• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Matchup Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Well, FAir and BAir is all Wolf needs. And I am pretty sure BAir outranges all of Pit's aerials.
The Bair has that bogus hitbox that goes through everything. XD

And your reasoning behind these suggestions?
Wolf has good ground game and a couple of beastly air attacks (Bair anyone?) Also, he attacks fast. Very fast.

Ice Climbers have the chaingrab, and Pit does not have a reliable method to split them up.

Zelda kills at freakishly low percents, and has a crapload of priority and range on a lot of her attacks. Usmash>Aerial approach.

Pokemon Trainer does not suck that bad. Ivysaur has a mean keep away game, Squirtle has the whole Jigglypuff thing going on for him, and Charizard just kills. 65-35 is just too high. It's not that large of an advantage.

ROB has the laser. Har har.

Also do you take the matchup ratios of other boards into consideration when making these suggestions?
I do, but it's mostly common sense. Advantage on snake? With his stage control and ground superiority? Nuh uh.

Deeves

Smash Rookie
Were you on drugs when you made the match up? Casue half the match ups are ummm how do I put this kindly............ very wrong.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah there is no way Pit has only 5 bad matchups... That sounds more like G&W (MK, Marth, Snake, Diddy, and maybe Olimar give G&W trouble).

Deeves

Smash Rookie
With all due respect Mr. Maniaclyrasist you need to do more research with pit play some better people and then remake the matchup list. Wait on second thought do even re-make it cause I believe undrdog posted the matchups but i could be wrong, and if you do re-make it consulte other people like undrdog, kupe 15, Mr.Eh and anyone else that is Intelligent.

Coffee™

I need it....
Wolf has good ground game and a couple of beastly air attacks (Bair anyone?) Also, he attacks fast. Very fast.
Pit also has a good ground game and aside from Bair Wolf doesn't really have any notable aerials.

Ice Climbers have the chaingrab, and Pit does not have a reliable method to split them up.
This comment proves that you really don't know much about Pit's matchups. Pit can camp with Dair for pretty much the entire match against ICs as it separates them fairly easily and has a huge hitbox, Dtilt and Uair also work well in separating them and it's not terribly infeasible to see Pit gimping separated ICs is it? AR is also a pretty big annoyance for them as far as getting grabs is concerned.

Zelda kills at freakishly low percents, and has a crapload of priority and range on a lot of her attacks. Usmash>Aerial approach.
You have to realise Pit's ground game isn't terrible and he isn't limited to approaching in the air, let alone in a matchup where he doesn't have to approach to begin with.

Zelda's attacks are also fairly punishable on block and in general she tends to work better as a defensive character, but in situations like this matchup where she is forced to approach as she is then she tends to run into difficulties.

Pokemon Trainer does not suck that bad. Ivysaur has a mean keep away game, Squirtle has the whole Jigglypuff thing going on for him, and Charizard just kills. 65-35 is just too high. It's not that large of an advantage.
I'm not saying PT is bad in general but Pit does beat both Ivy and Zard without too much trouble with Zard being the slightly harder match. Squirtle is really the only redeeming character for PT in the matchup and with a 2 minute timer and him being so light, it doesn't really seem much in favor of PT at all.

ROB has the laser. Har har.
Um.....ok.

I do, but it's mostly common sense. Advantage on snake? With his stage control and ground superiority? Nuh uh.
His stage control becomes extremely limited when facing Pit's Arrows and Pit is superior both in the air and offstage, maybe its just me but don't you find it a bit absurd to list a matchups with positives like that in Snakes favor?

Deeves

Smash Rookie
too lazy to quote*

PIt cant camp zelda. So that leaves you with close combat and zelda is very good at close combat i should know i play against a pro zelda. No im not braging im just stating what i know. so yes her attacks are punishable but you got to look at all angles of it okay. you are to much of a pit hugger, yes hes a good character but he has his weakness. like i said before just play some other people and realize all the mistakes you've made please. to lazy to use proper grammer*

MrEh

Smash Hero
maybe its just me but don't you find it a bit absurd to list a matchups with positives like that in Snakes favor?
No, it's because Snake's ground game is just that good. A lot of characters can dominate Snake in the air, and Pit is no exception. But a lot of characters do it better then Pit. Snake just ***** on the ground, period. His dominance on the ground is far scarier then Pit's aerial dominance on him. I wouldn't even call it aerial dominance, it's more like just an advantage. Pit's not Wario or ROB.

Pit also has a good ground game and aside from Bair Wolf doesn't really have any notable aerials.
The Bair is all he needs.

This comment proves that you really don't know much about Pit's matchups.
I could say the same about you and Bowser.

it's not terribly infeasible to see Pit gimping separated ICs is it?
No, but it's not feasible to see Pit with a 60-40 advantage over them. It puts the Ice Climbers to shame that you think so little of them. Pit does not have long range, and it's not insanely difficult for them to get the grab.

AR is also a pretty big annoyance for them as far as getting grabs is concerned.
Please don't tell me you're actually suggesting that the Angel Ring helps in this matchup.

You have to realise Pit's ground game isn't terrible and he isn't limited to approaching in the air
Spaced Fsmashes make ground approaches difficult.

Zelda's attacks are also fairly punishable on block
Try to punish a spaced Fsmash. If Zelda's not using her Fsmash, she's doing it wrong.

Also, getting killed at 60% from a lightning kick is not cool.

it doesn't really seem much in favor of PT at all.
I never said it was in the PT's favor. I just said that 65-35 is too high of an advantage.

Coffee™

I need it....
Yeah there is no way Pit has only 5 bad matchups... That sounds more like G&W (MK, Marth, Snake, Diddy, and maybe Olimar give G&W trouble).
I don't see why he should have more than 5 bad matchups just beacause its Pit ._. but feel free to list any other matchups you feel that Pit should be at a disadvantage to. Falco is the only other one I can really see being a disadvantageous matchup though.

With all due respect Mr. Maniaclyrasist you need to do more research with pit play some better people and then remake the matchup list. Wait on second thought do even re-make it cause I believe undrdog posted the matchups but i could be wrong, and if you do re-make it consulte other people like undrdog, kupe 15, Mr.Eh and anyone else that is Intelligent.
With all due respect, who are you and why should I bother listening to you?

too lazy to quote*
PIt cant camp zelda. So that leaves you with close combat and zelda is very good at close combat i should know i play against a pro zelda. No im not braging im just stating what i know. so yes her attacks are punishable but you got to look at all angles of it okay. you are to much of a pit hugger, yes hes a good character but he has his weakness. like i said before just play some other people and realize all the mistakes you've made please. to lazy to use proper grammer*
If you can't outcamp Zelda then you're probably just a worse player than the "pro" Zelda you play against. Zelda doesn't have a reliable reflector nor does she have a projectile she can outcamp you with. You may be "stating what you know" but none of what you "know" is fact, just pure bias.

No, it's because Snake's ground game is just that good. A lot of characters can dominate Snake in the air, and Pit is no exception. But a lot of characters do it better then Pit. Snake just ***** on the ground, period. His dominance on the ground is far scarier then Pit's aerial dominance on him. I wouldn't even call it aerial dominance, it's more like just an advantage. Pit's not Wario or ROB.
Pit's definitely not a Wario but in comparison to R.O.B, who is listed as having an advantage over Snake, what does Rob really do to Snake that Pit can't aside from like a Dair Spike? Pit even has more reliable ways of getting Snake into the air than R.O.B does.

No, but it's not feasible to see Pit with a 60-40 advantage over them. It puts the Ice Climbers to shame that you think so little of them. Pit does not have long range, and it's not insanely difficult for them to get the grab.
Lol, I don't think little of the ICs, but have you even ever played or seen a Pit versus ICs match? Pit can camp with Dair for the whole match with fairly little risk of being grabbed and Dair separates the ICs very easily. Dtilt and Uair also work well in separating them.

Please don't tell me you're actually suggesting that the Angel Ring helps in this matchup.
Yes I am suggesting that it helps, obviously you're not going to stand around and AR an entire match but AR does separate the ICs and prevents you from being grabbed...so...yea.

Try to punish a spaced Fsmash. If Zelda's not using her Fsmash, she's doing it wrong.
Um...You can punish a shielded "spaced" Fsmash with Dtilt.

I never said it was in the PT's favor. I just said that 65-35 is too high of an advantage.
Ugh, stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that you said that it was specifically a favorable match for PT but with two thirds of the character at a disadvantage and the other third probably a neutral but with a 2 minute timer on his general effectiveness PT is going to run into significant problems here.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't see why he should have more than 5 bad matchups just beacause its Pit ._. but feel free to list any other matchups you feel that Pit should be at a disadvantage to. Falco is the only other one I can really see being a disadvantageous matchup though.
Falco, Snake, Diddy Kong, IC's, and maybe Lucario/Kirby. I'm pretty sure about the first 4 though.

Diddy Kong, at a glance, may not look like he would have the advantage here. What Diddy needs to aim for is not for Pit, but the space nearby him. If he keeps one Banana in his hand and one near you and uses them to control the stage instead of specifically attacking you, then he can really put on the pressure. Something that is nice for him though is that if he tosses a banana at you and you reflect it, he can keep on running and dash attack to pick it right back up and maybe hit you in the process as well.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
but maybe its just me but diddykongs game is extremely linear. the best way of getting bananas is simple spotdodge-> grab banana. Its fairly easy to see coming. Reflecting bananas is usually a bad thing to do with pits reflectors coming out so slow and all. and you should take the fight to the air as often as possible doing multiple walls of f-airs. obviously great diddies will get around you. But the main way o fight diddies is to understand their apporach game and options. Diddy is actually pretty limited and it is not hard to put him in a disadvantaged position throughout the game.

Afro Boy2000

Smash Journeyman
I think Pit beats Wolf.
The chaingrab plus easy gimping with arrows and mirror shield is to much for him to handle. And I just dont think that the b-air is enough for Wolf to "hold his own".
The matchup is like 60-40 Pit's favor.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Pit vs ICs should be 55:45 at best for Pit. I know you can camp with dair, but if they perfect shield one of them, there goes your stock. I played Melee1 in pools, so I've got experience in the matchup. You can camp with arrows and dair, but it's not exactly reliable. Ledgecamping also doesn't work well agaisnt them. It's fairly easy to get rid of Nana once they've been seperated, but getting them seperated is what makes this matchup difficult.

As for wolf, I'd say it's Pit's advantage, tho not by much. Bair isn't proof enough that the matchup should be in Wolf's favor, thats pretty ridiculous. At the same time, Pit doesn't dominate in the air, he just has a slight advantage. The main reason this matchup is in Pit's favor is because as soon as Wolf goes off the stage, he's dead. He either gets WoP'ed, Mirror Shielded, or arrow gimped to edgehog.

As for Snake, he wins. He really doesn't even need the projectiles. He destroys on the ground. Plus he kills Pit at like 120 with a fresh utilt. Pit has horrible KO power and Snake is really heavy, on top of having really good momentum cancelling. Arrows aren't enough to shut down a good Snake's projectile game either. I dont understand how people see this matchup as anything other than 60:40 for Snake.

Deeves

Smash Rookie
Okay I'll ask you the smae question. And you should listen to me cause you should listen to other pit players. Take "Mr.Eh". do yoou know who he really is? Why do you respond to stuff that he says why dont you just blow it off and pretend he never said it huh? Plus i dont need to tell you who i am cause i have self respect. I ttried to offer you information so you dont look like a fool but I guess it didnt work. oh well.*sigh*

If you can't outcamp Zelda then you're probably just a worse player than the "pro" Zelda you play against. Zelda doesn't have a reliable reflector nor does she have a projectile she can outcamp you with. You may be "stating what you know" but none of what you "know" is fact, just pure bias.
Well duh! Its a PRO! Do you know what a PRO is or do i need to explain it to you. Zelda has a reflecter which can reflect the arrows which prevents camping. Face palm* I am not a pro and i dont wish to be cause i have a life. no offence to people who want to be pro's. And her reflecter is reiable. Trust me dude i played himm all day last sunday. Do you play anyone good in florida? Like a good zelda or even a good Bowser cause I play both against a extramly good Bowser and Zelda. But if you ever come to Hawaii then PM me and we can meet with some pros ill bring over the good bowser player as well.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I don't see why he should have more than 5 bad matchups just beacause its Pit ._.
No, he should have more then 5 bad matchups because Pit is not that good of a character. He is not Gdub.

Ignore him. He's not worth it.

If you can't outcamp Zelda then you're probably just a worse player than the "pro" Zelda you play against.
He's a far worse player, trust me on this. The Zelda happens to be one of the best Zelda players on the West Coast, or at least I think so.

what does Rob really do to Snake that Pit can't aside from like a Dair Spike? Pit even has more reliable ways of getting Snake into the air than R.O.B does.
ROB has more range on his attacks then Pit does. Also, he camps better.

Lol, I don't think little of the ICs
Then change the matchup. 60-40 is high.

Um...You can punish a shielded "spaced" Fsmash with Dtilt.
The last hit of the Fsmash has a bogus hitbox that pushes you away. You shouldn't be able to punish it with a Dtilt if it's properly spaced.

two thirds of the character at a disadvantage and the other third probably a neutral but with a 2 minute timer on his general effectiveness PT is going to run into significant problems here.
That is not a disadvantage against Pit, that's a general disadvantage against every character in the game. Most stocks don't even last 2 minutes anyway.

but maybe its just me but diddykongs game is extremely linear.
Then that Diddy isn't good. Diddy can be predictable with his glde tosses, but that's a limitation of the player, not the character. Diddy can be very unpredictable, and he doesn't have to toss the Nanners at you to use them well. Just having them littered around the stage helps him.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
I don't think Bowser is that much in Pit's favor.
Also GnW and MK being counters, personally i think GnW is more of a counter or equal to MK.
Also Olimar vs. Pit should be in Olimar's Favor.
nah bowser is a big target and pit can outcamp him
i disagree i think mk is much more of a counter than g&w
i dont know why but i dont have too much of a problem with olimars

MrEh

Smash Hero
nah bowser is a big target and pit can outcamp him
Arrows don't decide the matchup. Oh, and Pit can have fun killing Bowser at 200%..

i dont know why but i dont have too much of a problem with olimars
Because the Olimars you play probably suck. XD

Seriously though, Olimar is too good.

i think peach should be a -1 and wario should be neutral btw
You must be kidding.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
Arrows don't decide the matchup. Oh, and Pit can have fun killing Bowser at 200%..

Because the Olimars you play probably suck. XD

Seriously though, Olimar is too good.

You must be kidding.
i dunno hes been playing olimar since the games release
maebe ive just gotten used to his playstyle he used to beat me all the time but now i beat him
and on a sidenote i meant marth cuz i just outcamp most marths and i dont know again i really just either outcamp warios or get em in the air

...Also MrEh rather then spam my boards.
you mean our boards :)

edit: ma bad corrupt ill use edit next time

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
No, he should have more then 5 bad matchups because Pit is not that good of a character. He is not Gdub.

Your right on this, I wouldn't say that he really need so many bad match ups, but most small cast members can do really good against him.

Ignore him. He's not worth it.

Lets try a being a bit nicer and repectful then see what happens

He's a far worse player, trust me on this. The Zelda happens to be one of the best Zelda players on the West Coast, or at least I think so.

Being one of the best Zelda's doesn't make him worse and if anything would show why the Pit gets out camped.

ROB has more range on his attacks then Pit does. Also, he camps better.

I don't think that I would say that, Pit can stand on the other side of any wall and still have a chance of hitting with arrows, I do it all the time against ROBs or others using ledge game.

Then change the matchup. 60-40 is high.

Its really not that high, you said try 55-45...thats not that big of a difference, however I think your right.

The last hit of the Fsmash has a bogus hitbox that pushes you away. You shouldn't be able to punish it with a Dtilt if it's properly spaced.

People say this and that about how amazing an attack is if spaced properly, but when to people are play 2 people are spacing making it a bit harder for one person to have perfect spacing against an equally skilled player.

That is not a disadvantage against Pit, that's a general disadvantage against every character in the game. Most stocks don't even last 2 minutes anyway.

This is true, but with each hit box that PT tosses out taking 1 sec off of that 2 min it can add up really fast when using Ivy or Squirtle.

Then that Diddy isn't good. Diddy can be predictable with his glde tosses, but that's a limitation of the player, not the character. Diddy can be very unpredictable, and he doesn't have to toss the Nanners at you to use them well. Just having them littered around the stage helps him.

I have to agree with you here.
Yummy...lets avoid posting 2 times in a row...in 2 min we have a great edit button that lets you change your post I find it very usful for these times.

...Also MrEh rather then spam my boards with one line posts saying things like "You must be kidding" give some advice.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
lol Corrupt I hate to be a grammar nazi but you have some typos I think. Your thing about pit standing on the other side of the "wall" against snake and the snippet on wolf and pit confused me a little.

But yes, has it been mentioned that pit's ledgecamping game completely ***** snake? Cooked and stripped grenades, tilts and nikita are pretty useless against pit when he is at the ledge.

I'd trust rogue, sage and the other very experienced pits when they enthusiastically say that G&W is a "*****" matchup and put the G&W and MK matchup under the same number.

I'd say more but it's late here.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I've been hearing word about a Pit vs ICs matchup, and with do respect with the upmost annoying IC CG thing, I still think Pit has a small advantage.

The problem with the ICs is that they are 2 chars. They have problems against a lot of "Multi-hit" moves, such as Pit's spinning bow jab. That there is one of the more common moves that I have used against em, since many ICs would try to rush and grab quickly. Pit's jab would be one of Pit's bigger defenses, stopping ice blocks, and could only be outprioritized by a spaced Blizzard of Fsmash.

D-tilt is also another good move to Pit's arsenal. For one, it sends em in the air when connected (with the exception of the spike). Pit is better in the air, and D-tilt is a good start, then other moves like U-air COULD (not always) seperate both ICs from each other, allowing Pit to quickly take one of em down before reuniting.

I've been tempted to using SH N-airs whatsoever. I realize that it is a good shield-pressuring move, and that one of the ICs might get knocked away, but still, poor Pit could be Shieldgrabbed.

Mirror Shield shouldnt be used in this matchup, which would leave you open, unless you dare try to gimp their Side-B recovery. I dont recommend Angel Ring either

Pit couldnt camp against them completely, for Desync Ice blocks are enough to get basically any Pit out of camping.

Pit's arrows cant stop Ice blocks, but can stop Blizzard.

I still consider Pit to a small advantage, like 55-45 for Pit, mainly because he could personally seperate the ICs easily compared to most of the cast with his variety of moves, especially the spinning bow jab, D-tilt, and U-air.

As far as Stages go, ban FD first, and I CP Norfair against them.

Coffee™

I need it....
I'll update this in a few days after I get back my laptop with the chart info on it.

Changes to be made:

Falco to a -1 as the matchup consensus reached on their boards was 55:45 in Falco`s favor

Sonic to even

PT to +2
and I'll edit this post later to quote MrEh.

Also can we talk about Olimar? Why exactly is it a disadvantage?

MrEh

Smash Hero
Why exactly is it a disadvantage?
Because Olimar *****.

Olimar has ground superiority. And lots of it. Huge range on his smashes, great grabs, and big lingering hitboxes to boot. Oh, and he out camps Pit.

Yes, Olimar can be gimped, but most Olimar players are good at getting around that these days. Olimar jumps high and is very floaty, so there are lots of situations were he doesn't even need the chain.

Coffee™

I need it....
Olimar has ground superiority. And lots of it. Huge range on his smashes, great grabs, and big lingering hitboxes to boot. Oh, and he out camps Pit.
Yea but Olimar technically has the best ground game of any character, even those who he is disadvantaged against. And as far as outcamping Pit, I don't really think he does. Nair easily gets rid of Pikmin lacthed on to you, AR can relect them as can MS although MS would generally be a bad choice here and depending on the distance between them Pit will still force Olimar to approach.

Yes, Olimar can be gimped, but most Olimar players are good at getting around that these days. Olimar jumps high and is very floaty, so there are lots of situations were he doesn't even need the chain.
True, Pit doesn't really have any huge advantages here since pretty much any character can gimp Olimar but offstage Pit does have the ability to rob Olimar of his DJ with arrows making it harder to get back without having to resort to his Up B.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Nair easily gets rid of Pikmin lacthed on to you
If you're using the Nair do get rid of the Pikmin, then you've just given Olimar the chance to attack.

AR can relect them as can MS although MS would generally be a bad choice here and depending on the distance between them Pit will still force Olimar to approach..
Reflecting Pikmin is useless. As soon as you pull out your reflector, you're going to get grabbed. Olimar will gladly take the hit of a single Pikmin to grab you.

but offstage Pit does have the ability to rob Olimar of his DJ with arrows making it harder to get back without having to resort to his Up B
Airdodge.

Coffee™

I need it....
If you're using the Nair do get rid of the Pikmin, then you've just given Olimar the chance to attack.
Or.....you could simply attack Olimar with it or retreat while using it. If you're using it correctly Olimar shouldnt really be able to hit you.

Reflecting Pikmin is useless. As soon as you pull out your reflector, you're going to get grabbed. Olimar will gladly take the hit of a single Pikmin to grab you.
Mirror Shield is for the most part useless but Olimar cannot grab through Angel Ring and iirc it stops his smashes as well as they have projectile properties.

Airdodge.
Sure, because you will always be able to airdodge and remain in an advantageous position to get back to the stage.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Or.....you could simply attack Olimar with it or retreat while using it. If you're using it correctly Olimar shouldnt really be able to hit you.
If you attack Olimar with it, you're going to get tilted or smashed. If you retreat, you get more Pikmin chucked at you.

but Olimar cannot grab through Angel Ring
Yes he can.

and iirc it stops his smashes as well as they have projectile properties.
No sense smashing when he can grab through it.

Sure, because you will always be able to airdodge and remain in an advantageous position to get back to the stage.
Olimar falls slow. Really slow. Air dodging won't put him in any position he'll regret. It's not like he'll fall under the ledge because of his airdodge. He's not Link.

Coffee™

I need it....
If you attack Olimar with it, you're going to get tilted or smashed. If you retreat, you get more Pikmin chucked at you.
The day an Olimar player learns to Smash or Tilt me while throwing Pikimin, I retire from this game. You don`t randomly approach Olimar with Nair, especially if he's a considerable distance away, but if he is simply throwing Pikmin at you then it works fine as an approach, he can't do both things at once.

As for retreating. Pikmin don't really do a lot of damage if you are retreating Nairs and after a while you are going to be at enough of a distance that your Arrows now become more effective than his Pikmin

Yes he can.
Ok, I got a bit mixed up.

No sense smashing when he can grab through it.
Either way it doesn't really matter as AR is going to be used as an approach and not simply a stand alone reflector. If Olimar is hit with the AR then he won't be able to grab you and his Pikmin are still reflected. If he Shields it then you can either keep up the AR or the wind pushing effect after it should keep you out of grab range.

Olimar falls slow. Really slow. Air dodging won't put him in any position he'll regret. It's not like he'll fall under the ledge because of his airdodge. He's not Link.
It depends on which move he's hit with that sends him offstage. Airdodging after being hit by Ftilt or Dsmash will have more disadvantageous results that advantageous ones. Either way the point I was getting at is that Pit has more a bit more options for gimping Olimar than most characters.

The Olimar boards list R.O.B as one of Olimar's harder matchups but in comparison to Pit R.OB's Dsmash is less reliable than Nair in ridding himself of latched Pikmin as he can get grabbed or smashed a lot easier mostly because he'll be a stationary target. Olimar outranges him on the ground so him having more range than Pit is negligable and he's also a bigger target for Pikmin. So what makes that a 35:65 matchup in favor of R.O.B while Pit is listed as a 60:40 in favor of Olimar?

MrEh

Smash Hero
As for retreating. Pikmin don't really do a lot of damage if you are retreating Nairs and after a while you are going to be at enough of a distance that your Arrows now become more effective than his Pikmin
Pikmin can be used as a shield against your arrows when Olimar approaches. Remember that he chucks Pikmin faster then Pit shoots arrows.

If Olimar is hit with the AR then he won't be able to grab you and his Pikmin are still reflected.
Then he just DI's out and grabs you.

If he Shields it then you can either keep up the AR or the wind pushing effect after it should keep you out of grab range.
Olimar grabs far. Really far. If he has anything that's not a Purple, it'll reach.

Either way the point I was getting at is that Pit has more a bit more options for gimping Olimar than most characters.
Not really. Pit has arrows for gimping. Mario has the almighty cape.

Arrows will never gimp if you're playing a competent player.

The Olimar boards list R.O.B as one of Olimar's harder matchups but in comparison to Pit R.OB's Dsmash is less reliable than Nair in ridding himself of latched Pikmin as he can get grabbed or smashed a lot easier mostly because he'll be a stationary target.
So Pit has an advantage...because he can rid himself of Pikmin easier? ROB is much harder to Pikmin Spam then you'd think. ROB camps hard, harder then Olimar.

Olimar outranges him on the ground so him having more range than Pit is negligable and he's also a bigger target for Pikmin.
No, it's not negligible. Yes, Olimar's ground game is better. However, it's difficult for Olimar to approach ROB because ROB is the king of camping. Gyros, Lasers, and his Tilts help him keep distance. ROB outcamps Olimar, and he can distance himself with ease. Oh, and it's super easy for him to kill Pikmin with Lasers and Gyros. So much that it's really not a problem for an experienced ROB.

Pit cannot outcamp Olimar, he is not ROB. Olimar will approach in this matchup, and his Pikmin will always beat your arrows. Reflecting is useless because you'll just get grabbed. Unlike the space animal's reflectors, Olimar can easily punish the MS or AR.

So what makes that a 35:65 matchup in favor of R.O.B while Pit is listed as a 60:40 in favor of Olimar?
Olimar can't approach ROB. He can approach Pit easily.

Coffee™

I need it....
Pikmin can be used as a shield against your arrows when Olimar approaches. Remember that he chucks Pikmin faster then Pit shoots arrows.
Approaching with Pikmin throw isn't as good as you're making it sound. Sure it might block some arrows but it doesn't stop Pit much less any character from retaliating in others ways.

Then he just DI's out and grabs you.
There is not enough time to unless he is able to DI behind you and thats only possible if he is hit with the part of the AR thats closest to Pits body, and if that happens then thats the players fault, not the characters

Olimar grabs far. Really far. If he has anything that's not a Purple, it'll reach.
Go test it for yourself, iirc only the white Pikmin reaches far enough.

Arrows will never gimp if you're playing a competent player.
Um...what? Just because you're a competent player doesn't mean you automatically avoid a perfectly viable way of being gimped.

So Pit has an advantage...because he can rid himself of Pikmin easier? ROB is much harder to Pikmin Spam then you'd think. ROB camps hard, harder then Olimar.
Pit camps better than R.O.B, wheter it be simply projectile spamming or ledge camping. Lol what happens Olimar decides to hold on to a thrown gyro? R.O.B loses half of his ability to camp. Olimar will outcamps R.O.B.

No, it's not negligible. Yes, Olimar's ground game is better. However, it's difficult for Olimar to approach ROB because ROB is the king of camping. Gyros, Lasers, and his Tilts help him keep distance. ROB outcamps Olimar, and he can distance himself with ease. Oh, and it's super easy for him to kill Pikmin with Lasers and Gyros. So much that it's really not a problem for an experienced ROB.
Again, R.O.B does not outcamp Olimar and the Lazer doesn't really make much difference in comparison to Pits arrows which can be fired in quicker succession at keeping Olimar away, it's arguably worse. R.O.B's Dtilt and Ftilt are good at keeping Olimar away at close range but a lot of characters are better than Olimar at close range. Olimar mostly shines at mid range and R.O.B's titlts don't help him that much at that range.
Also for what it's worth Falco also camps better than R.O.B. He's good at camping but he's no king.

Pit cannot outcamp Olimar, he is not ROB. Olimar will approach in this matchup, and his Pikmin will always beat your arrows. Reflecting is useless because you'll just get grabbed. Unlike the space animal's reflectors, Olimar can easily punish the MS or AR.
Pit and R.O.B. only outcamp Olimar at anything further than midrange, otherwise he outcamps both. Reflecting isn't entirely use less although it shouldn't be a top prority, but again it's hard for Olimar to punish an AR done correctly.

Olimar can't approach ROB. He can approach Pit easily.
I diagree for reasons listed above. Olimar's don't generally approach anyway but he doesn't have a particularly terrible time approaching either.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
So eh Summarize this for me, I'm pretty sure I have the most matchup experience against olimar than any other Pit here. What's this current debate about? Too many random sentences and replies to them.

Coffee™

I need it....
More or less why Pit is at a disadvantage against Olimar, especially since he doesn't differ too much from R.O.B who the Olimar boards list as 65:35 in favor of R.O.B while they list Pit as a 60:40 in their favor.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
R.O.B. Can approach with solid Aerials that out-prioritizes Olimar's Moves, than can land with an attack faster than Olimar's grabs. Which is why ROB beats Olimar.

Pit gets outcamped with Pikmin for the most part, so he has to approach. SH Nair can take out his Usmash but at a specific part Olimar is so short he doesn't get hit and can Usmash. Olimar's Pivot grabs goes about Pit's Roll distance in length. Also Olimar Kills Pit fairly early.

Reflecting Pikmin isn't the best idea. Olimar will gladly trade a pikmin for a grab, which he can combo from in early percents. Olimar's Blue Pikmin Bthrow kills around 110 maybe short, and Purple Uthrow kills around 100 or so. Technically Olimar should be able to pivot grab anything Pit can approach with.

Glair is his most pressuring thing. If you close the gap so he can't run, Up+B can stop him. If pit isn't on that Angle thats the most effective approach to Olimar. Olimar really can't do anything besides try to roll away.

WAC , Whistle Armor Cancel helps olimar recover. It gives super armor frames, so he can get to edge easier. Also with good DI, Olimar shouldn't ever need to use his tether.

Arrowing him offstage like a ***** until he messes up is the best. Or space a fair and knock him back to gimp. Olimar's recovery is his worse thing, You can Melee edgeguard him xD.

Also he's fairly light which makes him easier to kill, even though you probably won't come close to him.

At the start of the match, try to take out his pikmin and pressure him with your life, do not let him breath and try to get an easy stock off, though it's unlikely it's still something to think about.

All in All. I'll summarize.
Pit can't really approach him
Pit dies pretty easily
Pit gets outcamped
Olimar has a bad recovery, but won't be a probably with good DI.
Arrows Stop Olimar's recovery enough.
Wingdashing helps in this match-up.
Olimar is light
You can melee edgeguard him.
You out prioritize him in the air.
xD

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
So... is this the thread I should use for the character board matchup thread?

There's so many matchup threads floating around the Pit boards nowadays. It's confusing.

And wow. Only 5 bad matchups? -matchups that Olimar does well in? hmmm...

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
5 disadvantages, 13 even matchups, 15 slight advantages, 2 large advantage matchups.

I don't see anything flagrantly wrong with the matchups individually. Pit goes even with a lot of chars and has advantages on a lot of middle and low tiers and and DDD and snake because of pit-specific tactics. He is at a large disadvantage against specific high tiers and slightly against wario. But seeing as there is some discrepancy between boards on the even matchups we might have a few more unfavorable matchups than listed, probably -1s.

I will find out soon what matchups ratios differ significantly in reciprocal boards and post them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom