• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It does, but it doesn't have that much shield push..... not enough to make up for its ridiculous cooldown most of the time. x.x

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Hiya Pika boards ;P

I have a friend of mine and she mains Pika and so does my other friend. They both don't really go onto the SWF but they go to tournies so I wanted to ask what is the best way to teach them how to use Pikachu? I have to become a mini-pikachu teacher so I am trying to learn the basics so I can teach them @_@

So all in all what do I need to learn in order to teach them? *sorry for being confusing x-x*

Edit: also sorry but 1,100 post ;3

Roller

Smash Legend
Honestly, pikachu has a pretty high learning curve in comparison to the rest of the cast. And learning individual matchups is HUGE.

I would recommend reading the guide over, if you can do and teach all the stuff in there, that'd be a pretty good pika.

Important things to know would include QACing (knowing when to use it, be able to use aerials/jolts out of it); CGing (with Fthrow, Dthrow, and buffered Dthrow (MANDATORY for some matchups) as well as Fthrow buffering a run in some mu's. Make sure they know all characters that can be CG'd, the percents for which the CGs will work, and which method is best on each character. There should be a link to a cg thread in the Pikachu forum directory; knowing some of pikachu's mini combos often starting with Dthrow or Fair (can be found in the pikachu forum directory); They should learn how to T-jolt "the right way" (there's a thread on it) and a couple of other things that I will let other people mention..

Roller

Smash Legend
Oh Ussi, you kidder. ;)

I'm jkin' though. DEFINITELY learn your other ****. Those were just a few technical things that pikas should learn. Not everything.

PZ

Smash Lord
I need to learn how to CG I think the only thing i havent gotten decent with besides qac locking but when i was using wiimote that was the only thing i could do and id always ask my friend "how do you tilt?"and he would just say "tilt the control stick" and i would always look at my wiimote and say "how in the world do you tilt on this kind of controller?" or " what control stick?"

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
I am gonna be going on a trip here soon for about a month to other states, such as seeing Yellowstone and going to Devils Tower in Idaho in two weeks. I want to know what techniques or tools are mandatory to having a good pika, such as methods and ATs like QAcing through people, glide tossing and practicing chaingrabs. Note that I cant practice mus because I wont be around anyone that plays smash. Could I just get a straight list of what would be good to know? They can be universal ATs such as DACUS or pika specific things. Thank you very much.

I plan to come back a better pika I was when I left! =D

I'm looking for a straight list of everything you can think of in order of importance. TYVM!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@PZ: I have no idea what you're asking or even if you're asking a question...... x.x Try to type a little more coherently; it'll make it easier for people to understand you.

@Zero: Uhh, off the top of my head:

General combos (uair > nair, dtilt > grabs, etc.)
Buffered CGs (fthrow & dthrow)
QAC
Pivot grabbing
RARing
Reverse tjolting
Uair > footstool > QA & its followups
Ledge options (ledgehopped aerials, ledgedropped aerials -- especially uair, non-fastfalled thunders, etc.)
Autocanceled dairs (a.k.a. Pikastorming)
Pika scarring
Wall locks (dtilt/fthrow) & tech chases off of common walls (PS1, Delfino, etc.)
Wavebounced thunders/thunder walls off-stage

Uhh, that's all I can think of atm that's particularly "techy". I don't play very technically at all, so I'm probably missing some.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh, and planking if you wanna learn how to play lame. Not sure how effective the practice will be against a CPU, but you can sorta practice maximizing your invincibility frames.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
My reguards.
Would you suggest practicing with tap jump on or off? I'm still trying to decide...

(I have my R button set to jump if that matters at all)

Shurely

Smash Cadet

General combos (uair > nair, dtilt > grabs, etc.)
Buffered CGs (fthrow & dthrow)
QAC
Pivot grabbing
RARing
Reverse tjolting
Uair > footstool > QA & its followups
Ledge options (ledgehopped aerials, ledgedropped aerials -- especially uair, non-fastfalled thunders, etc.)
Autocanceled dairs (a.k.a. Pikastorming)
Pika scarring
Wall locks (dtilt/fthrow) & tech chases off of common walls (PS1, Delfino, etc.)
Wavebounced thunders/thunder walls off-stage
how is pika scarring done? i never actually found a way to do it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pretty much QA diagonally-up into the ledge as soon as you drop off. I think the input is halfway between a true diagonal (where the notch is on the controller) and directly up, so it's a weird angle to get used to.

Prime's the scar master, hehe, I never really do it.

Here's a vid of it, demo'd by Prime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUyZkqC0sw

Shurely

Smash Cadet
Pretty much QA diagonally-up into the ledge as soon as you drop off. I think the input is halfway between a true diagonal (where the notch is on the controller) and directly up, so it's a weird angle to get used to.

Prime's the scar master, hehe, I never really do it.

Here's a vid of it, demo'd by Prime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUyZkqC0sw
ya ive seen the vids and read the stuff in the 100+ tech's for pika. just never really understood what was happening. i guess ill try that out and see if it works.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I wouldn't try too hard to learn it. It's more or less a glitch and not so useful. It's quite an interesting find, nonetheless.
That one in particular is actually easy once you start practicing it for a while (way easier than wavedashing for me back in the day). Doing it to shield>grab is EPIC! The look on the opponents face is worth learning this!

Pikachu24

Smash Cadet
ow do i do that thing where you go left and right in place ive tried moving the control stick real fast and pika keeps going in the same direction when i change the angle of the control stick. i heard somebody call it shuffling or something but i need to do it in brawl and keep it going, ive seen it done before but, just cant pull it off can anyone help me please.

Pikachu24

Smash Cadet
well, yeah i know but i tried that and he wont dash dance he just keeps going right in little spurts could somebody really demonstrate this to me.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Either your control stick is broken or you're not doing it fast enough. If he's constantly going to the right in little spurts, that means you're inputting dashes to the right side only.

To dashdance, you literally just move the control stick back and forth between left and right. Really fast. That's all there is to it. x.o

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
Can anyone give me some tips on how to approach Falco? His Lazerz are too powerful for me. I try to crouch walk to him, but he always managed to hit me up and combo the crap out of me. I am never successful at QaCing past his lazerz either.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
powershield, jump over/under and SHAD

after that its just a mind game battle between the two of you.. except for powershielding that's just your reaction

Roller

Smash Legend
What about falco's chaingrab?
Or is that just a "don't get grabbed" situation?
If a Falco is dumb enough to come in close enough for a grab, count your blessings and grab them. Their cg can do like 40% tops, ours goes 100+%.

At the end of the day their cg is almost irrelevant because they should be the ones playing the don't get grabbed game all day. They wont want to be anywhere near you if they are any good.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Don't get grabbed. Or some people let themselves get hit by lasers so his CG isn't guaranteed, but then you're behind, meaning you have to approach if he camps.

If he does grab you, you'll take a good bit of damage, but the spike won't kill you as long as you don't accidentally waste your second jump by mashing buttons.

@Roller: It's not really too dumb for Falco to come that close..... his jab + grab range are better than ours. Since we can just crouch under lasers anyway, he's gonna have to come up to you eventually..... or y'all can just stand there for 8 minutes.....

EDIT: This is assuming a neutral stage where you have a flat bottom to crouch on, obv. On tilting or uneven stages, then yeah, Falco shouldn't be coming anywhere near you if he can help it, although he still outranges Pika decently well. (Then again, there's always the lame option of playing plankachu.)

Top Bottom