• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I love being naturally smarter than the average player.

It was a ranked FFA on Stowaways. Got my Lv. 3 with Nariko mid-match and activate it. I kill them all quickly. When they respawn Sackboy pulls out his teleport gate and starts running. As soon as I chase him to a wall I jump and grab him from his gate cause I knew he was gonna use it. I killed the other two players again at the same time.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Whooo finally own the game.
First day playing online. Got to red belt.

My pro-rappa 2 gud.
Singling out weak players in free for alls for AP works pretty nicely. <3

Gashi needs to team with me. :>

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
Due mostly to the pedigree of some of the development veterans on SuperBot’s staff, PlayStation All-Stars plays more like a fighting game than you may expect, and is more complicated, nuanced and technical than Smash Bros

-ign review.

eeeek

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Due mostly to the pedigree of some of the development veterans on SuperBot’s staff, PlayStation All-Stars plays more like a fighting game than you may expect, and is more complicated, nuanced and technical than Smash Bros

-ign review.

eeeek
Lol, noooooope.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I agree with that lol.

San Francisco is my favorite stage. Although the bubbles piss me off sometimes, but Hazards off fixes that and makes it amazing.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
This games too fun lol.
Jak, Dan, Toro and Sackboy are my favourites.

It actually took me a while to realise how good Sackboy's projectiles were XD. I was mostly using his Grabinator and electric panel attacks.

My favourite stage is probably Sandover, just due to my love of Jak and Daxter and the fact I can nap camp at the sides with Toro, but Paris, Dojo, Time Station and Blackrock are awesome as well.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Lost my Brown Belt playing with Sackboy.

He DID NOT need such a hard nerf. He was only dominating because all these dumb players paid ZERO attention to him while he spammed cakes and jelly balls. All Superbot had to do was increase the meter required for his Level 3.

The fact that NOTHING has been done about Kratos, Sly, and Drake is asinine.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Lost my Brown Belt playing with Sackboy.

He DID NOT need such a hard nerf. He was only dominating because all these dumb players paid ZERO attention to him while he spammed cakes and jelly balls. All Superbot had to do was increase the meter required for his Level 3.

The fact that NOTHING has been done about Kratos, Sly, and Drake is asinine.
I don't know if Sackboy's nerf was too hard or not, but I know that Kratos and Drake do not deserve nerfs. Drake has an annoying barrel, and Kratos has an annoying lock-on chest-bump. But neither really tip the scale on fairness. Kratos's side attack is TERRIBLE. It can be easily blocked or dodged (and then badly punished), and even if it does connect it only gives 30 AP (and sometimes gives the OPPONENT 20 AP). You cannot combo out of it, in fact it completely destroys a combo possibility and flings the opponent out way further than a Kratos player would want them. As for sly, I personally have a problem with his counter and the duration of a few of his electroshock moves, but AP generation and supers for him are fine.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wut. Drake DEFINITELY deserves nerfs, he completely ***** like, a fourth of the cast to a point where at high levels, its almost impossible to beat him. As for Kratos, he doesnt need them as bad, but imo he does need to have his AP gain tuned down a bit. Only other characters aside from those two that i think need nerfs are Raiden and Sly; Raiden needs to not have 400 ways to combo into his supers, and and Sly's counter completely negates any and all forms of keepaway, while also being one of the best at keepaway AND being the most mobile in the game. He just generally makes games super campy and slow, while he slowly builds meter and almost completely stops the other person from gaining meter.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Played some yesterday in hope that Sackboy would have anything good left, and had literally players walking into my attacks. Wouldnt get a lv3 (if i did it was like 3 seconds left, but mostly i needed like 5 ap after time was over). Only got like 3hit combos or ungarantied followups (but that was rarely). Anyone knows if there is any good combos still left with him? I think 3 hits is not enough to be a good character when they need that ammount of meter even though the lv3 super is good (but has the movementspeed on the bubbles gotten a slight bit faster?!),

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Sly's counter completely negates any and all forms of keepaway, while also being one of the best at keepaway AND being the most mobile in the game. He just generally makes games super campy and slow, while he slowly builds meter and almost completely stops the other person from gaining meter.
I personally just ignore Sly players completely unless they're not paying attention.

That or grab tech chase them like hell if they're getting close to a level 3, but that goes for everyone with really dumb level 3's. Jax's is just insane honestly. ._.

Oh also Parappa's level 2 > Big daddys level 2.
A big daddy ended up popping his level 2 right as I came at him with the skateboards, Turns out the skateboard hitbox is disjointed and beats him first if you jump on em.

My skateboard neeeeeever stops.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I wouldn't charge a Big Daddy's Level 2, since if he was smart he would have used one of the BEES moves to beat the skateboard, pretty sure most/all level 2s can still be hit with supers.

I caught Raiden during his level 2 in my Monkey Net just the other day.

Also what Matador said.

Only got like 3hit combos or ungarantied followups (but that was rarely). Anyone knows if there is any good combos still left with him? I think 3 hits is not enough to be a good character
Sackboy has a combo that builds like 145 AP, Youtube and Shoryuken are your friends when looking for combos.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
It's better than brawl IMO. Not any where near as good as melee. Definitely rent it, see if it's your cup of tea.

:phone:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
How is this game overall? Specifically, how would you guys compare it to this one series they call, "Smash?"
It's better than brawl IMO. Not any where near as good as melee. Definitely rent it, see if it's your cup of tea.

:phone:
It doesn't even have half the depth that any of the smash games do. This shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Melee, imo. It's far too straight-forward and 1v1s suck too bad.

It's a fun game casually though. The online is pretty good overall, and the character roster is solid. No one feels super broken as of yet (though there are a few infinites and stupid-good strategies) nor does any character feel outclassed. The kill system is fine once you get used to it too. Just don't expect much out of the story mode or anything other than multiplayer.

Because all of the other modes suck.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That's odd that you say that it doesn't have any depth because I've heard from other sources that the game is less accessible (not as casual friendly) than the Smash series.

So is it really less accessible AND not as deep as the Smash series? That sounds really bad if true.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Its got good depth from what ive seen, not as much as melee, but more than Brawl.

And theyre adding in a timer in stock mode and stuff so 1v1s should be better now.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
That's odd that you say that it doesn't have any depth because I've heard from other sources that the game is less accessible (not as casual friendly) than the Smash series.

So is it really less accessible AND not as deep as the Smash series? That sounds really bad if true.
I can't really speak on that. Not to sound elitist or anything, but I can only guess what would be considered accessible for casual players. I would assume that it'd be pretty simple to get into PSABR though mainly because there's a button strictly for killing.

As far as I can tell, there's a low ceiling for the game's growth. The movement is far more restricted, there are some strategies that can't get any better than what they are (Raiden's infinite into lvl 1, Dante's bold cancels into super, Drake's wall loops, etc.), and the AP burst system caps combos pretty low. The stages aren't quite as complex, so versatility with a stagelist isn't really something I foresee. The big thing holding it back is the stiffer movement though. Most characters move through the air and on the ground at the same pace when they don't have the aid of their attacks. There aren't many jabs or pokes. Guarding is pretty impenetrable outside grabbing. Just a bunch of little things that kind of limit the game to me.

I could be wrong and a universal AT could be discovered tomorrow that flips the game upside down making it as deep as any traditional fighter out there. It's only weeks old. But from what I can tell, it doesn't have the depth nor will it have the longevity of any of the smash games, imho.

@ Z'zgashi: That's a good start, but there are a lot of issues with 1v1s that need to be addressed. Some characters are just leagues more capable in that mode than others because of strategies that shut down most of the other characters (Evil Cole's charge hand thingy to lvl 1 or Ratchet's grab to lvl 1). Others have supers that clearly were made to bust up combat balls in FFAs or 2v2s (Jak's lvl 2, Nariko's level 1) rather than attack a suspecting opponent. Some supers just have no purpose in 1v1s as well (Parappa's, Spike's, or Heihachi's lvl 3) It just feels like it wasn't designed with 1v1 in mind to me.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Brawl is more "accessible to casuals" because casual scrubs don't realize how complex all of smash really is.

From a competitive standpoint, it's nowhere near brawl, and I'd laugh if anyone tried to put it next to melee

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Some supers just have no purpose in 1v1s as well (Parappa's, Spike's, or Heihachi's lvl 3)
Spike's can punish pretty well (Controllable level 2 supers especially) and it's easy to build (because of this you could just go into your level 2) DT is a nice confirm for it too.

But yeah, playing 1v1s with my friend and the fact that 1v1 isn't even an option anywhere online, you can tell characters weren't designed so much for 1 on 1s

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Brawl is more "accessible to casuals" because casual scrubs don't realize how complex all of smash really is.

From a competitive standpoint, it's nowhere near brawl, and I'd laugh if anyone tried to put it next to melee
Well to be fair I'm not sure if there's another fighting game out there that truly encompasses the "easy to pick up, yet difficult to master" philosophy better than the Smash series. I really can't think of a better example.

But based on what everyone's saying I think I'm going to pass on this one. I'm just not a huge fan of the killing system so I knew if people weren't blown out of the water by it then I probably wouldn't enjoy this game.

Thanks everyone. :)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Spike's can punish pretty well (Controllable level 2 supers especially) and it's easy to build (because of this you could just go into your level 2) DT is a nice confirm for it too.

But yeah, playing 1v1s with my friend and the fact that 1v1 isn't even an option anywhere online, you can tell characters weren't designed so much for 1 on 1s
All lvl 3 supers cancel level 2 supers though. And in 1v1, with all that time you've spent building for level 3, your opponent gets half a dozen opportunities to level 1 you for the same reward. And if they manage to grab you while you're close to level 3? You give up at least 70 or 80 AP to them. It's not worth the risk, imo.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I'd say it's both, from what I've played.

I only played the demo, but you figure out what you should do with your character in 5 minutes because of how the kill system works. Since you only have 3 killing moves, you basically figure out which one is best for it's cost.

Someone mentioned longevity, and I think that's going to be the kicker. It's doing pretty awful in sales, so there isn't going to be a huge player base like Smash. It will also struggle to get a scene since there aren't a lot of people. Given, there are some dedicated fans.

Geez, it took 3 minutes for someone to die.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
All lvl 3 supers cancel level 2 supers though. And in 1v1, with all that time you've spent building for level 3, your opponent gets half a dozen opportunities to level 1 you for the same reward. And if they manage to grab you while you're close to level 3? You give up at least 70 or 80 AP to them. It's not worth the risk, imo.
I was talking about his level 1.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wish there was a way to chose which super you use like hold down square and R2 for a level one ect. so that way you get more choice in how you attack.

Top Bottom