• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing I'm thinking is that with the super moves being the only ones that KO that who is good and who is not will be based on who has the best supers. It seems like Kratos's are ehhh right now, and if that was the case, he wouldn't be that good. Compare this to Smash, where you have good characters will weak Final Smashes.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It also depends on building meter, if two supers are relatively the same then whoever has access to it faster has the advantage.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Microsoft is really pissed about this because they were developing one of their own games like this, waiting for E3 to showcase it as a big surprise and Sony got to break the news before 'em. I have insider info on it, here's a screenshot:

Everybody ALWAYS leave out Master Chief in favor of Master Chief in a possible crossover among Microsoft IPs.:mad::mad::mad:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Tier list would be...

Master Chief: Halo 1
Master Chief: Halo 2
Master Chief: Halo 3
Master Chief: Halo 4
Master Chief: Halo 1 re-mastered

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
lol I suppose Microsoft would have to make the first crossover FPS. Which sadly would be the most unique thing to happen to the genre in a long time...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Seems like Smash Brothers Brawl with less design space.

From what I took of the preview, each character will have only three ways to kill another. A special meter fills by attacking an opponent. Which essentially makes ever opponent a "smash ball."

Honestly, I would have preferred Battle Royale to use the smash formula of knocking characters off stages.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Wait, are people saying only the specials can kill people? I'm pretty sure I've seen a video of Kratos killing players with his basic attacks. Or did I read that wrong?

I'm not a Playstation fan, though I think I am going to get this at the very least.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, that was actually the video that I watched which I saw it in. It's true though that if you get a Super everyone else on the screen is essentially dead. I wonder if that is going to be balanced, which I'm sure it is going to be. Upon reading a lot of the things said here, a lot of it is negative against how competitive it is going to be, but as others have said, a lot of the developers are from other fighting games and they are putting all of their knowledge into it, so perhaps it may be too quick to put that judgment up just yet. It may be true however.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I got a few things to say about this game.

1. They should change the name to "Playstation All Stars"\

2. I think this game could have an edge over the 3 previous Smash games because of what it could offer in online that Brawl couldnt. It could be a hit despite it being like a Smash type game. Which is ok cuz Smash may have invented the genre but we had to expect other games to follow suit.

3. This game may have a deeper figting engine then Brawl and even Melee? Maybe? If so this could be pretty good in the tourney scene.

4. Sony has so many characters to choose from and plus they could possibly have much more third party support than Nintendo. Imagine them even getting characters from other fighters like Ryu, Scorpion etc.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since it's Microsoft, you could also use characters from other Microsoft things than the XBOX

for instance:

Also they own Rare, so they could have:

Battletoads, banjo and Kazooie, Conker, etc.

I think it could have quite a diverse cast. And probably better than Sony characters.

As a guest character, it could have XBOX Bomberman

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I got a few things to say about this game.

1. They should change the name to "Playstation All Stars"\

2. I think this game could have an edge over the 3 previous Smash games because of what it could offer in online that Brawl couldnt. It could be a hit despite it being like a Smash type game. Which is ok cuz Smash may have invented the genre but we had to expect other games to follow suit.

3. This game may have a deeper figting engine then Brawl and even Melee? Maybe? If so this could be pretty good in the tourney scene.

4. Sony has so many characters to choose from and plus they could possibly have much more third party support than Nintendo. Imagine them even getting characters from other fighters like Ryu, Scorpion etc.
1.they probably would have kept it as Title Fight, but the name was being used by a band. kinda like the WWF/WWE issue.

2actually,I recently found out this was the first of this genre.

3.with major Fighting game players on the team, an emphasis on true combos, and a design that has items as an enhancement to combat rather then a hindrance, I would not be surprised.

4. agree with everything here.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Only thing character-wise that interests me so far about this game is Sly Cooper. Everything else is just same ****, different game.

:phone:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
That's because JSS and JUS were published by Nintendo; obviously, the rip-off card was going to be invalid for those two games!

On a different note, here's an interesting preview by someone who appears to be well-versed in fighting games in general:

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/previews/10445/1/

In particular, this excerpt interests me:

So will we see real men use items in PASBR tournaments?
well, from Chibi's writeup and other things I noticed, i called 4 major points:

-the items can only be picked up when standing still.

-each item has a limited use: afterwards it vanishes.

-the items canot be thrown, unless that's it's porpose(example: you can throt the Hedgehog grenade but not the Spear or RPG) they can be only dropped.

-you cannot perform a super if you are using an item.

so this may actually be the case.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The motion cap actor for Cole from Infamous tweeted he just got done doing more Cole motion capture. He didn't specify what game, but said it's not Infamous. Looks like he will be in All-Stars as expected.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's like Sony made a bunch of random characters this generation JUST to make a smash game for

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Wow, you seem to be having a hard time with the idea of Sony having characters. Kratos, Parappa, Sweet Tooth and Sly aren't from this generation.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's a healthy balance if you ask me. From this gen, you got Drake, Cole, Fat Princess, Killzone guy, Sackboy for now. From the old, you got Parappa, Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Sly. Wouldn't surprise me if Jak or Crash also showed up.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
I just hope we have ranked matches.

Online tournaments.

No lag.

2v2's.

Many characters.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
It's a healthy balance if you ask me. From this gen, you got Drake, Cole, Fat Princess, Killzone guy, Sackboy for now. From the old, you got Parappa, Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Sly. Wouldn't surprise me if Jak or Crash also showed up.
During the Title Fight days the dev team has had their eyes on Jak and Daxter.

I think 3 or so third parties would be enough.

Crash
Spyro
Snake

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If they could make Clank play on his own with the size that he's got in All 4 One AND give him some things from A Crack in Time, I'd DEFINITELY play as him. Just imagine...he could have his time bombs (which create a speed-crippling blast radius) and scepter at his disposal.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
... but as others have said, a lot of the developers are from other fighting games and they are putting all of their knowledge into it, so perhaps it may be too quick to put that judgment up just yet. It may be true however.
Omar Kendall, the head of Superbot (the dev studio for PSBRAS) has been involved with MK: Shaolin Monks, UFC Undisputed 2010 and Backyard Wrestling and those games were extremely successful and praised for their competitiveness. :awesome:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not sure how I feel about a one year development game, unless this has been going on for several years.

Also makes me question the chance for third party chars.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ If I see any epic character from Disgaea is on this game, I will guaranteed buy it. I mean it is mostly on Playstation. =P

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Not sure how I feel about a one year development game, unless this has been going on for several years.

Also makes me question the chance for third party chars.
1 year development? yeah right, good luck with that...
As a huge fan of first party games from Sony (I don't like Sony, neither do i like Nintendo or Microsoft), I'm veeeeery disappointed...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
On a different note, here's an interesting preview by someone who appears to be well-versed in fighting games in general:

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/previews/10445/1/
This preview is a case in one of the flaws I'm seeing from Battle Royal. A big focal point seems to be making this game more like a traditional fighting game and not going the Smash route. I can only see this end in failure (or just be unimpressive)

First, let me say that Smash is the best selling fighting game ever made. No fighting game has yet to top 10 million in sales. So there is a lot to be learned from Smash but it's also not easy to compete with.

The thing with this game is it's trying to be more like a traditional fighting game, but they have not been as successful. Fighting game have had a bad run until recently. But even then, only Street Fighter 4 and Tekken 6 really did much and made not worthy sales. Yes, there are other games, but none of them with similar success. There is a big gap between these games and Smash.

So here is Superbot and Sony trying to make their own Smash game. But they want to take ideas from a losing play book. They want to be more like a traditional game (which usually translates into "make this game for tournaments.") This strategy has not worked and wont do much for this game. Smash's success was going for something different. It wasn't going to viability but sheer fun. To make a game that is crazy and ever changing.

Maybe I'm looking to much into it, but it seems that that is somewhat their direction with them hiring competitive players and some of the talk coming out. But I'll finish this on this note: if Sony came to me and said "Smashchu, how do we make out game a hit." I would say.... "This needs to be a game you never want to put down. A big part of Smash's success comes from being a game that never gets old. It's addicting enough to keep us going and has enough content to keep it fresh. If Sony All Stars is going to do well, it needs to keep players playing. It needs to be the game players default to. It has to be one of all night gaming sessions. That should be their biggest focus." One thing where I think they are stumbling is how they design he characters. They want to have them have set strategies from Parappa's bar building to Sly's stealth. That's fine, but a big thing needs to be that the characters move and feel different and than balance it from there. The best way to expand a little content is to make sure that everything feels different and that players will want to move between characters. One thing they could fix in that respect is to make sure the stage layout is diverse (which doesn't seem to be the case now).

Top Bottom