• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Why so many dislikes? Smash fanboys are really butthurt by that? Grow up kids

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ As long as you will see a "this will be better than Smash Bros", quote, there will be always be many dislikers.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
My gamefaqs post reflecting o this controversy.
Sometimes, Sony just pisses me off. I mean what the hell were they thinking this week? it's as if they want this IP to fail. first there was the Facebook incident where they revealed Drake and Big Daddy the day before E3-and thus removed the surprise of seeng BD. no one really saw him coming, and even those that did expected Delta or Big Sister instead of a Bouncer. to put this in perspective, if Snake was reveled to be in Brawl before the trailer,it would have lost the shock that EVERYONE had from seeing him. that's pretty much what happened here.

then there was the moment when some *** at Sony decided to upload the trailer for the game on Youtube with ONLY super smash Bros.tags. needless to say, a lot of people were furious. not ust nintendo/smash fans,but just basic fans who were curious about this series,and those anticipating it. the result is a LANDSLIDE of negs,as the vid got over 2,000 negs in an hour.

what made this worse is because of this one f*** up, this will hurt the game commercially-and possibly critically as well. and it is so sad, because Superbot spent months giving tons of proof to say that this game is it's own beast and not a dupe,but because of this, this game wil now be labelled in everyone's minds as a Smash Bros. Clone. seriously Sony, show your games and Superbot some more f***ing respect.

T1000416

Smash Cadet
This game is not being made just because of SSB. There was also talk and demand of a Sony based fighter and now it is finally being brought to us. I for one am pretty happy and excited for it.

But about Big Daddy..... Look, I won't complain about the fact he's in the game. Bioshock is pretty damn great and so is the Big Daddy character. But, like someone before had also said, Sony/Superbot really should have revealed a more prominent third-party Playstation character. Big Daddy doesn't cut it. He is more recognizable as an Xbox character. If the trailer had revealed someone like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Cloud, Solid Snake, Laura Croft, Leon Kennedy, or even(as the rumors as stating) James Bond then the hype for this game could have gone through the roof. Sony missed a good opportunity to really sell this game to the hearts and minds of everyone they're trying to make it for.

Damn dat dislike bar is making us look like ****.

I myself think that this game won't be better than Smash bros. but I wouldn't dislike it because some guy would say that the game would be better than Smash bros or because it seems like a Smash Bros. rip off. This game isn't really a Smash bros. rip off. It may feel like Smash bros. but it plays differently.

I'm buying this game

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
There are actually a lot of Sony-owned franchises that could be represented in this game, like Siren, Demon's Souls, Dark Cloud, Jeanne d'Arc, MediEvil, Ratchet & Clank, Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, and Okage: Shadow King, just to name a few. Sony can make this a dream game come true if they rep the right franchises.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There are actually a lot of Sony-owned franchises that could be represented in this game, like Siren, Demon's Souls, Dark Cloud, Jeanne d'Arc, MediEvil, Ratchet & Clank, Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, and Okage: Shadow King, just to name a few. Sony can make this a dream game come true if they rep the right franchises.
And, of course, make it good.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
on a brighter nogte, looking at the gameplay vids shows that items spawn in set locations(usually playforms), so randomness is off the list.

does this mean we can (finally) have a game with legal item play?

Spire

III
BRoomer
I now believe you can have mob behavior even on the internet...or if not that, just a lot of dumb people.
And because of that, if the internet ever evolves to be used in a true direct democratic medium, accommodating the voices of any and every citizen willing to participate in a nationwide/worldwide forum, then a true internet mobocracy is possible as well.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The dislike bar was because they used Super Smash Bros as their tags.

People thought it was hilarious and started trolling the video

It was a grand ol' time

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, it's just funny that they are trying to put themselves apart from smash, and yet all their tags were about smash bros

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Or people who are Smash/Nintendo fans and have been hating on Sony Smash since day 1.
That could be true.
No, it's just funny that they are trying to put themselves apart from smash, and yet all their tags were about smash bros
That is also true. Even if they tried to make themselves stand alone, everyone would still see it as a Smash Bros. wannabe... and the Smash Bros. tags pretty much solidify that viewpoint.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, but it's extremely hard to believe that going into uploading this video, the discussion was "Let's make the tags about Super Smash!" As someone said here earlier, some idiot decided it would be a funny joke to do that. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a job right now. Rightfully so.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Counter Super? WTF and how?

So maining Nate.

Also, super tight of them to interconnect Vita and PS3. Playing online against one another no matter which system you have? Awesome.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Kendell mentioned how the community has reacted to things like Parappa's supers.

To be honest that earns some of my trust. He's went on about how Superbot as a whole wants to satisfy the Sony community with the roster and I can believe those words.

I just hope that ActiVision approves Crash and/or Spyro for the game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It's one thing to turn off items, but to turn off stage hazards too? Imagine some of the banned stages in Melee and Brawl that could be legal if hazards were turned off. Gotta give Sony credit on that one.

Also, I agree that Crash and Spyro would make great additions to the roster, seeing as they made their debut on the Playstation. Not only that, but Crash was originally the mascot for the Playstation as well.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Also, I agree that Crash and Spyro would make great additions to the roster, seeing as they made their debut on the Playstation. Not only that, but Crash was originally the mascot for the Playstation as well.
Gives Activision-Blizzard every right to overcharge for their use, making it not worth it for Sony.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am looking forward to this game esp since my fav game of all time (bioshock) is being represented.

One of the things people seem to argue about on this game is if it's a copy of super smash bros. The answer is yes it is, but the real question is if that's really a bad thing? The smash engine imo is now a gene of gaming just like first person shooter, rpg, 3rd person ect. smash just happens to be the game that stetted the trend

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I just now realized that we will get Ratchet & Clank.

Maybe the two or three times when I'm not playing Parappa I'll give them a shot

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Does Sony=Final fantasy? O.o

I know Final Fantasy is Square Enix. but all the console games have appeared on playsations, so if there is Final Fantasy characters in this I'M BUYING.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It has to be an appealing character. For the love of that is all holy, I hope they don't throw in Lightning. I'd rather prefer Cloud, Squall, Balthier, or Auron.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Gives Activision-Blizzard every right to overcharge for their use, making it not worth it for Sony.
Therein lies the problem.
It has to be an appealing character. For the love of that is all holy, I hope they don't throw in Lightning. I'd rather prefer Cloud, Squall, Balthier, or Auron.
I think Lightning's pretty appealing. I personally have no problem if they threw her in there, though given the choices, I'd rather they go with the one that pretty much everyone knows of; Cloud.

My personal choice for a Final Fantasy character, however, would be Adelbert Steiner from IX, but that's because I'm biased. :laugh:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I dunno if it's cause we're on SWF or what, but I figure Bioshock has a huge fanbase, and a lot of people would be excited to see him in.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I am looking forward to this game esp since my fav game of all time (bioshock) is being represented.

One of the things people seem to argue about on this game is if it's a copy of super smash bros. The answer is yes it is, but the real question is if that's really a bad thing? The smash engine imo is now a gene of gaming just like first person shooter, rpg, 3rd person ect. smash just happens to be the game that stetted the trend
The better question is will this game be good. It wasn't what I hoped it'd be when I first saw the gameplay, but I'm still being optimistic.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I dunno if it's cause we're on SWF or what, but I figure Bioshock has a huge fanbase, and a lot of people would be excited to see him in.
For one, he really doesn't have that much with Sony. It's a surprise, but not in a fun way. Also, he's rather boring.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I don't really play many videogames (not even Smash anymore) so I wouldn't know most characters I didn't already know.

If this Bioshock game's as big as it is then surely there's a reasonably sized fanbase in this forum.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's a pretty popular franchise, and it gets quite a bit of press. So I think Sony did make the right move including him. The problem was that he got leaked prior to E3.

Top Bottom