• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
tbh nah is an amazing unit, and she benefits most really from gaius because his class passes down dark flier to nah: aka galeforce. nah was one of my best units even when i was pairing her with donnell because you cant beat apptitude.
I always struggle on what to do with cynthia tho because i love pairing mu and chrom because it makes morgan and lucina amazing.
this time through im pairing her with henry

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Nah does need Galeforce to do her job properly though, and other characters benefit more from Gaius and Donnel. Personally I paired them with Tharja and Sully, respectively, to spread the Galeforce love to Kjelle and Noire and clean up some stats, and that leaves only one other male capable of passing down the Force.

Lunatic+ mode aside, the only truly hard part of FE:A is its matchmaking. I don't know what that says about it, but there you go.

Also I could believe Leaf is worse. But ain't my place to say.

Vale

Smash Ace
To be fair, if Fire Emblem scaled appropriately my all-pegasus strategy would be horrible. The early levels are just weak enough (on non-Lunatic modes) for the tactician/chrom to gain all of the experience and be over-levelled by the time we get enough children. The relationships needed for children were a great way to force some of the experience away, though, due to the need to get an appropriate skill beforehand.

Also, I probably should note that in Awakening, my team does have different classes, but all of them go through Dark Flier to get Galeforce. Post-game felt lacking for me, though, so when I stopped a lot of them were just Pegasus/Wyvern for the fun of it.

I really like Pokemon, but I'm not a fan of fan fiction, so I'm not sure if writing it is a valid measure of how much people enjoy it. I've been in a few RPs before, if that counts.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
To be fair, if Fire Emblem scaled appropriately my all-pegasus strategy would be horrible.

All of them go through Dark Flier to get Galeforce.

I've been in a few RPs before, if that counts.
There's still too many classes running around with bows for me to feel comfortable with all pegasi. My usual tactic was half pegasi half not, pairing each not up with a rider, and having Galeforce on each. Three dudes drop and I end on a character that doesn't die to a high-velocity twig.

All of them should go through Dark Flier for Galeforce. Few should stay there.

Depends on what kind of RPs.

I think Leaf is aight. Whether this is due to my nigh-infinite tolerance, genuine respect, or plain ignorance is unknown.

Thor

Smash Champion
I will go read it right now. I'm positive that not having read a single chapter will not affect me at all.

And Thor, what does interest you?
Super Smash Brothers. And also Brawl-. Which apparently doesn't belong in the PGD, except for when reveals come along.

Um... I don't have access to my other games right now (and barely have access to Smash through others who brought it here) but FF13 (have barely played Lightning Returns, never got started because there were local Smash events for some time + school, then Brawl- wifi, then I started but then summer college stuff so not here), various Tales of ___ games, and other video games. Would have to look back through my stuff to see what I played (I like Kingdom Hearts and some other games, but don't follow video game news, unless one counts watching new reveals for SSB4). I do not play Fire Emblem, which appears to put me at a disadvantage here...

I also enjoy Magic the Gathering. I was on the debate team and in choir for 4 years in high school, but I don't do that much with that stuff. I was on the Ultimate Frisbee team for 3 years but I don't really follow the sport, and I wouldn't know if any Pikas actually do.

So mainly video games and Magic I guess. I also read various books at times (The Awakened series I got a fair chunk of the way though before leaving the books at home for summer college) but I tend to spend more time playing video games and/or Magic (or doing actual work).

PZ said:
Ya'know, I occasionally lurk from time to time understanding at least a little of the topic....
But I ain't understand a thing on this page lol.
I saw dragons and approve. Nice Work Leaf!
Same here.

TofertheHuman said:
Girls are gross.
I'm sure all the women in the world appreciate being labeled a derogative. Also, what makes you think that?

Pikabunz said:
Leaf might be worse than you, Maan.
Have zero understanding of what this means or why it received 4 likes...

redfeatherraven said:
Dammit Max10n that song's in my head now.
Get it out.
Also zero understanding of what song was referenced.

I also have no idea of what's going on throughout this page... I can vaguely discern it appears related to a Fire Emblem game?

Leaf. said:
I'm definitely worse than Maan.
I'm actually probably the worst person here regardless of the topic. By a long shot.
I'm not really too proud of that.
Worst at what???

Also, anybody know what's up with Anther here? Is ***** really that good? Not saying I'd do any better [lol of course not], but the way it turned out just seems odd... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewbGpDXEl7A

And yes that video is from 2014 - although the announcers clearly have no class. Or does this violate the "No Smash talk on SWF PGD?"

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
i just realized red's posts are the only long ones i read fully in this thread

I'm sure all the women in the world appreciate being labeled a derogative. Also, what makes you think that?
they have cooties

edit: fixing quote

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Commander is fun. The rest is too money for me.

It's Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Song is Toxic. It's now in my head yet again. Dammit.

Leaf's good enough for lunch, I expect meat for dinner.

Vale gets a hundred bro points.

"I saw dragons and approve" is a wise way to live life in general.

I'm all out of one liners.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Leaf wins because his quote is timeless in my memory. Lmao

Girls really are gross though, and I'm straight. Sometimes. Not on the weekend.

Thor

Smash Champion
TofertheHuman said:
I just can't with Thor's posts.
Can't what?

Maaaaaaaaaan said:
Girls really are gross though, and I'm straight. Sometimes. Not on the weekend.
I'm sure KayLo! appreciates being called "gross", as do half of all the pokemon, and also Krystal (And I thought people in this thread were fond of her?).

Or is most of the PGD crowd homosexual and it's a not-so-subtle way of telling me that?

Also why does Vale not like MtG, I have a commander deck but it's bad (Maze's End standard deck because opening the card too many times in Draft/Sealed along with opening tons of random removal in those formats), and most women don't have those small bugs...

Last edited:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
There's too much inside jokes before Thor's time. Can't even with these replies.
:phone:

Last edited:

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
If you don't see Guardians tonight we're no longer friends Leaf.

And holy **** Thor, stop making me laugh.

Vale

Smash Ace
Also why does Vale not like MtG, I have a commander deck but it's bad (Maze's End standard deck because opening the card too many times in Draft/Sealed along with opening tons of random removal in those formats), and most women don't have those small bugs...
Trading card games were how I learned to read. I've played Pokemon, Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and others that have fallen out of favor. Out of the three, Magic is my least favorite one. I'm the 2004-2005 circuit 4 time city champion and 2nd place State champion in Pokemon (final game last turn led to me being one energy boost short of victory) and have made at least $1000 from a year or so of attending large Friday Night Magic locals (winnings combined with my father's, as we would often both reach the top tables and then split the pot) while I was a freshman in high school. These aren't the greatest qualifications, but should show that I have experience on a competitive level.

These are the two major ones:

Lands: Over one third of your deck is essentially useless. The existance of this concept means that random-scrub-deck-23 can beat a properly constructed meta deck in games due to mana floods and shortages. Mulligans help, but only highlight how big of a design problem this is. There are cards that can get you to more land, but they mostly require you to run Green, and in order to use them, you need to already have lands. Energy in Pokemon can be similar. However, it offers cards like Energy Search and, later on, introduced no-energy moves. Double colorless is also a great idea. Energy in Pokemon reward resource management more than in Magic. If your Pokemon dies, you lose the energy. If you power up one Pokemon by too much, you're up a creek. Barely any cards destroy land, and the concept is simply an archaic remnant from it being a pioneer in the trading card industry.

Soft Counter Cards: RED decks focus on using their resources to land a lightning fast game. They sport decent matchups against control due to their speed. They are balanced by a weakness to board wipes and counter-spells. However, cards like Rest for the Weary and Kor Firewalker are essentially GG and only cost two mana each. Side-boarding devolves from putting in answers for cards your deck has trouble with to "draw this and go report your win".

I also dislike the Standard format. The cycling of cards is not required to avoid a power creep in the game and does not ensure it (hello modern Pokemon). I was recently informed that Modern is the new go-to tournament style and will be trying this out soon.

The game offers great prize support and has the best art. The Deck Builder's Tookit is a great concept. I enjoy all three games. None of the three are perfect, and to be honest I'm out of date on Pokemon and might not be able to offer my views on the current metagame. Prze Cards are a cool concept, but their ability swings between offering nothing to the player and giving them just the cards they need to keep advantage, which can be upsetting in tight games where you randomly choose the wrong card and it costs you the match. Yu-Gi-Oh suffers from power creep and retroactive banlists, which causes new cards to essentially make the old ones irrelevant and nullify the point of the non-block formats.

Last edited:

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
You're at straight-laced as Thor, I love it. Lol

Pokemon TCG is simply more fun than Magic. Magic is a game of its own, whereas pokemon is a companion piece to the existing franchise. Besides, having been around both communities, Magic has always felt more boring. Bunch of people only there to play cards and john about control decks. Pokemon fans are upbeat and constantly joking, a lot of that is branding and age demographic though.

Besides, Pokemon does a wonderful job of keeping the RNG that infects the games for better or worse.

Magic needs a real personality for me to care about it still.

Vale

Smash Ace
idk man, yugioh is clearly the best because 300 attack kuriboh is an otk in either other game. 100% objective measurement

i need to try out the new pokemon cards, but as of right now i would rate it yugioh > pokemon > mtg

there are a bunch of books (that i've never had the patience to read) for Magic detailing quests of planeswalkers, and it could be a similar connection that some people have to the game that we have to the pokemon universe.

outside of the games itself, i would definitely say that the pokemon community is 10x better than the others, based on what i remember. i definitely plan to try it out again soon, but i'm currently a jobless kid about to start college so money doesn't exist. i do like pokemon's control of the rng, which i had mentioned in the sentence about energy search, which really applies to Trainer cards as a whole.

Top Bottom