• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pika's Matchups

N64

Smash Champion
Just for clarity, it's not a true chainthrow, samus gets out of it if she DIs away. But it can work a couple times until they realize this.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Yeah, like I said fthrow works well. Sort of.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JRjOmJMNnhM here's a vid of me going up against a Samus and chain grabbing with fthrow.

I do it against a marth too, I'll upload that one later on as well in my vid topic. Check it out.
Wow, that was a nice samus battle. I hope someday I'm half as good as this.

I always wonder, when you do smashes that charge up, do you do a forward a smash or z-cstick? Is one better than the other?

Also, though I havent played someone who has shot barrages of missles at me in awhile, I think I remember being able to duck under the super missles (and possible block or dodge the homing ones). Does that not work when you're playing a pro?

Anther

Smash Champion
I think dodging Samus's missles is more or less something you're gonna have to do with your eyes. Sure you can duck missles if they're standing and shooting them. But if they land-cancel a missle, those can go low enough to hit you out of a crouch. So you just have to be on your toes when fighting against her.

CHAOTIC SOJR

Smash Cadet
Yo DUDE .... N64 just dropin in to say my pika rocks ... i saw that cmbo vid ... electric shufle .... awesome bro ... i noticed win watching it ... that you and i do alot of the same combos .. i got some new ones for you dude ... if i can ever get them on cam. ill sendem to you ... later bro ..

.... oh yeah .... that vid wuz awesome ...ill be looking for more

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
hmm...is it possible for pikachu to use the dsmash to absorb falco/fox's dair? it works pretty well for their fsmash, but i havent been able to do it for their dairs yet

CHAOTIC SOJR

Smash Cadet
^
^
^
i havnt tryed it yet but mabey this works ..... try crouch canceling it then dsmash before he gets of his shine

also falco is a verry bad aponent for pikachu falco pwns pikas ... but you keep tring

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
whew, nice vid; first KO was nice. and thanks for the replies, i'll be practicing using dsmash against the dair.
sojr: yeah i hate falcos...i'm afraid to go off the stage to edgeguard them because of their phantasm spike(meteor?) and, of course, the dair T.T

-edit
new question lol...i'm up against a samus now, and his tactics can pretty much be summed up by the use of his down-b move and missiles. what he likes to do is to use the bombs to stop my approaches, and if i'm not approaching, i'm being screwed over by missiles. often, my approach is a double jump into an aerial, which often becomes a missile in my face, or a dsmash. what the heck am i supposed to do?! lol

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Falco's Illusion is a meteor, it's cancellable but, Pika's Uair ***** the crap out of Illusion when spaced properly (in the air) I love doing it (lol).

Vs. Samus: I don't know if anyone knows this yet because I didn't see it on the first post but, Pika can clink with ALL of samus' projectiles. U-Smash, Nair, Bair, Dair, Dash ATK, and D-Tilt all cancel the fully charged Beam shot and Strong Missiles.

@ PsychopathicEmus: With that said you can just camp Samus by eating all her projectiles and just wait for her to come to you lol

festizzio

Smash Champion
I was playing one of my friend's falco and I went pretty much even with him the first stock (even killed him first WHOMG) and I was fulljumping aerials, going over his lasers and such. That seems like a pretty good strategy.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Exactly lol. It's the same strategy with Marth but, Pika can jump much farther and much faster than Marth so I'd think Pika would be able to do this easier and be able to get in on a Falco then either D-Smash or whatever you need to follow up.

N64

Smash Champion
Campy falcos don't let you get in the air very easily. Lasers at general SHL height will still hit you in the first few frames of pika's jump, and stun you almost long enough for the next one coming to hit you before you can jump high enough to avoid it. If you do get in the air, there's usually not a whole lot you can do. Nair gets shielded and then the falco can often shine you after it if you're close enough, or run away and reverse laser if you're too far to get shined. His nair and bair will tink or outprioritize your other approaches. Pika's pretty easy to pillar and to be combo'd by falco in general. You can chaingrab him, but good falcos are pretty hard to grab in the first place. He's also kinda susceptble to tailspike gimps, but dair will usually out prioritize your uair, and falco won't do much of anything else if he's above you. It's pretty easy for falco to punish pikachu for missed/shielded aerials, while you just have to sit in your shield for his pillar combos and hope he misses an Lcancel.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
are you serious?! man...i hate the shine so much, both fox's and falco's =(. i think another thing you can do if they're coming down from the dair, is when the dair hits your shield, roll away. otherwise....back throw --> tail spike? XD

festizzio

Smash Champion
Campy falcos don't let you get in the air very easily. Lasers at general SHL height will still hit you in the first few frames of pika's jump, and stun you almost long enough for the next one coming to hit you before you can jump high enough to avoid it. If you do get in the air, there's usually not a whole lot you can do. Nair gets shielded and then the falco can often shine you after it if you're close enough, or run away and reverse laser if you're too far to get shined. His nair and bair will tink or outprioritize your other approaches. Pika's pretty easy to pillar and to be combo'd by falco in general. You can chaingrab him, but good falcos are pretty hard to grab in the first place. He's also kinda susceptble to tailspike gimps, but dair will usually out prioritize your uair, and falco won't do much of anything else if he's above you. It's pretty easy for falco to punish pikachu for missed/shielded aerials, while you just have to sit in your shield for his pillar combos and hope he misses an Lcancel.
Yeah but if they're laser camping and you jump over the lasers fast enough, wouldn't it make sense that you can hit him while he's SHL'ing? I used to main Falco and one of the reasons I stopped was because I felt way too vulnerable while I was SHL'ing.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
hmm...but shouldn't falco just stop SHL'ing after you're over his lasers? i mean, if i played falco, i'd stop SHL'ing if they're within a certain distance of me. and something i noticed in a vid somewhere...if pikachu wavedashed in place, can he actually duck falco's lasers? i'm not quite good enough to do it consistently, but it seems to sorta work for me

N64

Smash Champion
Yeah, he can usually stop lasering and shield any aerials and grab/shine you. Or if you get up on a platform and start jolting, he'll get to the opposite platform and go back to spamming. Or if you try to come down with an aerial he can usually meet you in the air with a nair or dair and outprioritize what you throw at him.

What I usually do anyways is jump to a platform, throw a couple jolts till he hops up to the opposing platform, and then drop through and dash towards him to try to get under him. Dsmash outprioritizes his dair about half the time, and sometimes you can get a uair in before he drops through the platform and try to techchase him.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
hmm...what are good stages to counter-pick against foxes and/or falcos? if i'm up against somebody who has a higher tier character and sort of out-skills me, i think i want every advantage i can get XD

N64

Smash Champion
Depends on who you're playing against. The only stages I've heard generally accepted as good pika stages are poke stadium and corneria. Dreamland's decent against chars that don't live forever on it, final d is decent against fastfaller and terrible against chainthrowers. Moving stages are decent against slow characters (and nana, lols).

I like fountain of dreams and hate yoshis story, but other pika players are the opposite. so yeah.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Depends on who you're playing against. The only stages I've heard generally accepted as good pika stages are poke stadium and corneria. Dreamland's decent against chars that don't live forever on it, final d is decent against fastfaller and terrible against chainthrowers. Moving stages are decent against slow characters (and nana, lols).

I like fountain of dreams and hate yoshis story, but other pika players are the opposite. so yeah.
I actually hate Corneria...I know it sounds crazy because of the extremely low ceiling, but 1) everytime I counter-pick it the person I'm counter-picking against has Fox as a secondary and automatically goes Fox, and 2) I always like there to be platforms of some kind that I can camp on or run to for safety if I feel like I'm being comboed too much. I really dislike playing Fox on non-platform levels because it feels like the abscence of platforms hinders my ability to combo them. (note: combo them, not chaingrab) :)

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Well everyone just about can play fox, so Corneria isn't a good stage for Pika against good players.
I beat Oro there. I beat Tapion there. I beat Dmac and the rest of darkrain's crew there. I beat just about any marth imaginable there.

It's all about the mindgames.

Anther

Smash Champion
If you have a jump, fox most likely can't jump out far enough to Shine spike you to where you can't reach the stage. If you don't have a jump, you can usually still reach the stage after most shinespikes.. but it creates a lot of situations where fox can grab the ledge and ledgehog you beforehand...

Top Bottom