• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PMBR says they are redesigning recoveries

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to hit him to consume his double jump. He already does it himself when he floats. Hitting him causes him to have to recover without his double jump, and he can't hover again until he touches the ground.
You didn't understand what I said. "Teleport consumes jump/hover, but does not put Mewtwo in special fall."

I suggest using Up+B, grounded or not, consumes Mewtwo's midair jump/hover. There is no "he already consumes his midair jump when he floats", he just can't do either. I think you're making this more complicated than it is...

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Every character should have a reverse sweetspot or no character should. It wouldn't sit well with me if every character didn't have it because it is a useful mechanic and deserves to be global. It's bad enough that it is that way in Melee currently, but can't do anything about that. It would be a step backwards to only allow the Melee characters to have a reverse sweet spot in P:M, imo.
Just because it is a useful mechanic doesn't mean every character should automatically get it, take DACUS' for example. At the very least, the PMDT should review all of the characters and their recoveries to determine how each one would benefit from it. They could analyze things like effectiveness and ease of use for each of the recoveries and make decisions based on things of that nature. If the PMDT really want to nerf recoveries in a relatively simple way, this could be a great option.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Just because it is a useful mechanic doesn't mean every character should automatically get it, take DACUS' for example. At the very least, the PMDT should review all of the characters and their recoveries to determine how each one would benefit from it. They could analyze things like effectiveness and ease of use for each of the recoveries and make decisions based on things of that nature. If the PMDT really want to nerf recoveries in a relatively simple way, this could be a great option.
I also think every character should be able to have a DACUS, actually. That's harder to do however since it would to involve changing up traction for some of the characters and reworking their dash attacks. Whereas reverse ledge-grabs don't really change anything for the character in terms of gameplay besides have an extra option.

At least DACUS makes sense to not actually be a part of every character. Reverse sweetspotting doesn't make sense to not be on every character, imo.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I also think every character should be able to have a DACUS, actually. That's harder to do however since it would to involve changing up traction for some of the characters and reworking their dash attacks. Whereas reverse ledge-grabs don't really change anything for the character in terms of gameplay besides have an extra option.

At least DACUS makes sense to not actually be a part of every character. Reverse sweetspotting doesn't make sense to not be on every character, imo.
Dacus is completely dependent on jumpstart frames alone.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Dacus is dependent on jumpsquat frames, the momentum of the dash attack, and if it can go off ledges or not.

Last edited:

Zerthex

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3883-6084-5037
There should be a bit more leeway when trying to DACUS on characters like Roy and it should be exacutable with Z like Snake's. I believe Roy's DACUS has only a one frame window.

Taken from ItsRainingGravy's DACUS and YOU! guide
Grab for DACUS: No
Timing: 0-1 frame, Super Fast
Length: 5 squares, slightly less than 33.3% the length of Final Destination
Distance Gained: +3.5 squares
Success Rate: Low
Viability: B

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Characters can only DACUS if their jumpsquat is more than 3 frames. A character needs at least 5 frames of jump squat to DACUS with the grab button. Roy cannot because his jumpsquat is 4 frames. The reason you can't is I believe because grab on the first frame does a boost grab, but I'm not 100% sure so someone feel free to correct me.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
Something i've gotten from this thread:

People that are making suggestions to what should happen in a game, actually have no idea how the game works.
I concur, there really needs to be a standardized smash test so we can better police these forums. You know, in order to be taken seriously you need to prove your knowledge or something.

Narpas_sword

nah, that's what the backroom is for.
PMDT know to not take anyone here too seriously.

Its just that a majority whine can cause things to happen that arent needed sometimes.

WIZRD.Pro

Smash Apprentice
nah, that's what the backroom is for.
PMDT know to not take anyone here too seriously.

Its just that a majority whine can cause things to happen that arent needed sometimes.
Okay, then maybe a forum for people to make non-whining suggestions? XD!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well I'm glad they didn't change them back to Brawl tethers. I don't use any character with a Z tether, and those seem to be more problematic. I'm looking forward to hearing results of their testing

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I guess Smash4 will remain my main game, not grabbing the ledge with your back facing to it is SO INFURIATING. I hope they don't nerf Mario's recovery.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Not sure where you got the impression that backwards ledgegrabs would be changed back to Brawl status at any time during PM's development.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Yup, learning how to properly recover, a thing that takes a few minutes of practice and self awareness to do semi consistently is a deal breaker.
Cool, cool.
So, I hope this makes characters with Z-Tethers less reliant on said Z-Tethers, which is all I wanted. Samus never needs to screwed attack and I think this is... well what was needed.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

i always need screw attack...

you should edge guard better.
learning how to properly recover edgeguard, a thing that takes a few minutes of practice and self awareness to do semi consistently .....

MLGF

Smash Lord
What I'm saying is, that Z-Tether was almost always a safer option then screwattack.
Screattack isn't bad, but if you just want to safely get back to the ledge, then why use it?

Narpas_sword

because Grapple has no hitbox and swings you down to the same position every time

But absolutely, if your opponent is going to sit and let you use the grapple, theres no reason to mix it up.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Try bairing a Samus away from the ledge with Marth and you'll understand how frustrating it can be.

MLGF

Smash Lord
If you grapple extremely low (which works wonderfully BTW), then a lot of characters can't punish it because they'll SD in the attempt.
Yes, very few characters can do it, but some characters just can not punish it.

Characters like MK and Fox sure. But that's such a damn small amount of the roster.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

not sure why people arent killing samus off top tbh.

also, lol at marths complaining they cant get close to samus. welcome to our world.

does marth ^b not hit a hanging samus and still reach the edge?

Last edited:

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I 100% support this in theory. I'll need to try it to be sure, though. 50 frames initially sounded really long, but if you guys have been messing with it and feel like it's fine, I'm willing to give it a shot. That, and I know I abuse Lucas' Z-tether like crazy, so I probably deserve a hefty kick in the teeth after all the cheesing I've done with that thing.

To everyone repeatedly acting like the PMDT is ruining your character by these recovery changes, quit complaining and stop playing the game. I'm sick of your "LET ME WHINE WITHOUT PROPOSING ANY ALTERNATIVE SOLUTIONS," as well as your insufferable desire to make this a less fun game. You're free to disagree with their changes (Lord knows, my problems with PM as a whole are legion), but posts like "GUESS I'M DONE WITH PROJECT M BECAUSE I CAN'T RECOVER THE WAY I WANT" help no one.

I assure you, the meta of this game will develop fine, with or without you. At this point, preferably without.

Narpas_sword

people also seem tho think that because their character gets slightly worse recovery, nothing else will change and their stuck with a poor character. if your character is in danger of becoming obsolete due to a slight recovery nerf, im SURE PMDT will do something to boost the characters stats elsewhere.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I tend to understand why people hate the idea of "x player maining y hates strong nerf of y's move? lmao" but for'real. a person so into samus that their entire account is based on metroid in some form doesn't like that their ridiculously silly move is now less silly

step away from the bias, it won't end well if you don't

Narpas_sword

I tend to understand why people hate the idea of "x player maining y hates strong nerf of y's move? lmao" but for'real. a person so into samus that their entire account is based on metroid in some form doesn't like that their ridiculously silly move is now less silly

step away from the bias, it won't end well if you don't
im the one who gets punished if i brainlessly use tether...

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
currently, I could just dair everyone and trade stocks b/c lolmetaknight if I really wanted to. I love just carrying down people to the blast zone like that, it's so spectacularly silly

I'm expecting nerfs on so many things with metaknight and I'm ok w/ that because I am not a giant baby

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
To be fair, you shouldn't brainlessly use tether. The reason for the nerf was that tethers provided too many options as it was. Characters who already had difficulty jumping out to intercept them have effectively very few safe responses when considering what the tether user could do.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Which is why hearing the argument that tethering limited your options I find pretty BS. Samus' tether was practically free, and I'm fine admitting that. The risk of going down there to punish it wasn't worth it for a majority of the cast, so now there's limitations on it. It's still a tether, so I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

meh, my point was always that samus could recover from the same places on most stages in melee anyway.

the tether nerf doesnt bother me. ill just bomb stall more.

now if missiles get nerfed ill start crying =p

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I appreciate that Up B and Z air tethers are being treated differently, as they should. Z air users have the option of a recovering Up B they can use while the others limited to just an Up B tether. The extra lag is a little worrisome though. Playing Ivysaur knowing my only way to recover from below is a tether that will be easier to punish is scary. I'm hoping some sort of compensation can be added to characters like that, but I wouldn't know the first thing about balancing a character.

Remember everyone: These updates will be a true test of our ability to adapt. If you can't adapt, you shouldn't be playing a Smash Bros. game.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Wait, somebody clear something up for me real quick because I'm tired and can't remember. Don't all characters besides a select few have the ability to grab the ledge backwards if they turn around at the apex of their UpB?? Which ones exactly don't have this ability??

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
They all do in PM.
Thanks for clarifying. I'd understand if the range gets shortened, as I've heard it's kind of wonky, and more like Melee where your back actually has to be physically touching the ledge or pretty damn close to grab it

Top Bottom