• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
In an attempt to remain neutral I'd like to point out that that chart is totally ****ed lol.

It compares a device that's almost a year out to one that's literally only been out a week in america and less than a month in japan. If it were to try and be fair it should be the entire DS family vs the PSP/Go/Vita. It would still be pretty lopsided but would give sony like, 30-35% of the market share.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm actually getting quite the itch to buy one.

Such a bad idea to buy one now though.

...but Lumines! @______________@

F8AL

Banned via Warnings

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Because there weren't enough things about the Vita that didn't make sense.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This is basically where gaming is going for the foreseeable future. EA has been trying to do things where you cannot buy a game used. I think next gen we will see no more used games.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That's the rumor with the next Xbox, and if it were true, a lot of people would flock to the PS4 and Wii U if they kept the old school way of selling games.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think you have some idyllic view of developers.

If XBox 3 does that, EA may go exclusive. Capcom too.

finalark

SNORLAX
Crimson has a point. The only thing publishers care about is money and if they don't get money from used games then damn those of us who can't afford to drop $60 every time a new game comes out.

IMO the retro gaming scene will go through the roof from people who can't afford new games (assuming they bump the price up again, we'll be looking at $70 per game).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Doesn't mean every console is gonna go through this method. Xbox rumors themselves have put it where you won't be able to play used games. All I'm saying is, if that option is available for the Wii U and PS4, then there are a lot of gamers who have already stated that their allegiances would quickly change.

And I honestly think if you squeeze out the used game industry, then it's not gonna help sales for new games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Doesn't mean every console is gonna go through this method. Xbox rumors themselves have put it where you won't be able to play used games. All I'm saying is, if that option is available for the Wii U and PS4, then there are a lot of gamers who have already stated that their allegiances would quickly change.
Maybe Nintendo doesn't care, but seeing how the Vita seems interested in being anti-used game I don't think Sony is exactly on the side of the gamers in this case.

And I honestly think if you squeeze out the used game industry, then it's not gonna help sales for new games.
Like I was saying, if used games are gone then people who can't afford them/don't want thirty useless disks lying around their house will possibly turn to older games as a cheaper alternative. IMO Sony and MS seem to think that people buy PlayStations and Xboxes to watch netflix and browse facebook when in fact they buy them to play games. By throwing used games out the windows they're discarding a huge audience, putting a number of retailers out of business and digging their own graves.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Nintendo won't do it because they don't have to. How many DSes have they released with rereleases? They make a ton of money off of consoles, and people will pay for the same thing again and again.

If that model fails, Nintendo will join in. No company is immune to the push for money.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
From what I understand you can put your PS3 games into the Vita right? Just not very big games just like Skyrim for example. If not then disregard this then. Or if someone has a link explaining he Vita that would be helpful.

:phone:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
From what I understand you can put your PS3 games into the Vita right? Just not very big games just like Skyrim for example. If not then disregard this then. Or if someone has a link explaining he Vita that would be helpful.

:phone:
I thought you could only download and upload the save data of a PS3 game that also appears on Vita so that you can use your save on the go.

I also got around to playing the Vita. It is a pretty cool system, but my only concern is that the buttons and analog sticks are WAY too small.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
My wife said Modnation is pretty great. She stayed up until 2:30 playing it. She has never done that with any other game. I really want to get my hands on it soon.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I want the Vita version of Mortal Kombat

It has 16 new costumes and a new Challenge Tower along with a new reward for completing the Challenge Tower. Doesn't sound like much but I'm a HUGE MK fan. WANT

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I want the Vita version of Mortal Kombat

It has 16 new costumes and a new Challenge Tower along with a new reward for completing the Challenge Tower. Doesn't sound like much but I'm a HUGE MK fan. WANT
Do trophies correlate with ps3 ones?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ UMVC3 for ps3 has different trophies than the vita version? So it's like, you can get two platinums for your psn? XD That's so odd.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'll be changing the OP real soon. If you guys have the PSV and would like to put up your PSN tag, might as well do it now.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
AWWW Yeah, Silent Hill for PSV pre-ordered.

I really like Little Deviants. The game is really hard.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Today I participated in a Vita demo for my university's video game club, gotta say, other than Modnation Racers, I didn't like the system at all (having tried 6 games for that demo). The thing just seemed like a more streamlined Game Gear but with two analog sticks that aren't sensitive enough for adventure/shooter games like Uncharted. The analog sticks are fit for games like cheap platformers and game like MNR. Besides that, the overall feel of the controller seems a bit too compressed unless you've got rather small hands, otherwise using the L and R buttons in conjunction with the D-pad or other buttons caused a strain on my hand because of the rounded sides of the system (a problem I also have found to have with the newer DSi and 3DS. I wasn't the only one to experience this either, a lot of the members agreed with me after a mere 10 minutes of play on the Vita, and none of us have above-average sized hands. Graphics wise, ****ing beautiful. Speakers could be louder, but the sound itself was crisp and clear. Some flaws I found were also just my tastes talking, i.e. feel of buttons, placement of volume buttons. On the other hand, the flaws that we found and agreed on were enough to convince me to not want to purchase one :(. If they redo it in 3 years? Maybe.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I went to a college Brawl tourny, and they had Sony spokesperson have us demo the Vita. I also got to play Uncharted on it as well. Some initial impressions.

1. First off, the home menu is a bit too simplistic and kiddish for me. Bubbles represent "apps" and while easy to navigate...just didn't appeal to me personally.

2. Camera sucks. If you have a smart phone with a 5mp camera or better, just use that.

3. Not sure if this is because I opted to have a "trial PSN" (because no internet, I couldn't log in), that you can't do much of anything without a memory card inside it. Can't play Uncharted either.

4. I don't know if the memory card provided contained the software update, but Uncharted required one, and I'm glad I was able to go through.

5. Uncharted the game itself. First off, wow. Them graphics. It might be due to the small screen, but there is hardly any pixelation or rough edges. Everything just seems so smooth and beautiful. It's amazing how a portable game can push that much. The touch controls are super easy to use. I enjoy drawing out a map for Drake to climb all the walls. Tilting the controller to the side to have him lean towards another platform, before you make your jump is awesome too. HOWEVER, the shooting mechanics were a bit sensitive. Maybe I could have adjusted it in the options, but I had a hard time shooting my opponents, because it just moved too fast for me. Melee uses a combination of the square button, and touch inputs to finish opponents off. Pretty neat.

6. The design of the Vita: Everything feels right. I wouldn't say I have small hands, but not big hands either. I come pretty close to holding a basketball in one hand, but always fall short. No chance to use the back pad touch controls, but just holding the L and R buttons...the analogs...going to the touch screen...it was very easy and natural. My only problem is, if you put it in a bag, the analogs...while pretty small and pressed in, they may still end up being pushed in a direction while in your BP or pocket.

Overall, very nice portable system. Just a shame it's so pricey.

Oh, and I got some Vita sunglasses. I look like a BAMF.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
I got 2, 25, 299.

Does it change?

First number is here: http://community.us.playstation.com/community/consoles/psvita ; on the right side of the page. Shouldn't miss it.

Second is here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/category/ps-vita/ ; right before the big white rectangle announcements.

The third and final number is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/UNCHARTED ; skip the video to the near end (or watch it, if you so well please).

The first two numbers are pretty much consistent for everybody, for now, I think.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You're looking at it the wrong way. Long before the Vita came out, Sony blatantly admitted they knew they were not going to sell as much as Nintendo. Why? Because their target audience is different from theirs. Yes we're all gamers, and yes there are those who may have to choose between one over the other, but at the end of the day, the two are 2 different systems in everything they give. Price hurts, but like I said, Sony knew what they were doing before hand.

Top Bottom