• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perth Major in January - exploring possibilities

pwnsweet

Smash Cadet
Current main hurdles:

1. We need ideas on how to get TV's
2. We need a name for this tournament.

Hey all,

The Perth scene has enjoyed a few tournaments since Brawl was released as well as the regular PK and Joondalup Arena mini-tournys. I've recently been looking at the possibility of hosting, with several other key people (such as Vlade, Muzga, Mic_128 and Bringer), a Major to coincide with the summer Uni/school holidays sometime in January. It will most likely be either on the 10th, 17th or the 24th.

The goal is a 128 man tournament. The initial plan for the tournament is:

1. North Perth Venue with security guard, kitchen and ample parking
2. $20 registration fee covering cost of entry, pizza lunch and drink
3. Either GameTraders or EB Games sponsor
4. 8 x 32" low input lag LCD HDTV and 3 x projector setup
5. $500 cash first prize (winner also presented with $500 giant novelty cheque)
6. A3 sized poster advertising in every EB/GameTraders/Uni in Perth
7. A safe, fun, professionally run event.

The above are subject to change but by far the biggest challenge at the moment is the acquisition of TV's. To maintain a professional appearance we are aiming for all HDTV's to be LCD, widescreen, have low input lag and be of the same model. Obviously this means we can't borrow from the community so if anyone knows where 8 TV's that fit this criteria can be rented from at a reasonable price, please let me know. The same rule does not apply to projectors, so if you have a projector that could be borrowed (even if for a cost) for the event, we'd like to hear from you.

Also, if you believe you have the ability to assist in the organization in this tournament in some way not mentioned above and would like to help, please let us know by replying to this thread. This could be anything from your skills in photoshop for the design of the poster to lighting coordination for the event.

Vlade

Social Outcast
>__________>

I just made a post regarding interest

Who are you anyway? :p

Also, if you want a professional tournament then HDTV LCD's are the LAST thing you want. Lots of CRT TVs are the way to go. Basically you want the Number of Setups to Entrants ratio to be 1 TV to every 4 people. If you're planning for a 128 man tournament, 8 TV's is seriously not going to cut it.

But hey, me and my staff would be very happy to collaborate with you to run an event. It would be great if you could help get a venue for us, I was already thinking perth exhibition centre but we'll see what you have to offer.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wow... the extravagence.

Seriously... this is extreme.

The costs of everything you plan would outweight the attendance, in my opinion.
As 128 I think is an extreme number that is improbable anywhere in Australia, even with major national attendance, with A PROPER RULE SET as well?
You get those numbers at anime conventions with items on ;\

pwnsweet

Smash Cadet
Hey Vlade,

It's me, Rob. I just saw your thread after posting mine. That said, the possible Jan tourney is aimed primarily at both existing Perth players as well as new players who may not even know Smashboards exist. Of course, if people from the East want to come along they are more than welcome.

Perhaps the Jan tourny can be used to test the waters, and if interest is high we can do another in July. Either way, I'll be there.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Hey Rob, sorry about that lol

But yeah I've editted my post. Hmm we need to get together and discuss this :p

And why aren't you using your old smashboards account? ;)

swordsaint

Smash Master
I might add that SA has a national in January.

Also the dates make me skeptical for this.

Lag screen tvs suck. (wifi johns irl plox?)

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Not sure I'll be able to go to something like this, maybe.

Holding it in January is probably a bad idea due to Reloaded (SA major) also being in January (9th, I believe), people will already be spending their money to travel to and attend that.

You won't get 128 people. Probably.

I have Photoshop skills!!1

But I probably won't go so my opinion doesn't matter.. ;_;

Also, if you want a professional tournament then HDTV LCD's are the LAST thing you want.
Nothing wrong with HDTVs if the input lag is low enough (less than 16.6ms or so). I'm sure it's easy enough to find HDTVs that are suitable for competitive play.

Vlade

Social Outcast
^ yeah, trudat.

Anyway, expect something big from perth next year! :)

Was just talking to Rob, we're just brainstorming ideas here and we're aiming for the january tournament to be mainly aimed for perth people, we want to see how many we could actually get and expand on that by throwing a national in July.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
as a security guard myself I can tell you that hiring a security guard for the event is not going to be cheap (out of your leauge imo), and is something you dont really need

Alzi

Smash Master
I can be a secuirty guard. Well any one person in the perth crew can dress in black and keep things under control.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Robert was saying that it was against the law to not have a security guard at an event this big, but he's going to look further into it.

I am definitely against having a security guard lol

pwnsweet

Smash Cadet
as a security guard myself I can tell you that hiring a security guard for the event is not going to be cheap (out of your leauge imo), and is something you dont really need
Fortunately, if we require a security guard by law for an event this size, I know one that will do the job for $200.

Regarding the requirement for a security guard in the first place, it's worth noting that this tournament will be open to anyone and everyone to attend, not just smashers on smashboards. Unfortunately there are always those that like to make trouble. But it's not just that. The security guard will also patrol the carpark and help prevent a break in. We'll see how we go with cash in the end and if we need to raise the registration fee to $25 to accomodate a security guard, I think the added security and overall quality of the event will justify the extra $5. Besides, $25 for a tourny with pizza lunch, free drinks and a heck of a lot of fun is still good value in my books.

pwnsweet

Smash Cadet
I'm looking at the possibility of making up 128 lanyards with registration number and "January 2010 smash tourny name that it still to be determined" on them.

Is there anyone with any experience in this area that can advise on costs?

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
See what one day back on the scene does to you Rob ;)

Love your ideas but have to agree with Vlade on the tv's_ I would recommend just having a size limit on how small tv's can be so we have some decent sized setups_

Dunno about lanyards though_ Perhaps something much more simple to use as keepsakes_ Even custom made tickets or posters would be easier to do_

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
MC will most likely be John from the Supanova and WAICON Cosplay events (haven't asked him yet but I'm confident he will accept). On that note, maybe we can have a Smash/Nintendo themed Cosplay event of our own?
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

We could always do a cosplay thing, but I don't know how many people'd be interested in doing it.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I really think January is to close and the whole SA thing is a thorn in the side.
Think about if we want a sponsor, obviously they want a business plan which isn't easy to make and requires a fair bit of detail for major companies to consider. 4 months is not enough for this, I feel we should aim for the first holidays (over east holidays) which are around April, this way there are no exams for people to worry over, and we don't have Supanova or WyCon to contend with or anything, we'd be a good month before them.

Security guards is something to look into for safety, and about the whole "Guys dressed in black" yeah that can work for security (had to do it before), yet if it's a legal requirement we need to have a professional hired, all connections to people will be useful.

128 people sounds high but I'd say it's doable I mean I know 4-5 people myself who would be interested in it annd I reckon I could convince a few more people to attend, especially with a big prize. And considering our scene is about 30 people usually. If everyone brings one extra person then we already have about 60, but for a turn out that much it would be expensive I mean lets think
128/4 = 32. So were looking at that many TV's, the main issue is that many Wii's IMO. TV's are pains but can be supplied, Im sure everyone has like 2 spares in there house but how many Wii's to people have? Then we go to look at catering that many people, if were supplying drinks we'd expect say 3 cans per person, so that's 128*3 = 384
Even when you buy 30 pack for say $12 on special it's like $153 itself. See what I mean? The point is the cost of some of what were aiming for is expodentially high, heck with 128 people weve only got $3200 to work with, and hiring a central venue, a good $1000 of that is already used.

We really need to logically look at this from a financial stand point and common sense wise from an attendnace standpoint. Refer to point A, January is not enough time to work all this stuff out, and there is to much competition, plus everyone would be broke from XMAS and New Years, I think early April is much more suitable..

Wow Im in tafe and just made my biggest post yet, I gotta work :p

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if luke comes we have one

free of charge

connections bruddas!
well I would, and could unoffcially, but you need a licence to work as a security guard, which I have, but then you may only work security when employed by someone with a security master licence, so seeing as I work for snp they would have to be contracted and then stick me in there, which is expensive, so you could just let a few of us smasher's unoffcially be your security

so you should look into it, because if you dont legally need security, dont get it.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
If everyone brings one extra person then we already have about 60, but for a turn out that much it would be expensive I mean lets think
128/4 = 32. So were looking at that many TV's, the main issue is that many Wii's IMO.
Dont need 32 T.V.s:

max of 3 games per matchup. Max of 8 mins per game = Max of 24 mins per matchup.

# of players = 128 = so number of total match ups is 256, max of 24 minutes per match up if everything goes perfectly so lets say 30 mins per match up gives 7680 minutes to go through = 128 hours. The tournament will last roughly 8 hours SO we need 128 hours to become 8 hours spread across mutliple TVs. This means with 16 TV.s it will take 8 hours. And so AT LEAST 16 TVs are needed to get through the day working under worst case scenario conditions.

True Romance

Smash Ace
well I would, and could unoffcially, but you need a licence to work as a security guard, which I have, but then you may only work security when employed by someone with a security master licence, so seeing as I work for snp they would have to be contracted and then stick me in there, which is expensive, so you could just let a few of us smasher's unoffcially be your security

so you should look into it, because if you dont legally need security, dont get it.
I'm also licenced to work in security, however I doubt the company I used to work for would be interested lol. I'm sure we'd have no problem finding unoffical security but if it's an actual legal obligation it's a pretty big risk doing so.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah could be different over there but here in ACT that would deff's be illegal, also corspy whilst those calculations sound good, people stuff around and wont always be there for a match straight away, it also bottles up sometimes where you have to wait for a match to finish before the next round can start.

and thats just for singles, what about doubles?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If we hire security I demand they all wear black suits, sunglasses, have pointy hair and say "Attention duelists!" a lot.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I think if you dressed all your security up in godot costumes it would be the most kickass tourney ever

Top Bottom