• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Oh yeah, turnaround utilt works too. If you buffer the turnaround utilt, you won't have to sacrifice any frames just to turn.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
If you buffer the turnaround utilt, you won't have to sacrifice any frames just to turn.
Really? I didn't know that, I thought it still took a frame to turn around when you buffer it.

Kick ***, maybe I'll do it more often.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I think I'm just going to have to get a friend to go into training mode with me to see how well ROB can escape. I only remember he was frustrating me by escaping with fair and dsmash, although I may have been sandbagging a little too much (as in, taking my combos for granted).

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I normally Fair-nair for kill. That is viable since at higher % we have more frame advantage right?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
you can also SDI the fair up and jump to escape combos
Which is why less hits = less of a chance of them escaping.

I normally Fair-nair for kill. That is viable since at higher % we have more frame advantage right?
Yeah, but lighter/floatier characters can still jump out. At least, I've had it happen..... nair's range is pretty balls.

But it's pretty much guaranteed on bulky/heavy characters who can't DI away as well or have large hurtboxes.

Kantō

Smash Champion
no u can get them in a lock if they stupidly lay there for a min. ive been practicing this as well and am trying to base an entire stratedy using camping/QAC

ive also been experimenting with thunderjolt placement from the air to knok them on the ground into a QAC lock. if any one has any kool ideas or info on this please inform me!

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
say I do a Uair > FS > QA to the ground but miss hitting them, is there time to cancel it into another QA before they get up?
Nope. You have to react to their fall and go that direction accordingly. Since pikachu's QA is huge you can just wait a little bit and use a double input if need be.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
At which percentages will a uair start to combo into uair/bair/nair? 40 or something?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Prime's Mr. Frame Man, so he'll probably come in with all the exact percentages and stuff, but. :urg:

I can usually do one of the three at pretty much any percentage, lol. Depends which part of the tail you hit with, too.... when I'm playing Zelda, it's possible for me to DI away + sweetspot bair Pika while he's going for the nair if I get hit behind him.

Uair > uair in particular seems to always work.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
Ha haven't been here in a while. Good to see this place.

Anyway, I always jump with X, tap jump is off and Y is shield because I never seem to push L or R down all the way, haha.
I know this post was on the last page but I was scrolling through and saw it.

You should take out the springs on your L and R buttons! It just takes a tri wing screwdriver.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Using Y is just fine for shielding, and it makes it easy to jump out of shield since all you have to do is slide your finger over. Taking springs out seems unnecessary because you could just set an actual button to shield instead...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I like.... having R for shield, though. =X

And I use L for jump sometimes, so having the springs out makes it easier to SH with the L button (for Pikastorming, jumping out of QAC, rising tjolts, and LKs OOS with Zelda).

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
For that I just put X to special so I can slide my fingers quickly. I never had a problem with that because I was so used to double missiling in Melee...which is pretty quick.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Well look at you with the solution for everything. >=(

Nah, but I like my control scheme. I have slow fingers (only in Brawl.... get @my 91 wpm, 100% accurate typing), so it works for me.

altairian

Smash Lord
It's actually pretty easy to pikastorm using X jump and A attack. You just have to roll/slide/whateverworksforyou your thumb from X to A (I usually roll from the bottom corner of X to A to consistently SH it) and you'll buffer the aerial. Instead of uair you'll get a jump cancel upsmash using that input "technique", which is also handy ;)

But yeah everyone's got their own schemes that work for them. I actually didn't think I'd be able to pikastorm with my control setup until I just randomly tried seeing how fast I could hit down and A after jumping with X and it worked :p

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I can Pikastorm with X + A (that's how I originally did it, after all), it's just easier with L. And I'm lazy. I like easy.

But yeah, everybody has their own preferences.... the only control setup I hate seeing people use for Pika is B-sticking. Never fails that their only excuse is, "But it's easier to do QAC aerials that way!!!" Or wavebounce thunder. Stupid ****.

/pet peeve

EDIT: Good **** @isaccard. Unique controls ftw!

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I just do my pikastorming with the c-stick and up. Mostly default controls + xgrab for the win!

J4pu

Smash Champion
pika storming with X for jump and Cstick for the aerial
requires quite a bit of effort to get my fingers to move that fast though.

L shielding ftw, R>attack for sheik's DACUS, and Y>Jump for using quick side specials after jumping (falco)

Kantō

Smash Champion
i use y for jump normally, but up for QAC's. i tried turning tap jump off for easier uptilts, but i was surprised at how much i actully used up to jump.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I kinda do have a question. I dont know if I asked this already, but I might as well do so again since I was looking at some of my files. Are there any good Pika players who happen to have some good and hopefully recent Pit experience?

Long story short, I'm trying to pick up some Pika info for Pit's matchups, which I have in a document. Apparently, one of the matchups that I don't have much stuff on is Pikachu, and I wish to know the names of some good Pit-experienced (hopefully not too biased) Pika players, so I can get the matchup done, and be one character closer to finally finishing all the Pit matchups once and for all.

You can contact me via PM or AIM (AIM is recommended for certain reasons). Thanks in advance.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
o.o

I don't think good Pikas and Pits ever play each other, lol. Unless Stealth still plays against uhhh... whats-his-name from Kansas.

I played Rogue Pit fairly recently, but he was out of practice, and I still lost, so..... yeah. One of my crewmates plays Pit too, but it's a very mediocre one, so I dunno if I could really give much insight. :ohwell:

tekkie

Smash Master
so when trying to get out of pika's dsmash double-sticking in a direction doesn't always seem to work. what influences how to get out of it?

or, how the **** do i get out of dsmash

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
o.o

I don't think good Pikas and Pits ever play each other, lol. Unless Stealth still plays against uhhh... whats-his-name from Kansas.

I played Rogue Pit fairly recently, but he was out of practice, and I still lost, so..... yeah. One of my crewmates plays Pit too, but it's a very mediocre one, so I dunno if I could really give much insight. :ohwell:
I see, well this can be difficult on my part. Well, if there is any special Pika info that should be known besides the QAC, that helps too. Besides, I guess anything is better than nothing.

Top Bottom