• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
good techs to practice as pika (and yes, just practice them, ****)

qac
qa edge canceling
up smash oos (jump cancel it)
dash turn around jump cancel upsmash
uair footstool
platform canceling

and playing diddy does help imo, since he does so much stuff all the time, timing b reversed canceled peanuts to change momentum direction is cool practice, it makes b reversing second nature.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Askin' here to be safe:

1. Could somebody describe to me exactly how the pikachu CG on falco works? To be more specific is there a way to get the CG to end before ~100?

2. How good is pika in doubles? what kind of characters are best teamed w/ him?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I lasted ~7 minutes in Training Mode today, lol. I think we might be getting somewhere.

@clow: Pika's best partner is Snake imo. He needs someone who can kill..... setups for thunder KOs are nice too.

Overall, Pika is a good dubs character for support and camping..... and in that kind of role, he can stock tank pretty **** well. He doesn't work nearly as well as the aggressor tho.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Askin' here to be safe:

1. Could somebody describe to me exactly how the pikachu CG on falco works? To be more specific is there a way to get the CG to end before ~100?
You can try not letting Pika grab you so early. The chain grab will end earlier if it starts at 40+.

Hater

Smash Ace
Hey guys im just starting Pika been a long time Rob main, just wondering if i could grab some advice on diddy and pika as a doubles team

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Overall, Pika is a good dubs character for support and camping..... and in that kind of role, he can stock tank pretty **** well. He doesn't work nearly as well as the aggressor tho.
I am offended :( Snake is actually the better camper/punisher, so I think Pikachu should actually be the aggressor.

bigman40

Smash Master
I think pika works at all areas (I've done it before where I was all over the stage fighting everyone while my partner just tried to keep stage control). You just gotta have the awareness to leave your enemy when you need to help your partner.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Snake can do whatever the **** he wants, lol. But yeah, I agree that with Snake, Pika can be the more aggro teammate since Snake covers him so well.

But in most teams, I think Pika plays better being more campy/don't get hit/keep stocks/edgeguard, etc..... basically be annoying as hell and don't take any hits since we have superior mobility.

At least that's how I usually do it, but Pika's my dubs secondary. Zelda ftw in dubs.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Kayloo D: we did pika/Zelda team in tourney before... pika can be the aggressor tooo :D...

Pika needs a partner who can deal with swords/disjoints

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, and how well did that work out? Lol!

Plus that was over a year ago. Metagame's changed since then.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Nah, Ike/Zelda actually works pretty well -- at least whenever TUSM and I do it.

Like I said, that was well over a year ago...... I wouldn't base anything on the way things were back then. Pika doesn't utterly fail as the aggressor as much as many characters do, but I think he works better in the support role.

Again, just my opinion. Obviously people think otherwise! Doubles is more diverse than singles anyway in terms of strategy, so a lot depends on the teams involved.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm guessing you mean nair OOS? It's effective..... a lot of Pikas spam it, myself included, lol.

But uair works better in a lot of situations (more range, can set up for longer strings of hits), and you have to be careful about staling nair...... it's one of Pikas much needed KO moves, but it has to be pretty fresh to kill.

If you find you're spamming nairs, try mixing in uairs, dairs, grabs, and other stuff when appropriate. It'll keep you less predictable, plus nair tends to whiff a lot once the opponent learns better spacing.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*Guaranteed*
F-tilt (Angled up)
Reverse Up-tilt
Nair

*Not sure*
Uair
U-smash

*Can't*
Everything else (Including F-smash)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
See, I was being semi-serious tho lol. I really do do bthrow > bair a lot...... favorite gimp combo.

Although recently I've started loving dash attack tech chases more. Or dash attack at the edge > read DJ + airdodge/aerial back onto the stage > fsmash.

Gotta perfect 'em. ;_____;

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah dash attack has its uses, its forward momentum allows you to push that extra inch and punish what you may not be able to otherwise

i was also being semi serious >:O

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
When I'm deciding to dash attack, I generally save it for high percentages, otherwise I don't like it.
Is bthrow>bair really guaranteed? I never knew it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, when I say "gimp combo," it means a combo that shouldn't work at all but frequently does.

Bthrow at low percentages can set up for a bair depending on what the opponent does, but they can easily DI away or jump out of it before the bair comes. It's just that a lot of people have a habit of DI'ing back into the ****, or they think they can beat all of Pika's aerials with ______ move and don't anticipate bair's funky range.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Dthrow > nair isn't a gimp combo....... it's actually a pretty solid one. x.o

You failed at this game. >=(

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Wut.

The whole past page+ has been about gimp combos, then you came in & said "And don't forget about......" so it naturally sounded like you were trying to add to the current convo. Lol.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I didn't think of a 'gimp' combo defined as one that only works some of the time, like your definition. I thought of a gimp combo as something that actually gimps the opponent, lol.
And it sounded like we were just listing off combos in general.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
*facepalm*

I'm exiting the thread now, lol.

@Prime: It doesn't. Unless they have the world's most horrendous DI...... or if they bounce off something like PS1's windmill I guess.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
That was a rhetorical question. I know it doesn't gimp. I'm just wondering why you would say dthrow>nair for gimp combos when you know it doesn't gimp.

Top Bottom