• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players Choice Awards

stek55

Smash Cadet
remember this from '05?

http://www.mlgpro.com/content/page/43987/2005-MLG-Pro-Smashers-Choice-Awards

just wondering.... has the community done a players choice awards since? i think it would be cool to see who the better players think is the best in categories like edgeguarding, tech skill, mindgames, combos, most unpredictable, most under-rated, best in teams, best at recovering, most improved, etc.

discuss?

Potential Player Awards:

Best Edgeguarder
Most Technical Smasher
Best With Mindgames
Best With Combos
Most Unpredictable Smasher
Most Under-Rated Smasher
Most Versatile Smasher - this award goes to the smasher than can perform well under any circumstances and feels comfortable with a wide array of characters or on any stage.
Most Improved Smasher
Most Helpful Smasher - this award goes to the smasher that is always willing to use their knowledge to give advice to other players. they may be the one who is most helpful on the boards or they may the guy at the big tournaments using their downtime out to help out the community and make other players better.
Up and Coming Smasher - goes to either a player that is lesser known that is about to make a name for themselves in the smash community, or a player that is already known that is about to take over the tournament scene.
People's Champ- the community's favorite smasher. the guy you can never root against.
Best Commentator
Best Overall Smasher

Potential Match Awards:

Best Comeback
Best Set
Biggest Upset - goes to the most unexpected bracket result in a tournament

NOW TAKING NOMINATIONS FOR PLAYERS CHOICE CATEGORIES AND PLAYERS CHOICE NOMINEES
How it works:
1.) please realize this is the first stage in the voting process. ideally there will be lots of nominations and from there the most popular categories will be picked with the corresponding nominees for the final Players Choice Awards.
2.) nominate players for as many or as few categories as you want. keep in mind that not all of the categories will be chosen for the final Players Choice Awards and only the most popular categories will be chosen.
3.) the above categories are only suggestions. feel free to make your own category and then nominate players for that category. any good category suggestions will be added to the list of potential categories.
4.) please dont nominate more than three players for each category and please try and nominate the players in order (1 = best, 2 = second best, 3 = third best)

lets do our best to try and make this happen

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I should get the most overwhelming urge to hug everyone but gets no hugs : ( I really wanta hug everyone it's just I don't want to force hugs onto anyone.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Players choice awards? Yeah we should have some type of video each year with votes and stuff, interviews, etc.

stek55

Smash Cadet
I think It would be a god idea. we could also have match categories like Set of the year, Comeback of the year...etc.
^ i think this is a really good idea too

with the new year approaching and ROM coming up i think now would be a good time to at least try to get the ball rolling on this. deciding the winners of the categories could be as easy as a smash boards poll (maybe in the backroom?). maybe some players would even be able to give there thoughts on other players at ROM.

any ideas as to how we could make this happen or some categories you would like to see (game categories or player categories) are appreciated. ill update the original post accordingly

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
If people knew more about me i think they'd be afraid and believe me about my name like if you saw what I did to the last spoon I ever used or knew my dreams : P

But this would be a cool idea.
In all seriousness, you shouldn't be living on this earth/you need help.

Rykard

Smash Ace
this is a really awesome idea. I can't wait to see some of the other category ideas people come up with. Some ideas i have are:

Most helpful Smasher (basically someone who is always posting on the boards to give advice or someone who takes time at tournaments to play you and give advice on your game etc.)

Combo video of the year (self explanatory)

stek55

Smash Cadet
i just updated the original post with an (un)official awards list that might be interesting to the community. feel free to complain and tell me that some of them are dumb or something. this is AFLOC (all for the love of the community) and input is greatly appreciated.

Most Innovative Smasher
Best at Multiple Characters
i wasnt sure whether it would be better to have multiple characters be a separate award or whether to have a Most Versatile Smasher award.. i went with the latter for now.

the ideas look good so far please keep them coming

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I might be interested in doing a combo video of the year thing for Combo Vids section.

For fun maybe....

For the rest of the stuff I wonder if too many categories are gonna pop up. But I might be interested in holding something if its feasible.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yeah

If you guys can come up with a good way of voting (panel or something, i dunno) this could be really fun.

Aves

Smash Apprentice
Funniest Smasher?
Nicest Smasher?

I took these off the MLG awards.

stek55

Smash Cadet
great, thanks for all the support everyone. it would be great to see this actually happen.

i think the number of categories is definitely going to have to be narrowed down in the end but for now we should keep on brainstorming ideas and pick the final categories later.

originally i had planned on making this a true Players Choice Awards where only active and experienced players (regular tournament attendies / backroom members etc.) would be able to vote for the winners in each category. however its possible that just a standard poll from smashboards members would be just as effective (and of course much easier).

one voting possibility would be to have all the voters nominate a top 3 (in order) for each category. 1st place nominations would receive three point, second place two points, and third place one point. the points would be added up and a first place, second place, and third place winner will be chosen for each award.

what do you guys think? open to ALL suggestions as always blah blah..

I.B

Smash Lord
Is it too early to nominate?

Best Edgeguarder: Mew2king

Most Technical Smasher: Armada

Most Improved Smasher: Dr. PeePee or Axe (Can't decide!)

Best Set: PP vs Armada (Feel like I'm forgetting other major ones)

Best Overall Smasher: ...Mangoooo!

stek55

Smash Cadet
ok cool.. lets do this. everyone feel free to nominate players for your favorite categories. it would be helpful i think if your nominees were in order (as in if you have multiple nominees list them #1, then #2, then #3). please dont nominate more than 3 players for each category. ultimately, this process will help narrow down what categories (and their corresponding nominees) will make the final cut. ill update the original post as soon as i get a chance.

go nominate

EDIT: the original post has been updated

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
awww... well I couldn't be contend w/any of the categories, unless you include like video editing... or something "cries"

Well I like the idea... I love you guys :)

joeplicate

Smash Master
we should do it for like regions, too

otherwise it would just be a bunch of names everybody already knows =P

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I actually like the idea of something based on region.

If thats whats gonna happen though, I think we should all just move this discussion into our respective region room.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
So yea, you're totally entitled to your opinion to why you like brawl and dislike melee or vice versa, but don't go to either forum saying one is better than the other or whatever.

Play whichever one you like. There is no need for this.

All Brawl vs Melee posts, debates and the similar will be infracted.

stek55

Smash Cadet
unfortunately i think that a regional poll would look a lot like this:
south: hungrybox wins everything
west: mango wins everything
europe: armada wins everything etc etc

i dont know maybe im just not active enough in the community and dont know enough players to think that a regional players choice would not be as interesting. doesnt anyone else want to see who places highest in best player out of armada, m2k, hbox etc? but i see absolutely no reason why there cant be both.. just sayin.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well thats for one category.

What about like most improved?

Mango, can't possibly be the winner of the most improved category. He's already the best player lol.

stek55

Smash Cadet
haha well true enough. i just feel like making a regional players choice is the same thing, just with less competition and presumably less voters. that is only one opinion though.

Top Bottom