• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
also out of utilt/other moves that knock them up and back behind you, bairs weird momentum properties will push you into them. then it knocks them on platforms! or offstage! win!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I love bair. They wanna DI away? Noooope, just follow them with its funky momentum. :laugh: And once it hits, you can pull them in pretty much any direction you want (within reason) since it sucks people in.

It also has crazy range and priority considering it's just his body. The only thing that sucks is the landing lag and the fact that it lasts so **** long if you miss.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Xyro, just ask bear for help, since he is probably going. Your probably know the basics, but ask him for like what you should do in X situation or something since he has more experience as pika than you do.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Ok i got back from my first event with pikachu and i got dead ****ing LAST. Maybe im doing it wrong or you guys think pika is better than he really is but HOLY **** hes HORRIBLE!

1. How do i kill? I know his KILL moves but NONE seem safe in ANY WAY.
2. How do i get inside the foe to combo? i Get my *** beat each time i try.
3. Spamming t-jolt or to aproach with t-jolt is a ****ing joke. They power shield EACH TIME.
4. Fair is trash, it does next to no damage and the times it does shield poke or whatever they smash DI and i cant combo.
5. QAC is a waste of effort. They can just hold shield button and avoid nearly EVERYTHING out of QAC.
6. I cant buffer ANY grabs so now im forced to do regular CGs and thats ******** cause after that theres nothing i can do that leads to a KO.
7. Pika has HUGE lag after bair/u-air/dair. Is there a way to get rid of this lag or is it just part of this trash character.

Again, maybe im just mad that a ****ty lucas and pit and gw and olimar and then a pika beat me. If things dont change soon, id rather just drop this stupid piece of **** rat and just stay with samus.

King~

Smash Champion
Ok i got back from my first event with pikachu and i got dead ****ing LAST. Maybe im doing it wrong or you guys think pika is better than he really is but HOLY **** hes HORRIBLE!

3. Spamming t-jolt or to aproach with t-jolt is a ****ing joke. They power shield EACH TIME.
4. Fair is trash, it does next to no damage and the times it does shield poke or whatever they smash DI and i cant combo.
5. QAC is a waste of effort. They can just hold shield button and avoid nearly EVERYTHING out of QAC.
6. I cant buffer ANY grabs so now im forced to do regular CGs and thats ******** cause after that theres nothing i can do that leads to a KO.
7. Pika has HUGE lag after bair/u-air/dair. Is there a way to get rid of this lag or is it just part of this trash character.

Again, maybe im just mad that a ****ty lucas and pit and gw and olimar and then a pika beat me. If things dont change soon, id rather just drop this stupid piece of **** rat and just stay with samus.

<.<

1. pika cant kill, nair is like the safest kill move thats not thunder.

2. pikachu is fast <.<

3.haha correct that happens, you gotta change the spacing up and do some mixups.

4. you not supposed to jus fair shields, its mostly used as a lead in to a uptilt/downsmash/grab. most try to FF it and land behind the opponet

5.very very true i said its just for being flashy

6.L2buffer =/

7. bair and uair yes, jus auto cancel the Dair if you dont want landing lag with it.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Ur doin it wrong.

That's one of his weaknesses.... his kill moves are predictable, which is why most of them require setting up.

Usmash is a surprise KO move. It's really only useful as mid-range punishment or as a tech chase finisher, because it's a little on the slow side and not safe on block.
Fsmash is good for when the opponent is landing out of the air.
Up-angled ftilt can be combo'd into out of fair and comes out pretty fast as a general GTFO move.
Utilt > thunder!!! If they DI, QAC > thunder to chase them.
Nair OOS, but the nair has to be pretty fresh, and this is most useful near the edge. Nair off-stage when edgeguarding is also good.
Dair off-stage when fresh.

Learn to edgeguard and gimp people, especially characters (out of those you mentioned) like Lucas and Olimar. Pit is pretty easily edgeguarded as well since his recovery's madd predictable.

Bait & punish. Pika has an excellent baiting game and doesn't really have to commit to any of his approaches.

That's why you don't spam it. Vary your timing and don't be afraid to QAC away > tjolt if they're getting too close. Sometimes you just have to camp your *** off until it works (something I still struggle with, because it does get kind of lame after a while).

Fair isn't for damage, it's for comboing and shieldpoking. You're only supposed to hit with the first 2-3 hits so that you get the frame advantage to follow up with utilt, ftilt, grab, dsmash, or whatever. If you're getting shieldgrabbed, land behind the opponent and follow with utilt.... or be less predictable.

QAC is for mindgames, mostly. Since you seem to be struggling with Pika's core gameplay atm, I would save QAC for later once you've gotten the fundamentals down.

Learn to buffer. Also, there aren't any characters we can really CG > death.... even Fox isn't really in kill range once the CG is over, but you can usmash or nair out of the last dthrow and go from there.

Full hop your bairs.
Don't use uair close to the ground.
Autocancel your dairs by inputting them as soon as you SH. You won't get the ground hitbox, which eliminates its lag and makes it a pretty useful baiting tool.

Pika takes time to learn.... he's not really pick-up-and-play. However, he's far from trash.... definitely a much better character than Samus (no offense). You just need to learn how to get around his weaknesses.

IxxI

Smash Fence
I usually approach with:
-SH FAir's
-DJ FF FAir's
-SHFF FAir's
-Lagless SH DAir's
-TJ's

Everything is mixed up by retreating, landing behind, or following up.
Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, since Pikachu is also about baiting and punishing, what are somethings that you guys do?

bigman40

Smash Master
We got some mad salty people today! Salt all around!!! XD

On a serious note: Give it time, Pika takes work to get good with. You won't be able to just go straight into things like some other characters. My advice to you is to stay with Samus as your leading main, then play Pika in the second match when you win the first match. that way you'll get MU exp for him and get better at the same time.

Xyro77

Ur doin it wrong.

That's one of his weaknesses.... his kill moves are predictable, which is why most of them require setting up.

Usmash is a surprise KO move. It's really only useful as mid-range punishment or as a tech chase finisher, because it's a little on the slow side and not safe on block.
Fsmash is good for when the opponent is landing out of the air.
Up-angled ftilt can be combo'd into out of fair and comes out pretty fast as a general GTFO move.
Utilt > thunder!!! If they DI, QAC > thunder to chase them.
Nair OOS, but the nair has to be pretty fresh, and this is most useful near the edge. Nair off-stage when edgeguarding is also good.
Dair off-stage when fresh.

Learn to edgeguard and gimp people, especially characters (out of those you mentioned) like Lucas and Olimar. Pit is pretty easily edgeguarded as well since his recovery's madd predictable.

Bait & punish. Pika has an excellent baiting game and doesn't really have to commit to any of his approaches.

That's why you don't spam it. Vary your timing and don't be afraid to QAC away > tjolt if they're getting too close. Sometimes you just have to camp your *** off until it works (something I still struggle with, because it does get kind of lame after a while).

Fair isn't for damage, it's for comboing and shieldpoking. You're only supposed to hit with the first 2-3 hits so that you get the frame advantage to follow up with utilt, ftilt, grab, dsmash, or whatever. If you're getting shieldgrabbed, land behind the opponent and follow with utilt.... or be less predictable.

QAC is for mindgames, mostly. Since you seem to be struggling with Pika's core gameplay atm, I would save QAC for later once you've gotten the fundamentals down.

Learn to buffer. Also, there aren't any characters we can really CG > death.... even Fox isn't really in kill range once the CG is over, but you can usmash or nair out of the last dthrow and go from there.

Full hop your bairs.
Don't use uair close to the ground.
Autocancel your dairs by inputting them as soon as you SH. You won't get the ground hitbox, which eliminates its lag and makes it a pretty useful baiting tool.

Pika takes time to learn.... he's not really pick-up-and-play. However, he's far from trash.... definitely a much better character than Samus (no offense). You just need to learn how to get around his weaknesses.

Look i use ONLY samus and Im use to being spammy/campy/defensive/not being able to kill. Slowly chipping damage untill i can kill with ONE of my 3 KO moves(the other 2 are usually weakened by the time i need to KO) so why is pika so **** hard to use?

Like lets take the GW for example:

i cant spam my ONE and ONLY projectile(im used to 3) cause he can powershield and **** me or he can simply absorb it. So baiting and/or being defensive is impossible.

if i attack him, he shields then BOOM!!!!!! He hits me with the credit card.
I cant RUN away when i have NOTHING to keep him busy with(with samus i could run and keep him busy with 3 kinds of projectiles). When i rush in and try to Upsmash...BOOM! i get grabbed. If i ever trip.......BOOM! 99 seconds of trip animation=i get hit. D-smash has got to be one of his WORST MOVES cause all my pals smash DI it and i do next to nothing.

this is ********...............

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Look i use ONLY smaus and Im use to being spammy/campy/defensive/not being able to kill. Slowly chipping damage untill i can kill with ONE of my 3 KO moves(the other 2 are usually weakened by the time i need to KO) so why is pika so **** hard to use?

Like lets take the GW for example:

i cant spam my ONE and ONLY projectile cause he can powershield and **** me or he can simply absorb it. So baiting and/or being defensive is impossible.

if i attack him, he shields then BOOM!!!!!! He hits me with the credit card.
I cant RUN away when i have NOTHING to keep him busy with(with samus i could run and keep him busy with 3 kind sof projectiles). When i rush in and try to Upsmash...BOOM! i get grabbed. If i ever trip.......BOOM! 99 seconds of trip animation=i get hit. D-smash has got to be one of his WORST MOVES cause all my pals smash DI it and i do next to nothing.

this is ********...............
Well, G&W is one of Pika's harder matchups for a reason. XD

I agree, though.... Pikachu is somewhat hard to use. You'll need a lot of experience using him and learning the way he works before you can do well with him, so if you're not ready for that kind of commitment (god, this sounds like marriage, lolol), don't waste your time.

On G&W:

You can play defensively without a projectile. It's all about fake-out approaches.... Pika has average aerial speed, but with retreating fairs, SH dairs, and empty short hops, you can usually get the opponent to move, then run in and grab or jump > fair as punishment (or fsmash if they have a range-y, disjointed hitbox out). QAC also comes into play here, but as with any kind of baiting, you're relying on the player to make a mistake that you can capitalize on. That's just how it is in this matchup.

Bucket baiting is also good.... but dangerous, because. Well. If you fill it by accident, you better camp your *** off and avoid getting grabbed unless you want a dead Pika.

Once you've got him into a combo, do as much damage as you possibly can before he escapes or you finish with a high-knockback move. Even with bucket braking, G&W is light, so he won't be living for a really long time. Also remember that while he's in hitstun, he can't pull his bucket, so utilt > thunder is still a viable kill setup as long as you follow up with thunder quickly enough.

Running in and usmashing is bad bad bad. Usmash is so predictable, it's not even funny.... at any distance longer than mid-range, you'll probably get grabbed.

Shield everything he does and try to keep your shield full, because his multihit moves and laggy hitboxes like to **** spotdodges and Pikachu's small shield.

IIRC, Pikachu's regular trip animation isn't any longer than anyone else's.... just his banana trip is. (I'm 80% sure about this.) You're just imagining it's long, lol.

Dsmash is for: GTFO move, ****** spotdodges, and setting up for tech chases or thunder. Like fair, it's not meant to hit for damage. It can also weakly stage spike people who hang onto the ledge for too long, but that's really situational.

I think I covered everything you mentioned. You should post vids so we can better critique you..... don't worry! If you stick with Pika, you'll realize how much he ***** eventually. :)

EDIT: I wrote the word "****" a lot in this post..... I wonder what that says about me..... (hmm)

Xyro77

I guess i just play really good people and they aint takin it easy on me in ANYWAY. Im going to get videos some time soon(most likely tomorrow or next saturday). After today i am really rethinking pikachu.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I guess i just play really good people and they aint takin it easy on me in ANYWAY. Im going to get videos some time soon(most likely tomorrow or next saturday). After today i am really rethinking pikachu.
They shouldn't take it easy on you. :) But it sounds like most of your issues are the most common things people deal with when they first pick up the character. As in, with more experience, you'll be fine, so don't give up on him just yet.

I look forward to seeing your vids!

Xyro77

They shouldn't take it easy on you. :) But it sounds like most of your issues are the most common things people deal with when they first pick up the character. As in, with more experience, you'll be fine, so don't give up on him just yet.

I look forward to seeing your vids!
Excluding anther(no one will EVER have the over all exp/mind set he does), who should i look at for ideas? I have NEVER looked at samus vids because im the best one out there but with pika chu i can honestly say im below a level 1 cpu. Its down right ********.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I am another pikachu to look at. ALso, pikpika is, but he only has one recent set up which is him vs chibosempai. I honestlly don't know who are the actual nationally acclaimed pikachus besides anther, pikapika, and myself...

Xyro77

I am another pikachu to look at. ALso, pikpika is, but he only has one recent set up which is him vs chibosempai. I honestlly don't know who are the actual nationally acclaimed pikachus besides anther, pikapika, and myself...
i just need some sort of example of WTF to do with pikachu. some basic vids of a pika VS ABCXYZ and BOTH chars are playing right

bigman40

Smash Master
I honestlly don't know who are the actual nationally acclaimed pikachus besides anther, pikapika, and myself...
Definitely not me. I still suck with Pika and I probably play far too aggressive to benefit Xyro. :urg:

Edit: but I guess if you're looking for how to control Pika, then I would say my vids. Yet, they suck so don't take too much off of them.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Excluding anther(no one has the over all exp/mind set he does), who should i look at for ideas? I have NEVER looked at samus vids because im the best one out there but with pika chu i can honestly say im below a level 1 cpu. Its down right ********.
I'm sorry, but I lol'd. :laugh: You can't be that bad (although.... CPU Pika is pretty **** sometimes..... mine QACs like a beast).

We have our Volt Tackle Video archive that you can take a look at: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196002

Players whose videos I would recommend looking at are Anther (obviously), PikaPika!, K Prime, ESAM, and Bigman. Unfortunately, a lot of our better players had vids that were really outdated, so they got taken down..... BadNewsBear is also really good if you can find recent vids of him on YouTube. (He might not have submitted them to the thread.)

Honestly, though, Anther is by far the best Pika, and no one else is really at his level. Second best is PikaPika, but he doesn't have many vids (I think the one in the archive is the only recent one), and K Prime/ESAM, imo, follow behind him. We have a slight problem with people putting up vids on a consistent basis.

There are a few vs. G&W in the archive. Check out the NinjaLink one.... the G&W was kind of ***, but it might give you a few ideas.

EDIT: ESAM, lol, you're not "nationally acclaimed." You only play in FL.

Xyro77

Ill start watchin this stuff now. Lets hope i get at least better than a lvl 1 cpu pika

Kenrawr

Smash Master
LOL.

Are you even noteworthy in your own state?

Moar OoS, please.

What a ****ing insult to PP! and Anther.

/rude and to the point

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol people talk about me in other places...i'm even talked about in canada at some touranments than 5ive goes to. No johns people, just admit it :p

Anyway, i'm done with the cocky thing, i don't wanna get bashed more...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
aww i was expectin more from "attack mode"
I dunno about you, but I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Lol people talk about me in other places...i'm even talked about in canada at some touranments than 5ive goes to. No johns people, just admit it :p

Anyway, i'm done with the cocky thing, i don't wanna get bashed more...
Good idea.

Also, you're delusional. Getting mentioned because of AiB ladder doesn't count. It's wifi. Otherwise, FL isn't important enough for their tournaments to get "national recognition," especially considering you've placed at, what, 2? 3? No more than a handful of them afaik.

That's just me being real with you. To get "nationally acclaimed," you need to move beyond your state border, young one.

I still <3 you, though.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
No ESAM, just no.

They can talk about you all they want but you haven't proven a fraction of what Anther has proven.

If you don't want to be bashed then don't make ****ing ******** claims in the first place.

I thought you would have learned this by now after the first million times.

King~

Smash Champion
Spam is bad for you. And your infraction record.

Bigman, if you see errors in Gallax's write-up, either point them out here (which is preferred, so other people can learn from your contribution) or PM him so he can fix any mistakes. I'm sure he'll be open to your suggestions.

Also, you both use "salty" wrong.... not to mention it's madd outdated. (I still use it sometimes, though..... x.o And get made fun of by my friends for doing it every time, lolol.)

no see i use it aginst him cause he does to me, dosent matter if its used right or not ............wonub

also infraction record O.o

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
no see i use it aginst him cause he does to me, dosent matter if its used right or not ............wonub

also infraction record O.o
Yeah, I was just warning you without really warning you. I figured you'd be smart and move it to the social thread..... good job! =D

Also, #slap ! :mad: You still used it wrong! I'm tryin' to help you not look ********, fool.

Now get in the kitchen. And wear that paisley apron I like.

King~

Smash Champion
O.o

since when are gender roles backwards??? did you get dropped on yo head in the past couple of days o.O

yes'm maam umm hmm i say, right away miss lady!

Oh u better hope them couple of hours your on that chat this week im not:mad:

also You Salty! ahhhhh

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i would comment on esams comment but what was said has been said, i dont need to add anything more.

also, xyro, if you were expecting pika to be a quick pickup char, you were dead wrong. if people know the pikachu matchup, it is a ***** to play, as i found out when i played texas people, they have crap tons of exp with bear. if you are already rethinking using pikachu you may as well drop him. i had the benefit of learning him early on, when he was more of an obscure char to use. i could not imagine trying to pick him up now from scratch, so many matchups i have to fight tooth and nail to win. basically, if you are truly dedicated to picking up pikachu, keep at it. the rewards are well worth it :)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
:mad:

also You Salty! ahhhhh
Whatchu gonna do to me in the chat??? I have teh powerz over you everywhere. Just admit that you are and forever will be my little *****. :)

<333

Also, NO U. Ahhhhhh

Someone is salty......
I hope you were referring to Kyoshi, 'cause I got some for you too, Bigman! Don't mess with me! :mad:

I love all of you.

bigman40

Smash Master
I hope you were referring to Kyoshi, 'cause I got some for you too, Bigman! Don't mess with me! :mad:

I love all of you.
I see you haven't worked on your mean face either. No need to be salty with me bout that haha. I'm just pointing it out that you acting pretty salty atm :) Did you have too many drinks? XD

I <3 ya!

Top Bottom