage).

The end result though I'm not sure what it would be.

That's all threoy-crafting but it still holds some water in that drapvire would likely not have to worry about ground moves and could hit hard back. On the other side Flyceon has a higher difference in sp Att vs Sp Def then Drapvire so it hits pretty hard.

In the end though, I'm not really sure :p

You can't just make up little battle scenes to prove things, you have to look at raw stats. Your battle scene makes Flyceon look like it's a flying bag of stupidity.
And also, why would Flyceon use a Physical attack when it's Special Attack is clearly higher? If anything, it uses Earth Power over Earthquake.
And you can't just give your Pokemon moves that clearly give it the advantage while ignoring the other's potential, that would be unfair.
In the end, it just comes down raw stats and who is most likely to win in a normal battle situation.

EDIT: One Draco Meteor from Flyceon would surely end the battle.

I want to see what Firus says before we continue this any longer. For all we know, we are going about this completely wrong.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
You can't just make up little battle scenes to prove things, you have to look at raw stats. Your battle scene makes Flyceon look like it's a flying bag of stupidity.
And also, why would Flyceon use a Physical attack when it's Special Attack is clearly higher? If anything, it uses Earth Power over Earthquake.
And you can't just give your Pokemon moves that clearly give it the advantage, that would be unfair.
In the end, it just comes down raw stats and who is most likely to win in a normal battle situation.

EDIT: One Draco Meteor from Flyceon would surely end the battle.
I think that's the point of a counter:)

M.K

Level 55
I think that's the point of a counter:)
If that's the case, I'd just hold a Focus Sash and counter with a Draco Meteory.

Do you realize the redundancy this causes? We could counter each other all day with this, we need a different way to go about this.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
1. No, that will only break the second guideline for requesting. If we don't count your vote unless you request, people will request random crap just to vote.

2. As MK said, and as I did last time, I am averaging the two Pokemon's stats.

3. No. I thought about giving it a moveset but that's too restrictive. The point of these is to be a custom battle, not a pre-fit battle.

Bowser:

It actually is supposed to be more of an anime-style battle. That doesn't mean electric should be able to hit ground...but it's more free-flowing. If you recall last time, I listed off the abilities a Pokemon might have like swimming, flying, etc. because they would be able to use the environment to their advantage. But, I didn't really want to include that this time, it's kind of pointless.

I don't want this to be like..."counters". There's the counter game if you want to play it, this is supposed to be more imaginative and free than just a moveset slapped on stats with a sprite to make it look better.

What? I meant for the shop members the ones that sprite, so we can figure out a way to run the Custom Battles smoothly without this (look at above posts) happening.
We still have a group for that.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
1. No, that will only break the second guideline for requesting. If we don't count your vote unless you request, people will request random crap just to vote.
All right
2. As MK said, and as I did last time, I am averaging the two Pokemon's stats.
Didn't know :ohwell:
3. No. I thought about giving it a moveset but that's too restrictive. The point of these is to be a custom battle, not a pre-fit battle.
So it's gonna be a use your imagination and then vote kinda thing?

We still have a group for that.
Right, I forgot about it >_<
Blue .

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
It actually is supposed to be more of an anime-style battle. That doesn't mean electric should be able to hit ground...but it's more free-flowing. If you recall last time, I listed off the abilities a Pokemon might have like swimming, flying, etc. because they would be able to use the environment to their advantage. But, I didn't really want to include that this time, it's kind of pointless.
Ahhh....then my vote goes towards Drapvire. If this is anime..

XACE-K

Smash Master
~Request~

Scyther + Ariados

And you should put in the OP that this is supposed to be an anime styled fight Firus.

M.K

Level 55

Introducing: Rairret!

Introducing: Obliteroise!
The ShellGun Pokemon
Water-Type
Evolves from BLASTOISE when it knows Iron Defense and Hydro Cannon.
OBLITEROISE shells have been adapted to cover a dominant cannon arm. The cannon's water pressure is so great, it can destroy skyscrapers with a single blast.
HP- 100.
Attack- 80
Defense - 115
Sp. Attack - 125
Sp. Defense - 80
Speed - 70

*I'm so proud of this, I scratched almost the entire thing =DDDDDDDDDDDD

XACE-K

Smash Master

Introducing: Obliteroise!
The ShellGun Pokemon
Water-Type
Evolves from BLASTOISE when it knows Iron Defense and Hydro Cannon.
OBLITEROISE shells have been adapted to cover a dominant cannon arm. The cannon's water pressure is so great, it can destroy skyscrapers with a single blast.
HP- 100.
Attack- 80
Defense - 115
Sp. Attack - 125
Sp. Defense - 80
Speed - 70
*I'm so proud of this, I scratched almost the entire thing =DDDDDDDDDDDD​
Awesome. My only complaint is that the mouth protrudes out a bit, making it look awkward. Other than that, it's great.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I don't mean to sound like a total douche, but Oblivertoise, well kinda sucks sprite-wise, it seems too cratoony and looks like it was half a$$ed.

But this is just my opinion.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, your intentions failed, then.

Look guys. This has been a long time coming. I've endured some of this **** for quite a while, but now it's time to say something.

We work very hard on these sprites for you. VERY hard. Some people are nice and appreciate it, and thank us for them, although that doesn't happen half as often as it used to. A bunch of people don't even come back to the shop to see the sprite, but we make it anyways in case they do.

And then there's always the possibility that someone's going to come back with some sort of flame or insult.

It's fine if maybe the sprite didn't turn out the way you want it or you don't like the sprite, maybe. But it really SUCKS to put a TON of work into something only to have it be brushed off or attacked. We work hard for you guys and the only thing we get in return is your thanks, if even that.

Because of this, a few of us have considered quitting the shop. MK and I both. Of course, I feel an undying need to keep it going because...I don't know, it does hold importance to me, and I don't want it to die. But we can't keep working for you guys if you live to tell us each thing wrong with our sprite or how much it sucks. Even one comment telling you how great something is makes it amazing, but the moment someone says "I don't really like it" it ruins it. AND ADDING "BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION" DOES NOT HELP. If you think things like that help...watch this. We know it's your opinion. And whether or not you MEAN offense/to be a jerk/etc. you cause it when you say things like that.

It sucks when members do it too, because, really, MK and I are the only ones that consistently work in the shop anymore. It's irksome to enter the thread and see that someone has added a disparaging comment about our sprites rather than maybe making their own to contribute.

This doesn't mean we can't take any sort of criticism, that we can't accept that our sprites are less than perfect or that we want you guys to get high just on seeing our sprites. But GOD, at least make it kind or constructive.

Bad criticism: "This sprite sort of sucks, I don't like the way the head looks. :ohwell:"

Good criticism: "I think if you made the head purple instead of gray it might look better, but I really like what you did with the pattern on the tail and the wings you put on there, you did some great scratching."

(That's not based on any sprite, it's just a generic critique.)

Also, we do not half-*** our sprites. We put a lot of time into them. And part of the reason we do is because a lot of the requests are just...annoying. But we still do them anyways, for your sake, and then once we give it a shot and are proud of our sprite you guys brush it off and we were better off not making it in the first place.

Don't think Koarin's the sole one to blame, he's just the straw that broke the camel's back. But that comment, and other comments we've had in the psat, REALLY hurt. They're just unnecessary.

If you can't think of something to say NICELY then it would be much appreciated if you'd just shut up altogether.

NO OFFENSE THOUGH RIGHT?

Wrath`

Smash Master
I was waiting for this to happen, I knew I should have kept ti too myself, But based on the quality of sprites MK has done, this one really was lack-luster in my opinion, OK maybe I shouldn't have used the word "sucked", but I felt like it was the only was to express the criticism I wanted. I was comparing it to his other greater sprites.

I added my opinion, because it is, and if like your work you should disregard it because it is MY OPINION. If you truly have pride in your work, you should not care then about what is not criticism. If you didn't regard my post as criticism, just look past it, it's just an opinion.

You are right, I can not make my own sprites, and what MK made is probably better than a scratch I could do, but the point is when you put art out, you will have harsher criticisms.

Your example of good criticism sound kinda candy coated too. I didn't like any of the scratching MK did, how can I candy coat that, say "Start over, poor work, try again"? NO you would need to have a strong statement.

I said it looked half a$$ed, I did not say anything about the time he put into it, did I?

I remember the "if you have nothing nice to say"....blah blah line from back in elementary school. We are adults here (15+ for most of us right?) I hope we can handle the word "sucked". That word has gotten under my skin too, but I don't let it get me down, I just keep on doing what I love. If you love to sprite do ti no matter what any person says.

MANY OFFENSE TAKEN, YA?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Basically you're defending being a jerk about this by saying that we should just be able to ignore it? That's not an excuse or a defense.

Half-***ed means he didn't put EFFORT into it. And I know for a fact that he did.

We are not "putting art out", we are not spriting in this shop do to what we love. If we were doing what we loved, we would be making our own sprites on our own accord using our own guidelines. We're doing this for YOU GUYS.

So sorry, telling us to do what we love no matter how much **** we get back doesn't really help.

We're not just taking offense to the word "sucked", for heaven's sake. It's the whole criticism. Telling us to grow up and get over it is NOT a defense. You're not even apologetic. THIS is why we feel like quitting.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I only said the word "Sucked", I even said that I shouldn't have used it.I don't feel like I need to apologize, cause i just said what I thought, I am sure I could have said much worse. I hope would grow up over the simple word of "sucked". It's not like I tired to mentally attack him, I just said "it sucked". wow, I really don't see the big deal. When I said it LOOKED half a$$ed, I was not saying he didn't put effort into it, I just said it LOOKED like he didn't. If he spent 4 hours on, good for him, I never said he spent 5 minuets.

I truly thought you liked what you did, then only reason I thought this shop was up was to get new ideas, improve upon your spriting and please some fellow members in the process, why bother to do things you hate within the realm of art?

You take offense to the whole criticism? The do you want to get better? My original post might not make anyone better, but there have been some other criticism out there that have been helpful, but not particularly candy coated or "sweetened up"

And if I remember correctly, wasn't MK who bashed non shop people sprites? Way back? Oh, but the minute a non spriter starts to criticize a spriters work, it's gone too far.

Ok let me re-criticize MK's work.

The sprite looks poorly constructed, Cartoony looking, you have done much better than this countless times.

Would that have not caused this argument?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You clearly don't get it, you keep pining upon the same arguments but you don't get it.

I'm not sure if the shop is going to stay open. And no, not just because of you. As I said, you're the straw that broke the camel's back.

Top Bottom