• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom Hits 2 CONFIRMED December 5th (First post update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

COEY

Smash Lord
your problem is that you were just looking at the numbers, for instance when only 6 players remain in the LB and 2 come into it from the WB then who gets to decide who plays the players coming from WB? cant just base that on bracket position or the bracket is highly unfair and and more easily riggable. the only way to balance the number problem is to have the LB play a stupid amount more games than WB which also isnt fair.

maybe 3rd places could do a single elim bracket for the title of king scrub <3

also sorry to rain on your maths parade :(

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
LD: why would you pick tamoo?
lol COZ I WILL DESTROY YOU! I was just giving an example chill!

I think I'm going to go with 16 man bracket and top2 go through with 8 pools of 5 (prob some with 4 or 6)

I know it seems harsh but thats life and Uk tournaments are highly competitve
Whats the point then you may aswel have a tournament with JUST SEEDS, I dont care I'll say it strait up, if this is ment to be a big tournament: its sh;t absolute sh;t you may aswell have a side event with seeds only that would be better for everyone!

rustediron

Smash Lord
last 5 nationals were in order from most recent

shs1
ph1
ggt2
ggt
alt?
chj (i know thats 6 but it was very close to alt considering how the rest of them are quite far apart)

Professor Pro - obvious seed
Charles - obvious seed
VA - obvious seed
Frost - i know he attended either chj or atl if not both and finished very highly placed
Chrisboi - was at one of the ggts? if not was definitely at one of those liverpool events, finished both aiko and amcd. proper finished as welll.
Edwin - see frostbyte
Jo3 - well finished 7th at shs1 for a start but also placed at all the tourneys listed
Bullet Bill - placed at all the events hes attended on that list, except shs1 which only ranked the top 8 placings.

plus the fact each of the players on that list has at least 2 years of competitive smash experience, competing for national pride is much more pressure than youd think dont under estimate the value of that experience, imo of all the high seeds the only theorectical swap for ben would be for kman who was repping it with me, joe, charles, plus quite a few others back in summer of 2007 in sweden, ROS4 seems so long ago now :/
Frosty came 3rd and Chrisboi 4th in GGT, Chrisboi not only finishing both aiko and amcd but Prof as well :)

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
no, you have to beat one of the seeds in your pool in order to make the bracket. This is a UK tournament so it will be a LOT harder than just ranbats

Deathgazer

Smash Ace
Right, im definately confirmed for this, what time is it best for me to call Duncan or Bullet Bill for picking up at the train station? Il be in southampton on friday aswel.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Haha dont worry bout it, just a bit of banter, I don't mean any of what I said, presuming dave didn't either (cos he's wrong ;) )

And cool, 5mins is win
Possibly one of the more delusional things you've said so far, methinks :)

Also, Alpha Dash, MM £2?

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Deathgazer- whenever you want rly though ideally not rly late.

btw- if your train calls at ST denys then you can get off there as it's closer. If it doesn't then don't worry we can still pick you up from central

COEY

Smash Lord
Whats the point then you may aswel have a tournament with JUST SEEDS, I dont care I'll say it strait up, if this is ment to be a big tournament: its sh;t absolute sh;t you may aswell have a side event with seeds only that would be better for everyone!
erm thats what every tournament in the past 4 years at least has been like at national level.

i dont quite understand what your asking for, just read above for reasons why a 24 man bracket wont work, plus its alot more hard work, stressful and time consuming trying to run something you arent familiar with.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Might be interesting to have a small side tourney (single elim, straight brackets?) for those that aren't seeded?

Clockmire

Smash Journeyman
I like Calum(one l?)'s idea of 24 man bracket where if the person who won the first match loses in their first game of losers then they get to do another set. I mean, it's preserving the idea of being given 2 chances to stay in the bracket which is the whole point of double elim.

And you get 24 in it :D

Edit: Going to be gone for awhile.

X1-12

Smash Champion
I have two ideas for pools, either do 5 pools of 8 then top 3 go through (15 players) then all the players who came 4th play a mini-pool to decide who is the 16th in the bracket. It means every player gets atleast 7 matches

orr... just 8 pools of 5, top 4 go through but then in first round winner of one pool plays loser of another, so basically it just means every player gets another match,

I think the first one is better tbh but a bit more complicated. idea guys?

L-J

Smash Ace
Ben is it alrite if someone picks me up from the University Bus stop at 11.45ish? (Duncan or Callum maybe) cus I'm guessing I'll probs be the last person to arrive and I don't wanna hold things up (+ I need to get in a few games at least with Joe before the doubles starts)

J03

Smash Master
Righto Ben, hopefully you remember what time im arriving =P.

if not then its 00.30 early saturday morning, or mega late friday whichever way you wanna look at it. I arrive at ST.DENYS.

i have credit if it all goes pete tong but itd be cool if you were there to meet me if possible =), then we can catch up as we walk back. actually how far from st.denys is duncans (i presume thats where we're going =o)

also i KNOW i have MM's with a few peeps so PIPE UP! i dont wanna have to look back through my previous posts to find the list but i WILL!!

also who else wants a MM?? any londoners who thinks little of the North Star? thats what im going by nowdays, i like the biblical implications tbh

Clockmire

Smash Journeyman
I'm loving X1-12's first idea,

With seeding, we can just do 15 seeds, 5 top seeds, 5 high seeds, and 5 normal seeds

So many more matches :)

I think it could work!
Granted, more matches. But the same number of people are going through. The rankings will still be ambiguous.

Although it is fairer I suppose - more seed division will mean you can't get a good top and a good high in the same pool (without getting a worse high as well).

Possible time issues with the 16th place battle.

Meh. What do people want? A bigger, more lenient bracket or more chances to get into a smaller competitive one?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Well ppl always want a little break between pools and brackets, this could be what fills that time :)

The extra time is literally gonna be three sets.

Granted the same number of ppl will go through, and likely very similar ppl going through to the tried and tested method, the whole point is ppl get more matches in, which is what everyone wants when going national.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Just letting you guys know that I'll be arriving at 22:41 :) via train. I'll phone someone when I'm close.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
I know its more difficult but i really think the effort should be made to make the tourney more interesting than a 16 man bracket where the 16 seeds are gonna be in it....

also anyone thats arriving, anytime, feel free to phone me:

J03

Smash Master
rofl its such a defeatist attitude, when i started going to tourneys, my MAIN AIM was simple, beat a high seed and get into the bracket. thats when you know your getting somewhere.

a tourney is SUPPOSED to be HARD and COMPETITIVE thats the effin point! if you aint competitive then dont play smash competitively... or go cry about how crap you are instead of attemping to improve... puffs.

a tourney is fun regardless of how you do in the tourney anyways, so many MM's and friendlies will be played, personally i dont care what bracket you run, i know ill be in it.

the tourney system that weve had in place for years wont be changed by scrubs argueing over the course of 24 hours.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Guys sorry...but ive just seen a train that leaves at 11... meaining it saves me an hour traveling and zero changes and at the station nearest me.... but it arrives at 2:32pm... is this way to early? or can i take it? ahh helppp

monty06

Smash Ace
right could someone explain to me how many byes there would be if I'm even going to consider using this.

Currently I am thinking of doing just a 16 man bracket with 8 pools of 5 (considering the turnout will be about 40)
u using tournament maker for this tournament

monty06

Smash Ace
well if u got 40+ tournout 32 man bracket would be wise. best option i think is to do best on turnout do a 8 pools of 5 or 6 and have top 4 go through.

u input this into tourney software ( which i have on my laptop which im bringing) and it will have 4 ranks of players top seed - high - middle - low. which means most players will get some sort of placing this tourney and gives u a more accurate ranking of uk. this way if any who places top 16 this tourney u know whos back up for seeds next tourney.

also this way bracket matches are more fairer and u wont see top playing high seeds 2nd game of bracket.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
rofl its such a defeatist attitude, when i started going to tourneys, my MAIN AIM was simple, beat a high seed and get into the bracket. thats when you know your getting somewhere.

a tourney is SUPPOSED to be HARD and COMPETITIVE thats the effin point! if you aint competitive then dont play smash competitively... or go cry about how crap you are instead of attemping to improve... puffs.

a tourney is fun regardless of how you do in the tourney anyways, so many MM's and friendlies will be played, personally i dont care what bracket you run, i know ill be in it.

the tourney system that weve had in place for years wont be changed by scrubs argueing over the course of 24 hours.
but i want it to be really easy!

also, yes monte, bring that laptop! we will need it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom