• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Melee and Brawl sold +7 million each under a shorter timespan. Problem?

The IPs play a big role in this. Smash Bros is really a different kind of beast. IPs like Mario and Pokemon are HUGE, way bigger than any Sony IP, which is why we need heavy hitters like Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, etc.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Melee and Brawl sold +7 million each under a shorter timespan. Problem?
You know you just proved my argument right?

(In case you need reminding, I was saying Smash started a success as a new IP. I am holding Sony Smash bros to the same standard.)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You know you just proved my argument right?
[/spoiler]
And then you failed to read the rest of his post. The IPs have a big deal in selling the amount they sold. Mario, Link, Samus and crew go WAY BACK. Our parents played and recognize these characters. People who don't even video game recognize these characters. They have been the faces of Nintendo longer than any other franchise. So it's only natural they would sell like crazy if they joined together in a mash up fighting game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
And then you failed to read the rest of his post. The IPs have a big deal in selling the amount they sold. Mario, Link, Samus and crew go WAY BACK. Our parents played and recognize these characters. People who don't even video game recognize these characters. They have been the faces of Nintendo longer than any other franchise. So it's only natural they would sell like crazy if they joined together in a mash up fighting game.
Here is his post.

Smash Bros. has established a big name for itself for being a great series of action/ party games. Battle Royale has not done any of that because it's a new IP. Most IPs will accumulate more sales down the road if they started off well like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
He is talking about Smash Brothers, not other series. The fact that the first two games in the series broke 5 million proves my point.

I can make the same argument for many other cross overs including the Marvel games and even the Sega ones with long standing memorable characters. But those games never break 2 million, if that. MvC3 only barely broke 1 million thanks to a lot of publicity and being at every major event and not having one for years. The racing game did well, but it was also one 4 different consoles and the PC.

The Nintendo series in the game helped, but it didn't make the game. Most cross overs don't do well. And not well enough to be the best selling game in their genre. Smash is successful for a different reason. I'll go more into it if anyone wants.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
This was something I was waiting to say but I wanted to wait. From the new info just posted, I can tell this game will not do very well. Why do you ask. Well.....

This is a game ender right here and can ruin the game's chances of success. Canceling has not helped games. In fact, as it has become more prominent in fighting games, their sales have gone down. Sales have been bad for a while.

Sony Smash Brothers, if it wants to rival Smash, needs to learn from Smash. It needs to find out why Smash was a success. Instead, they are looking at other fighting games which have all done poorly. Instead of trying to find a man who will rival Sakurai, they find people with "fighting game experience." As such, it will have fighting games sales rather than Smash Brothers sales. The most offensive part is this.

I believe they did take some tips from the ssb, there just putting there own spin to it. People where complaining it was to much LIKE smash this is the first time I seen the complete opposite. This is truly a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

News Flash, there is NO Battle Royale community. There hasn't been a game out. Communities are made from games coming out. I wouldn't had said there was a Kid Icarus community before the game even came out. For all you know, no one will want to play Battle Royale, let alone discuss it on message boards. This shows that they don't understand their game and don't know how to make it a success.

let me leave this here: http://community.us.playstation.com/community/games/fighting-general/playstation_all_stars_battle_royale?view=discussionsit's fairly active and I consider this a community.

ON SD:If Sudden Death is so defensive and bombs will drops and there is no way to tell if you will win or not, why don't you just try and kill him. You only need to hit him once.
answers in bold

That's why tiebreakers are made in a 1 stock, 3 minutes match, at least in Melee.

Anyway, I'm not seeing this game getting anywhere, the character cast better get an upgrade, because it sucks right now. The battle system looks clunky as hell still, and cancelling, ohhhhh boy, where's my MvC3 trainwreck.
only 8 characters have been revealed I am sure not even half has been shown.

First, your vector avatar sucks. Please don't use something so cliche. Be creative with it (everyone else in this thread has a good one).

really why bash someone avatar ?

The reason learning from Smash is important is Smash makes the money while the others don't. Usually the only games with a strong competitive focus and decent sales had prior games that usually didn't focus on that (Street Fighter, Starcraft). Smash makes the bacon. Since they aren't going in Smash's direction, no bacon.

SSB is one of my fav games of all time but I like where superbot is going with there game, there taking the core concept of ssb and putting there creative spin to it. It's one thing to copy a success then to make it your own.

answers in bold

DLC for characters would be kind of a bad idea within a game like this. Notably if some of the DLC characters are better then the initial roster. Hypothetically speaking, that could give someone an advantage over others, which can cause balance problems for both online and local multiplayer.
I believe DLC is confirmed to be happening, but I would not worry since I am sure Patching will be used if needed.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well as he said, "We don't have plans", meaning it's not 100%. Similar to Dark Souls.

But yeah as far as fighters go, I think you sort of choke the fighting community with DLC chars. I mean, it's those guys that are gonna be paying more for it unless a gamer is just some good ol fighting casual fan.

And for those that refuse to buy dlc chars, then you put them in a tough position on getting better in their game.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
I personally hate avatars that are memes (Ponies too). Having those sends the message that your "HURRR Ithe internet is SOOO lol." If it was shoop the whoop then it's rage comics now. At least put something you like up there.
Ehmm...

As long as the avatar is not offending/vulgar, we can put anything that we want...
Don't judge a book by its cover, read it instead...
I find it pretty funny that an "intellectual" person like you actually thinks like that...

"At least put something you like up there."

Hmm... interesting...

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far. I've got high hopes for this game. I don't expect many characters, though. Probably Smash 64 range.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
there already 8characters revealed so hopefully there is atleast 25 characters.

Spire

III
BRoomer
New characters will 100% guaranteed be added through DLC. This is Sony. They will milk this game as much as possible. A sequel would not be the primary means of adding new content. They'll expand the game tenfold through DLC first.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Anyone else notice how this game is advertised on this site? :troll:
dood. that is so hilarious. I ned to pay attentions to the ads here more, lol.

also a while back, people on Gamefaqs were discussing an image showing a T-body in an interview.

could be just a NPC, but some theorized it could be another character. i guessed ether Zidane from FF9 or Virginia from Wild ARMs.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
next 2 characters have been revealed-one is a no brainer, and the other one a bit of a surpise.

earlier, an article surfaced with an editor talking about they spotted a model of a Blonde-hared character with goggles(pretty obvious who.)

about an hour later another article confirmed that that same character and a certain little guy from a fighting game will be in this game. the article was taken down 30 minutes later.....

this pretty much confirms that the next 2 characters are:

and from the 2nd article..... this guy

http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/140650-toroletsparty.jpg

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@soviet prince:
I believe they did take some tips from the ssb, there just putting there own spin to it. People where complaining it was to much LIKE smash this is the first time I seen the complete opposite. This is truly a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Sony Smash is always going to be ridiculed for being Smash because, at it's core, it's Smash. It's a 4 player fighting game with characters from Sony. Replace it for Nintendo and you have Smash.

The problem with your claim is "putting your own spin on it," is not a recipe for success. When Halo came out, there were plenty of games that "put their own spin on it." It wasn't until Call of Duty that we saw a shooter do better than Halo. This still happens in MMOs and WoW is still king. The "spin on it," is not what makes the game sell. It's the core. Taking someone else's core and trying to do it differently is a recipe for disaster.

The flaw of where they are going is it wont create success. It's been tried before and this whole "our community" thing tells me they are using the wrong playbook. They are taking the playbook of "fighting games." But they have declined since the mid 90s. Part of taking from Smash is not copying the template (which is what Battle Royale is doing) but copying the idea. That idea is easy to pick up and play multiplayer. What they are using is tournament viability and the old mantra "This is for both casual and competitive players," which always falls flat on it's face.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
^ a major icon from the PS1 era who at one point in the 90s was the most popular game character behind Mario would cause disappointment for some.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
must be the only explanation. it turned into a bloodbath on Gamefaqs when it was shown she wasn't in( some people were arguing she should have been in instead of Drake....it wasn't pretty).

on the awesome news end,2 new characters will be shown at Comic-Con. along with Seth Killian working for them now and the EVO demo, this is great news for this game this month.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I'll be at Comic-Con so Ill probably hit up that panel if there's nothing else.

EDIT: The article fails to mention that Namco and Capcom are the companies hosting the panel and SuperBot is there to fill up 15 to 20-ish minutes of the 90 minute presentation.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion was more of a Clone of smash bros than this. I mean do the characters even fly farther the more damage they take? Aren't more of the stages closed off boxes? Do characters suffer that much of a penalty for falling off the one (or however many) floating island stage?
And doesn't the main mode only except KO's by way of using the characters Special move? If anything this is a clone of the Billy and Mandy Fighting game. Still pretty hype.
Am I wrong on any of this? Please correct me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The game is coming out in a few months and they are only showing off two more characters. That would only be 10. Worries me they might not have enough characters.

Top Bottom