• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit General Match-Up Thread

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i'm fond of snake as a partner, but i think that's just because snake is an amazing teams character on his own.

though, pit works really well at hassling people to set up his c4's and then works really well at putting (and keeping) the opponent in the air to set up the explosion kills... and you can call yourselves "Team Snake-Pit", and that's really what counts. (Team Peach-Pit is also a pretty good name).

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Wolf has a bunch of priority above him, and all of his good moves send you up. His projectile makes it difficult to use arrows effectively and can sometimes force jumps, which is exactly what he wants.

His throws have better follow ups than pits, partly because at zero, bthrow chain grabs and leads to shine is guaranteed regardless of di.
Wolfs shine range is huge. A good wolf at low percent has nothing to fear and can literally just spam crouch vs you and deal massive damage.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

darkatma

Smash Hero
Just picked up pit/P:M. I'm having trouble with crouch canceling: pit's moves that knock upwards are all CCable, making it difficult for me to start a juggle situation. I also am not sure how pit approaches in most matchups. For example, if I'm trying to approach DK I often run in with a dair that gets me shieldgrabbed and whooped.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Space aerials that are out of his grab range, mainly retreating F-air. Playing a good baiting game with arrows to force him to approach works just as well, you mainly want to get a grab and kill him from there, or land a good convert if you happen to catch him with a random aerial, etc. N-air his recovery off-stage is an instant gimp against DK.

Just came back from the tournament in LO, placing 3rd, only losing to AustinRC in winners semis and losers finals. Marth is really a hard MU for Pit.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Nice. Yeah it took me a while but I think I understand his gameplay a little better now. I'm still having trouble comboing heavy characters out of dthrow, which is weight dependent.

Against ARC I would just cheat and use sheik :p

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Space aerials that are out of his grab range, mainly retreating F-air. Playing a good baiting game with arrows to force him to approach works just as well, you mainly want to get a grab and kill him from there, or land a good convert if you happen to catch him with a random aerial, etc. N-air his recovery off-stage is an instant gimp against DK.

Just came back from the tournament in LO, placing 3rd, only losing to AustinRC in winners semis and losers finals. Marth is really a hard MU for Pit.
I wouldn't say Marth is as Hard as he is gay (no puns intended) for pit. It's super hard to out space him and that range is just....eww. I think Pit can do the MU because you can beat marth's ass once you get a grab/combo going. It turns into Sheik/Marth for a bit but unlike sheik you can't just anything/fair kill Marth and your moves(specifically grounded) don't have the same speed/priority advantage so you have to work harder to set things up. As of now I don't think it's a losing MU....I also don't think it's a Winning MU....Needs more data.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Archangel, unexpected, welcome back.

I've had plently of experience against Marth in the past time, notably Sethlon, and ARC's Marth as well. Playing them both yield the same result, Marth outspaces Pit with all his moves, Pit can even it up by just landing a grab, and hopefully converting to a full damage combo, enough to either take away a stock, or even out the damage. Running up and shielding is a good tool, if you're expecting Marth to throw out certain moves. Pit merely needs to get a grab to make things well for him, whereas Marth has plenty of things he can do to make things well for him. That in itself shows how the MU is currently looking.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Archangel, unexpected, welcome back.

I've had plently of experience against Marth in the past time, notably Sethlon, and ARC's Marth as well. Playing them both yield the same result, Marth outspaces Pit with all his moves, Pit can even it up by just landing a grab, and hopefully converting to a full damage combo, enough to either take away a stock, or even out the damage. Running up and shielding is a good tool, if you're expecting Marth to throw out certain moves. Pit merely needs to get a grab to make things well for him, whereas Marth has plenty of things he can do to make things well for him. That in itself shows how the MU is currently looking.
yeah I got what you mean. I watched a set of yours vs Seth and I couldn't help but notice the lack of Arrows going his way when you were at a distance. Now it's well know that I like to Spam Arrows(Pun using my old smash-tag) but there are times when keeping Marth's sword close to him is and away from you is best done by shooting him from a safe distance. Another thing I noticed was that you gave up several chances to kill him by simply holding the ledge or doing the walk off-glide-instant edgehog which I LOVE doing. Basically...I think the camping and combo aspects of Pit's arrow game can be worked on by all of us Pit players specifically in matches like Pit vs Marth. I think Arrow usage is a big a game changer in the MU as Falco's lasers are vs Pit.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Arrows are nice against Marth, I agree. That match vs Sethlon is kinda outdated, there will be newer ones coming soon. Arrows have a good amount of cooldown, so positioning arrows is a little weird against Marth. If you space right, hurray, if you don't. Then prepare to get grabbed, F-Smashed, or dead.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Arrows are nice against Marth, I agree. That match vs Sethlon is kinda outdated, there will be newer ones coming soon. Arrows have a good amount of cooldown, so positioning arrows is a little weird against Marth. If you space right, hurray, if you don't. Then prepare to get grabbed, F-Smashed, or dead.
this is true. I think the best aspect of Pit vs Marth is being able to shoot Arrows in the right place on the fly. Pun was intended that time for sure :D.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I got 4th at the one I was talking about losing to Scythe and Kels, I never went Pit since you guys told me not to Vs spacies
http://smashboards.com/threads/and-project-m-diego-nooooooo-3-glen-ellyn-il-june22nd.338284/

now the most recent tourney I missed and am REALLY pissed I had to work today since so many more people were there and my Diddy and Pit both feel at their max power but now it's too late cus 2.6 is imminent and ready to ruin everything
http://smashboards.com/threads/and-...t-edition-july-6th-2013-glen-ellyn-il.338324/

BlinkIV

Avenger
Oh wow, nice, nice. I don't think 2.6 will completely ruin a lot of things. I've already played and messed with 2.6 changes for different characters.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Not sure if I'm allowed to disclose the changes. I'll contact Sethlon and see if I have the OK.
nah dude...don't post it here...PM me or Facebook me or something...but never post info on the boards dude...it's bad for life.

and you don't have to mention specifics or things that may yet be changed. i just want to know what is being changed aside from arrows which I already knew about.

Vixen

Premium
I enjoyed my games vs Scythe, and Kels. I wonder how much better they've gotten since we played friendlies at apex. :D

Didn't get to play PM with Kels at Zenith.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Kels is always solid. From my understanding, we are trying to get Scythe/Kels to come to LTC. I know some mid-west players are already confirmed. Oro?!, Rat, possibly Kirk.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
SO.... 2.6 is out...shall we give this a try again?

I'm going to go ahead and say Diddy and Sonic feel easier for obvious reasons...NERF BAT!

What is really on my mind is how everyone feels about Metaknight?

Vixen

Premium
Diddy and sonic were already easy match ups lol.

Mk imho is pit favored. Will post more ar home

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Diddy and sonic were already easy match ups lol.

Mk imho is pit favored. Will post more ar home

If you play vs a sonic like Wizzy I'm not sure you'd call the MU "easy". It's gay. Pit has a shot but sonic's BS home attack makes your glide recovery feel like Falco's -_-.... It's possible to beat sonic with pit in 2.5 but it's hard as hell against a very proficient sonic player who knows how to spin-spin-spin-spin spin-dead you. BUT! that no longer matters because sonic got his head almost knocked off with the nerf bat :p HAHAHAHAHAHA

As for diddy..you got me there. It wasn't exactly bad for Pit. It was even if you don't have patients vs a Diddy that plays like brawl. Which admittedly I didn't have the patience for Diddy at all. some of his moves having no endlag and/or higher priority than it seemed he should was also a bit tricky but...even if he turned out to be easy over time...his nerfs surely make him easier.

How is Pit vs Link, btw? For those who have played it.
I have yet to cross blades with a really good Link player in 2.6 but considering it was even or slight pit(I thought)...and pit got some subtle nerfs and link was improved....I'm going to take a wild guess that it's more difficult to play in 2.6 but for now that's all I got.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Diddy: Pit's favor, playing patient is the key, I don't have problems with Diddy since I did come from a Brawl background, and my best friend (Disqo Bunny) is proficient Diddy. I've been playing vs Diddy since Brawl, so I've got a really good feel for going against Diddy.

Sonic: MU has always been possible to do for Pit, however in 2.6, only time will tell right now. The regular Sonics I play against don't really play him much, so I don't have much input right now. I'm sure it's possible, or maybe Pit's favor now.

Link: Very even MU imo. It's hard to claim if this MU is in Links favor or in Pits, but it's a fun MU, and I like playing it. Yet again, patience is the key, and don't let Link set up camp on you, stay on him as much as possible, and stay safe while making your approaches.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Diddy: Pit's favor, playing patient is the key, I don't have problems with Diddy since I did come from a Brawl background, and my best friend (Disqo Bunny) is proficient Diddy. I've been playing vs Diddy since Brawl, so I've got a really good feel for going against Diddy.
Where has Disqo been he's not on Skype or the boards or anything

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I didn't really play it regularly until the last few months I played PM 2.5 and I quit brawl after a year of playing it and I didn't play diddy or fight him at all really. So I had to adapt to him...and honestly he felt kinda brawlish to me. He doesn't combo and if you run away forever the MU got kinda ghey. I would most likely just play a character like Fox or Falco vs a Diddy since I don't have to be patient I can just be a spacie and do ok. My first set ever vs a Diddy I was playing fox and it was kinda fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knrmCjBjoB0 (watch if you have free time it's Bo5 and goes to game 5 last stock high %)

Sonic: MU has always been possible to do for Pit, however in 2.6, only time will tell right now. The regular Sonics I play against don't really play him much, so I don't have much input right now. I'm sure it's possible, or maybe Pit's favor now.
Sonic was a winnable match for Pit but it was still like 6-4 Sonic in 2.5 and 2.1. but since the things that made the match bad for pit have been HEAVILY nerfed it's like...no fear vs Sonic. I do think it's in pit's favor now actually.

Link: Very even MU imo. It's hard to claim if this MU is in Links favor or in Pits, but it's a fun MU, and I like playing it. Yet again, patience is the key, and don't let Link set up camp on you, stay on him as much as possible, and stay safe while making your approaches.
I played this match ALOT in 2.1 but not so much in 2.5 but a few times and it has always been a fun match. I'm curious, how does the revamped Link play exactly...can I get some more in depth discussion.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
For those of you who haven't played 2.6 Link:
The faster, shorter boomerang allows Link to spam more quickly, but he has to be closer to the opponent.The close hit can set up for some nasty Uair and Dair kills if you're not careful.

Link can space out Zair at the tip for another vertical launcher.

Link's dash and running speed are faster. He is a bit harder to hit with projectiles because of this.

Personally I'm thinking that the MU is slightly worse for Pit now that there is more arrow cooldown lag. 2.6 Link has to get a little closer to use all of his tools effectively, but otherwise, he is much better.

BlinkIV

Avenger
I'm aware of the changes, I play Link and Toon Link myself. It might be slightly worst for Pit, but I'm not making any judgements until I play against more 2.6 Link with Pit.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
What are the thoughts on Pit vs The Pokemon?

Pit vs Lucario

Pit vs Jigglypuff

Pit vs Squirtle

Pit vs Pikachu

Pit vs Charizard

Pit vs Ivysuar?

BlinkIV

Avenger
Pit vs Lucario: Even

Pit vs Jigglypuff: Slight Jiggs, but still managable for Pit

Pit vs Squirtle: Pit's favor

Pit vs Pikachu: Not sure, haven't played good Pikas.

Pit vs Charizard: Definitely even. Beware the N-air plane.

Pit vs Ivysaur:In 2.5, it was a solid MU for Pit to win, but now in 2.6 with the buffs Ivy recieved, and with Pit's "adjustments", It's leaning towards Ivy's favor.

Vixen

Premium
Zard beats pit. Even harder in 2.6 due to the usmash nerf.

Vixen

Premium
Play a good zard.

All of zards moves put pit above him and pits buttons coming down are awful

BlinkIV

Avenger
Stop implying I play only bad people, it's annoying after a while.

It's the same situation either way, Pit can keep Zard both above him and juggle him rather easily. Zard's only good move coming down is N-air, which leaves him relatively safe.

Hence, why I said "Beware the N-air plane.". The N-air can catch Pit off pretty easily if you don't expect it, and he's got a nice tech chase.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Nah, one "adjustment" can alter a characters meta-game, yes. But in MU's against others? It depends if they were adjusted as well. In this case, both Pit and Charizard.

I'm curious, just what "Top" or relatively even close to good Charizard do you play against to determine this?

Top Bottom