• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Pika's Matchups

N64

Smash Champion
Are we talking about fox? I find once you get to a certain point, the only thing you can do is be better than the other person playing.

So...be better.
Lies. Pika must have some cheap way to win. He always does.

Scratch my previous logical explanation. Just pick stadium and wait till the rock level comes up, lure him into trying to shine infinate you in the middle (loldoesn'twork) and infinate jab him back.
...for 4 lives.
Easy!

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Any tips for the Cappy that aren't stated in the first post? I got rocked by a Falcon at the last tourney I went to.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
god, i tend to have trouble with that match up too...i try to chain grab as much as possible. and festizzio once said, fthrow-->run off stage -->tailspike works well at low percentages...just make sure not to go through him with QA. otherwise, i like to play him on the edge a bit more, cuz he tends to own pika on-stage...offstage, not as much: just watch out for the dair and remember he's still got a great off-stage game. otherwise, a good falcon owns me everytime.

festizzio

Smash Champion
You just have to back throw them off the stage and never let them back on. >:D Falcon's recovery is so garbage I like to mess around, like if they're forced to up-b, I ftilt them if they try to go for the ledge, and if they try going over I just tail spike them, then more ftilts. >:D

Also, chaingrabs help. Down smash works wonders too imo.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Falcon is easy. Just practice it more, you should be fine. Up airs, chaingrabs, edgeguards, etc. Its pretty fun, any pika player will tell you.

Omg guys why are we discussing strategy to this game still.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
~No Johns~
Did I mention I'd never played a Falcon before? :laugh:

Mostly it just bugged me when he's dashdancing in front of me. There's no really good way to approach, so I just harassed with thunder jolts until he kneed me.

Also, Fox is way more fun to play against.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Sheiks are fun when you're not getting chaingrabbed...

Falcon is easy. Just practice it more, you should be fine. Up airs, chaingrabs, edgeguards, etc. Its pretty fun, any pika player will tell you.

Omg guys why are we discussing strategy to this game still.
Because there's still strategy to be discussed. :)

N64

Smash Champion
so uh, quick question.

You guys satisfied with pika's placing in the tiers? I know the list hasn't changed in like 2 years, but I was just wondering if you guys felt he is where he should be.

I'm satisfied with it, btw.

festizzio

Smash Champion
so uh, quick question.

You guys satisfied with pika's placing in the tiers? I know the list hasn't changed in like 2 years, but I was just wondering if you guys felt he is where he should be.

I'm satisfied with it, btw.
Yeah I'm satisfied.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I think Pika's fine where he is...Although I believe he fares a little better against higher tiers than some of the characters above him.

Anther

Smash Champion
I've always felt he kind of owned mid-tier and below, and the higher tiered matchups weren't strongly against him imo even sheik. But being too low on the list never really hurts you as the player. >.>

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I'll take a pikachu versus a fox or falco over a Link, Zelda, Roy, or Young Link any day.

I always thought pika was a bit higher than those characters. The only low tier I feel is better than Pikachu is Luigi, with maybe a slight preference to DK depending. Overall though, his placement is okay-ish.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
He's just good enough to be playable and just bad enough that the other guy doesn't bother learning how to play against you.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Double post but I'm sure it doesn't matter.
Which matchups do you find it's best to switch to a secondary for? (Yes, I see the Very Hard section.)

festizzio

Smash Champion
The only match ups I'll even consider changing for would be Sheik and Marth. Although sheiks aren't so bad anymore, so maybe just marths.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
you change for IC's? I really think they are one of the easier matchups for the chu, so long as you obviously dont get grabbed...!

shiek shiek and shiek

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
What do you do vs ICs?
You just dash grab or uptail out of shield. Downsmash and downtilt also work. Once you do that, you just harass the crap out of nana, and repeat. Its surprisingly effective, and I dont get why chu's fear the IC's so much more than most any other character. Just dont fall for IC mindgames and get grabbed like a nub.

I rather love that matchup.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Well they can crouch cancel very well. That by itself eliminates Pika's air game besides u-air I guess.

It's too easy for them to waveshield to a grab and then bam bye bye stock.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I remember reading a long time ago that back throw ***** ic's, that's pretty much all I do until I get them off stage.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I remember reading a long time ago that back throw ***** ic's, that's pretty much all I do until I get them off stage.
Back throws DO f up the climbers quite a bit. I dunno, the last time I played IC's in tourny was against Eggz, and he had to switch to fox to beat me. And that was on FD too.

I dunno, I can see having a problem against Chu's climbers or something, but overall I enjoy the match up quite a bit.

N64

Smash Champion
It's too easy for them to waveshield to a grab and then bam bye bye stock.
also that annoying as hell jab. ICs can just jab your shield. If you drop your shield and it hits, you get grabbed after it. If it hits your shield, you can't drop it (enough shield stun) before you get grabbed. If you roll out of it, they chase with a wd and either jab again, dsmash, or grab if they can get in range.

Also wd->dsmash ***** pika's spacing.

You can gimp them yeah (and can just **** nana if given the chance, easy), but grab means death (or close to it) and they have a lot to use to set up that grab.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Pika doesn't really seem like he has enough high-knockback attacks to separate the IC's too well, although dsmash seems pretty useful.
I've also noticed that Pika's only really good air -> ground approach (fair to grab) isn't too very useful, since you'll just get hit out of it by Nana.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
also that annoying as hell jab. ICs can just jab your shield. If you drop your shield and it hits, you get grabbed after it. If it hits your shield, you can't drop it (enough shield stun) before you get grabbed. If you roll out of it, they chase with a wd and either jab again, dsmash, or grab if they can get in range.

Also wd->dsmash ***** pika's spacing.

You can gimp them yeah (and can just **** nana if given the chance, easy), but grab means death (or close to it) and they have a lot to use to set up that grab.
Andy, you love fighting shieks and hate fighting IC's? I dont get how our double pika team failed! ;)

N64

Smash Champion
i wouldn't say i love sheiks, i just don't super hate it as much as ICs heh.

And honestly, i'm getting more comfortable with the ICs matchup with time. I played Chu's ICs in pools twice (yes, in two consecutive pools, weird bracket stuff happened) at TBMTSB in geogia a couple months ago and it was pretty close (1-2 both times iirc) and actually reeeeally fun. What ***** me most was Chu's single IC lol.

I think our doubles team failed by us both playing pika and thinking he was a good character.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
n64 team with me

i'll be a good character and you can be a not-good character

teaming with pika can't be too different than teaming with fox.

i grab, you up smash!

IT'S INVINCIBLE!!

N64

Smash Champion
all i remember chad is I lived forever (and rarely actually killed someone) and you got all the kills (but usually died first). It was super good though.

I like pika on teams.

Also sure kirbykaze!

Top Bottom