• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
That feel when playing sackboy in a ffa and there's another sackboy

and you just know it's a race to lvl 3

also, what about them, smooth criminal?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If you set the ap gain in a match to low or high, will parappa's jukebox move (down+circle) change at all with it?
Yes it does. It always gives 35 AP per box with normal gain, and it gives somewhere around 70 at high gain and 15-20 at low gain.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
and we got our first upcoming patch!

A new item, Medusa’s Gaze, has been added to the game
View Invites has been added to the Party Bar Menu
Voice chat icon added to loading screens
AI logic enhancements
Network performance improvements
Issue where players were stuck with a different character than the one picked has been addressed
Issue with matchmaking in regards to player skill has been addressed
Overall improvements to network connectivity
Sackboy changes
Level 1 Super - Increase cost from 100 to 150 AP
Level 2 Super - Increase cost from 325 to 400 AP
Level 3 Super - Increase cost from 600 to 750 AP
Jam Session (Neutral Triangle) - Reduced AP generation from 25 down to 10 AP
Cakeinator (Neutral Circle) - Reduced AP generation from 25 down to 20 AP

in other news, here's a livestream showing Mew2King learning how to play.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wow, thats quite a massive Sackboy nerf actually. The Jam/Cake nerfs were definitely needed, but I dont think they needed to increase the AP cost on ALL his supers, just decrease his Level 3's length so he cant get 9 kills with one level 3 in a FFA and I think hed be fine. Its not like his level 1 is all that powerful, and his level 2 was only good as a counter super and against opponents if they were all grouped up, so I dont think those needed any tweaking. Besides, with the Jam/Cake nerf, hes going to be gaining AP slower anyway, so I dont see why they would need to increase all the AP costs.

Regardless though, this will definitely make Sackboy less dominant, but regardless he still has the best level 3 in the game, which even for its cost should make 1 level 3 = insta win even in FFAs most of the time, which imo was the main problem with Sackboy (outside of Jam/Cake). Even other level 3s like Kratos', while fantastic, could eventually be surpassed by good play. Sackboys just gives SO MUCH MORE than any other character can really pull off without heavily outplaying him.

Also, Sackboy was a problem in FFAs and 2v2s, not so much in 1v1s, since in 1v1s it is almost impossible to get level 3, and outside of that (and stupid meter gain which was fixed) he wasnt a problem, meaning he was balanced in 1v1. So basically, they nerfed him in 1v1 really hard by making his level 2 cost so muchm, as it was his best super for 1v1s.

And I dont see why they wouldnt nerf Kratos a bit, that guy has been hands down considered the best character since release xD. Like, he pretty much needs his AP gain cut in half if hes gonna have that long of range, that much comboability, and that safety all together lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
as fat princess i don't have much problems with kratos as long as i cover myself with a fireball and keep blocking

reduce his mobility and options... with good defense!!!!! hehehe

this is speaking from 1v1 though

man sackboy is gonna be trash in 1v1 now :p

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I main fat peach aswell, whats your psn

i think you added me

Spud of Doom

Smash Rookie
Hi people. Coming back from inactive lurker-land. I'm considering picking this up early next year and was just looking for some opinions on how it stacks up as a competitive game. Comments on all of 1v1, 2v2, ffa are welcome.

I figured smashboards would be the perfect place to ask, but it seems this is the only topic about the game on the whole site. Any input would be appreciated though.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Hi people. Coming back from inactive lurker-land. I'm considering picking this up early next year and was just looking for some opinions on how it stacks up as a competitive game. Comments on all of 1v1, 2v2, ffa are welcome.

I figured smashboards would be the perfect place to ask, but it seems this is the only topic about the game on the whole site. Any input would be appreciated though.
From what I've played 2v2 and FFA are the most enjoyable modes, especially 2v2, but 1v1 is fun too, as it allows you to better focus on combos. For example, it'd be harder to do some of Dante's cancel stuff if you've got people fighting around you. I enjoy the fact that characters can play varied roles depending on whether it's 1v1, 2v2, or FFA; it certainly adds some variety.

It seems like it could be more competitive in the long run compared to something like Brawl, if you mean in a showing at events and tournaments way.

I've not tried ranked or quick match online yet, so I don't know what it's like on there, but the private matches I've played have played really really well.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Wooow that's ridiculous

they're only nerfing sackboy?
Sackboy is the only character in the roster who has obvious, glaring issues. His AP gain combined with his low AP super threshold is outrageous. Throws hardly do anything to remove his meter because they're based off a percentage of your real AP. He has the lowest super requirements out of the entire roster, which makes it incredibly difficult to stop him from getting a level three in teams or free-for-all. That's nine free kills right there. When it comes to other characters, there are some questionable design choices that are open to debate, but Sackboy is the only character that actually needs rebalancing at present.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^ This. I main PaRappa and I can easily get 130+ off pretty much any hit that doesnt cause them to get knocked away.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Kratos didn't get 6-8 kills for free in FFA or 4 kills for free in teams for just his level 3.

These nerfs are necessary just for the ladder. Kratos had nothing on Sackboy in teams or FFA.

STEM

Smash Cadet
Honestly I think that they should've made it so that any combination of these to be true
A) You move faster in those bubbles
B) You don't respawn in them
C) The timer is shorter

Other than that, the AP should stay the same for his supers and his cake should get less AP. His Jam Session should stay the same, it has a ridiculously long start up time.
People need to learn how to throw. I almost exclusively play teams so I always make sure my partner knows to throw sackboys/others going for level 3's, but I can see how this could be a problem in FFA where people hit you while you chase sackboy.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Lol, Kratos was just as bad as Sackboy, both were undeniably the 2 best. And Kratos is dumb in 2v2 and FFA cuz he hits so far so fast and is so safe, and when comboing in groups, his already insane meter build is easily doubled by catching more people in you massive chain swings. Sackboy and Kratos are both pretty even in overall dominance in FFA, Sackboy prob a bit better in 2v2, and Kratos noticeably better in 1v1 (and now with this Sackboy definitely isnt top tier in 1v1s anymore). Like, Kratos isnt broken (neither was Sackboy though), but those two were the best, no doubt.

Also, finished the first season ranked #31 :D

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
People need to learn how to throw. I almost exclusively play teams so I always make sure my partner knows to throw sackboys/others going for level 3's, but I can see how this could be a problem in FFA where people hit you while you chase sackboy.
Even in 2v2s or 1v1s, Sackboy's zoning is easily the best in the game. He has little problem avoiding grabs and punishing whiffs with a quick 100+ AP combos. Grabs help, but only so much. Especially if they aren't just moronically tossing out cakes.

Lol, Kratos was just as bad as Sackboy, both were undeniably the 2 best. And Kratos is dumb in 2v2 and FFA cuz he hits so far so fast and is so safe, and when comboing in groups, his already insane meter build is easily doubled by catching more people in you massive chain swings. Sackboy and Kratos are both pretty even in overall dominance in FFA, Sackboy prob a bit better in 2v2, and Kratos noticeably better in 1v1 (and now with this Sackboy definitely isnt top tier in 1v1s anymore). Like, Kratos isnt broken (neither was Sackboy though), but those two were the best, no doubt.

Also, finished the first season ranked #31 :D
I'd agree if Kratos' level 3 guaranteed kills in the way that Sackboy's did.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Good Kratos players will still get at least 5 kills out of level 3, but usually they just use 2s and 1s. And I agree, Sackboys Level 3 is better (ive always said it was the best level 3) but outside of supers, where Kratos is still great, hes the best character at safely building meter, which highly makes up for that. Sure, he doesnt have that completely stupid level 3 like Sackboy, but hes better than Sackboy at pretty much everything else, and with his meter gain and safety, he'll build more, AND deny more meter than Sackboy will in most match ups, meaning not only will Kratos have more chances to kill, but his enemies will have less.

Also, building level 3s is dangerous against good players, as almost every time someone surpasses Level 2 and keeps building meter, people prioritize them almost every time, and will tech chase hardcore with throws, which at that meter, one throw is a loss of around 80-100 ap.

And btw, Im not saying Sackboy is bad by any means, Im just saying that Kratos is just as good as him, if not overall slightly better.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I disagree on a few points, but I suspect that's because I've played far more skilled Sackboy players than skilled Kratos players. My only real problem with Kratos has always been his insane meter building and the risk:reward imbalance on a few of his attacks.

Sackboy... he just feels ridiculous. He can erect a pretty solid wall, complete with two reflectors and a teleport, if needed. Has legit set-ups for his level 1, and his level 2 and 3 supers don't need them; they pretty much guarantee the kills. Has two long range projectiles that linger on screen and build great meter, even when guarded. Even when you actually get through his wall, he has relatively high AP generating combos. All of this together just puts him on an entirely different level than Kratos to me.

But like I said, I need to play more skilled Kratos players. His level 3 has never been anywhere near as threatening to me, and the fact that he's required to approach me has always made me slightly more comfortable fighting him.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Sackboy is the only character in the roster who has obvious, glaring issues. His AP gain combined with his low AP super threshold is outrageous. Throws hardly do anything to remove his meter because they're based off a percentage of your real AP. He has the lowest super requirements out of the entire roster, which makes it incredibly difficult to stop him from getting a level three in teams or free-for-all. That's nine free kills right there. When it comes to other characters, there are some questionable design choices that are open to debate, but Sackboy is the only character that actually needs rebalancing at present.
Sackboy needed some re-balancing, yes, but they did it the wrong way. They just made it more painfully difficult to get his still stupidly over-powered level 3, rather than just addressing the problem itself. Reducing Jam Session to a 10 ap gain, 2/5 of its original, while also increasing the numbers required for his supers, greatly hinders this move and sackboy's over-all range game. Sackboy is already mediocre at close-range, his best combo starter is a telegraphed and unsafe move, forward triangle, and his only other reliable way to get any solid ap besides grabbing is out of his down circle, but it's rare to land that on someone while also being close enough to convert it. Cakeinator is also one of his most prominent combo finishers, which upon nerfing, effectively reduces the ap gain from most of sackboy's combos.

It's just a complete over-nerf, while also completely walking around the glaring issue which is what's making sackboy still "good." It's like if nintendo took iceclimbers and nerfed all of their kill moves, but still let them chain grab.

STEM pretty much had the right idea. They should have kept sackboy the way he was, but simply make his lvl 3 less stupidly good.

Edit: Also, I believe that nerfing jam session is a bit is called for, it's really just the heavily increased super requirements that are getting me. Sackboy's walling ability is really good, so it's understandable to nerf that a bit to encourage sackboy players to approach more, but it's also just the nature of his playstyle to wall/camp so I still believe it's a bit much. Also, Kratos waaay more overpowered of a character than sackboy, sackboy just has extremely good supers and the ability to camp enough to get them.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nah, Kratos isnt that far ahead of Sackboy, theyre actually both pretty similar in how dominant they are, just both for completely opposite reasons lol.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Been wondering, you buy this game you also get the Vita version.

Do they share trophies, or 2 different sets?

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Got the game yesterday, been playing Sly (loved him in the beta, still love him, his tech chase game is so fun) and Spike, who I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around still.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask a question about Sly if anyone knows, there's a cane attack following neutral square that takes an AP orb from the opponent, how do you do this move specifically?

EDIT: Oh, it's from when I hit behind, holy **** counter is EVEN BETTER

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Been wondering, you buy this game you also get the Vita version.

Do they share trophies, or 2 different sets?
Two different sets.

Alright then, guys. Let's talk about the elephant in the room. How would we adjust Kratos? I think they should make some of his moves easier to punish on whiff or block.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Cut his meter gain and make supers cost more. Hes meant to be a hyper pressure character, but he just gets waaaay too much for how safe, fast, and long range he is. Hed be much more balanced if he had like, half his AP gain taken away lol.

@Yars: Spike is like my favorite character to play as, in fact, just an hour ago, my brother and I were playing online, me Spike, him Kratos, and we had a 9 game winning streak. We were like, hey, lets stop at 10, then for our 10th game we went up against a Raiden and Jak. Somehow, my brother played terribly and ended up losing all 3 of his stocks when I still had 3, Jak had 3, and Raiden had 2 (I got one stock off him early in the game). I went balls out mode, throwing around bananas everywhere like a mad man, and in the end, came out winning. :D

Also, if you need any tips, just ask! But make sure you use tons of forward triangle and level 2 air down circle.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Also, if you need any tips, just ask! But make sure you use tons of forward triangle and level 2 air down circle.
Yeah, those two moves are really good, I just have a problem repeatedly using moves that are subpar (do that **** in Brawl alllllllll the time) adding those more to my game helped. I'm definitely getting the hang of Sly and all the options he's got but I'm still a little lost with Spike. I mostly stick to his level 1 for kills, but not matter what super I use, I have a way hard time killing with Spike.

Any help for that?

B0NK

Smash Lord
Alright then, guys. Let's talk about the elephant in the room. How would we adjust Kratos? I think they should make some of his moves easier to punish on whiff or block.
This is all I would change, specifically his neutral Square.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They say this game was built with combos in mind but I find that unless the character was made to be combo-centric (Dante, Raiden), it's really hard to chain more than 2 moves together. The only one I can do consistently is Ratchet's side square into mash side Triangle.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
is stocks the standard? or kills?
For 1v1s those are exactly the same lol. But Id say probably stock cuz then it carries over to doubles as well. And theres been debate on whether or not it should be 2, 3, or 4 stock. 4 stock fits the game better, but matches will be waaaay too long in 4 stock. 3 stock is the least wanted as some characters get an instant win off of level 3, and 2 stock is liked due to shorter games and the fact that it nerfs level 3 insta wins by allowing wins off 2 lower specials (or in some cases a really good level 2) while still allowing level 3 to be worth it for some characters. Also, Time mode is really being considered as well, probably 4 or 5 mins.

This game really needs a timer on stock/kill mode, would make the decision a no brainer :/

I lean towards 3 stock though. With these Sackboy nerfs, he usually shouldnt be getting a level 3 against a competent opponent, and no other character has a guaranteed 3 kills off level 3.

Yeah, those two moves are really good, I just have a problem repeatedly using moves that are subpar (do that **** in Brawl alllllllll the time) adding those more to my game helped. I'm definitely getting the hang of Sly and all the options he's got but I'm still a little lost with Spike. I mostly stick to his level 1 for kills, but not matter what super I use, I have a way hard time killing with Spike.

Any help for that?
Spike is insanely good at mid range, close range, and has an easy time getting in from long range, so in order to balance that they toned down his kill potential, which is his weak side. HOWEVER, there are ways to kill with him. His Air Down Triangle (aDT) is a free Level 2, and Level 1, although youll need to work on the timing to get level 1 as you need to get your aDT right before landing. You can also RC Cancel (I actually discovered this :D) Where you have to use your RC car in the air (aNT) then reactivate it immediately. If done right during a short hop, your RC will go off and youll land lagless, but the timing also needs work. Another thing you can do, is if you read an opponent or they whiff a move or super and you arent sure if you have time to get in and super, do a fully charged FC (Forward Circle), which you can follow up with any super. Also, if you use your Level 2 aDC close to the ground, and catch someone in it close up, they will get combod by all 3 bananas that come out, which is a free level 1 or 2. If you dont have meter for a kill, you can also throw out a aFS after the first naner hit, which will connect in between banana 2 and 3, then go DS > DT > NSSS which is a 135 ap combo (So basically aDS > aFS > DS > DT > NSSS). Be noted though, in order to get level 1 off a grounded opponent after aDS, you need to be FAST

They say this game was built with combos in mind but I find that unless the character was made to be combo-centric (Dante, Raiden), it's really hard to chain more than 2 moves together. The only one I can do consistently is Ratchet's side square into mash side Triangle.
This game has a plethora of combos, I have no idea what youre talking about. You can name any character and I can give you at least one combo for that character that is 5 hits or more.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This game has a plethora of combos, I have no idea what youre talking about. You can name any character and I can give you at least one combo for that character that is 5 hits or more.[/QUOTE]

I never said they didn't exist. I meant it was hard to pull off with twitch timing.

Top Bottom