• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure you can invite friends and do private matches. And to be fair, Brawl didn't have a one-on-one mode either.

Here is a Fat Princess combo I came up with half an hour ago. It's pretty easy and builds 50% meter. I plan on maining her and using good Cole and Big Daddy as secondaries.
No excuse for a game created by people who know a thing or two about fighting games. I expect this to be patched in later, but this ain't Brawl. I expect a match making system from Superbot.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

A couple of screenshots I took of the Vita version. The amount of visual fidelity they were able to preserve between console and handheld is incredible.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
At first I thought that was the PS3 version upscaled to 1080p, which would've explained the minor choppiness, but that's still very impressive for a handheld game.
Yeah, whoever is responsible for the port really raised the bar in respect to other Vita titles. All of the background mayhem is completely intact, and the game never dips below 60 FPS. It puts the Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 port to shame.

So, who's everyone using so far? I'm alternating between Fat Princess and Big Daddy.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Personally, and God forbid considering the place I'm getting this from, I actually liked GT's review of the game:

www.gametrailers.com/reviews/pd90cb/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-review

Yes, the final review score is a little low, but they were brutally honest about the game without sugar-coating it with new-release giggles, lending a more practical assessment of its current form.

It certainly does ask a few good questions, however. I thought Brawl's campaign wasn't particularly good, but for a game that boasts the power of the PS3 they really skimped out on opportunities for graphical excellence in that department. A few HD cinematics here and there could have easily put Subspace Emissary to shame, but as it stands they squandered the opportunity to set a higher standard for a first-party brawler. Furthermore, why *did* they leave characters like Spike at low-res? I can understand Parappa being a 2D cartoon like Game & Watch being appropriate, but a low-res 3D character? Why not give them a visual upgrade like Smash Bros. did for the vast majority of its cast? You would think it only logical for a console that tries to push itself as the most visually powerful console available to exert that privilege whenever it can.

But I digress: I'm reserving final judgment until we see this game being hosted at say, a CEO tournament, or even possibly EVO 2013. If there's anyone who can make this game look interesting and fun to play, it's the competitive gamers, so let's see what they dig up on it.

Elen

Smash Lord
Haven't seen any decent combos for this game yet, so I decided to upload a few myself! The first one is Dante and Raiden. The second is Nariko. So far the highest AP build I've been able to get is 150 (which is 1 level one bar, so not too bad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_esiXUrM6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD84nR6NmjY

Not sure how I feel about the game competitively, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be very lacking in the 1v1 department, which guarantees the tournament scene would be small. It's a shame, just a few tweaks and I think it could have been really great.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well I for one got the game and have been loving it. So far been using PaRappa, Spike, Sweet Tooth, and Sackboy mostly, but I have everyone at least to rank 10 with PaRappa at 124, Spike 94, Sweet Tooth 76, and Sackboy 71.

Elen

Smash Lord
Got the game. Pretty disappointed. Game feels like it's half done or something, did this really have 3 years of development? This is not worth 60$ lol. Well not sure if this is going to be competitive, but if it is I'll be using Dante. I found a 133 AP combo with him if anyone wants to see- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDWwkiNz1JU&feature=youtu.be
Yeah, I completely agree. Also, that's a solid Dante combo, best I've seen yet. I'm wondering is 150 AP is just intended to be the maximum build from one combo since it's exactly a level 1 bar. Nariko is the only character I've found with one that high so far though.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
PaRappa has a combo that goes to 160 ap. He also might have an infinite, as you can NC > NSx2 > DS > NC, rinse repeat. Ive only been able to get the regrab twice in a row, but I assume its cuz Im bad at timing it. Theres a really small time frame to get the regrab though.

Elen

Smash Lord
PaRappa has a combo that goes to 160 ap. He also might have an infinite, as you can NC > NSx2 > DS > NC, rinse repeat. Ive only been able to get the regrab twice in a row, but I assume its cuz Im bad at timing it.
That settles that then. Can you explain that input differently, I'm not sure what those would stand for in this game xD

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Neutral Circle > Neutral Square x2 > Down Square > Neutral Circle

Heres a vid of someone doing the grab twice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDOqPYe3tWo

Like I said, Ive only been able to get it twice as well, so I dont know if its because something stops you from being able to do it more, or if its just im bad at it. And it doesnt need to be in the corner like in that vid btw.

Elen

Smash Lord
Neutral Circle > Neutral Square x2 > Down Square > Neutral Circle

Heres a vid of someone doing the grab twice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDOqPYe3tWo

Like I said, Ive only been able to get it twice as well, so I dont know if its because something stops you from being able to do it more, or if its just im bad at it. And it doesnt need to be in the corner like in that vid btw.
I watched a demonstration at some point where they showed how combos worked and that they eventually had an auto drop point. I wonder if the grab resets that or not. Thanks for sharing, I'll test it out tomorrow.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Played ps all stars for the first time today with zzshy, he ***** me but I love cole.
Haha ggs dude, youre already getting good. I still cant believe you were able to figure out that like, 70 ap combo into your level 1 in your first game with him xD

And the fact that you were able to pull it off pretty consistently was good too.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
found a sick as hell sackboy combo

>triangle (air), land, ^triangle, ^square, >triangle, circle

gives 140 ap which puts you over 1 meter, 3 of these combos gives you 2 meter and 4 puts you right under 3 meters

you can even set this up with stun trap into air grab, then tech chasing with the first part of the combo

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Cool, tested that out. I just realized i coud just square, square, into up sqare-triangle> into cake too. Lol that shoryu uis slow XD

What do you mean as airgrab though?

Krusiv

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know if there's an AP-gain cap on combos? If not I can see 1v1 getting stale very quickly once everyone learns a combo that builds a bar and combos into super.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Does anyone know if there's an AP-gain cap on combos? If not I can see 1v1 getting stale very quickly once everyone learns a combo that builds a bar and combos into super.
It seems that the system has an infinite prevention system that kicks in when a combo breaks 100 AP. Your opponent automatically breaks free. That being said, it's still possible to exceed 100 AP in a single combo by triggering an AP burst, typically with a triangle attack.

leffen

Smash Champion
I got this game yesterday, and man is it ****ing ***. Its really bad >_>

I lab'd it up with some dante combos. I'm pretty sure I found the best there is, havent seen anyone else use them or on YT.

Main combo does 156 damage of a standing square, and can also be done of counter, and allows you to switch sides if you want to. This combo does however not work on Big daddy (FOR SOME REASON LOL), so for him you need to use a different combo that requires a bit harder excecution.

I've found a 131 AP combo off his Down circle (air only, but you can hit with the fireball).
From grab (uthrow) I can get 103 AP (doesnt work at all against some characters)

Let me know if you guys find anything better, although sadly I dont think it goes much further because of the awful infinite prevention system.
After every good combo your opponent is invincible for 2 seconds >______>, aka there is no such thing as pressure, just combos and neutral game. Tech chasing is never worth it since you lose ~60AP by not triggering the prevention system.

I think dante is gonna be low mid in singles and top tier in teams. His supers are god awful but hes really good at handling 2 players because of his mobility, good range and since he can cancel everything making him almost impossible to double team.

solidus51

Smash Rookie
hey guys you should post in allstararena.com forums its just like smashboards but more dedicated to allstars oh add my psn for 1v1s

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
Yeah the infinite prevention system ruins everything, and 1v1s in this game are very campy. Everyone runs away lol. I've found that Dante's forward square(first hit) can link to the neutral square combo and can lead to a easy 144 AP combo, not sure if you can do any more with this thanks to the annoying prevention. I also was able to do another combo that gives 157 AP though I think this what you found leffen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXeDO66kMXc&feature=youtu.be

Krusiv

Smash Rookie
hey guys you should post in allstararena.com forums its just like smashboards but more dedicated to allstars oh add my psn for 1v1s
I would definitely use that site if they had separate areas to discuss each character. It seems like everything is bunched together in the "General" forum right now. :/

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Broke top 100 on the leaderboards going 100% PaRappa, bwahaha!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found a glitch which breaks Fat Princess (in the not work kind of way, not the OP kind).

Her minions can get frozen and she'll be unable to summon them for the rest of the match if whe summons them just as she hits the ground. I don't know where to go with this info so a fix can be made

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So basically the same timing as the blast it up cancel for parappa? That sounds terrible, especially cuz I spam Fireballs and Sword Dives nonstop with her lol.

Also, since it was never answered:
Cool, tested that out. I just realized i coud just square, square, into up sqare-triangle> into cake too. Lol that shoryu uis slow XD

What do you mean as airgrab though?
Sackboy's Aerial Forward Square (aFS) is an air grab.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I found a glitch which breaks Fat Princess (in the not work kind of way, not the OP kind).

Her minions can get frozen and she'll be unable to summon them for the rest of the match if whe summons them just as she hits the ground. I don't know where to go with this info so a fix can be made
First thing I noticed when i was gonna try out the combos listed here. It´s even easy to redo, seems to be on certain spaces on the ground where they got stuck for me. Seen 2 similar glitches to that. Heihatchis lv2 bear fails to disapear and gets stuck is the first. The second is the sight from the airstrike calling item being still there without disapearing, while I could do regular attacks.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Btw, Ive come to find out that without assistance of a wall (not a wallbounce, just a wall), PaRappas NC > NS > DS > FS > US (Hold) > NC > NSx2 combo (145 ap) works on some characters, and not others. Imma test which ones it does and doesnt work on. Right now I know it doesnt work on Jak and Toro, but it does work on Cole, so Im assuming it has to do with how big the characters are, as Jak is pretty short and Toro is hella small, but Cole is pretty normal height wise.

Top Bottom