• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Meh, I always felt better with platform cover, but maybe it's a personal preference.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
for me i like having more directions to come at olimar. plus his usmash ***** those platforms x.x and yeah lylat is also a good stage for olimar.

EDIT: exactly what prime said VVV

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Platforms protect Olimar from aerial approaches and aerial jolts. If he just camps under a platform, all he has to worry about is approaches from the side.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Not all platforms are created equal.

I was thinking more along the lines of PS1 and Delfino rather than BF or Lylat.

But like I said: personal preference. I just go where I like to play.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Can we agree Frigate Orpheon is a good place to take Snake?
It's a double edged sword. You really have to watch out for his C4s and Nades and keep track of them really well. YOu won't be able to see them for the most part. Also, on the flipped part, the platforms that come in from the side can help save him from a gimp...I personally take them the PS1, but that is just because i like the level...

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
So I was messing around with a level 9 cpu pikachu on smashvile and he used the platform to cancel his thunder and do two in a row they both came out at almost the same time. Figured id ask here if this was known to be done or not?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If you thunder on a moving platform, sometimes it'll separate into separate rods. Not sure exactly how it happens, but it's been known for a while.

Maybe someone else can clarify, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing we discovered a long time ago.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Ok. Again silly question. I was wondering for a while now....I'm using the default controller settings with my gamecube controller. I don't use the x button at all, I was wondering what/if you guys have your button set to anything?

...I'm sorry for this random question, I swear this is the last question this month.

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Ha haven't been here in a while. Good to see this place.

Anyway, I always jump with X, tap jump is off and Y is shield because I never seem to push L or R down all the way, haha.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Lol, don't apologize for the questions. This is the Q&A thread, you can ask as many questions as you like. I don't think anyone changes their x/y button for anything except for maybe grab cause it's easier for them to buffer with than Z.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
....and just like that I love x grab. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself because my z button is cracked (one and only 8 year old controller :) ) It's even useful with jiggz.
*throws ♥ at Prime*

J4pu

Smash Champion
I was watching anther vs M2K video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdu7bUmdrUk
and it seems like SDI'ing out of Dsmash leads to some decent QAC lock opportunities. Most of the time they seem to be able to roll long before you could recover and QAC, but eh, just something I noticed.
So my reason for posting this here, does SDI'ing out of Dsmash often lead to landing on the ground so quickly? I don't remember that being the case, but it kept happening in this match.

oh, and anther is freakin awesome

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Depends how someone SDI's dsmash. Some people tend to SDI in a way that leads to them being grounded/having to tech..... other people mash more in an upwards direction that'll send them to the side/up.

For example, when I mash out of dsmash, I almost always end up going sideways but still in the air. I kinda do it that way on purpose because I'm balls at teching.

But yeah, you can setup QAC locks out of dsmash if you're fast enough.... they usually have time to roll or get up before you can get there, though.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
No, FF fair combos are true combos. If you do it right, they're in too much hitstun to do anything.

If he's dsmashing out of it, you're either:

- too slow
- trying to follow up with a move that's too slow
- hitting with too many hits of fair (the last hit has more knockback)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oh, that's why.

The opponent has to be grounded for it to work, lol.

I mean, if they're close to the ground, you can sometimes catch them with a followup by surprise..... but it's really only a true combo if they're not in the air.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I wouldn't call it a true combo. They can use their second jump to escape any follow ups after ff fair.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pretty sure somebody (Ussi, I think, way back in the day) posted frame data that showed a frame advantage.

Lemme go find it.

EDIT: I found it. Basically, Pika has a +2 frame advantage on every hit of fair but the last hit (which has more knockback). First hit actually gives a +3 advantage, but for all intents and purposes, let's just say he has +2. This includes his landing lag but doesn't include the opponent's landing lag (which is why the combo works).

They can DI up + jump, but it depends on the character and how many hits of fair you land. The less hits, the harder it is for them to DI. Heavy characters like Bowser/Snake/etc. pretty much have no chance no matter what.

So, @Cam: no, ROB shouldn't be able to dsmash you. I dunno how quickly his fair comes out, but he's floaty, so maybe he's one of the characters who can jump out. *shrug* I've never had a ROB jump out of mine, though.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yeah, the frame advange is very small and changes depending what they do. They can either land, airdodge land, or double jump. When they land normally is when you have the most frame advantage and is when the follow ups actually work.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Not all characters can jump out, though. And it's really only a problem if you're landing with, say, 4 hits.

If you're only landing ~2, you should be fine.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
All characters can always jump out, even Bowser and Snake, but only at low to mid percents. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do fair combos at low percents because they won't always jump out.

Also that frame data isn't reliable because the frame advantage will always be different. It can be lower or higher depending on when you land after your last hit with fair.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
@Prime: I think you misunderstood what I was saying @the second part.

Whatever, though, we're obviously working with two different understandings of how the frame advantage works. Point is: if you're only hitting with 2-3 hits of fair, you'll be fine. ROB shouldn't be able to dsmash, and a vast majority of the time (in my experience, all the time, but I tend to hit with less fair hits), you'll be able to follow up with something after a ff fair.

EDIT: Maybe you can do some testing..... gogogo!

*too lazy*

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You really should only use utilt if they're behind you. They can sometimes shield it or attack if they're in front. I recommend doing grab, dsmash, or ftilt if you land in front of them.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I'm not always facing the right way for a grab or ftilt (so yeah, they're behind me). I don't usually dsmash since they can DI out so fast, but I do it sometimes if they aren't expecting it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
You can always reverse utilt if they're in front of you. The turnaround makes it come out a frame or two slower, but it usually works just fine.

Top Bottom