• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Why can't Bruno Mars cross the road?

He's not allowed on The Other Side.
This is driving me insane. I don't care for the leprechaun, but I feel like I should get this. But I don't. Explain this. Lol

Are you referencing that song with Bobby Ray? I'm 90% sure that song wasn't about Bruno being unable to cross, but he's waiting for the girl.

Pls explain this joke

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Lol Maan, don't think too hard about it (because it didn't really make sense x.o).

Also should have considered that my aunt wanted to take my sister & I on a boat today.... and an ice cream festival..... before I got super ****ed up last night..... :urg:

Thor

Smash Champion
Maaaaaaaaaan said:
Are you referencing that song with Bobby Ray? I'm 90% sure that song wasn't about Bruno being unable to cross, but he's waiting for the girl.
Pls explain this joke
Reference to the song, yes, but Bruno's talking in it about being on the other side, and there's a line that talks about people trying to cross back over, and they can't: "Many have tried to go into the night/Cross over the line and come back alive/But that's the price we payin' when we living on the other side".

Admittedly I don't know if it's specifically about racism, and how being with someone who's not white causes them to never be viewed as "one of them again" [in the night might be secretive], or if it's about crime, or possibly neither, but I figured it's the first one, so then the joke is referencing not only the song, but also somewhat dark (offensive? I don't think so, but I suppose it could offend someone...) humor about "the other side of the road [railroad tracks perhaps]" and how it's inaccessible as things were [are].

Make a bit more sense or not?

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
That... I don't know what I expected.

I have to know, what part of that joke made you laugh the hardest? Lmao

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Aaaaand I'm lost again.

I wish there was a big Brawl event at Evo, but I guess I'll have to be content with the odd random fighter match and some really cool Melee play.

Anybody else wonder if Nairo or ADHD will pick up Melee or PM [or does he and I just don't see it]? DEHF, Ally, Pink Fresh, and others have, but I've not seen either of those two play Melee or PM.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I had to work the 4th.

That made it incredibly difficult to get blitzed.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Very true. Sadly, my only coworker at present would jump at the chance to get me fired for tipsy antics.

Someday I hope to have a job that will make such allowances from time to time.

I may already have plans.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I work at Gamestop and literally the only requirement of me is don't burn the store down, it feels like.

Really, I'm just happy I don't have to shave every week here. It's been like 2 months since I last shaved, I don't think I've gone that long in 4 years. Lax dress code is wonderful.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Reeetaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiil noooooo, we don't do that Maan. Although Gamestop seems pretty chill minus the crappy wage (**** pay to be expected from a chain store tho).

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Retail is great for me though, I haven't worked anywhere more than a year without promotion. I left Finish Line because I stayed a key holder for a year. I've been at GS for just under a year and I'm taking an ASM position at a store next week.

35 hours a week and pretty good pay plus benefits to work around video games every day and continue gaining business experience for opening my own place one day?

Can't beat that.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
My best friend is an assistant manager at a local store here, he seems to get by. Course that position actually pays.

Other than that, yeah, seems chill. Considered putting in an application a few times myself. I'd rather make Gamestop's stock rather than their sales, but gotta pay the bills. Always found something with better pay first so far, though.

EDIT: Max10n with the ninja.

Grats in advance though.

Last edited:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Getting promoted in retail is cake, but the fact that you get benefits is pretty ****ing sweet. Plus you're actually working towards something bigger, props for that.

The only two kinds of stores I would never work in again on my life are clothing and food. The worst. Kind of people.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Don't misunderstand, Gamestop is not a career unless you're looking to be a SM or move past that.

If you're not ASM or SM you get **** hours since it's small store retail. But it's a great part-time job or in school job.

But retail is aight, I get to talk all day. 50% of my day is just shooting the **** with customers.

Last edited:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I get bored in retail, not enough meaningful work to do. & the stores I usually worked at attracted middle aged wannabe Real Housewives (or even worse, actually spoiled Real Housewives), so 50% of my day was talking **** about them with my coworkers lol.

Then the best, most fulfilling job I ever had ended up being for a corrupt ass company, sooooo now I freelance while trying to figure out what the **** I actually want to do. At 27. :urg:

Scatz

Smash Champion
It's okay. I'm almost 26, and still trying to figure out my plan for getting a good job for my future.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Nobody knows their plan, don't sweat it. I'm going on 24 still living paycheck to paycheck and going mad with stress half the time.

In the past 3 years I've give from wanting to join the Marines, thinking I had a kid, working retail with no real goal, wanting to join the Police Force, to working at Gamestop and I'm finally moving into a place without family for the first time in my life.

2 years from now, who the hell knows?

All that matters is I'm alive. As long as I've got that I can do anything I want.

As for retail horror stories, people can be incredibly stupid, just don't let it get to you.
Most people just don't understand business and they get frustrated. I had this guy cuss me out after my co-worker told him Madden and NBA 2k11 were worth 1.50 for trade together. People like that aren't worth getting mad over. Lmao

Last edited:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Ugh, I don't. Was a sad day when I realized how much animal care actually meant dealing with ******** owners.

Even the dogs be looking at me like, "Ikr, this is the **** I have to deal with everyday."

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Maan gets to check out ****ty games for three days and laugh about how ****ty they are while playing them.

I work production, so any drama, is co-worker drama. Also stress falls on not ****ing anything up, cause a single mistake can end up in thousands of dollars worth lost just for one shoebox-sized box of microchips-in-progress.

I still need to do something with my BA in CS...

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
Imaging you providing customer support over the phone is hilarious to me.
Assuming that you'd be a total Tofer to the customers.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'm just serving beer and ice cream, getting 9 bucks per hour out of it until I clock out. I'm no professional in working, but I mostly receive good feedback from customers. No trouble has approached my way yet, but I am expecting it.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I can't say much. Finally nailed a network admin job, but contracted with waffling prospects of getting hired on for reals. No present benefits, hours are bonkers and prevent most other part-time gigs, and many nights I'm bored outside my teeny tiny twisted mind. Also paycheck to paycheck, nearly 26, etc.

I get by, though. I got the important things in life: Video games, booze, booty, buddies, and pikas at my back.

In other news, I finally snapped up Tomodachi Life.

The game thinks Mini-Red is really gonna like it on Nadgrabber Island.

Top Bottom