• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
KayLo pretty much covered everything I was gonna say. You still have to be very cautious near Falco. You'll most likely be grabbed first before he gets grabbed. He's just better at it. x.x And the damage he builds up from the cg is more like 50-60%.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Cool.

I was playing 0zz today, and couldn't think of a way out.
I saw something in the old MU thread about our Dair coming out fast enough to stop it ~30. It's false, right?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, pretty sure his CG is guaranteed if he's buffering correctly. I thought the dair thing worked for a while too, but it ain't so. ;____;

Prime the CG master might have more detailed info. :p

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
If done right, the CG is guaranteed to take you to around 40% then you get upsmashed which will bring you to 60ish. There's no escaping this! You really don't want to get grabbed. If you want, you can let him laser you to about 30% so his CG won't work. Even then he can still follow up after dthrows with smart reads on your DI and AD. So if you get grabbed and you're not at CG percent, DI either up and towards him or away and down. This makes it harder for him to follow up on his dthrows. Don't always DI the same way. Mix it up a bit so you're not predictable.

Shurely

Smash Cadet
how should pika be playin on CS and Delfino for all the diff transfermations? i dont have much experience on delfino so i never pick it and i feel like CS is just awkward whenever i have to play on it.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
When it came to stages with transitions, I went into practice mode and spent a good amount of time seeing what I can do.
CS an ok stage, for the first part, I think you can get caught on the lip below the ledge if you go straight up from the bottom. On the second, you can CG them off the edge if it's a chainable character. Beware the tilting of the last stage, it can screw up some recoveries.

I don't know much for Delfino except chain grabbing off the edge in some places and the wrap around of the jolts is useful to stop characters from hiding in some spots.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yes he can, however it is harder to DI utilt correctly then thunder. in fact you have to DI the opossite way of utilt then of usmash so it makes great mixups. if they di for usmash, utilt thunder works, and vice versa

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ah thanks Stealth, I was thinking utilt is so much easier to follow up so why not try ending with that instead of very expected usmash or nair

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Depends. If they're gonna DI correctly, usmash gives significantly more damage; if you wanna gamble for the kill, you can try utilt instead.

Dunno why anyone would use nair over usmash/utilt. o.O Except to get him off-stage maybe?

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
DI patterns ARE fun.
I figrued out how easily it is to manipulate opponents the other day with stuff like that.
It was awesome. I never looked from their point of view when it came to my attacks until now.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Back to the Castle Siege thing...

The best way to fight in the first part is either camping from the up right platform or trying to CG using the little slant.

On the 2nd part, staying on the bottom waiting for a grab would be the best. For characters that you can't CG, stay on the bottom anyway. Pikachu is a lot better when your opponent is above you than the other way around.

For 3rd part, play like you would FD.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
Quick question, answer should be easy:

Is "Pika Storming" (hopping + down-smash towards them, then back to original position) possible with tap-jump off? I feel like I'm doing the move correctly, but I don't know. I can't handle tilts with tap-jump on.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yes you can do it with tap jump off. Regardless of if you use X or Y to jump, just put your finger on both buttons, and hit your jump button then attack button simultaneously.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
yeah, its not too bad doing it without tap jump. just need to practice till you get it, then do it more so you can do it in the heat of a match without thinking about it

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Nair is good if youre at the end of the stage, especially if you think theyll di for an upsmash.

If a Falco is bold enough to come up to you and try and grab you first (and a lot of good falcos will try), dtilt puts you at the advantage of achieving the grab first, quite honestly its the only thing that saves you from being ownd by his cg each stock. However if he is not trying to go for the grab and you are, most likely you are going to get owned and grabbed yourself. It's ok though, chaingrab aside pikachu has some good tools for fighting falco, and most likely theyll be playing scared and end up taking a lot of damage because of it. And then generally over the course of the fight theyll probably fall into the grab when their options are limited. Just keep an eye out for their attempts at grabbing you and keep that dtilt ready, and make sure it isnt terribly predictable or itll just get powershielded.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
How do you perform a tilt quickly without smashing? I have no trouble with jumping when attempting an utilt, but when I attempt an utilt or a dtilt I almost always do a smash instead. I can only tilt when I move the control stick slowly. I don't want to use an attack stick because it doesn't seem too useful in other ways, and you can't SDI.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
move it partially, not all the way. it takes a small amount of practive, but its worth it. also if you are going to be using a move or something with lag, you can move your stick to the position ahead of time

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
Yes you can do it with tap jump off. Regardless of if you use X or Y to jump, just put your finger on both buttons, and hit your jump button then attack button simultaneously.
I might have to record a video of me doing it, because I'm not using two fingers to do it....I'm just pressing real fast.

I'm able to jump at someone, DAIR, and return to my original spot. However, I could have lag frames or something, not sure.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You can also try switching the shoulder button you don't use for shielding to jump. That's what I do for Pikastorming and FH tjolts. *shrug*

Without tap or an alternative jump, though, it's definitely possible, just requires good finger speed/positioning.

iiDEMIGODz

Smash Cadet
You can also try switching the shoulder button you don't use for shielding to jump. That's what I do for Pikastorming and FH tjolts. *shrug*

Without tap or an alternative jump, though, it's definitely possible, just requires good finger speed/positioning.
Yah, I was thinking of setting L to jump for that purpose. I'll go work on getting use to that versus the CPU Level 3, M2K style.

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
Can Meta Knight be chaingrabbed ? ._.

I saw many Pikachus do this but I'm not sure if this is escapable or not .

Sorry for my bad english ._.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yes. Pika gets a guaranteed chaingrab from about 20 to 40 something. If you try chaingrabbing before 20% then MK can footstool out.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The CG is guaranteed at 15%. You get 3-4 regrabs, and then end with nair or reverse u-tilt (better positioning for us)

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
If you wanna get technical then here we go.

Start% - End%: Regrabs
15.75% - 15%: 0 regrabs
16.80% - 36%: 2 regrabs
17.85% - 45%: 3 regrabs
18.90% - 46%: 3 regrabs
19.95% - 39%: 2 regrabs
20.00% - 39%: 2 regrabs
21.00% - 31%: 1 regrab
22.05% - 32%: 1 regrab

MK can footstool the first regrab if you start at 15%. I used exact damage for starting percents since the decimals do matter. All these chaingrabs end with you with a grab, so you can end with dthrow to follow up for extra damage. I could've done these with whole numbers, but that takes too much work. =X

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
Okay thanks all 8D .

K prime you're so fastidious xD ( I'm not sure , I used google translate xD ) .

Edit :

Okay "fastidious" doesn't mean what I want to say at all xD .

Also you're a good researcher Prime xD

gallax

Smash Hero
Quick question, answer should be easy:

Is "Pika Storming" (hopping + down-smash towards them, then back to original position) possible with tap-jump off? I feel like I'm doing the move correctly, but I don't know. I can't handle tilts with tap-jump on.
i use the xbutton then immediately hit down on the cstick. its possible

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
its a much more stricter timing than Ganon's where I could Y + A without much trouble. but it's possible. Y and A are reachable at the same time with the thumb so try to hit both nearly the same time. (y first)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I can do Ganon's thunderstomp on wifi, i can't do Pikastorming offline

Ganon takes forever to come off the ground while Pikachu takes only 4 frames. Less buffer time

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Your guys' fingers are slow >_>

As a serious note, go play melee and play with fox for like a day practicing tech skill, mostly one thing. Short hop double lasers. When you can do that consistently, you can do basically anything in brawl aside from Diddy stuff. Trust me.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Your guys' fingers are slow >_>

As a serious note, go play melee and play with fox for like a day practicing tech skill, mostly one thing. Short hop double lasers. When you can do that consistently, you can do basically anything in brawl aside from Diddy stuff. Trust me.
That amusing, cuz I actually learned the other way around. I couldn't wavedash/techskill anything in melee to save my life until I learned how ot QAC and practice the locks and stuff in brawl. I dusted off the old gamecube disk and played and magically I could wavedash and laser now. ^_^

Roller

Smash Legend

That amusing, cuz I actually learned the other way around. I couldn't wavedash/techskill anything in melee to save my life until I learned how ot QAC and practice the locks and stuff in brawl. I dusted off the old gamecube disk and played and magically I could wavedash and laser now. ^_^
Exactly the same for me. I got SO much better at melee after picking it up again.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well, this isn't really about Pikachu so much, but I guess it kinda fits in here.

Does anyone have any good advice for keeping good momentum in a match? I was playing a lot yesterday (finally found someone I could practice with who is better than I am) and I couldn't help but notice that I have a bad habit of getting lazy when I'm in the lead. It seems like I can do alright on the first stock, but after that I kinda lose focus and start getting destroyed. I can usually get it back on the last stock, but by then it's too late to swing the game back to my favor.

It's probably just something that comes with experience, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help stay focused in a match.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Uhh, any tips for increasing tech skill without Melee?

My tech skill.... absolutely sucks. Like, I have trouble doing the most basic things half the time..... it's horrible.

Tips outside of Training Mode/CPUs preferred, because I get bored after 5 minutes. But maybe if I have a set goal, that'll make me more focused.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well, this isn't really about Pikachu so much, but I guess it kinda fits in here.

Does anyone have any good advice for keeping good momentum in a match? I was playing a lot yesterday (finally found someone I could practice with who is better than I am) and I couldn't help but notice that I have a bad habit of getting lazy when I'm in the lead. It seems like I can do alright on the first stock, but after that I kinda lose focus and start getting destroyed. I can usually get it back on the last stock, but by then it's too late to swing the game back to my favor.

It's probably just something that comes with experience, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help stay focused in a match.
Normally when you have momentum, your opponents become desperate to get the momentum back to neutral or in their favor, so they will start either being really aggro or really campy. If they are campy, just wait for them to stop since you are winning. If they go aggro, read their mistakes (Unless they are a master at aggression they are going to make some) and capitalize, which will then make it further in your momentum since they can't stop you.

Uhh, any tips for increasing tech skill without Melee?

My tech skill.... absolutely sucks. Like, I have trouble doing the most basic things half the time..... it's horrible.

Tips outside of Training Mode/CPUs preferred, because I get bored after 5 minutes. But maybe if I have a set goal, that'll make me more focused.
Spam dash dancing, FH jolts from your jump button to B (NOT a button you mapped to special), Try diddy's dribbling, the fastest things in the game you can think of (Infinite Dimensional Cape works too).

Top Bottom