• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Well, I kinda do have a question. I dont know if I asked this already, but I might as well do so again since I was looking at some of my files. Are there any good Pika players who happen to have some good and hopefully recent Pit experience?

Long story short, I'm trying to pick up some Pika info for Pit's matchups, which I have in a document. Apparently, one of the matchups that I don't have much stuff on is Pikachu, and I wish to know the names of some good Pit-experienced (hopefully not too biased) Pika players, so I can get the matchup done, and be one character closer to finally finishing all the Pit matchups once and for all.

You can contact me via PM or AIM (AIM is recommended for certain reasons). Thanks in advance.
I play R@vyn so PM me your AIM at any time and I'll talk to you about the MU. Or you can just talk to him about it since he knows it from your perspective more.
If you want to AIM me its Ercyman. I'll be on the rest of the day anyway.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I guess that's good, but i prefer not to speak to R@vyn bout this, for more than 1 reason, but one of em is that I would like the Pika player's point-of-view on the matchup, like getting both sides to the story, you know.
It doesnt even have to be 1 Pika either. It could be more than one that can help, and the more, the better.

J4pu

Smash Champion
i saw somebody SDI the usmash into the ground so they could punish it against anther
if you're at high percent I don't think the usmash percent is worth getting killed for.

altairian

Smash Lord
THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS LEMON!

I was playing ADHD on wifi and when i F-throw u-smash at 0 he fair'd me...is that guaranteed for him?
I noticed in one of your games against Shaky you missed the fthrow->usmash at low % as well. Like prime said I think you're usmashing too late, if I'm not mistaken it's guaranteed on the entire cast below 20-30% or so.

Roller

Smash Legend
Just a quick question, how do you do a QAC?
Quick Attack Cancel (QAC) -- This is the bread and butter of Pikachu's ATs. Basically, if you Quick Attack into the ground or a platform at a downward angle, you're granted a brief window of time in which you can jump or perform an aerial (though out of them all, only the ground shock wave of dair will have time to come out). The jump you perform is a "second jump," so you can't short hop it, but you can attack, airdodge, or even do another QA! This is Pikachu's fastest way of getting around and can be essential to a top-level Pikachu's game.

Pikachu has many options out of QAC. One very effective use is when you QA through your opponent, you can jump, uair, and start comboing them from there. You can also QAC > dair, and it will send out the shock waves from the dair, which can catch your opponent off-guard. Another of the more common uses for QAC is QAC > thunder, which will stop your momentum dead in its tracks and unleash the deadliest move in Pikachu's arsenal: THUNDER. Can be very deadly.

Play around with QAC in Training Mode and learn to perfect your control over it before attempting to use it offensively in a real match. Its effectiveness comes from its unpredictability, because honestly, it's easily shielded or outprioritized by other moves if you use it to approach too often. (Zelda's usmash, anyone?) It should mainly be used for maneuvering around the stage, retreating (in such cases often ending with jump > tjolt), or confusing the hell out of your opponent.

It must be noted that normally when you QA, there is landing lag (24 frames vs. a normal 2-frame landing). However, with QAC, the lag is saved until the next time you land without an attack. Let's say you QAC 3 times in a row for fun, then land with an nair at the end. The next time you land normally, there will be lag from the first QA, so make sure you don't get punished for it!

Quick Attack Cancel is demonstrated in Part 1 of 5ive's Pikachu Video Guide.
That's straight from the pikachu guide; I'd advise reading through the entirety of the guide, it's a good resourse and can answer many of your questions like this one. I know it is long, but you really need to know pretty much all of what is said in it.

Hope this helped.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Just a quick question, how do you do a QAC?
once you learn how to preform QAC[listed above] try it from different angles. Start from a horiztional QAC, aim pika down and he'll QAC into the ground where you'll jump out of it. you can even start QAC forwards and QAC to the opposite direction and cancel! Into any aerial you want. When you start thinking of QAC that way theres all sorts of fun things you can do out of it. Even QAC'ing to the ledge of a platform to quickly edgeguard.

altairian

Smash Lord
Ooh that reminds me, how exactly do you quick attack from the stage to the ledge without SD'ing? I've done it randomly a couple times but I don't really know what I did different that made it work then.

J4pu

Smash Champion
the easy way is to use the first part of the QA down towards the edge (so that you go past it) then the 2nd QA back up towards the stage.

the harder way involves ledge-canceling the QA or something which I've only ever done on accident like you.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The right way is to move the control stick to the neutral position after you QA and before Pika reaches the edge. Keeping any downward direction held down will make Pika QA past the ledge and SD.

ADHD

Smash Hero
THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS LEMON!

I was playing ADHD on wifi and when i F-throw u-smash at 0 he fair'd me...is that guaranteed for him?
Well it's sort of like you're stupid crap where you hit me with your dumb low frame stuff really close to the ground out of my cool combo shenanigans!

~also i am very rusty johns but you helped me get back into the feel of the game :)

J4pu

Smash Champion
The right way is to move the control stick to the neutral position after you QA and before Pika reaches the edge. Keeping any downward direction held down will make Pika QA past the ledge and SD.
oh, yeah there's that but I've also has times where i would fall off the edge out of QA not in freefall and even have my 2nd jump, how does that happen

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
That's edge canceling. It's where you QA from a certain distance and angle to where your QA will end right on the edge of the stage then slide off. Touching the ground before you slide off is what gives your jumps back.

altairian

Smash Lord
ahhh duh that makes sense. I'll have to play around with it more.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
>_> thats still not what I'm talking about. I hit him with F-throw U-smash. After that, before i could shield, he hit me with a fair. Is that actually possible?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
>_> thats still not what I'm talking about. I hit him with F-throw U-smash. After that, before i could shield, he hit me with a fair. Is that actually possible?
Yeah, I believe he can always hit you after the usmash at 0%. Usmash is just too laggy. x.x

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
...... thats exactly what i said esam, that they can hit you before you can shield after the usmash. i know marth can, didnt know about diddy. what i meant with distance before, is that it doesnt send them far enough away at 0 to get him out of range

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
Man, I'v been gone for like ever xD.
I'v been like OD busy with School, Girlfriend, friends etc.
So this being hte Question and answer boards
What did I miss? Anything new? :D

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
i know marth can ff a fair and hit us too. usmash just doesnt get enough distance/hitstun on a few chars at 0.
Against marth can't he just buffer an up b against us and we're boned before we can usmash? I see this a lot and usually try to bait out their up b and punish from this point.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i played marth the other day for the first time and really liked him. are other pikas outthere prone to use him? idk he just feels...familiar i guess.

altairian

Smash Lord
Against marth can't he just buffer an up b against us and we're boned before we can usmash? I see this a lot and usually try to bait out their up b and punish from this point.
At low %'s fthrow->usmash is a true combo, so even Marth can't get out of it. If he's over 20% or so then yeah he could buffer an up-b. I'm pretty sure the thing you quoted was referring to after the usmash hits though :o

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
At low %'s fthrow->usmash is a true combo, so even Marth can't get out of it. If he's over 20% or so then yeah he could buffer an up-b. I'm pretty sure the thing you quoted was referring to after the usmash hits though :o
I understand that he was talking about after usmash but it seems irrelevant if the usmash won't hit because he buffers his up b. I could have sworn that marth can get out of it at 0, maybe vs marth I've just been lazy and not buffering my dashes.

Top Bottom