• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I want the most unbiased opinion possible.

Is it worth getting the Vita?
I own one, but even then, I can't even say yes or no. You're going to have to look at the list of currently available niche titles and see if it's worth it for you. Other than that, it helps if you already own (or looking into getting) digital PSP/PS1 titles or Playstation+.

If none of those apply to you, it's not worth it.

Edit: Even if you're looking into getting one, wait a bit. October and November, you might be seeing some sales going on.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Vita WIFI now at 199.99 with Borderlands 2 on the way. Also, price cuts on memory cards coming as well.

Honestly, I'd be interested in the Vita, but the ergonomics just seem...bleh compared to the 3DS.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Vita WIFI now at 199.99 with Borderlands 2 on the way. Also, price cuts on memory cards coming as well.

Honestly, I'd be interested in the Vita, but the ergonomics just seem...bleh compared to the 3DS.
I would've preferred if it was its own thing, but Sony is pushing it towards a portable version of a home console experience with lots of indie games. Which is fine and all, but I'm going to need more exclusives than just ports.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, they definitely need to up the game library on the Vita. However, if they can truly get cross play to be something you can use between PS4 and Vita would be out of this world. Even a game like Elder Scrolls Online for the Vita would be super special awesome.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
That's my problem with Sony in how they are handling Vita. It's the PS3/4's little brother and that just isn't good. The lovely piece of hardware needs more independence.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I don't have a PS3, so most of the games that I missed out on I can now play. However, I will agree that the Vita needs it's own identity. However, my Vita is still new to me, so I will be good for some time. Will definitely say that some of the Vita's exclusives are a nice change of pace from what I get on my 3DS.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm liking Sony's announcement of the Vita TV. It's almost like a reversed Wii U thing that can also remote play the PS4 as well at an affordable price. Sure that means more games might stop utilizing the touch screen features but I never cared for those. I'm hoping that this makes Vita become at least what the PSP was in Japan.

Games I'm looking forward to are Ys IV, Trails in the Sky SC (PSP), Dangan Ronpa, and maybe some imports.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I'm liking Sony's announcement of the Vita TV. It's almost like a reversed Wii U thing that can also remote play the PS4 as well at an affordable price. Sure that means more games might stop utilizing the touch screen features but I never cared for those. I'm hoping that this makes Vita become at least what the PSP was in Japan.

Games I'm looking forward to are Ys IV, Trails in the Sky SC (PSP), Dangan Ronpa, and maybe some imports.
Most of the games that I have played use the touch screen for menu control or because the vita lacks the L2/R2 buttons. Even then though, touch controls makes some things more convenient to use.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Who else would get the Vita TV? I would love for that to come out here. It'd a nice holiday gift for myself.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Who else would get the Vita TV? I would love for that to come out here. It'd a nice holiday gift for myself.
We will most likely see the Vita TV in the West, because Sony was actually surprised in how people were interested in it. Now, it is just a matter of finding the right time to release it.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Right. Business wise, it wouldn't really be smart to release it alongside the PS4. Probably. Then again, $100 isn't bad, at all. Matter of fact, if they promote PS4 and Vita TV as two things you NEED to have, it wouldn't really hurt or cannibalize the PS4, just compliment it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I only have 1 TV in the house, own a Vita, and I won't be getting a PS4 for awhile, so I probably won't get it for now. The only temptation for me is to play PSP/Vita games on my TV. I do really like the idea though and the price is great, it's just not something I need right now.
Right. Business wise, it wouldn't really be smart to release it alongside the PS4. Probably. Then again, $100 isn't bad, at all. Matter of fact, if they promote PS4 and Vita TV as two things you NEED to have, it wouldn't really hurt or cannibalize the PS4, just compliment it.
I'm pretty sure Sony is just trying to not confuse consumers too much right now, and make them stay focused on the PS4 at the start. Japan's not getting the PS4 until next year which is probably why the Vita TV is being released earlier there. Next year Vita TV is probably going to be advertised in the US when the Gaikai service is up and running to help promote everything in a bigger way.

Also gives the possibility that the Vita TV bundle will come with a Dualshock 4 instead of 3.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So, could I own the Vita TV and just play Vita games on it? I wouldn't be interested in buying the Vita itself.
Yeah. Most Vita games anyway. There's a compatibility list in Japanese on what will be available to play since some are too reliant on the front and rear touchscreen/touchpad. I'm pretty sure most Vita games here on out will make touch controls optional since they'll want Vita TV owners to be able to buy their game too.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah. Most Vita games anyway. There's a compatibility list in Japanese on what will be available to play since some are too reliant on the front and rear touchscreen/touchpad. I'm pretty sure most Vita games here on out will make touch controls optional since they'll want Vita TV owners to be able to buy their game too.
That's an interesting line to tread. For someone like me, I could care less about owning a Vita, and this thing would just solve my problems for 100 dollars less lol.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Vita TV is for the people who really aren't mobile. For me, I am extremely mobile, so it is nice to have something to bring along.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I mean, I only get to game two hours tops per day and that's assuming I don't use that time for other things. I'm out of the house all day, but with that being said...there's just more of a convenience of playing a Vita game on your TV for 100 dollars less rather than a small screen.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
*sigh* Too bad there's not a good number of games for the Vita... which explains why I don't use my Vita that much. And I used to use it A LOT back then!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what are the good Vita games? Ones I can think of are Tearaway, Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden. Any more to add?

fitzawesome

Smash Rookie
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is great on the Vita. The Story mode suits the mobility of the system so well. My only gripe is that if you put the system into standby then the music goes earblisteringly loud when you resume it completely blanketing out the dialogue. Really wish they'd patch it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm currently compiling a list of games that might convince me to get a Vita, since hearing you can get them pretty cheap these days.

I never owned a PlayStation portable before, so whether they're PSP or vita games (or ps1 games even) doesn't really concern me. It helps if they're games I can't play anywhere else though.

As of right now I have: Persona 1, Persona 2, Persona 3, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and Tearaway.

Does anyone know of any good sources that might help me? Like a top 50 youtube video that includes PSP AND vita games?

Also do you need to have played previous Uncharted games to enjoy the vita one?

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm currently compiling a list of games that might convince me to get a Vita, since hearing you can get them pretty cheap these days.

I never owned a PlayStation portable before, so whether they're PSP or vita games (or ps1 games even) doesn't really concern me. It helps if they're games I can't play anywhere else though.

As of right now I have: Persona 1, Persona 2, Persona 3, Persona 4 Golden, Gravity Rush and Tearaway.

Does anyone know of any good sources that might help me? Like a top 50 youtube video that includes PSP AND vita games?

Also do you need to have played previous Uncharted games to enjoy the vita one?
I haven't checked to see if there's a video like that. PSP and Vita are good systems that hit a certain type of niche though, so they're not for everyone. I kind of genres do you like? I can list some of the games I would recommend that I've personally tried out myself.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I haven't checked to see if there's a video like that. PSP and Vita are good systems that hit a certain type of niche though, so they're not for everyone. I kind of genres do you like? I can list some of the games I would recommend that I've personally tried out myself.
I like RPGs and games like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape. I prefer games with a strong plot and characters.

That's one of the reasons the Persona seems so enticing to me, it appears to be the whole package.

I appreciate games with unique style and game mechanics too. That's why Gravity Rush and Tearaway caught my attention.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like RPGs and games like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape. I prefer games with a strong plot and characters.

That's one of the reasons the Persona seems so enticing to me, it appears to be the whole package.

I appreciate games with unique style and game mechanics too. That's why Gravity Rush and Tearaway caught my attention.
If you like AA and Zero escape, Danganronpa is an absolute must. The second game comes out fall as well. I'm going to assume you have a 3DS, so you won't need to get Zero Escape for Vita then. So for VNs, definitely get DR. By Chunsoft and very Zero-Escape-esque. Avoid googling the game due to spoilers being everywhere.

RPGs, I'd suggest Trails in the Sky. The second one is still being localized. Good classic style JRPG with good story. Both games will be offered on Steam though, so I wouldn't say it's an exclusive. If you're interested in strategy games, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics are really good and strong in the story and character department.

You already mentioned the Persona games. Just remember that there's P2:IS and P2:EP. Innocent Sin takes place first, so make sure you play it in order. The first Persona game (Persona 1) is pretty dated nowadays, but you might find it fun to see how the series started. Atlus usually does Persona sales every year, especially during the summer where it becomes half off. So hold off on buying all of them if you want until it happens.

Some good PS1 RPGs I would recommend would be Vagrant Story and Xenogears. If you played Xenoblade, Xenogears is worth checking out. Really different in terms of gameplay and story, but it's by some of the same staff. Any of the Final Fantasy games are worth getting if you never tried them out. Pretty much 1-10 are available for the Vita.

Metal Gear Solid 1 and the HD Collection are good games to look at. 1 and 3 are some of my favorite games just from the story.
It's worth it even if you might not think the gameplay would suit your style.

If you're into something weird and quirky, I'd look at Locoroco, Patapon, and Katamari Damacy. All are weird charming games, but have little to no story.

finalark

SNORLAX
Do we have word on if the Vita TV is getting a western release? I really just want P1-4, Corpse Party (sold my PSP right before these came out and really wanted to play them) and all of my old PSP games all on one box that I can play on my TV.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Do we have word on if the Vita TV is getting a western release? I really just want P1-4, Corpse Party (sold my PSP right before these came out and really wanted to play them) and all of my old PSP games all on one box that I can play on my TV.
Not yet. I wonder why it's taking so long. If we don't hear any news of it at E3, I'm going to assume they don't care about bringing it over.
It's a real shame that Sony had to even region lock it too.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not yet. I wonder why it's taking so long. If we don't hear any news of it at E3, I'm going to assume they don't care about bringing it over.
It's a real shame that Sony had to even region lock it too.
I really don't know why they feel like it will only catch on in Asia. Frankly, it's a $100 Vita. Sure, it might not be compatible with games that require extensive use of the touch pad but it lets me play PSP and Vita games on my TV, which is something I am more than willing to drop $100 on. Especially since I wanted to play through the entire Persona series this summer only do discover that with the acceptation of P2:EP they're all PSP/Vita exclusive.

I really don't know why they don't just let you play digital PSP and Vita games on PS3/4. Well, besides the fact that it would cut into PSP and Vita sales but still.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If you like AA and Zero escape, Danganronpa is an absolute must. The second game comes out fall as well. I'm going to assume you have a 3DS, so you won't need to get Zero Escape for Vita then. So for VNs, definitely get DR. By Chunsoft and very Zero-Escape-esque. Avoid googling the game due to spoilers being everywhere.

RPGs, I'd suggest Trails in the Sky. The second one is still being localized. Good classic style JRPG with good story. Both games will be offered on Steam though, so I wouldn't say it's an exclusive. If you're interested in strategy games, Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics are really good and strong in the story and character department.

You already mentioned the Persona games. Just remember that there's P2:IS and P2:EP. Innocent Sin takes place first, so make sure you play it in order. The first Persona game (Persona 1) is pretty dated nowadays, but you might find it fun to see how the series started. Atlus usually does Persona sales every year, especially during the summer where it becomes half off. So hold off on buying all of them if you want until it happens.

Some good PS1 RPGs I would recommend would be Vagrant Story and Xenogears. If you played Xenoblade, Xenogears is worth checking out. Really different in terms of gameplay and story, but it's by some of the same staff. Any of the Final Fantasy games are worth getting if you never tried them out. Pretty much 1-10 are available for the Vita.

Metal Gear Solid 1 and the HD Collection are good games to look at. 1 and 3 are some of my favorite games just from the story.
It's worth it even if you might not think the gameplay would suit your style.

If you're into something weird and quirky, I'd look at Locoroco, Patapon, and Katamari Damacy. All are weird charming games, but have little to no story.
Thanks.

I saw a HD remake of Final Fantasy X and X-2 came out recently. I remember watching my cousin play X back in the day, key word being watching, so I never experienced it myself.

Also I don't think Xenogears is an option, it's not released in Europe from what I can tell.

Last edited:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I have been going mad since I lost my Vita. Lots of games I want to finish on this console. I hope they can top the Borderlands 2 bundle.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
You don't want the slim Vita like the one included with Borderlands, the screen is yellow and gross. I bought one on ebay and in less than a week of owning it I deiceded to get the OLED model even though that one doesn't have the USB chargng port.

Anyway I think Sony should release a software update that adds volume controls to the PS icon button menu:

It totally makes no sense that the regular volume control isn't there even though music volume is. Sony is practically trolling. The volume buttons on the Vita aren't even that easy to reach. But once this feature is added my 1000 model PSVita would be complete.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Does anyone know of a good screen protector for the original version of the Vita?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Last edited:

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Vita makes me glad I got the OG model. Why does Sony release nice handhelds, then crappier plastic versions later (the psp did this, too)

Lol. >.>

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Vita makes me glad I got the OG model. Why does Sony release nice handhelds, then crappier plastic versions later (the psp did this, too)

Lol. >.>
I still say PSP 2000 was probably the best. 3000 could've been, but the ghosting issues here and there hurts it iirc.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I still say PSP 2000 was probably the best. 3000 could've been, but the ghosting issues here and there hurts it iirc.

Yeah I can't speak for the 2000, but I went from launch to 3000 and it felt massively de-graded. My friend got the new Vita, and traded it in to get the older model. It just feels like a toy.

Top Bottom