• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Hey, zolga, didn't we play once at a scranton tournament a while back? I could swear I remember your name from somewhere...

Anyway, I came in here to beg for advice on Pika's buffered dthrow cg on falco. I always screw it up somehow, and the falco manages to footstool out of it. Am i just doing it too slow, or am I screwing it up in some other way?
Nope I've never been to Scranton :<.

There's apparently some other Zolga but he joined after I did and he uses Olimar. (And I think he's white)
I'M THE ORIGINAL!
:3

*Cam*

Smash Lord
What tools do we have to get Samus to stop planking? She'll just use the ledge as her safe zone, and it's really annoying. I'll send tjolts, but she doesn't have much trouble avoiding them.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Challenge her for the ledge. I second Samus and although she is a monster on the ledge there are openings that you can get in and mess up her up.

Run off Bair(don't fast fall x.x) to rising Nair is a good way to stop her tether shenaigans.
Make sure that you get her right after she tethers the ledge because Bair WILL hit her on the way to the ledge. if you try it while she's on the ledge she can just roll onstage or bomb stall.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
hey guys,

After playing for a while last night, I realized that my offstage play is very poor. I was just wondering if you guys had any tips. like, i know what to do, its just that i seem to act too quickly or not quick enough sometimes, or jump incorrectly. I was just wondering if anyone could help with what is going on in your minds depending on where the opponent is. Thanks in advance.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
T-jolt edgeguarding for characters with predictable recoveries. Thunder edgeguarding for others. Or if you want to be fancy. To do this, jump off-stage as they are attempting to recover. Now jump straight into the air and IMMEDIATELY hit down+b. You'll do a mid-air thunder without fast falling. It is beast. :)

Shurely

Smash Cadet
T-jolt edgeguarding for characters with predictable recoveries. Thunder edgeguarding for others. Or if you want to be fancy. To do this, jump off-stage as they are attempting to recover. Now jump straight into the air and IMMEDIATELY hit down+b. You'll do a mid-air thunder without fast falling. It is beast. :)
the t-jolt kinda works but i dont usually face ppl that that works well against. and you can get around thunder. i do do them but sometimes i just wanna try to land a nair or bair and i always seem to have bad timings on them. i guess itll just be one of those experience things.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
T-jolts, even if they don't hit, still manipulate space and make it more difficult for the people to recover. You don't have to aim at them, just aim at space that you don't want them to be in. Your opponents will see a little bubble of "I can't go there because I'll get hit by a T-jolt" and maneuver around it into a worse position where you can do real damage.

Variable

Smash Ace
Okay I've seen Anther do a edge hop Tjolt as a way to get back on the stage. Whenever he does, he's a little bit futher back from the stage and not directly above it so he can't be hit when he Tjolts. I've been trying to figure your it out but not exactly sure. In order to be further back to the stage I would try to just jump further back, but I'd be facing the other direction. When I'd turn around in the air it'd be too late to get the tjolt off. Here's a video of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Egx0bgALiA

He does it at 1:27 and again at 1:31.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
Okay I've seen Anther do a edge hop Tjolt as a way to get back on the stage. Whenever he does, he's a little bit futher back from the stage and not directly above it so he can't be hit when he Tjolts. I've been trying to figure your it out but not exactly sure. In order to be further back to the stage I would try to just jump further back, but I'd be facing the other direction. When I'd turn around in the air it'd be too late to get the tjolt off. Here's a video of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Egx0bgALiA

He does it at 1:27 and again at 1:31.
I'm pretty sure he is just ledge dropping then jumping and momentuming back as he tjolts. so he doesnt turn around. idk thats just how it looks to me.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
Another question. My friend was telling me about Quarter-circle DI the other night. He was saying it was the best way to DI and that I should try it out. He didn't really look into it too much tho and i was wondering if you guys had any info on it.

can pika do it?
exactly how is it done?
what exactly does it do differently than normal DI?

that kind of stuff. i tried searching it in the forum search but i got like tons of 40+ page forums and whatnot. so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i always though quarter circle DI was impossible in brawl. it is done by rolling the control stick in a circle in the direction you want to go. like if you want to go up and to the right, you put your control stick up top, and roll it to the right as you are getting hit. it allows you to input multiple DI strikes in a very short time. for me plain SDI works fine

Shurely

Smash Cadet
i always though quarter circle DI was impossible in brawl. it is done by rolling the control stick in a circle in the direction you want to go. like if you want to go up and to the right, you put your control stick up top, and roll it to the right as you are getting hit. it allows you to input multiple DI strikes in a very short time. for me plain SDI works fine
ahh, so its just when you get hit and u aim for the corners like normal DI? ya i guess SDI is just as good seeing as it sounds only a little better.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
momentum is a verb now. two thumbs up.
... i meant inputting commands to change his momentum without changing his direction... i figured it was pretty self explanatory.

Also, is FF Fair a bad approach if your opponent is shielding? can they still shield grab you if u cross it through them?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
@Shurely You would land, but the attack has enough end lag so they can grab you.

@King

Assuming both characters know what they are doing, 55:45-60:40 Pika. If we don't run ZSS can't kill at all. We also have a CG and one of the best edgeguarding games against her. Our bair also can't get U-tilted OOS, only reverse D-tilt (Assuming a cross-over). She cannot D-smash our smashes, but she can grab them. Her spamming Forward B isn't a problem either, just Shield them.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218466

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I don't really use D-smash...so actually idk about that one. F-smash and U-smash she can't though for sure.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I just checked and technically she can dsmash all our smashes. Her dsmash takes 20 frames to come out and fsmash/upsmash/dsmash give her a 26/22/25 frame advantage on shield.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yes and I even tested it out in game. She gets a guaranteed dsmash from shielding all our smashes if the player is fast on reaction.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I just checked and technically she can dsmash all our smashes. Her dsmash takes 20 frames to come out and fsmash/upsmash/dsmash give her a 26/22/25 frame advantage on shield.
... I punish Pika's dsmash with Ike's ftilt OoS... You saying i can do that EDIT (I found my error) to pika's fsmash too???

And by your theory, Ike should be able to ftilt Pika's usmash too since it only takes 17 frames to come out.

That 26/22/25 is calculated after shield drop right?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
29 frames is first hitbox but that's behind, hitting Pika would be on 30 or 31

I know I typoed fsmash but I clearly editted that out before posting o_O

edit: read my post above I found my unclearness with fsmash, meant punishing pika's fsmash

Top Bottom