• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Player Styles: What's yours?

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
This idea is partly to discourage players from automatically choosing the top tier characters to be their mains (before they consider their own personal playstyle) and also to try and help those players who are unsure of which characters to try out and main.

I think this is a good idea that will help the community. We, as a whole, can compile a list of playstyles and suggest characters to try out if the description fits.

I.e.,

If you like to have a strong aerial offense, characters to consider are: Luigi, Jigglypuff, Metaknight, Marth.

If you like camping and spamming, characters to consider are: Pit, Falco

We can go from there, adding things like character speed, weight, ect.

I.e.,

If you like to have a strong defense, good spacing, decent speed and heavier characters, characters to consider are: Donkey Kong, Snake

I don't think I have the time to individually compile this list, and I think if the community worked together as a whole to make one, it'd be more accurate anyhow.

Discuss.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
How about I tell you my main five, and you try to figure out my style? Lol. I'm too lazy to go over it in-depth right now.

Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucario, Toon Link.

For starters, I think it's safe to say I usually prefer having a strong air game.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'll just start with the characters I use, that havn't been said yet.

Peach: Peach is a defensive character that uses her defensive to create openings for her offense.

Mario: Use Mario if you love to edgeguard and link moves together easily, yet be rather average in everything else.

Bowser: Bowser has a wierd style of defense and won't get anywhere just throwing moves out because your going to get punished hard, but Bowser can punish harder.

Fox: Fox can rack up damage easily and can gimp. Fox has a tool for pretty much everything, but suffers from being light and predictable.

Ike: If you like very strong moves and love to use your jab, Ike is for you.

Hope that helped.

Finns7

Smash Ace
I use Link and I have diff styles depending on my opponent.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
If you like watching your opponent like a hawk, then brutally punishing them whenever they mess up, Ganondorf is the man for you!

I'll try to think of one for Wolf soon. That's a tough one...

Prax

Smash Journeyman
I've always liked characters with a good air game, hence why I used Marth and Luigi in Melee, and MK and Wario in Brawl. I'm considering picking up Snake too, I have gained huge respect for him after finally playing all of the MGS games.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Fast attacks, high mobility. I'm good with Marth, Zamus, Metaknight, Sonic and Shiek.

R.O.B. is a mystery to me, because I'm good with him too.

But as far as strategy is concerned, speed is all I need. :D

okiyama

Smash Ace
Uhhh I like speed but I'm used to playing melee's fox speed so everything seems.. sluggish now. So instead I chose weird/fun and went with Wario. It's not that I have fun because his playstyle coninsides with mine(it doesn't) I play him becuase he's so quirky that just his moves are entertaining. Also Fart kill is better than falcon punch IMO.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
I like to start a match of with a grab and then an ariel combo.

hence my mains are Meta Knight and Luigi.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I play offensively with all of my characters, including King Dedede and Diddy Kong.
Diddy Kong has good offense but King Dedede isn't the best at offense. I still like to play offensively with him though because most people don't know how to handle it - or Diddy Kong for that matter.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Fighting was the only thing, the ONLY thing I was good at but at least I always fought for what I believed in.

Leprechaun Drunk, farwell.

Meccs

@Meccs_
I'm hardly on the ground, I much prefer to play aerial (its just been my playstile since 64), and I use Ness, Luigi (go figure :p) and Pikachu. Ness is definetly a good aerial player, not so sure about Pikachu, though

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Mario: Good for edgegaurding and recovery gimping, and still decent in other categories. While not the strongest character, particularly on the ground, he still has merit due to being able to combo opponents with relative ease.

Luigi: Floaty and works well in the air. Has solid recovery options. Good for approaching (crawling to avoid soem projectiles and using the Luigi Cyclone to move in quickly)

Ganondorf: Slow and must be played carefully and defensively. Good for punishing mistakes. Also possesses a good erial game and can KO quickly with his variety of spikes.

Toon Link: Good for campy or spammy tactics. Projectiles help in approaches. Lacks range with other attacks, but is fast and fairly balanced on the ground and in the air.

Falco: Good for camping and stopping foe's approach, as well as approaching and spacing well (via the Reflector, Laser, and Falco Phantasm)

Wolf: Boasts a balance between offense and defense. Better suited to grounded play, though.

Marth: Good for spacing fenatics and an aggressive game, especially in the air.

Sonic: Err...

Top Bottom